TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: DDFix and Enhanced Resolution Patch (including widescreen support)

Pardon for the dumber that dumb question, but I have to DDFix my Thief Gold, so which do I do first: install DDFix (latest version 1.5.5., I think) or the prepatched exe for TG? My common sense says to do it in that order, but I don't want to mess anything up...

I DDFixed T2 so long ago I can't bloody remember...

Edit: For the record, I haven't done anything else to TG but the installation and played the first mission some.

Edit 2: Never mind, the instructions are clearly on the first page... Man, I need glasses...

Hey everyone,

I successfully installed thief 2 with the ddfix. However when i try to install the widescreen patch i get the following error after inputing all my settings in the command window.

"Patched thief2.exe (2662400 bytes)
    ERROR: error copying [thief2.exe]
    ERROR error copying [thief2.exe]
    Error: COPY `thief2.exe` `thief2.exe cannot open target

stopping installation because of error.

I am on Windows 7 64 - the game will load, and looks fine with the ddfix i would like to play with the proper resolution.

Thanks,

dirtyallen

Here:

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Try the latest version of DDFix, it incorporates widescreen: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post2034125

I'll add that version to the sticky soon. Also, please keep questions in that thread.

Using DDFix 1.5.5,(and even earlier versions), I've never been able to get System Shock 2 working. The game works fine right now, with only a no-cd and widescreen patch applied, but once DDFix is applied (even if the other two patches aren't), the game never makes it past the main menu. As soon as I load a save game or start a new one, it crashes to desktop once the level is done loading.

SS2 Specs:
    Version 2.3
    Patches: Widescreen, no-cd
    Mods: Rebirth, SHTUP, My personal object upgrade project (higher res models for objects).
    Note: Even with none of thses installed, DDFix still makes SS2 crash.

PC Specs:
    CPU: AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5ghz
    VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD5500
    SOUND: Realtek HD Audio (onboard)
    RAM: 3.5gb
    DRIVE: 500GB SATA

The Crash itself is a regular windows error. And as always, compatability modes only make things worse, so I don't use any compatability modes.

Any help would be appreciated, as I'd love to play SS2 with DDFix's improovements.

Try it without the widescreen patch. The latest version of DDFix should make it unneeded anyway (I think).

Even a fresh install, with no mods and no patches, it doesn't work. And yes, I have made sure the line:
    game_screen_size 1280 800

is in the cam file. As well as trying the default value DDFix is set to. The Main menu loads fine, but after loading a save game or new game, I just get dumped back to windows with a generic windows error.
    Last edited by Solar; 3rd Jan 2011 at 21:22.

Thank you very much for this lovely renderer. ^^

Update on my issue:

If I go no larger than 1024x768 resolution, the game and levels will load with DDFix. However, it is still unstable and seems to crash withing 5 minutes of running.

Again, this is reguardless of whether I have any mods/patches installed or not, aside from DDFix. I'm starting to wonder if perhaps DDFix hates ATI or at least my ATI card/drivers?

ddfix doesn't hate ATI. It's being developed on ATI, so it loves ATI by design.

What's the module and offset of this crash?

If you ask me, it sounds like DDFix is fine but the multicore fix didn't get applied correctly for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jermi View Post
    ddfix doesn't hate ATI. It's being developed on ATI, so it loves ATI by design.

What's the module and offset of this crash?
    AppName: Sshock2.exe
    AppVer: 1.0.0.0
    ModName: Sshock2.exe
    ModVer: 1.0.0.0
    Offset: 00229102

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    If you ask me, it sounds like DDFix is fine but the multicore fix didn't get applied correctly for some reason.
    Before the point where it crashes, I checked and it's only loading on one core, rather than trying to load all of them, like on my dual-core laptop.

Hello everyone,

I bought Thief: The Dark Project from GamersGate (DRM free) and installed it. The dreaded "Direct 3D Device does not accurately report texture memory usage" error appeared, and I installed DDFix.

The main menu animations do not work, and the mouse pointer also does not move. I can move the mouse and hear the "click" sounds as it (invisibly) moves over the menu items.

I was able to get to the training mission, and the D3D error is gone, but then Garret keeps on slowly looking up wards. All other menu screens either do not show, or the mouse pointer is missing

My specs:
    • Windows XP Pro SP3
    • E8400
    • 4Gb ram
    • DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    • GeForce 7600 GT
    • SB Audigy 2 Audio [EC00]

Thank you

Zombified
    try this:

-update you geforce driver
    -edit your ddfix.ini,uncomment menuupdatedelay and set it to 25 (or 14)
    -go to the nvidia control panel,find "Number of frames to render ahead" option,and set it to 0

and maybe post some screenshots,if possible.

Guys, ddfix is not working its just white or black screen. But i still hear sounds, can blindly walk and menus are visible.

By the way im on Mac OSX 10.6.6 playing via parallels.

Vanilla thief runs without problems.

Zombified
    have you tried setting UseSysMemOverlay to 2 (ddfix.ini)? have you tried some older version of ddfix? do you have the latest drivers for your graphics card?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    have you tried setting UseSysMemOverlay to 2 (ddfix.ini)? have you tried some older version of ddfix? do you have the latest drivers for your graphics card?
    Enabled UseSysMemOverlay 2 and that worked. Thx man.

DDFix related to degraded display issue with TG/T2 in Win7 64-bit?

I posted about this in the 'Thief 2 on Windows 7?' thread below then added screenshots, giving my system specs (which are fairly good) and further details there. That was with an existing Thief 2 installation (fully patched w/DDFix + widescreen) done in XP, so I just tried a fresh install under Win7 and found there was no visible problem (fresh install + v1.18 patch only, albeit the game was pretty stretched and running at a low resolution) until after adding DDFix v1.5.5, when the load screens and in-game readables become blurry or somewhat degraded in quality. This shows up in Win7, but not in XP dual-booted on the same computer using the existing T2 install, which btw has the previous DDFix v1.4.5 but the game looks similarly degraded in either version. Earlier, jermi advised me to check/change the settings in ddfix.ini for UseSysMemOverlay=0 or 2, but it didn't make any difference, and I've also tried various driver versions and compatibility settings to no avail.

In the other thread I mention the NVIDIA driver having trouble recognizing the 1920x1080 native resolution of my Auria LCD/TV monitor when installing Win7, while in XP the driver always found & set it correctly. I had to make a custom 1920x1080 resolution because it only offered up to 1600x1200, but after doing that it looked decent and I saw no graphical glitches until running Thief. I've since seen many reports of the same thing in Win7 64-bit, especially with LCD/TV monitors using 1920x1080 (which apparently is technically a 'tv' and not a true 'computer' resolution), so perhaps there's a clue there with this being a Win7-specific resolution issue seeming to only affect users with certain monitor types. But since Win7 initially does run the game without the degradation problem until DDFix is installed, despite this other OS display issue which might be involved in some way, I thought it appropriate to post here too. I can't migrate to Win7 with Thief looking this way, so any help would be much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by vorob View Post
    Guys, ddfix is not working its just white or black screen. But i still hear sounds, can blindly walk and menus are visible.

By the way im on Mac OSX 10.6.6 playing via parallels.

Vanilla thief runs without problems.
    The last version that worked on wine is posted in the other thread by me. 1.5.8 i think (but check it)

Hi

Im trying to use DDFIX with Thief 1 "Sold Out", but the thief.exe I have download from main post, does not recognize the sold out CD.

What can I do?

Regards

The game shouldn't need the CD. Did you perform a full install?

If so, try opening install.cfg and removing the cd_path line (or put a ; in front of it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    The game shouldn't need the CD. Did you perform a full install?

If so, try opening install.cfg and removing the cd_path line (or put a ; in front of it.)
    It worked editing install.cfg file, thanks a lot.

New Laptop

Who ever made TafferPatcher.... I LOVE YOU !!!!!

Once I installed that on the 64 bit Win 7 Laptop, T2 came on Immediately

I don't like going in and changing codes and things within program files and I won't because usually it always gets even more screwed up. I did that for T3 on my desktop. That don't work no more. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling T3,
    but it still don't work. For now to hell with it... I'll figure that out later. Now I'm gonna try and transfer Doom 3 and all the TDM files to the laptop. Let's see how that goes...hehehe
    Last edited by Acolyte6; 27th Feb 2011 at 22:15. Reason: Tafferpatcher

I dunno if DDfix is still being maintained or if DDFix can be changed to do what I'm going to request, but...
    I'd like to replace the video files of Thief Gold with enhanced ones to get rid of video dithering and the black bars on widescreen displays and remove the 8bit hiss on the audio track.

While Thief happily plays back the new video file, the only drawback is that the screenmode is still 640x480, 16bit which introduces a very ugly color banding effect into the smoothed out video material.
    Would it be possible on newer versions of DDFix to have the game use 32bit custom screenmodes for the UI/Videos?

New video specs:
    XVID
    640x360
    @30fps (used temporal smoother for framerate upscaling. Motion estimation plugin gave unusable/garbled results only)

MP3-CBR 128kbps (direct mux, no VFW codec used)
    44k 16bit stereo
    Heres a download link for the training mission:
    B01.AVI
    I never expected the game to play back that file.

MenuScreenAspect=1.777777777777778 in DDFix.ini stretches the UI/original Videos to fullscreen but the real resolution is still 640x480, which means that the widescreen video file will be sqashed to the top of the screen.
    So the result looks like this:
    Last edited by Timiditas; 6th Mar 2011 at 20:16.

An upcoming solution which will supersede DDFix is likely to also solve this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Timiditas View Post
    Would it be possible on newer versions of DDFix to have the game use 32bit custom screenmodes for the UI/Videos?
    Might be possible with some memory patching and hooking. Probably a lot of work, though. But like NV already mentioned, widescreen high-resolution 24 bit videos will probably be an option at some point, one way or another.

There's no quick fix for the 16 bit issue. The stretching is easy ... video resolution must always be 640x480, but if you use a MenuScreenAspect other that 4:3, make sure you adjust the video's pixel aspect ratio correspondingly. With MenuScreenAspect=16:9, the pixel aspect ratio would be (16/9) / (4/3) = 4/3 ~= 1.333.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast