TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vista with DirectX10 and Thief 2

Vista with DirectX10 and Thief 2

Anyone thinking of getting a new computer in the next few years? These will all most likely have the new Vista operating system that uses DirectX10. I wonder what kind of problems Thief 2 would have being run on this new operating system? I've heard that older games made for DirectX9 should hopefully still work, but I am mostly concerned about Thief 2 working. If Thief 2 has any problems working with Vista or DirectX10 then looks like I will keep my current system forever.

I could never for the life of me get the briefings/cutscenes to play with my MSDN copy of Vista final, no matter how many little tricks I tried (I believe they work in the RCs without issue). I hope the community comes up with something when Vista gets released to the general public soon here.

Thief 1 & 2 ran just fine otherwise.

From what I've read so far about Vista/legacy gaming, I don't think the audio will work optimally for Thief 1 or 2...possibly 3 under Vista.

http://forums.creative.com/creativel...essage.id=1694

Considering how much I use a PC for playing current games, as well as older titles...I'm really bummed about these changes. DOSBox takes care of the really old titles, but I guess I'll have to keep my current machine on life support for quite some time.

Clearinghouse
    Thief 1 & 2 working optimally under Vista with the audio and cutscene.
    Here russian taffer discussion about this. Works fine
    edit: for DirectX9.

Just curious, if you update your computer with DirectX10 on the Vista operating system how do you play a DirectX9 game on that system?

DirectX is always downwardly compatible, that's why you still can play Thief on Windows XP. And Hellbender, the famous Win95 game by Microsoft! Anyone familiar with that antique here?

...that said, I really wouldn't recommend using Vista - take the time and do some research about the many DRM lockdowns in that OS. Just keep your XP-CD or use another OS! ;-)

Xp & Vista testing

Evening

I tested T1/T2 on the following configurations:-

Card: 7900GT
    Driver: 93.xx

T1 will only work with full acceleration upto 84.56. Any driver version higher than 84.56 and T1 can only be played with the acceleration level turned down (ie. software mode)
    T2 will work with full acceleration upto upto 93.81. But please note after 84.56 you have to use the safe texture method in either cam.cfg or user.cfg.

Driver: 97.xx
    Driver: 100.xx

T1 works with full acceleration on driver 97.56.
    T2 works with full acceleration on driver 97.56, (no need to use safe texture method)

T1 works with full acceleration on driver 100.65.
    T2 works with full acceleration on driver 100.65, (no need to use safe texture method)

So there you have folks, nvidia have broken the drivers above version 84.56 all the way to 93.81 under Windows Xp with regard to Thief. But in vista its flawless based on a 79xx series card.

Update:-

The following thread is very helpful with regard to thief 1/2 running vista with the latest drivers...

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=vista
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112036

biker
    Last edited by bikerdude; 18th Mar 2007 at 14:24. Reason: update

I will probably wait for Windows Vista to have all the bugs knocked out or so. Those service packs are a pain in the rump. Well anyways, this is a sugestion from me about possibly combatting the Vista thief problem possibility.

What can happen is you should be able to repartition your system with Windows XP Pro and Vista. It should be possible from what I've heard. Also, DirectX should not be a problem either, because of its downward compatibility.

For the first time since introducing the DirectX collection of APIs more than 10 years ago, Microsoft is jettisoning the entire concept of backward-compatibility: Not only is Direct3D 10 designed exclusively for Windows Vista - rendering it incompatible with every previous version of Windows, including XP - it also requires new hardware to run as intended.

Maximum PC (Holiday 2006 )
    Don't be too sure of that backward compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by dbrilliant View Post
    What can happen is you should be able to repartition your system with Windows XP Pro and Vista. It should be possible from what I've heard.
    Yes, I have a relative who has this set up with a boot menu to switch between them. Don't know which versions of which he has though except he said he'd got a beta Vista a few months back.

But i you use a g80 based card thief cause issues even in xp.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad of the pacific View Post
    Don't be too sure of that backward compatibility.
    What else can you expect? Nobody really needs Vista, except the Industry, to force the DRM on you. If it were backward compatible, you could just play on old stuff without buying new one.

Well it looks like there is a bigger concern than the operating system now. I just read that any Nvidia video card from 8800 up will not work with any Thief game whatsoever! Nvidia is not supporting the older games like this anymore. If ATI does the same thing then I will stick with my current XP computer system forever. I can't possibly imagine buying a new computer that I know would not run Thief 2.... just unthinkable.

preaching to the quire...

Quote Originally Posted by cavador_8 View Post
    I can't possibly imagine buying a new computer that I know would not run Thief 2.... just unthinkable.
    preaching to the quire my friend :-)

But I have said in another thread somerwhere that I am testing Vmware and Virtual pc to see is 3d acceleration is enabled thus allowing us to play thief on a virtual pc ;-)

biker
    Last edited by bikerdude; 2nd Feb 2007 at 11:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post

Driver: 97.xx

T1 works with full acceleration on the latest driver 97.56.
    T2 works with full acceleration on the latest driver 97.56, (no need to use safe texture method)

biker
    awesome! i'll probably be one reason to get the cheap home upgrade of vista (even though it has like 2 features or something, winxp v2?), sucks not having money. gah. but this way i wont be needing to use the old drivers just to play thief1 :-)

but if thief2 works, would ss2 work too? being the same engine and stuff...

Last edited by pbldcttr; 2nd Feb 2007 at 04:52.

SS2 etc

Quote Originally Posted by pbldcttr View Post
    awesome! i'll probably be one reason to get the cheap home upgrade of vista (even though it has like 2 features or something, winxp v2?), sucks not having money. gah. but this way i wont be needing to use the old drivers just to play thief1 :-)

but if thief2 works, would ss2 work too? being the same engine and stuff...

As vista is so damn cheap, over here in the UK the oem(*) version of Vista Ultimate can be head for as little as £120 the Home premium(**) oem going for £70.

(*) (oem can only be installed/activated on 1 computer)
    (**) (dosent have ms remote desktop installed)

Dont get me wrong Im not singing vista`s praises - far from it. The only reason to upgrade to this OS is for DirectX 10. The gui in vista, even in 'classic' mode is overly complicated and (big fonts, lots of spaces in between words etc) compared to Xp a lot of the windows are so infentile its and insult to anyones intellegence.

Yes SS2 will work as its based on the same engine.

biker
    Last edited by bikerdude; 2nd Feb 2007 at 12:27.

So the movies are working fine for other people? Wonder what my deal is.

thats so true...

Quote Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
    What else can you expect? Nobody really needs Vista, except the Industry, to force the DRM on you. If it were backward compatible, you could just play on old stuff without buying new one.

Aint it just...! But with regard to DRM, all my MP3's were unaffected as well and my divx/mpg/avi movies.

biker

After reading this article about Vista, I don't think I want anything to do with this new OS. This copy protection thing is completely out of hand. I think I'll stick with XP and a Nvidia 7800 video card.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

Unfortunately, it'll probably get to a point where you *have* to upgrade. At least for a computer you normally use, and keep the older ones for running games and such.

Much the same as if you have an old Windows 98 computer, you really can't do a lot on it. I just upgraded last year from windows 98 to XP (HUGE Leap there, btw. :P) From my old 8 year old computer to this one and there was no question about me keeping the old one. It was on its last breaths. I'd tweaked and babied it for as long as I could. Getting the new one I had no choice about whether to get XP or not.

I think Vista will be the same way. You'll get what you get and if you put XP on, it might run, but it will only be a matter of time before its not even supported anymore.

That being said. I have *no* intention of upgrading this machine. And it will be a year or two before I consider a new machine at all (ok, I wouldn't complain at getting a new and more powerful one now. . .but I don't need it.). Everything I've heard of Vista does *not* impress me, though, as I was told earlier this year. . .*every* new version of windows that comes out has a lot of controversy around it and people claiming how bad it is, etc. Yet everyone gets used to it and the world moves on.

If what that article says is true, the copy-protection is just insane...infringing on the owner's rights. However, hopefully this is just a 'prerelease' panic, so to speak and the actual product will operate just fine when it all settles down.

We hope.

But yeah. I'll join the masses and stick with XP until I can't anymore. Besides, all three Thief games work just fine and I'd rather not mess with that. lol

As I've always thought, these newer systems, will *eventually* be the death for our beloved Thief.

Keep those old systems running, buy the spare parts for them now folks. That's what I plan on doing.

There'll be ReactOS:
    http://www.reactos.com/
    ReactOS® is an advanced free open source operating system providing a ground-up implementation of a Microsoft Windows® XP compatible operating system. ReactOS aims to achieve complete binary compatibility with both applications and device drivers meant for NT and XP operating systems, by using a similar architecture and providing a complete and equivalent public interface.

ReactOS is the most complete working model of a Windows® like operating system available. Consequently, working programmers will learn a great deal by studying ReactOS source code and even participating in ReactOS development.

ReactOS has and will continue to incorporating features from newer versions and sometimes even define the state of the art in operating system technology.

In short, ReactOS is aiming to run your applications and use your hardware, a free operating system for everyone!
    Once this gets stable I'm definately going to use it.

I just upgraded last year from windows 98 to XP
    You've just earned my highest respect.
    Last year, I re-activated my old computer to download some of my old files.
    And it kept me wondering, how in the world I could ever had worked with this OS. I guess during the ten minutes it was activated I had experienced about five crashes.

Win98 was hell, compared to that XP was a godsend.

Steady on John, some of us are still using Win98 and I often go hours without crashes. Somehow though I can't seem to get Thief working yet on my DOS system.

It seems that Microsoft are having problems getting some of their own software to work 100% on Vista:

http://www.theserverside.net/news/th...hread_id=42426
    (Most Windows programs are created using Visual Studio).