TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 185

Thread: GarrettLoader Help and Bug reports

  1. #1
    Administrator
    Registered: Sep 2001
    Location: above the clouds

    GarrettLoader Help and Bug reports

    Dear Builders,

    ascottk suggested I set up a sticky thread for GL issues, which should help to keep everything in the same place. There have been many duplicate threads for similar problems, so like the newbie thread, this is here for any small problems installing or running FMs, and reports of bugs and gaping holes in functionality, opinions about the interface, etc.

    scumble

    You can find the most recent GarrettLoader here.
    Last edited by scumble; 10th Oct 2005 at 19:23.

  2. #2
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2000
    Location: Finland
    Isn't there already a couple of GarrrettLoader threads nailed up in the FM forum?

  3. #3
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2005
    Location: Corvallis, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Arrow
    Isn't there already a couple of GarrrettLoader threads nailed up in the FM forum?
    Some people miss or do not look at the fm forum when they post here. There were about 3 posts regarding GL & fm install issues by non-mappers and they all dealt with similar issues. This forum should be help for mappers & not general fm players. But if the players do post here then there should be one thread to deal with those issues. This could help mappers in case they made a mistake when they packaged their fm.

  4. #4
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2005
    It might also be a good idea to put a link to the latest version of GarrettLoader or the official website in the top post.

  5. #5
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2003
    Location: Cambridgeshire UK
    My latest GarrettLoader problem is the loss of all original Thief2 savegames. The zip in the Allsaves folder has been over-written with T2X savegames.

    This must have happened several weeks ago before I completely separated the T2 and T2X installations. I had not then appreciated the potential problems with using 3 loaders (DL, GL and T2X) at the same time.

    I didn't notice the problem until yesterday, when I ran through a TMA mission to check loot for ejsmith's project. I tried a recovery utility, but I'm afraid those saves have gone for ever.

    GL is doing a good job on T3 FMs. But be very careful when using it for anything else at this stage of development, unless you have copied your existing T1 and T2 installations into dedicated test folders.
    Last edited by ffox; 13th Oct 2005 at 16:22.

  6. #6
    TAFFRUITY
    Guest
    Wish I could try it out for myself. I missed the download cutoff date by hours !
    ANybody willing to email it to me or provide a link to where it can be downloaded NOW??

    Thanks

  7. #7
    FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    Registered: Jan 2001
    Location: Seaside, Oregon
    Wait a bit. You aren't missing a thing. A few hours or days will not ruin your life.

    You have shotgunned the entire THIEF forums with this. Learn a little patience.

  8. #8
    TAFFRUITY
    Guest
    The only reason I "shotgunned" the forums is because I myself dont read all the forums and Im sure others do the same thing.....Just trying to improve my odds of getting a useful reply.

  9. #9
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2005
    Location: Corvallis, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by TAFFRUITY
    The only reason I "shotgunned" the forums is because I myself dont read all the forums and Im sure others do the same thing.....Just trying to improve my odds of getting a useful reply.
    I don't mean to be an ass but reading the forums removes the necessity of getting a useful reply

    Also posting something in the forum and waiting for a reply is a lot more work than using the search function.

  10. #10
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2002
    Location: Texas
    When is the next version due out?

    Sting

  11. #11
    Member
    Registered: May 2002
    Location: UK, Suffolk
    It was due out saturday, its now going though massive re-testing due to some very strange occurances with regards to the user.ini files. I hope to get it out before Komags contest is released.

  12. #12
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2001
    Location: Exiled in sassenachland
    If you need another tester potterr just let me know.

  13. #13
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2005
    I tried to set up GarrettLoader to run the Contest FMs but it does not work.

    During the setup phase, GL asked me if I wanted to move my savegames folder. I said yes, then it crashed with "Path not found".

    I wonder if this is because my installation is in "Program Files\thief3" rather than "Program Files\Thief - Deadly Shadows" which is the default.

    A more minor bug - when I first ran GL and it showed the Configuration dialog, I clicked the dialog's X to close it (without entering any settings). The program crashed with an error message (something about an Runtime Object, I cannot remember the precise message).

  14. #14
    Member
    Registered: May 2002
    Location: UK, Suffolk
    You may have got this bug if you changed your T3 registry settings manually from the defualts, or if you have the editor as your current default (via thief loader) or not played teh training mission for a few seconds. You can always leave the save games where they are. Delete the garrettloader.ini file, restart GL and say NO to moving your save game files.

    With regards to the minor bug, you are supposed to choose something there you know....Anyway I will change that to a non closeable window for the next release.

  15. #15
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by potterr
    You may have got this bug if you changed your T3 registry settings manually from the defualts, or if you have the editor as your current default (via thief loader) or not played teh training mission for a few seconds.
    None of those are true in my case (I haven't changed anything and I did start and save the training mission). I would guess that this is something to do with my non-default folder name, although I can't be bothered to go back and re-install to check (in actual fact I can play the FMs, it's just that the savegames were not moved).

    With regards to the minor bug, you are supposed to choose something there you know....Anyway I will change that to a non closeable window for the next release.
    Well, good design practice would not force you to enter anything at that time (what if you wanted to close the program and configure it later?), but would refuse to start an FM with a warning if the configuration was not set (perhaps the T3 icon would not appear, and a message like "Your T3 location is not set - configure now?" would be displayed if you tried to start an FM).

  16. #16
    Member
    Registered: May 2002
    Location: UK, Suffolk
    Quote Originally Posted by OrbWeaver
    None of those are true in my case (I haven't changed anything and I did start and save the training mission). I would guess that this is something to do with my non-default folder name, although I can't be bothered to go back and re-install to check (in actual fact I can play the FMs, it's just that the savegames were not moved).
    The game path shouldn't make a difference, I know where abouts in the code it failed, its basically where GL is setting a folder object of the save game path recorded in the registry to obtain the saves. What GL does is to use the savegame registry string along with the folder location of where the T3 install is and shift all the files across from the old save game location to a newly created saves folder in the T3 install. It would fail if the registry string is pointing at a different location to where the saves actually are as the object creation would fail as the folder does not exist. I will adjust this in the next release so that it checks the folder is there first before moving just incase the registry is incorrect.

    Quote Originally Posted by OrbWeaver
    Well, good design practice would not force you to enter anything at that time (what if you wanted to close the program and configure it later?), but would refuse to start an FM with a warning if the configuration was not set (perhaps the T3 icon would not appear, and a message like "Your T3 location is not set - configure now?" would be displayed if you tried to start an FM).
    The problem with that is that the first window popup is a one time only choice of lite or default version of GL (lite is just a lot of the tweaks turned off, however once past that screen a lot of the variables are required to be used and so GL reverts to a default version (but does not save the info) if nothing was chosen). However the second window popup (config window) can be closed without any problems and you would not be able to run any FMs as you would not be shown any of Game buttons.

  17. #17
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by potterr
    The game path shouldn't make a difference, I know where abouts in the code it failed, its basically where GL is setting a folder object of the save game path recorded in the registry to obtain the saves. What GL does is to use the savegame registry string along with the folder location of where the T3 install is and shift all the files across from the old save game location to a newly created saves folder in the T3 install. It would fail if the registry string is pointing at a different location to where the saves actually are as the object creation would fail as the folder does not exist. I will adjust this in the next release so that it checks the folder is there first before moving just incase the registry is incorrect.
    I don't understand why a vanilla install of T3 would have incorrect registry settings (the only thing I changed between installing T3 and GL was the 1.1 patch). However if there is a workaround like you say then it shouldn't be an issue in future.

    The problem with that is that the first window popup is a one time only choice of lite or default version of GL (lite is just a lot of the tweaks turned off, however once past that screen a lot of the variables are required to be used and so GL reverts to a default version (but does not save the info) if nothing was chosen). However the second window popup (config window) can be closed without any problems and you would not be able to run any FMs as you would not be shown any of Game buttons.
    Just to be clear, it was the config window that I closed, I had already selected Default install in the "choose your version" dialog.

  18. #18
    Member
    Registered: May 2002
    Location: UK, Suffolk
    Quote Originally Posted by OrbWeaver
    I don't understand why a vanilla install of T3 would have incorrect registry settings (the only thing I changed between installing T3 and GL was the 1.1 patch). However if there is a workaround like you say then it shouldn't be an issue in future.
    Its not exactly registry issues, as far as I can tell when you install T3 it sets the registry up during install, however the folders the registry point to (save games) do not exist until the training mission is played.

