TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 98 FirstFirst 123456789141924293439444954 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 1/2 & SShock 2: DDFix and Enhanced Resolution Patch - discussion

We haven't heard from you in a while. Is this becoming too much like a real job? Hang in there! Your work is greatly appreciated.
    Remember that the main reason for me writing my patch was because I wanted to play thief, and if it works for anyone else, that's just a bonus. . As of 1.1.1, I was happy with it, so I've been playing rather than patching recently.

tbh, I think it's about as good as it's going to get. I have no idea why fog isn't working, which makes it rather hard to fix. The sharpened textures are afaik a difference between the way DX6 and DX9 renders, and not something I have control over.

The obvious method to fix those bugs would be to stick with DX6 instead of wrapping everything to DX9, but I couldn't think of a sane way to use a 32 bit render target and still let thief lock it to draw text. Does any version of thief2.exe work with any version of the game? If so, I could modify the exe to be able to use 32 bit targets and distribute the modified exe along with the patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Asaki View Post
    Turn on vsync.
    vsync is on. I mean slightly erratic speed, not wild and crazy. I see variable speed when running in a straight line. Maybe nobody else noticed. Maybe it is the performance issue people are describing.

@Timeslip - 1.1.1 is ok for me. The problems introduced by your patch are nothing compared to the lack of dithering & stars that you fixed! Thanks to you, Thief 2 is an enjoyable experience once more.

As a side note, i haven't heard any news from Nvidia lately. So far, I see they are currently pulling every resource to optimize gameplay on Crysis, so i wouldn't count on an official Thief 2 fix anytime soon.

Btw, how are things on the Ati front? Did they manage to come up with a fixed driver set for our problems?

Quote Originally Posted by smithpd View Post
    I see variable speed when running in a straight line.
    Idunno, I only get that problem when vsync is disabled.

smithpd, "slightly erratic speed" might be because of CPU frequency optimization (Qool'n'Quiet etc.). Try to turn it off using utilities for your motherboard or use power profile "Always On" or "Presentation".

Where do you keep finding updates at? Is there another thread I'm unaware of, or do you just download the ZIP every day to see if it's been updated?Turn on vsync.
    TimeSlip has just been updated his main linke, i have asked him to pm/email me, but thus far haevnt heard back from him.... I hafve to keep checking myself and then updating the first post of this thread.

biker

Maybe we could add Timeslip's patch to www.thief-thecircle.com's patch page, here: http://www.thief-thecircle.com/media/patches/ ? This way, others will find it a lot easier. That is, if both Timeslip & the site admins agree, of course.

Idunno, I only get that problem when vsync is disabled.
    OK, I checked it further. I found that I had vsync controlled by the 3-D application, which formerly turned it on, before ddfix was applied. I also had speed control enabled (by whatever means Timeslip uses) in ddfix.ini. In fact, the graphics card vsync was not enabled - the ddfix'ed app no longer turned it on. By forcing vsync always on in the graphics card and turning off the INI option, I got genuine graphics card vsync. That definitely improved the slightly erratic speed in game, as you note. It has an unfortunate side effect of making all menus respond very sluggishly and making books slow to load. In my case, I feel the cure is worse than the disease, so I went back to my previous settings. The speed variation is noticeable, but not that bad.

Since then, I have installed ddfix 1.1.1 (latest on Timeslip's site), and the speed control seems to work better. The issue is moot at this point. Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

I tried the latest version of this today, and it seems that the black squares around particles have been fixed, and the framerate seems to have improved considerably.

Now, there just remains the lack of fog and the inability to use DromEd with this patch . . .

I have been running 1.1.1 for a while now, and it seems the erratic speeds have been fixed. I get good frame rates, too.

Also remaining is the quirky behavior when exiting to desktop and going back. There is a workaround (ESC then Continue), but for testing missions it is a nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeslip View Post
    Does any version of thief2.exe work with any version of the game? If so, I could modify the exe to be able to use 32 bit targets and distribute the modified exe along with the patch.
    There's a great way to find out!

