TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 98 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328333843485358 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 1/2 & SShock 2: DDFix and Enhanced Resolution Patch - discussion

Windowed mode semi-works, but it's far from 'perfect'.
    The DromEd window is still stuck in always-on-top mode.
    Also game mode in a non-centred window is more than a bit annoying.

Guys

we are getting off topic a bit here. I suggest a thread just for DDfix if need be

biker

[edit] doh wrong thread...lol
    Last edited by bikerdude; 15th Jan 2008 at 15:58.

Um, what?
    This is the thread for DDFix.
    It says 'DDFix' in big letters in the thread title...

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Windowed mode semi-works, but it's far from 'perfect'.
    The DromEd window is still stuck in always-on-top mode.
    Also game mode in a non-centred window is more than a bit annoying.
    I wouldn't say that this "makes DromEd totally unusable".

I have been using DromEd together with the DDfix for the last three months now and for me it's been working perfectly (good enough for the task at hand) and I haven't found any of the issues you mention annoying at all, but it's obviously a case of us having different preferences

Now that Lady Rowena knows about both alternatives, she can decide for herself.

In fact, after the first moment of enthusiasm, I'm not using the fix in Dromed. Besides the ugly doors, I find annoying the fact that for some reason sometimes the screen "freezes" with two overlapped Dromed screens. There is no way to return to normality but hitting Alt+Ctrl+Canc to quit the program.

If there is a way to avoid this, I didn't understand it.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
    It would be nice if this wonderful fix could work with T2X
    I managed to get it to work. Just copy over your ddfix.ini (and not the DLL) into the t2x subdirectory. I also had to enabled the VideoFix parameter in the ini, otherwise the cutscenes wouldn't play.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 15th Jan 2008 at 23:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rowena View Post
    I find annoying the fact that for some reason sometimes the screen "freezes" with two overlapped Dromed screens. There is no way to return to normality but hitting Alt+Ctrl+Canc to quit the program.
    OK, that is a showstopper. I'm not that advanced yet, so I haven't been running multiple instances of DromEd.

You could still use the DDfix for checking out proper skies by temporarily switching to a patched (DDfixed) version of DromEd. Then when you are done working with the sky, you switch back to an unpatched version.

Anyway, I'm going to stop my nagging now

Sorry, I didn't made myself clear. I wasn't running two istances of dromed. It happens if I click outside of Dromed screen, on Windows desktop.
    I can't explain it better and for some reason I even can't take a screenshot to show what's happening.

EDIT

Aaahh, now I understand it! I was trying to go in game mode without clicking on Dromed window, and I thought how the hell I was supposed to do it.
    Last edited by Lady Rowena; 16th Jan 2008 at 17:09.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    I managed to get it to work. Just copy over your ddfix.ini (and not the DLL) into the t2x subdirectory. I also had to enabled the VideoFix parameter in the ini, otherwise the cutscenes wouldn't play.
    Could you describe it in more detail (if it is possible at all ) because I did exactly that and it does not work for me - T2X crashes in the same way. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. I noticed that my ddfix.ini was not in Thief2 directory, but in one of Documents and Settings' subdirectories.
    What drivers are you using - 163.75 ?

PC Gamering Smartey Man

What drivers are you using - 163.75 ?
    Yes. My OS is also XP x64, not Vista.

I have XP 32bit so I am optimistic. Today I will check out those drivers on 7300GT and 8800GT. Thanks for help

Tested 171.16 last night...

Thief2 is still broken in the main menu and crashed upon starting a game...

so no change from 169.21 then....

biker

Is that just with 8800's? I ask because I've got an 8600GTS and 169.21 works fine for me, at least with DDFIX.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Biker, Kerrie:
    Which OS is this 169.21 for? Is it WHQL or beta?

After seeinf Evaunit02 posts I hoped that rolling back to 163.75 will fix fog in thief 2. Unfortunately it did not. The fog is strangely cut off.

Here the fog is only visible on top of the towers.

Guess I'm back to DDfix

After seeinf Evaunit02 posts I hoped that rolling back to 163.75 will fix fog in thief 2. Unfortunately it did not. The fog is strangely cut off.

Guess I'm back to DDfix
    Don't despair, yet! ;-)

I tested this part of the mission with a Voodoo3, an ATI 9250 and a Geforce 7800 GTX with driver version 84.21 and got the same results (the ATI fog shading is a bit different, but the areas are the same).

This seems to be normal behaviour in this mission which is why people usually say that it is broken.

For a better example try the mission on Markham's Isle (this should be the next, IIRC) or a fan mission with some heavy fog.

Calibrator

Biker, Kerrie:
    Which OS is this 169.21 for? Is it WHQL or beta?
    169.21 breaks thief in Xp but the same driver or higher in vista and thief is fine - nvidia seems to be giving up on Xp and concentrating more on Vista it seems..

biker

Another great news. Cheers to nVidia!

(that was irony FTW )

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    169.21 breaks thief in Xp but the same driver or higher in vista and thief is fine - nvidia seems to be giving up on Xp and concentrating more on Vista it seems..

biker
    That's weird, because I'm running 169.21 in XP, and it's running for me. That's why I asked about whether it was specific to 8800s, or the 8 series in general.

Personally I tried 169.21 and 169.04 on 8800GT - Thief and SS2 would crash on loading a level plus there were pinkish artifacts in SS2 menu.
    When I switched to 7300GT both games worked on the same 169.04 drivers that would crash on 8800GT.
    I recently changed to 163.75 to get fog in Thief 2. I tried modifing inf file to make it possible to install 163.75 for 8800GT but either I was doing something wrong or it doeas not work, as the card would be detected as 8800GT and drivers installed but then the system would hang up after loading desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrle View Post
    That's weird, because I'm running 169.21 in XP, and it's running for me. That's why I asked about whether it was specific to 8800s, or the 8 series in general.
    yes sorry, 169.xx on any 8 series card breaks thief atm..

biker

wonderful

high time to finally unpack this vista box and install it

Quote Originally Posted by d'Spair View Post
    wonderful

high time to finally unpack this vista box and install it
    er you will still need to run DDFix though, as all the shadows are broken in vista too..

biker

Well at least it's WORKING there!

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    yes sorry, 169.xx on any 8 series card breaks thief atm..

biker
    No, that's what I'm saying. I'm running 169.21 on my 8600GTS and Thief runs fine. I've played through half a dozen fan missions in the last week on it with no real problems - at least with the DDFIX executables. I haven't tried the original EXEs.

Page 8 of 98 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328333843485358 ... LastLast