TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Run guards, run!

Run guards, run!

Hi,

I've always wanted to make some guards run from A to B and walk once they reached B. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry Yandros! I'm here, again!

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternauta View Post
    Hi,

I've always wanted to make some guards run from A to B and walk once they reached B. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry Yandros! I'm here, again!
    Sure, just setup a conversation. Any marker (name it) use the "go to" field in the first slot Argument1 type the name of the marker, and in the Argument2 slot type in Very Fast.
    Next, setup another marker, name it, then use "go to" type in Normal in the Argument2 slot.

Example: First marker where you want the ai to start running-name it StartRun. Using the conversation to control the ai conversation actor, using "go to" field, in the first slot type StartRun and in the Argument2 slot type :Very Fast. Create the second marker and name it SlowDown, use the same technique described above, only in the go to field, Argument2 slot type Normal. If you dont want the ai repeating the run/slow motion, then remove the link from the control device to the conversation marker, in Step 00 first field Conversation Action 1.

Example of removing links : Conversation Step 00-first field conversation action 0
    Remove links
    controldevice - Type of link
    RunConv - To
    RoomTrig - From

The basic conversation action speeds are:
    very slow
    slow
    normal
    fast
    very fast

If you wanted the ai to run all of the time then Add "LocoUrgent 0" to Motions->Actor Tag List
    you want add this to WithSword 0, so it would look like this WithSword 0, LocoUrgent 0
    The problem being is that this ai would run all of the time. It may be possible to create your own metaproperty to then change the LocoUrgent 0 back to withSword 0, but if one were to use a conversation, why not do it the easy way as described above.

Creating a metaproperty to change the time warp speed, then returning to normal is another option, but programming the ai to do it at a specific time/area may be tricky, and would require an ai watch object link, or conversation.

ShadowSpawn has some new motions. I would suggest going to his website, and study a bit to learn more about controlling specific motions.

Edit: I messed up on the Arguments so they have been corrected.
    Last edited by darthsLair; 23rd Jul 2012 at 12:52. Reason: made error

Thanks darthsLair!

I don't understand this point:

Quote Originally Posted by darthsLair View Post
    Using the conversation to control the ai conversation actor, using "go to" field, in the first slot type StartRun and in the motions slot type :Very Fast.
    Can you be more specific, please?

Thanks darthsLair!

I don't understand this point:

Can you be more specific, please?
    Sure :

1. Create a marker, Name it RunConv then add>Scripts>TrapConverse
    2.add>ai conversation, add>save conversation,and check the box (True)
    3.Now, link this conversation marker to the ai that you want to run, then walk with an ai conversation actor link Double click on this link to the far left and a window will appear. Erase the 0 and type in 1. Click okay. Save the mission The ai is now actor 1. The conversation will now control the ai as you wish. You probably already know to name your ai's and objects to be used in conversations.

Is this the part that was confusing the way I wrote it ?

Double click on Conversation after opening the properties of the RunConv Marker.
    When it opens, it will open to" step" double click on 00.
    Under Actor at the top select ActorOne, since your ai is actor 1.
    under Conversation Action 0 select "Remove link"
    under Argument 1 type in controldevice
    under Argument 2 type in RunConv
    under Argument 3 type in the name of the button, or the name of the device that sends a turn on to the conversation marker.

In Conversation Action 1
    select Goto object
    under Argument 1 type in StartRun
    under Argument 2 type in Very Fast

In Conversation Action 2
    select Goto object
    under Argument 1 type in SlowDown
    under Argument 2 type in Normal

The way it works : The ai can be patrolling or whatever his activities are, then when he will run to the "StartRun" very fast" when the ai reaches the "SlowDown" marker he will walk normally if normal is selected or slower when slow is selected as the command for his speed.

Edit: I messed up the Arguments. It has been corrected.
    Last edited by darthsLair; 23rd Jul 2012 at 12:57. Reason: messed up

Yes, this the part that was confusing the way you wrote it.

I'm a bit confused but I try this method now.

Quote Originally Posted by darthsLair View Post
    A big Thanks, darthsLair!

A big Thanks, darthsLair!
    You are welcome ! Always glad to be of some help.

You can also use AIWatchObj link from guard to A (action - GoTo, object - B, speed - Very Fast). It's a bit easier than conversation and can be tweaked by choosing proper alert level and priority.