TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Please help running Morrowind?

Please help running Morrowind?

Ok I need help as Morrowind stopped running. I have a p4 1.5 512meg ram xp sp3 with a Radeon 7500 64 meg graphicss card.

I was fine with my nvidia gf3 ti 64 meg but it finaly died and I had to replace with the radeon. Every other game works except morrowind. It loads up and gets as far as the initializing bar. It gets about half to 3/4 and then the screen changes to a blue screen of death saying something about unloading memory. Now I know that the tech that changed the card for me probably never uninstalled the old nvidia drivers. I did have problems with other games until I downloaded and installed the latest radeon drivers. But morrowind ran with the radeon before the driver update. So now everything runs except morrowind. If anyone has any ideas or can help I would realy appreciate it as morrowind is one of my all time favorite games along with the thief series.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingm View Post
    Ok I need help as Morrowind stopped running. I have a p4 1.5 512meg ram xp sp3 with a Radeon 7500 64 meg graphicss card.

I was fine with my nvidia gf3 ti 64 meg but it finaly died and I had to replace with the radeon. [...] Now I know that the tech that changed the card for me probably never uninstalled the old nvidia drivers. I did have problems with other games until I downloaded and installed the latest radeon drivers. But morrowind ran with the radeon before the driver update. So now everything runs except morrowind.
    Well, I can confirm that Morrowind should run with your setup. I have played it for a while with a Radeon 7500 series card with 64 MBytes of video RAM years ago, but that was with Win98SE as the operating system. With WinXP, Morrowind stopped working whenever SP2 was installed. A Windows installation without any service pack worked even with a Radeon 9550, repeatedly.

When I had to change from an ATI (non-Radeon) card to a nVidia TNT2 M64 long ago while I still played Morrowind, the game was one of only a few which would react badly if I had not properly disposed of the old drivers. This is another similarity to your situation.

Now for the bad news. I cannot tell you how to properly uninstall the old card's drivers - I am not even certain that it is possible at all, or that the person who replaced your graphics card did not uninstall the card's drivers. I have prepared image files of my installations in various stages of the installation process for about ten years now, and whenever there's a new piece of hardware that has to be installed, I seriously consider going back to such an image where almost no hardware-related drivers are installed. That way, I start from a system that never even had drivers for an old graphics card (or whatever was changed), and I don't have to worry about uninstalling any drivers. Uninstalling drivers has frequently led to unusable or unstable systems (at least for me), thus I try to avoid these. (Of course, I have to think about how to preserve saved games, text files and so on when putting my old operating system into the trash bin.)

I hope that someone can tell you how to verify whether it's really remnants of old drivers that prevent Morrowind from being started. If we cannot do that, then I see no other solution than to re-install Windows from scratch - hoping (but not knowing) that everything will work fine again after that. Of course, preparing images of the current state of your operating system as well as installation stages of a potential Windows re-install could really turn out beneficial.

Thanks I really apreciate your response and help. I hope someone can tell me how to uninstall old drivers.

Administrator
    I had similar problems with other games when switching from an ATI card to a NVIDIA card a few years ago although I don't think I ever specifically encountered the problem you're seeing with Morrowind. I think at the time I uninstalled all drivers and then used Driver Sweeper to get rid of any odds and ends that might be left before re-installing the latest drivers.

It might be worth a shot and would be less painful if it works than re-installing Windows.

I will check into this...thanks! If anyone else has any ideas please post!