TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 98 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112172227323742475257 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 1/2 & SShock 2: DDFix and Enhanced Resolution Patch - discussion

I found it a bit hard to understand your post, but it sounds to me like you tried print screen to take screenshots with ddfix enabled - that doesn't work, because ddfix brakes the screenshot function, thus, the black screen when you try taking shots. That is why ddfix added the new screenshot function, which it sounds to me you found, but it was saving screenshots of black jpegs? Is that correct?

Wait a minute, I thought we cleared this up already:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...55#post1687055

I already answered that, I guess you didn't read it?

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    I found it a bit hard to understand your post, but it sounds to me like you tried print screen to take screenshots with ddfix enabled - that doesn't work, because ddfix brakes the screenshot function, thus, the black screen when you try taking shots. That is why ddfix added the new screenshot function, which it sounds to me you found, but it was saving screenshots of black jpegs? Is that correct?

Wait a minute, I thought we cleared this up already:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...55#post1687055

I already answered that, I guess you didn't read it?
    I did read the post.
    It was me! and could not understand it.
    I did think "Hotkey" was Alt/f10 as in orignal game before vista.
    It was me who got it wrong.
    I used that function and got black screens then realised it would not work.
    For some reason I had over 80 "dUMP" shots in my folder also which I had not taken myself. Which were black. It seems to have stopped doing it now I deleted them as well.

I did find the other function (print screen) Is that what you meant by Hotkey?/new screen shot function.
    I don't know what you mean DDFIX ENABLED.. The shots with print screen are working as the two I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie
    I did read the post.
    It was me! and could not understand it.
    I did think "Hotkey" was Alt/f10 as in orignal game before vista.
    Oh, I see now. You were trying the old key combo. That is why you were getting black screens. DDfix breaks alt+f10 screenshot capture.

For some reason I had over 80 "dUMP" shots in my folder also which I had not taken myself. Which were black. It seems to have stopped doing it now I deleted them as well.
    Hmm, that is strange.

I did find the other function (print screen) Is that what you meant by Hotkey?/new screen shot function.
    Woops, yes, that is the one I meant. For some reason I was thinking print screen was the old way, but I forget thief used alt+f10 Sorry.

That is the key you must use now to take pictures properly with ddfix enabled.

I don't know what you mean DDFIX ENABLED.. The shots with print screen are working as the two I posted.
    You know, ddfix is being used, its enabled (or activated is another good word). I dunno how else to explain it. Yes, the print screen working means you did enable ddfix and it works then.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

If you can't get either screen capture method going, then just use Fraps.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02
    If you can't get either screen capture method going, then just use Fraps.
    Yeah, that is a good idea. I've got that program. But Eva, he got it to work using print screen, he even showed pictures above.

Yeah, that is a good idea. I've got that program. But Eva, he got it to work using print screen, he even showed pictures above.
    Thanks for the explanations. It works I just captured it,then saved.
    Then escape it goes back to the game, Thanks anyway. I did think about fraps.

He is SHE. Pronounced Jilly. I never thought English only I know it is an American name now maybe Gil or Gillie (Scots: gamekeeper)

He is SHE. Pronounced Jilly.
    Oh sorry! My apologies. Ah, Jilly I see... thanks for clearing that up. Bad me

Ok, I fixed my issue. The problem was that I modified the ddfix.ini file in my Thief2 folder instead of the one in my Application Data. Whoops!

All fixed now, and Thief 2 works like a charm. Except for the fog of course. Hopefully us nVidia owners won't have to wait too long for that one to be fixed. (I'm hoping for 5 years or less!)

The lack of fogging in DDFix has nothing to do with nVidia.

I know, DDfix breaks fog, no matter what video card you have. I was trying to say that if nVidia releases drivers that fix their Thief issues, there would be no need for DDfix.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyrano View Post
    I was trying to say that if nVidia releases drivers that fix their Thief issues,
    At this point I would say "and pigs might fly" as nVidia seem to be doing the complete opposite and breaking their drivers even further - Forceware 169.21 completely breaks thief as well as lots of other games (Avp, Stalker, Doom, CoD, ) - go toi the nVidia forum and you`ll see what I mean.

biker

Quote Originally Posted by Spyrano View Post
    (I'm hoping for 5 years or less!)
    As you can see, I'm a bit more optimistic.

I guess its a good thing i've sticked with older drivers and haven't bothered to update - I'm still using nvidia's ( I think specifically, its from eVGA site though)

What about Dromed?

Hi everyone, I have just downloaded and applied the fix.
    Strange things happened though. I had the no CD fix, so I reverted to the original Thief. exe, darkinst.cfg and install.cfg, but the patch didn't apply. It keep saying that I didn't have the original, or that the patch could not apply to my version....bla bla bla.
    Since I only have XP SP1, I thought that that was the reason and I reverted all again to the no CD fix.

I wanted to try again though, and this time it worked! (with the no CD) I went in game and I finally saw the original beautiful sky with stars AGAIN!
    There is one problem though, the fix doesn't seem to work in Dromed. I have hoped to see the sky settings for my new mission, but unfortunately I keep on seeing the same old ugly sky and I can't understand if it's good or not.
    Has anyone a solution for this problem?

Excuse me if it has already been asked I just didn't feel lile read all these pages.....

Ooops, forgot to post my system: WindowsXP SP1, Nvidia 6800GT

You need to manually apply the fix to DromEd.exe, but it makes DromEd totally unusable after going into game mode.
    Give me a minute and I'll email you the file.

I already posted it in a different place, but this seems like the best place to report unexpected behaviour of DDFix (which is a great creation BTW and I love it ).
    For the record I have 7300GT (temporarilly downgraded from 8800GT to play SS2 and Thief series).
    1) I cannot set 1280x960 or 1152x864 - when I do the DDFix.exe crashec upon loading the mission. 1280x1024 and 1024x768 works fine though.
    2) When DDFIx is installled custscenes are choppy - fraps shows 5fps. When fix is off they play normally.
    Last edited by Simplex; 13th Jan 2008 at 09:30.

DDFix isn't going to magically make Thief support widescreen resolutions.

I am aware of that, but 1152x864 and 1280x960 are a standard 4:3 resolutions, not widescreen.

I hope this is the right thread to post info about encountered bugs/issues. I have two more:
    A minor one - pixellated door in Angelwatch level (Bank)

I also tried applying the fix and running T2X. The game crashed:

It would be nice if this wonderful fix could work with T2X
    Last edited by Simplex; 13th Jan 2008 at 13:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
    2) When DDFIx is installled custscenes are choppy - fraps shows 5fps. When fix is off they play normally.
    If you press your Scroll Lock key at the beginning of the cutscenes they should play normally.

It helped. Thanks a million! I thought it was fraps related but did not know how to fix it. I wonder what do I tell fraps to do (or not to) by pressing Scroll Lock.

Simplex, the pixelation issue has been discussed before. This is due to DDFix (can't quite understand or remember what ddfix does exactly, something with rescaling the textures or something), and as I understand it, there is nothing you can do about it but remove the patch if it bothers you so much. DDfix itself has problems you know, such as the texture thing, and no fog. Too bad Timeslip wouldn't work on this further. But I think he gave up on that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplex
    It helped. Thanks a million! I thought it was fraps related but did not know how to fix it. I wonder what do I tell fraps to do (or not to) by pressing Scroll Lock.
    Fraps has nothing to do with the laggyness of the movies. With DDFix enabled this happens - I'm not sure why it happens, but yes, pressing the scroll lock key on your keyboard when watching the movies should fix it. The other way mentioned, which is less effective and quite annoying, is to move your mouse constantly when watching the video to speed it up. I'm not sure I understood your question statement( ), but fraps is not the culprit, and unless you havee a key in fraps bound to scroll lock, it won't affect fraps when you press it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
    I am aware of that, but 1152x864 and 1280x960 are a standard 4:3 resolutions, not widescreen.
    Thief ONLY supports the following resolutions:-

640*480
    800*600
    1024*768
    1280*1024
    1600*1200

thats it period.

Simplex, the pixelation issue has been discussed before. This is due to DDFix (can't quite understand or remember what ddfix does exactly, something with rescaling the textures or something), and as I understand it, there is nothing you can do about it but remove the patch if it bothers you so much.
    It does not, It is only so pronounced on this particular type of doors. Besides, crappy sky bothers me more, as well as resolution change (I explained that below)

DDfix itself has problems you know, such as the texture thing, and no fog. Too bad Timeslip wouldn't work on this further. But I think he gave up on that stuff.
    Pity, but what he did is remarkable anyways. One of the things that was really frustrating me in thief was that every time I switch to map or go to menu, the resolution would change to 640x480 and it takes my LCD about 2 seconds to switch. Then when I come back to the game I had to wait 2 seconds again, which meant that I was basically blind for 2 seconds. DDFix fixed that and for just this one thing I am eternally grateful to its creator (not to mention fixing the sky ).

I'm not sure I understood your question statement( ), but fraps is not the culprit, and unless you havee a key in fraps bound to scroll lock, it won't affect fraps when you press it.
    I didn't make myself clear, but I thought that fraps is the culprit and that pressing scroll lock flips some options in fraps that makes choppiness go away.
    Ok, I press scroll lock. choppiness goes away. My inquisitive nature makes me wonder what command is given to what entity (to DDFix I guess, if you say its not fraps) so that the problem is fixed? Curiosity killed the cat

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    Thief ONLY supports the following resolutions:- 640*480 800*600 1024*768 1280*1024 1600*1200
    thats it period.
    Fine be me, but I figured that when a given resolution is available to choose in DDFix then it will/should work. Now I know it's not supposed to

Thanks to you guys almost all my problems are solved - the only remaining thing is the question of DDFix compatability with T2X. Has anyone managed to successfully run DDFix with T2X?

Pity, but what he did is remarkable anyways. One of the things that was really frustrating me in thief was that every time I switch to map or go to menu, the resolution would change to 640x480 and it takes my LCD about 2 seconds to switch. Then when I come back to the game I had to wait 2 seconds again, which meant that I was basically blind for 2 seconds. DDFix fixed that and for just this one thing I am eternally grateful to its creator (not to mention fixing the sky ).
    Yes, that was a pain - that is good ddfix corrects that.

I didn't make myself clear, but I thought that fraps is the culprit and that pressing scroll lock flips some options in fraps that makes choppiness go away.
    No, as I said, fraps is irrelevant. It is not the culprit here. Scroll lock was a fix recommended by someone that is part of ddfix, has nothing to do with fraps. I hope that makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rowena View Post
    There is one problem though, the fix doesn't seem to work in Dromed. I have hoped to see the sky settings for my new mission
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    You need to manually apply the fix to DromEd.exe, but it makes DromEd totally unusable after going into game mode.
    No, DromEd can be made to work perfectly with the DDfix applied:
    Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    Another fix is to set Fullscreen=0 in ddfix.ini, which makes DromEd enter game mode in windowed mode. When you return to edit mode, everything works fine even if you switch focus.
    I'm using DromEd with the DDfix applied without any issues. Another advantage (with or without the DDfix applied) with entering game mode in windowed mode is that switching back and forth is quicker.

The issue that Nameless Voice is referring to happens only in fullscreen mode, not in windowed mode. If you absolutely need to run in fullscreen mode, you can restore the DromEd window by switching to game mode and back again, but I would recommend using windowed mode.

For reference, this is what happened for me when using fullscreen mode:
    Quote Originally Posted by qolelis
    1. I start DromEd and go into game mode.
    2. I go back to edit mode and the DromEd window is left unchanged and I can use it normally.
    3. Everything is okay until I switch focus (making the DromEd window lose focus) and then go back to the DromEd window. It's when I go back to DromEd that the DromEd window gets screwed up.
    Disclaimer: DromEd and DDfix works together perfectly for me. They may not do so for you, however, but chances are that they will.

Page 7 of 98 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112172227323742475257 ... LastLast