    Quote Originally Posted by OrbWeaver
    Just to be clear, it was the config window that I closed, I had already selected Default install in the "choose your version" dialog.
    Ah now thats a different problem...it should allow you to continue ok, although there is a known issue with closing the Config window and moving the mouse over the FM lists in the second or so that the config window is closing. This has been fixed already for the next release.

  19. #19
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Europops
    1.11 doesn't work for me with the Contest 6 FMs.

    Then I DL and installed v1.23 from Komag's site. Doesn't work either.

    It installs the FM and when I press play it starts up T3. The splash screen with the tip comes up, screen goes black and bang - back to desktop.

    Also: In this version of GL (don't know if it was in the last ones) when you are asked for the location of the T3 FMs you cannot select a folder, you must select an FM. It still populates the FM list from that folder but it's confusing.

  20. #20
    Member
    Registered: May 2002
    Location: UK, Suffolk
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect
    1.11 doesn't work for me with the Contest 6 FMs.

    Then I DL and installed v1.23 from Komag's site. Doesn't work either.

    It installs the FM and when I press play it starts up T3. The splash screen with the tip comes up, screen goes black and bang - back to desktop.

    Also: In this version of GL (don't know if it was in the last ones) when you are asked for the location of the T3 FMs you cannot select a folder, you must select an FM. It still populates the FM list from that folder but it's confusing.
    1.11 didn't work properly due to problems with save game locations.
    1.23 should work fine, The problem you are having sounds like it is due to the user.ini file not being populated or restored (if you have a user.ini.glbu file, delete your user.ini file and rename your user.ini.glbu file to be user.ini and try again), this process changed slightly between versions.

    With regards to selecting an FM zip file when configuring, it has always done that, during the early beta testing there was confusion as to the seletion of the FM folders, by selecting any zip file it confirmed that the folder was effectively more likely to be an FM folder than not.

  21. #21
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Europops
    You do mean the user.ini file in my Thief3Game folder don't you?

    Tried it. No difference.

  22. #22
    Member
    Registered: May 2002
    Location: UK, Suffolk
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect
    You do mean the user.ini file in my Thief3Game folder don't you?

    Tried it. No difference.
    Yep, it should contain by default:

    [BlockLoading]
    LoadFromResourceBlockFiles=True
    [Source Control]
    UseSourceSafe=0
    [Engine.Engine]
    UpdateGameSys=0


    remove anything else you may have in there (also make sure you do not have a user.ini.glbu file when you do as if you do the first thing GL will do is to delete your user.ini file and rename the user.ini.glbu file back to user.ini ready to do any changes that may need to be done.

    This is effectively the main reason for crashes during loading of FMs in T3 in that basically T3 has not got enough memory assigned to load the level fully, this is why the user_patch.ini files are in the FM so that T3 assigned enough memory for each FMs requirements without assigning too much and not having enough to do other things (like AI movement and, menus, and general processing, etc).

    Also one other thing that may be of issue is if you have the editor installed and have not set the current game back to the play install rather than the editor install (version 2 of thief loader has been upgraded so that it can be used as a plugin to GL and will startup and reset the registry to the play install when loading a T3 FM).

  23. #23
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Europops
    Wait, are you saying I must have a user.ini but no user.ini.glbu in that folder?

    I've opened the user.ini and removed everything but that stuff you posted, and i've deleted user.ini.glbu

    Testing it now.

    Update: same thing happens. AAAAARRGH. I won't get to vote for competion 6
    Last edited by SubJeff; 26th Oct 2005 at 14:11.

  24. #24
    Member
    Registered: May 2002
    Location: UK, Suffolk
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect
    Wait, are you saying I must have a user.ini but no user.ini.glbu in that folder?

    I've opened the user.ini and removed everything but that stuff you posted, and i've deleted user.ini.glbu

    Testing it now.
    basically yes.
    The user.ini.glbu file is the GarrettLoaderBackUp version of the original user.ini file. GL creates it from the original user.ini file. To restore to teh original user.ini after FM install and play its a case of deleting the new user.ini file and removing the .GLBU extension from the end of the user.ini.glbu file.

  25. #25
    New Member
    Registered: Mar 2005
    Location: The Netherlands

    Text on buttons are gone

    Since I have installed the newest version of Garrettloader the text on the menu-buttons have disappeared. The text on the buttons are
    replaced by: "?T Butto..."

    The missions are playable and this is the only problem I have using Garrettloader.

    How can I solve this problem, please?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •