TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: DDFix and Enhanced Resolution Patch (including widescreen support)

Thief Gold is not running anymore with DDfix, Thief2 is fine, but trying many config in the ini file and with different versions, I can't run Thief Gold , it crash to desktop before start th main menu.

Quote Originally Posted by jermi View Post
    The stretching is easy ... video resolution must always be 640x480, but if you use a MenuScreenAspect other that 4:3, make sure you adjust the video's pixel aspect ratio correspondingly. With MenuScreenAspect=16:9, the pixel aspect ratio would be (16/9) / (4/3) = 4/3 ~= 1.333.
    I never fully grasped the concept of pixel aspect ratio in video files. With my limited understanding, I'd just re-encode the widescreen source material anamorph to 640x480 and see if it has the desired effect. But with the 16bit limitation at the gates, I'll just drop it for now.

@Nameless Voice
    Are you talking about the petition for the source code release?

Quote Originally Posted by caqo View Post
    Thief Gold is not running anymore with DDfix
    Does "anymore" imply that it did work? If yes, then what has changed since? Have you tried SafeMode=1?

Quote Originally Posted by Timiditas View Post
    I never fully grasped the concept of pixel aspect ratio in video files. With my limited understanding, I'd just re-encode the widescreen source material anamorph to 640x480 and see if it has the desired effect.
    That's pretty much it. Video editing software commonly support arbitrary pixel aspect ratios, but even if they don't, you can always manually apply some horizontal squashing so that the video will look correct when it's horizontally stretched to fill a 16:9 (or whatever) screen.
    Last edited by jermi; 8th Mar 2011 at 14:15.

ZylonBane
    I hate DVD video so much for using non-square pixels. Sooo many stretched 720x480 screencaps littering the net... sigh.

Does "anymore" imply that it did work? If yes, then what has changed since? Have you tried SafeMode=1?
    Yes, at first istallation, thief gold worked with version 1.5.5 of ddfix if i remember.

I think that some got corrupted or so. I'm going to install thief Gold again to see if it solves the problem.

Is there a link to GUI version of v. 1.5.11 ddfix?
    I am having lag and fps drop i think when entering bloom lit rooms in thief 2 fms and i was hoping to fix the issue installing the latest ddfix.
    I have 1.5.3 gui installed at this moment and everything worked fine. After Installing the latest fm released I got lag in other missions too but not the original game when loaded from darkloader.

edit: installing the manual version with the prepatched version asks for thief 2 cd but it is already there.

There's no GUI for jermi's versions. He stopped supporting it.
    Try turning off bloom if it makes performance unacceptable (it shouldn't be on by default anyway?).

I am not sure how to disable it or even if this is the problem. I got gtx 470 and i don't know where or in wich feature bloom is in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kin View Post
    I am not sure how to disable it or even if this is the problem. I got gtx 470 and i don't know where or in wich feature bloom is in.
    Pretty sure you look for

;Enable postprocessing. Boolean.
    and change it to 0.

Im having a studdering issue. Its not terrible, until i got to the mine level. The flashing lights were causing it to be really bad. Game runs smooth otherwise.

Fixed? I seem to have fixed my issue. Turned Anisotropic filtering off, then back on and it seems to have gone away.. weird..

Hmm its back now. Its something to do with flashing lights and particle effects. I dunno why it went away earlier and came back. ive tried changing settings in the ddfix ini. but no luck.
    Last edited by Eric18; 18th Mar 2011 at 19:16.

Post processing causes a constant frame rate reduction, nothing that depends on player location or what's on the screen, etc.

I don't have any frame rate problems with bloom and my HD4850 is much slower than a GTX 470.

Post processing causes a constant frame rate reduction, nothing that depends on player location or what's on the screen, etc.

I don't have any frame rate problems with bloom and my HD4850 is much slower than a GTX 470.
    Yea my problem wasn't with Post processing that didnt hurt the performance.

This isn't entirely related to ddfix, but I launched up shipping and receiving after not having played thief 2 in a long time, and the water around the ship is messed up completely... it's like invisible. I'm using that "t2water" enhancement. Yes everything worked before. I have a feeling it's because I must have updated my gfx card drivers and ddfix/thief doesn't like it..?

Specs:
    Windows 7 x64 Professional Edition
    AMD Athlon 7750 Dual-core processer 2.70 ghz
    4 GB of RAM
    ATI RADEON 4650 gfx card, catalyst version 10.12
    DDFIX 1.5.11

EDIT:
    Strange, if I disable texturereplacement it still shows up weird, so it's not a problem with the t2water dds textures. Seems to be a driver incompatibility.

EDIT2: Even if I disable ddfix it looks wrong, so it's not ddfix's fault.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 18th Mar 2011 at 19:34.

How bizarre....whenever im talking to someone on skype while playing Thief 1 or 2. The stuttering i was getting with flicking lights, particle effects etc. seems to go away.. wtf.

Disabled Anisotropic filtering to "0" still got studdering.
    ";Enable postprocessing. Boolean" is already disabled with "0" value still the same problem.

To be more specific I installed the latest Fm for thief 2 "the last lighthouse keeper" and at the beginning in the first room if the lamp stays on I got the studdering all over the room even when not looking directly on the light. I I turn the lamp off everything works fine. Later when i find some more lights in the mission i get the same issue.
    Later i discovered the most of fm i have played without problems before started having the same problem but not the original game installed trough darkloader.

I use ddfix gui 1.5.3 version
    darkwidescreen patch.

edit: also installed a previous driver for my graphics card that had no issues before and i have the same problem. I guess it is not driver issue.
    Last edited by Kin; 19th Mar 2011 at 04:29.

Reinstalled everything and still got the issue. What I noticed this time is that this stuttering occurs only when using the mouse looking freely around and it seems that it is not there when using lean buttons or keyboard movement. Any ideas?

edit: Noted also that it happens only close to flickering lights
    edit2: Could not find a flickering light-torch while playing thief 2 original missions. Is it possible ddfix has altered the function of flickering lights? If it is so then this is why it runs normaly unlike fan missions.
    Last edited by Kin; 19th Mar 2011 at 12:26.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    the water around the ship is messed up completely... it's like invisible.
    With some lines visible? Those are the override textures. Check TexturePath in ddfix.ini. Or if you want to go back to original water, delete the fam\waterhw directory.

Reinstalled everything and still got the issue. What I noticed this time is that this stuttering occurs only when using the mouse looking freely around and it seems that it is not there when using lean buttons or keyboard movement. Any ideas?

edit: Noted also that it happens only close to flickering lights
    edit2: Could not find a flickering light-torch while playing thief 2 original missions. Is it possible ddfix has altered the function of flickering lights? If it is so then this is why it runs normaly unlike fan missions.
    Thats the same issue im having. Flickering lights and torches cause really bad fps problems. Also the hammer forges in level 2 the factory part cause it as well. Strangely enough being on Skype with someone seems to make the issue almost go away.. I have no explanation for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric18 View Post
    Thats the same issue im having. Flickering lights and torches cause really bad fps problems. Also the hammer forges in level 2 the factory part cause it as well. Strangely enough being on Skype with someone seems to make the issue almost go away.. I have no explanation for that.
    Do you have a gtx 470 like me? I had a long time to play any thief 2 fan missions and I am not sure what caused the problem, the drivers or anything else. I tried to install an older driver "2010" but it didn't help.
    Did your stuttering happened at a specific time like after installing something like a new driver for your graphic card?

Do you have a gtx 470 like me? I had a long time to play any thief 2 fan missions and I am not sure what caused the problem, the drivers or anything else. I tried to install an older driver "2010" but it didn't help.
    Did your stuttering happened at a specific time like after installing something like a new driver for your graphic card?
    Nah. i have a GeForce GT 330 M. I havent installed drivers since i got Thief Gold and Thief 2.
    Its happened since i installed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric18 View Post
    Nah. i have a GeForce GT 330 M. I havent installed drivers since i got Thief Gold and Thief 2.
    Its happened since i installed them.
    You mean installed the drivers or the games?

You mean installed the drivers or the games?
    Since I installed the games.

With some lines visible? Those are the override textures. Check TexturePath in ddfix.ini. Or if you want to go back to original water, delete the fam\waterhw directory.
    Well I'll try that, but as I said in my last post, I disabled texture replacement and it still happened. Shouldn't that in effect "disable" those dds textures? Also, it used to work. So that's why I was thinking it might be a driver issue.

EDIT:

Yeah, as I thought it's still messed up. Here's a screenshot

Update:

I tried thief gold, water is fine

Update 2:

I found the culprit. So it's those overide .pcx textures you mentioned. (A bunch of long thin lines.) However, if I force thief to ignore that folder, the original textures show up and not the DDS ones. Yes, the texturereplacement path is still res\ddfix\, so I don't understand this.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 19th Mar 2011 at 20:23.

Thinking that i had never a fps drop close to flickering lights before i can imagine that some software installed causing the problem other than graphics gard drivers or ddfix.
    The only software i updated recently was "klite codec pack", my "samsung mobile software", vlc player 1.1.7.

edit: Noticed that switching off hardware acceleration for sound worsens the problem. When switching it on it looks better but i loose sound localisation (sounds like mono)
    Last edited by Kin; 20th Mar 2011 at 10:08.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Yeah, as I thought it's still messed up. Here's a screenshot
    That happens when the dds files are not found or cannot be loaded.

Right, but what do I do to fix it? Any suggestions?

My ddfix.ini relevant entries:

;Turns on the 32 bit texture loader and some other things such as global fog
    ;autodetection. Boolean.
    TextureReplacement=1

;Replacement texture path. Must include the trailing backslash. Relative paths
    ;are relative to the game main directory.
    TexturePath=res\ddfix\

dds textures are in res\ddfix\t2water folder.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast