TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Too many torches, not enough lighting...

Too many torches, not enough lighting...

I know that placing too many light sources can break the lighting.

For some reason unlit torches light themselves after they are forced to reload. Drop a few torches around your house and leave the area for a while and then return to see them all lit. I have 8 or 9 torches lit in my home at Whiterun and it creates very bugged lighting, but looks kinda like the house is on fire.

Could i have some screenshots? A bit intrigued how their lighting works - and does not.

Overall I think their lighting system is amazing, but bugged to hell. Some lights cast shadows, others don't. It's weird walking from a realistically and dynamically lit room with vibrant shadows on the walls, right into a FULLBRIGHT shadowless chamber next to it that looks like a HalfLife level without the lightmaps. Eh.

Still, when everything works, the game is goddamn gorgeous (like the midday in Riften as the beams of light poke through the trees, mmmm).

Administrator
    I doubt it's due to "bugginess". There may be some deliberate decisions to not flag some sources as shadow casting, for performance reasons. Probably because you could have several casting shadows at the same time. In outdoor areas you pretty much have on source - the sun or moon.

It certainly would be better if the shadows were consistent, but I can see the difficulties in managing performance issues. Dynamic shadows are pretty demanding.

Okay... I'll post some videos of it. I've been playing around with FRAPS. Mad that it I can't seem to get it to record outside of a game. A fun time though.

Administrator
    It's probably only capturing DirectX surfaces. Have you tried Camtasia for capturing outside a game? It's not free but they have a trial version and there are freeware equivalents (that aren't as polished last time I looked).

Edit: Actually, according to Wikipedia "The Windows Vista and Windows 7 desktop runs through DirectX when the Aero interface is used, and can therefore be captured by Fraps" so that's another option.
    Last edited by Al_B; 23rd Jan 2012 at 05:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_B View Post
    It's probably only capturing DirectX surfaces. Have you tried Camtasia for capturing outside a game? It's not free but they have a trial version and there are freeware equivalents (that aren't as polished last time I looked).

Edit: Actually, according to Wikipedia "The Windows Vista and Windows 7 desktop runs through DirectX when the Aero interface is used, and can therefore be captured by Fraps" so that's another option.
    I just dished out some cash for FRAPS, and I need an editor too. Dia suggested Cyberlink Power Director. I looks good enough. I just can't keep using AE4, which used to make my Theif2 videos.