TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Obligatory Construction Set Preview Thread

Administrator

Obligatory Construction Set Preview Thread

This forum might be only slightly more lively than the inside of the Night Mother's coffin, but I'm not giving up.

I suppose most of you have seen the construction set preview, but what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU4oAKZE1VI

To me it looks quite interesting, with some tools added to make tedious things like event scripting and dialogue creation easier. Also the new scripting language looks promising, with a hint of a syntax highlighted editor there. Trying modding in the previous editors I thought the script editor was quite crap, along with the syntax of the script language...

It also seems that I can't get a youtube video to embed in the post. EvaUnit managed it but he should have created a new thread instead of adding to the patch thread, so there.
    Last edited by scumble; 4th Feb 2012 at 01:47.

I'm nearly drooling over this. I'm seriously excited over improvements shown in the vid, especially the new tools for event scripting and dialogue creation. I'm not as excited about the potential of uploading mods as I am about how much easier it will be to find and download new mods for Skyrim as any mods I created for Oblivion were for my use only (still a rank amateur here).

Even though I've expressed my impatience with the delayed release of the CK, I know Bethesda just wants to get it right and understand that's a good thing. The CS of Oblivion was rather difficult to deal with (for me) at times, and it looks as though Beth. just may have made things a whole lot easier and user-friendly.

Administrator
    Yes, Dia, I think the steam workshop will make it a lot easier to try mods, although it's not clear what sort of rating system they have built in. As usual there will be a lot of crap, and apparently pointless mods so I expect they've thought about this.

By the way, if you only made mods for yourself, were they relatively minor game tweaks? I think the furthest I got with modding Elder Scrolls games was creating a house somewhere in Morrowind. I didn't have the motivation to do much other than look around with Oblivion's CK.

The mods I made for myself were new houses with 'the works'; including specifying what items were designated to be stationary (I got tired of perfect place settings accidentally getting knocked clear across the room) & making sure each of my homes could be fast-travelled to, creating my own stables complete with a rideable unicorn, and rebuilding some of the damaged Kvatch, Imperial City, etc. I even experimented with installing my own NPC's in my new households, but couldn't get the scripting right and they usually ended up either being hostile towards me or totally noncommunicative. Mostly I really got into the architectural type of modding and tried building houses from scratch (some of 'em were pretty strange). But I sure had more fun than a human should be allowed to have!

However, if I tried to run all my Oblivion mods simultaneously, I'm afraid I'd need a computer capable of running a small airport.

Administrator
    Hmm, an airport mod in Skyrim? There's a thought...

... with an accompanying cargo cult faction.

verbose douchebag
    I'll never forget the Morrowind mod which gave you an AK47. Basically just a re-skinned, gunshot sounding, rapid-firing crossbow.