TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314192429343944495459 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 1/2 & SShock 2: DDFix and Enhanced Resolution Patch - discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrle View Post
    No, that's what I'm saying. I'm running 169.21 on my 8600GTS and Thief runs fine. I've played through half a dozen fan missions in the last week on it with no real problems - at least with the DDFIX executables. I haven't tried the original EXEs.
    Ah interesting, looks like there is a difference in the architecture between 8600 and 8800 series as well then, more bloody fun......

biker

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrle View Post
    That's weird, because I'm running 169.21 in XP, and it's running for me. That's why I asked about whether it was specific to 8800s, or the 8 series in general.

The DDFix + 169.28 running a CPU dual-core fixed exe (using only core 1) brings T2 back to live on my Asus 8800 GT with XP.

at last!

Thank you EvaUnit02, TimeSlip, Bikerdude
    good work!

I can not find ddfix anymore...where can I dl it from? Link plz?

(There is nothing on timeslip's page, so please do not direct me there).

Then read it again until you see that the link is there.

Hint: Look at the news item for the 17th of October 2007.

Thanx...I was always looking on the left menus...my bad.

Rudi.

Yes, it's a bit odd that it's not in the list there.
    Maybe because he doesn't consider it as 'important', or maybe because it was never fully finished?

I was using 167.26 drivers to play thief, but today I changed to 169.21 because I was experiencing some problems with LCD TV connected via HDMI to my 8800GT. I was almost certain that thief would not work on 169.21 and to my suprise I was wrong - Shadows of Metal Age work just fine (with DDFix - I did not dare try without it). Either I am extremely lucky, or nVidia actually fixed its drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk-Sailor View Post
    The DDFix + 169.28 running a CPU dual-core fixed exe (using only core 1) brings T2 back to live on my Asus 8800 GT with XP.
    Where can I find that fixed exe?

you can make it yourself using a program called imagecfg

http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm

I just ctrl-alt-del and set affinity to use one core, now everytime I run T2 affinity setting stays the same I set it, so I don't see a reason to alter exe

Well, now the main part. I just tried the ddfix with my new HD3870 + Catalyst 7.12, and it works fantastically. Just set affinity and installed ddfix, that's all.

About picture quality in T2 on Radeon HD3870 (and 3850 I assume) + ddfix.
    Not only all look at least not worse than with my old R9800Pro (proper sky, no horrible color binding as it was when I tried T2 without fix, no pixelation on doors, etc.), but also SWITCHING TO 640x480 MODE AND BACK EVERYTIME I CHECK MAP, OBJECTIVES, READ READABLES, GO TO MENU IS GONE NOW. I wrote it in caps because I'm excited about it, I use CRT monitor and those switchings were very irritating with accompannying clicks of monitor.

Thanks for it

The only ptoblem I have - thief movies became very choppy somehow. I tried to install ddfix with 'video fix' checked and without - the problem persists.

try pressing scroll lock every time the movie starts playing to get rid of choppiness

Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    Where can I find that fixed exe?
    or drop me an email and I`ll send you mine..

biker

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    or drop me an email and I`ll send you mine..

biker
    Thanks, but as I wrote it works without exe altering. I just once set affinity to use one core (as was told in FAQ), and that's it, I don't need to do it each time I run the game (despite what FAQ says), the setting stays the same even after I restart my comp - I specifically checked it.

And I found another GREAT thing about the fix (in addition to interface screens being in one resolution with ingame screen) - Thief2 16-bit horrible "dotted" dithering is gone now! You can notice the dots if you look closely at textures in T2 without the fix. Color transition is now "dotless" - like it was in T1/G, but obviously with more colors than in T1/G.

And I found another GREAT thing about the fix (in addition to interface screens being in one resolution with ingame screen) - Thief2 16-bit horrible "dotted" dithering is gone now! You can notice the dots if you look closely at textures in T2 without the fix. Color transition is now "dotless" - like it was in T1/G, but obviously with more colors than in T1/G.
    that always annoyed me about nvidia cards, glad to see your have sorted it..

biker

I have an ATIHD2900 and I can confirm that the ddfix works with SS2 but it has problems. the weapons you hold seem to pass through walls and floors , as it was already mentioned. Also there is a glitch when you hit escape to go to the menu that minimizes ss2 to the desktop but it's not that important. The problem with the weapon textures is very annoying though, so I had to remove the fix.

I hope Timeslip picks up SS2 as well ^^

I'm surprised everyone seems to be missing fog so much; it's looked awful every time I've seen it. Is that just because my 8800 isn't rendering it properly?

Anyway, I had a bit of time spare today, so I've prodded ddfix a bit to get the fog back. Version 1.2.0 is up here. I'm calling it a beta and not linking it from my main page yet because I've only given it about 5 minutes of testing, so goodness knows what else I've broken while playing with the fog. (For a start, screenshots are about 10x slower than they were in 1.1, and are always in bmp format. You can't turn on AA/AF in ddfix.ini anymore either, although you can probably still turn them on in the driver. You also have to use resolutions above 640x480.)

On the plus side, the problems with corrupted textures and the health potion/sky glitch seem to have gone, and you can alt-tab in game without having to hit escape to get your screen back. You don't have to hit scroll lock each time a movie starts to get them to play smoothly either.

There's no gui with this version, so you have to modify the copy of ddfix.ini in the thief2 folder by hand.

I might make a 1.2.1 version to fix the flickering mouse cursor on menus, but I'm still mostly not working on this. (Unless someone manages to get the thief2 source code, of course, in which case I'll be back here instantly. )

Thanks, but as I wrote it works without exe altering. I just once set affinity to use one core (as was told in FAQ), and that's it, I don't need to do it each time I run the game (despite what FAQ says), the setting stays the same even after I restart my comp - I specifically checked it.
    ddfix automatically sets the processor affinty if you have multiple cores, so that's probably why your game is behaving like that. (It'll also make sure that the codecs required to play the movies stay registered if you want it to, although that option is disabled by default.)

It's great to see you working on the fix some more! Unfortunately, in the latest version of ddfix I get a pitch black menu. I managed to start the mission blindfolded, and the game itself shows up (with improved texture filtering). Any onscreen text (like "compass" or "water arrow") is missing, though, and when I go to the map or the objectives, or click on a book I get a black screen again.
    I have a GeForce 8800 GTX running on Vista.

Excellent news!

I've just recently got myself a new computer with an 8800GT, and haven't really dared to look too closely at Thief 2 on it, apart from a quick glance to confirm that it really does look awful without this.

I've just (briefly) tested the new version, and have this to report:

• Works perfectly in System Shock 2 (apart from a minor issue of a transparent inventory background)
    • Works perfectly in Thief 1, giving 32-bit rendering (I admit I only tested it for a few seconds so far)
    • Seems to work perfectly with DromEd, even after several trips in and out of game mode!
    • Working fog in Thief 2!

\/

Thanks for this excellent work, Timeslip!

Taking screenshots didn't work for me (at least in System Shock 2, I didn't try in the other games), but I can still take screenshots using Fraps, so it's no big deal.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 12th Mar 2008 at 18:30.

wow, sounds great
    and we can even search corpses in ss2 now?

Quote Originally Posted by Timeslip View Post
    I'm surprised everyone seems to be missing fog so much; it's looked awful every time I've seen it. Is that just because my 8800 isn't rendering it properly?
    I might make a 1.2.1 version to fix the flickering mouse cursor on menus, but I'm still mostly not working on this. (Unless someone manages to get the thief2 source code, of course, in which case I'll be back here instantly. )
    Hey there TimeSlip,

Im sure I speak for everyone when say how much we all appreciate all the time you have put into this uber fix of yours.

Please keep up the amzing good work of yours...

biker

Yes, kudos to Timeslip for his fantastic work! I hope that motivates him to keep working on it

Nameless Voice, great, thanks

Timeslip, thank you so much for your fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Eshaktaar View Post
    It's great to see you working on the fix some more! Unfortunately, in the latest version of ddfix I get a pitch black menu. I managed to start the mission blindfolded, and the game itself shows up (with improved texture filtering). Any onscreen text (like "compass" or "water arrow") is missing, though, and when I go to the map or the objectives, or click on a book I get a black screen again.
    I have a GeForce 8800 GTX running on Vista.
    It works on XP with forceware 169.21, but I also get a black screen on vista with 162.22. I've no idea if it's because of the older drivers or vista itself.

I'll see if I can fix it, but if not you'll have to stick with 1.1.

Edit: OK, looks fixed. Can you redownload and see what happens? There's still a problem with bits of vista's desktop showing through the menu, but that's aero's fault and not something I can fix. (It probably only effects people using duel monitors anyway.)
    Last edited by Timeslip; 13th Mar 2008 at 02:53.

Excellent, it works now! Thank you!

Page 9 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314192429343944495459 ... LastLast