(er, I will actually try this out and have something sensible to say soon. Too much extracurricular at the mo')

Quote Originally Posted by smithpd View Post
    It has an unfortunate side effect of making all menus respond very sluggishly and making books slow to load.
    Weird, I haven't had that problem at all.

I haven't tried any of the updated patches, though. I'm waiting until he gets System Shock 2 working. I just rebeat T2 and T2X a few months ago, so I'll give it another year before I need my fix again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Now, there just remains the lack of fog and the inability to use DromEd with this patch . . .
    You may already have found this out, but I found two alternate fixes (sort of).

1. I start DromEd and go into game mode.
    2. I go back to edit mode and the DromEd window is left unchanged and I can use it normally.
    3. Everything is okay until I switch focus (making the DromEd window lose focus) and then go back to the DromEd window. It's when I go back to DromEd that the DromEd window gets screwed up.

Fix 1:
    One fix is to go into game mode again and then back to edit mode (or never leave the DromEd window or leave it and never return). The DromEd window is now back to normal (until you do as in step 3 above).

Fix 2:
    Another fix is to set Fullscreen=0 in ddfix.ini, which makes DromEd enter game mode in windowed mode. When you return to edit mode, everything works fine even if you switch focus. This will of course also make Thief2.exe run in windowed mode, but that can easily be fixed. Another catch is that windowed mode can be a lot smaller than fullscreen mode.

Edit:
    I just wanted to add that it's wonderful to have beautiful skies again. I had to go through all missions in Thief2 and T2X just to marvel at the skies (and other fixed things). I have looked at these ugly skies for so long now that I had forgotten how beautiful the skies could be. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    or leave it and never return
    Hello, ShockEd!

And they wonder why there are so few SS2 missions...

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    And they wonder why there are so few SS2 missions...
    I assumed it was because an SS2 mission required much more work than T2.

This patch does work for System Shock 2 quite well, I wonder if he still comes here so he could check this out. Although their is perfect color and lighting, their is one small problem (Could just be me but I doubt it), the new render method causes the player first person model (especially the weapon model, they are freaking huge!!) to clip through everything. You can't walk through walls, but you can clip through just enough to see the inside of them. I doubt this other thing is because of the patch, but the game crashes when I look in a body or storage. It's probably just because I'm missing a file from one of my mods, but I thought I'd leave it floating in the air just in case.

Also, about some of the performance issues, turning down your resolution might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunacinense View Post
    (Could just be me but I doubt it)
    Not just you, two of us have already reported that and other problems.

Could some kind soul wing me a copy of NV's fixed Shock2.exe?
    It will help with a little project and I missed the window on that one.
    (I would mention my email rather than make people dig for it, but I believe that's a bad idea).

Here.
    Again, the link expires in a week.
    We should put it up somewhere more permanent (e.g. SBF) once the patch is a little more finalised.

Even better.
    Thanks muchly.

I just tested this patch in Thief 1, and it works!
    Yes, you heard right, Thief 1 in 32-bit colour!
    It now looks pretty much as good as Thief 2, apart from the lack of coloured lighting.

Normal Thief Gold:

Thief Gold with Timeslip's DDFix:

Of course, there are a couple of bugs; mainly, that the visibility gem vanishes when you look at certain angles (e.g. downwards). Presumably it's being drawn behind the terrain?

DromEd 1 just crashed immediately when I tried to run it with the patch. Not that much of an issue since I don't use that editor anymore anyway.

Groovy.

I got SS2 to work and it was fine (I can't really talk about the interface since I was running with the no interface patch), the Z clipping on the weapon arm not withstanding, looked great.
    I couldn't get game mode to work in shocked though. I set ddfix ini to 1024x768 then tried to enter game mode at that res (trying the setting at 16 and 32bit, though that probably doesn't do much) and the game appears to hang; screen goes black like the renderer is initialising and it just sits there. I get bored and kill the process after a couple of minutes. (sigh worthy, as that's exactly what I wanted to work)

remind me: am I supposed to be running any of these things (Thief2.exe, Shock2.exe, Dromeds etc) in any sort of compatability mode? (I thought I got it to work by turning it off all of them, but I'm not sure that was it)

Ok I got it. I had cleaned out and did a new install of SS2 (deleting a lot of my stuff in the process. Who put this moron in charge?). Strangely compatibility mode on Dromed.exe (shocked) came back after the install, when I had turned it off on the previous copy (wich was, of course deleted). It works after I turned it off.

Here's a pickle: ddfix works fine in the game, great even (give or take the odd crash when looting bodies and z clipping). Dromed game mode looks exactly the same as it used to. Is this what NamelessVoice was talking about earlier?

Ok, more updatem. I figured out that dromed was probably making its own ddraw calls rather than going through shock2.exe. So I changed the first reference to ddraw.dll in Dromed.exe to ddfix.dll via mr hex editor and now all is good (well, transparencies and dithering are all good which is all I'm looking at at the mome).
    Is it just me who's had to do this? Is everyone elses' dromed game mode just peachy with this patch (window oddness notwithstanding)?
    Last edited by Muzman; 11th Nov 2007 at 13:55.

You have just revitalized my world of thief with this patch, Timeslip.
    I chose to use the manual method of patching and its WORKING!!!
    Using the hex editor to find the first line of ascii was successful and making changes in the ini file couldn't be more simpler.

Its like a DREAM to see the world of thief AGAIN in all its PROPER RENDERING -- real exciting. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this, definitely a REAL BONUS to have this small user friendly tool for 8800GT/X users.
    Thief 2 currently running the Texture FIX v1.1.1 on NVIDIA ver. 163.76 dated 10/05/2007, WINXP SP1 , single core AMD FX55 CPU, .NET FRAMEWORK 1.1

Nvidia should PAY MORE ATTENTION!!

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

"Thanks" is not enough words to say how appreciated this user IS... for this MIRACULOUS FIX//

Hmm, one thing I have noticed with videos is that when you move the mouse anywhere, while watching the videos, it runs at full speed, with no choppiness.

And another problem.
    I installed the texture fix, tested it, and it worked fine. Then I tried to install and then run a fan mission. At which point it crashed. I reverted back to Thief2 and it is still crashing.

Edit:
    Oh, I'm using Darkloader.

Seems to be a certain FM. Cult of the damned, that was released not too long ago.

Switched to Thork and it's working fine.
    Switched back to T2 and it's fine.
    Back to COTD and it crashes.

Can someone please verify that I am / am not the only one having this problem

Ahh screw it! I'll just play on my laptop.
    Last edited by bob_doe_nz; 12th Nov 2007 at 02:44.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_doe_nz
    Oh, I'm using Darkloader.

Seems to be a certain FM. Cult of the damned, that was released not too long ago.

Switched to Thork and it's working fine.
    Switched back to T2 and it's fine.
    Back to COTD and it crashes.

Can someone please verify that I am / am not the only one having this problem
    I tried COTD just now.. and it loaded up successful for me, played for about 5 min. with no problems, just to confirm for you.
    Im not sure what your problem may be though.

One thing I always remember to do:
    After playing each FM; make sure to enable the Original Thief2 or T1 mission game install after each FM played. It acts like a reset, something I remember theBLACKMAN (Forum member) mentioning a long time ago, and Ive always adhered to that process. It lessens the chances of file corruption and problems when using Darkloader for loading/unloading all your FM's.

From what you describe above, it looks like you are doing that correctly.
    Last edited by dealasteal; 6th Jan 2008 at 03:25.

Page 4 of 98 FirstFirst 123456789141924293439444954 ... LastLast