TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Bargain Deals Discussion thread.

awesome, this version is on its way to me.

update: got it. doesn't work like my original.
    they did patch it up and incorporated a few fixes it seems (and no-cd for the games) but although I can load the first level (THAT IS A PREMIER on my system) the game just freezes after a few minutes of play, usually after interacting with the environment).....
    but that's just me, SystemShock+Thief HATE MY PCs. EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM. They loved my 486dx2-66. but he's dead now.....
    Last edited by mothra; 28th Aug 2009 at 09:40.

Crashing after a few minutes of play sounds like a symptom of a dual-core computer. Do you have a dual-core system?

yeah, thanks, i did set affinity to one cpu but no change....I did read all the tips in the thief forum, even tried to apply them in different order. my previous p4/gefore4 pc/win2000 pc could play it but since I switched to dual core/8800gts/win xp I never got it working again.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Patch the EXE with imagecfg.exe AND use DDfix's affinity fix option.

Direct2Drive: RPG's this week $5 each, with a number of last week's games still selling for that price.

Cryostasis, as posted by Tonamel in the Bargain thread.
    Is it any good? I hadn't heard of it, but it sounds like a pretty interesting game. I'm trying to decide if I should buy it or not, so has anyone here played it enough to give an educated opinion on it?

The general reaction I heard when it came out was that it's excellent as long as you don't go into it expecting it to be an action game. The main criticism seems to be that the environments get very samey after a while. (another steel bulkhead? Yay!)

We've got a thread about it, too

Ah, so we do.
    Sounds like I'd probably enjoy it. I don't have the time to get into a full game now, but I'd rather grab it while it's cheap. Looks like the demo is still up, so I'll take a look. Thanks for the link; I don't know why I didn't think to search for one.
    Sooooo...can't get the demo to work. It runs, but all that happens is that I sit at the desktop for 10 seconds or so, then it shows me the framerate results. Probably a Windows 7 compatibility error, though comp. modes don't help. Ah well. I think I might buy it anyway; it seems fun enough.
    Last edited by Enchantermon; 7th Nov 2009 at 16:24.

Looking at the post for the Best Buy Black Friday sale, I raised my eyebrows until I had a mental picture of my local store on a previous Black Friday.

Heck, Assassin's Creed for five bucks? I might be willing to risk it. I wonder if online sales count...
    Too bad Wrath of Khan is only Blu-Ray, else I know what my dad would be getting for Christmas.
    Last edited by Enchantermon; 17th Nov 2009 at 07:28.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorfrog View Post
    Looking at the post for the Best Buy Black Friday sale, I raised my eyebrows until I had a mental picture of my local store on a previous Black Friday.
    Goddamn, nigga, me's buyin' some shit the day after Turkey.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Enchantermon View Post
    Sooooo...can't get the demo to work. It runs, but all that happens is that I sit at the desktop for 10 seconds or so, then it shows me the framerate results. Probably a Windows 7 compatibility error, though comp. modes don't help. Ah well. I think I might buy it anyway; it seems fun enough.
    Install the latest DirectX, your newest GPU driver and Nvidia PhysX driver (Nvidia GPU drivers include the latter though). Properly uninstall the latter two, boot into safe mode and run Driver Sweeper or Driver Cleaner.NET in administrator mode (the latter premium program is far more thorough. Absolutely worth the low asking price, IMO.), finally boot into regular Windows and install the latest graphics and PhysX drivers.

Galactic Civilizations 1: Ultimate Edition, $.99

Coupon Code = GC1ULTIMATE99

http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-SDS-W224

Note that this is for GalCiv ONE, not II. I was pretty excited for a while, there.

EDIT: Copying this to the actual bargain deals thread...
    Last edited by doctorfrog; 17th Nov 2009 at 17:34.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Install the latest DirectX, your newest GPU driver and Nvidia PhysX driver (Nvidia GPU drivers include the latter though). Properly uninstall the latter two, boot into safe mode and run Driver Sweeper or Driver Cleaner.NET in administrator mode (the latter premium program is far more thorough. Absolutely worth the low asking price, IMO.), finally boot into regular Windows and install the latest graphics and PhysX drivers.
    I tired all that, but it still won't work.
    Now, granted, I'm not trying to run the tech demo anymore; I went ahead and bought the full game. When I run it, it always does the same thing both before and after performing all of the steps you mentioned. It sits for a few seconds and then tells me that Pixel Shader 4.0 is not supported on my system, and so the game will launch without Advanced PhysX effects. I click OK, and then a second later Windows tells me that the program had stopped responding and forces it to close.
    My graphics card is a GeForce Go 7300, which (according to Wikipedia, anyway) is pre-PhysX; although the error message would seem to indicate that the game can run without PhysX, could this possibly be part of the problem?

So...it's a laptop? There's your problem.

Well, yeah, but I've gotten other recent games working just fine on it (Dead Space, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Bioshock). I didn't think this would be a problem...

PC Gamering Smartey Man

7300 Go? Of course an integrated piece of crap like that won't be able to be play Cryostasis (IT doesn't support SM4.0/DX10).

Look at the readme, there might be command line parameters to force SM3.0 mode (DX9).

Even if you do manage to get it running, the game will likely be a slideshow. The optimisation is particularly bad (the game isn't multi-threaded). You need at least the equivalent of a 8800GT minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    The optimisation is particularly bad (the game isn't multi-threaded).
    Yeah, I found out this nice piece of news last night as I was poking around Google. A 2008 game that isn't multithreaded. This I cannot comprehend. Even if my graphics card was good enough to play it, my CPU isn't. It would be if both cores were used, but a single one only runs at 1.66 GHz. I'll just have to wait until I get a better computer. Thanks, though.

You could have just poked around TTLG, instead of Google. This very here spot 'gengaming'. We have a thread on the game and talk plenty about how shitty it runs, even on dedicated GPUs on gaming desktops.

Well, I did read the thread, but it never said anything about not supporting hyperthreading, and as the game apparently does support DX9, I figured it'd be worth a shot.

Osmos is only $2 on Steam!! At that price it's unquestionably recommended.

Trine for $10!

I passed at $30, and happily snapped it up when it dropped to $20. $10 (in today's Steam sale) is superb value.

is Best Pony
    A note for UK buyers: Trine is available from Tesco as a boxed copy for 7.97, 50p cheaper than Steam.

is Best Pony
    Impulse's Cyber Monday sale seems to be much worse than their Black Friday one, for some strange reason.

is tomb raider:underworld any good ?