TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Wasteland sequel likely

Going by the thread it sounds like EA has been supportive of both Wasteland 2 and the possibility of Wasteland being bundled with it. No one's posted details on whether money changed hands, but apparently inXile needed EA's permission to create a new Wasteland game using references to the first one, which EA still holds the rights to (things like The Rangers, and whatnot).

I wish they had been as supportive for System Shock 3.

Who had offered to develop System Shock 3?

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Even if EA wanted to support a third system shock game, they currently cannot do anything about it since they only hold the System Shock trademark while the rights to development remain in limbo. Of course, EA could always buy the rights to development from the current owner but I seriously doubt the price would be worth it with regard to making a profit.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...-system-shock/

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Yes, because what the world needs is Bioshock... in space.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    I'd play it.

I'd play it too. But only on the offchance it might not be rubbish.

I'd play it 'cuz it'd stab Koki in his diseased little heart.

The game'd probably be halfway decent though.

First preliminary screenshot from kickstarter update 18.

Last edited by Sxerks; 20th Jul 2012 at 21:24.

Can't say I'm a fan of that art style. I was under the impression it was going to be a bit more desaturated with overgrown landscape.

God dammit NMA.

Yeah it looks off. Everything is too orange.

Edit: Ha. I had to look at it twice before I even noticed the giant scorpion.

Taking a break
    laughably bad

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Yeah it looks off. Everything is too orange.

Edit: Ha. I had to look at it twice before I even noticed the giant scorpion.
    Seconded on both points.

Classical Master 2008
    **SCORPITRON**!!!!! How I missed you!

...and now there are a bunch of people on Rock, Paper Shotgun whining that giant robot scorpions are unrealistic. Sometimes I really wonder...

The level of detail is fine and things like colours/lighting are easily tweaked so I'm not worried.

Was hoping for more foliage...

Classical Master 2008
    OTOH, whoever did this is a genius:

Yesssss!

Just remember this is a pre-alpha screenshot.

In the #18 update it states this is in the Arizona area, and that the California area was depicted in the concept art.

I never played Wasteland, but I always got the impression that despite the technical limitations it was a little more serious and a little less wacky-50s-sci-fi than Fallout. That's why I was hoping for something less cartoony-looking, and more like all the other concept art, which was some nicely gritty and thematic art. I might be totally wrong here, can anyone who played the original enlighten me?

Fallout isn't serious?

Yeah I played the original, then played it again on emulator not long ago... It's, uh, well you have to remember the time it was made, games were still on floppies that were (looks it up again) 720 kb (edit: minor correction 4 disks of 170 kb). So an entire scene could be like "Hey strangers, welcome to blah blah. I'm Sarah. We're having trouble with our blah blah. Go talk to my brother down by the blah blah.", and everywhere you go is different variations of dots moving with little cactii & cow skull icons.

I don't know that it was more serious per se, there were some quirky puzzles in there, but it was definitely more boiled down to the basics out of necessity. You just can't do much when you have 2 sentences to work with for the whole scene. What impressed me at the time was the (seemingly) big open world you could explore, and go to different towns; at the time it was like this game and Ultima were it for that. BTW, comparing it to Fallout is a little unfair because that's already in the CD era and it's 700 MB, so they had the space to fill it out with a lot more color.
    Last edited by demagogue; 21st Jul 2012 at 23:29.

Wasteland was far more wacky than even Fallout 2. I don't think the new game will go quite as far as things like robo-bunnies and killer nuns but I think you should expect some silliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Dust View Post
    Wasteland was far more wacky than even Fallout 2. I don't think the new game will go quite as far as things like robo-bunnies and killer nuns but I think you should expect some silliness.
    Okay, I wasn't aware of that aspect to the game. I suppose a more cartoony look to the game isn't really out of character, then.

Classical Master 2008
    Wasteland:

I could not find pictures of the mutant nucular rabbits and the armoured gophers, but trust me, they exist.