TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hollywood's gonna rape Roadside Picnic

BR796164
    "I'm a HOLYWUD ACTOR. I know my stuff. HuHuHuh. PHEAR ME!!!"

Quite. And Travolta very probably directly equates that film to The Passion of The Christ. Besides, Hollywoods track record with classic sci-fi books is very very bad.

BR796164
    Cmon, Dune isn't that bad. Some even love Starship Troopers for what it is. Crap which enjoys it's crappiness. But then Heinlein's Starship Troopers and Herbert's Dune aren't on the same level to begin with.

Starship Troopers is a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by snauty View Post
    Starship Troopers is a masterpiece.
    See the movie is great for the same reason the book is, watching people miss the subtle critique going on about a warfighting society. Would've been better with power armor though.

You thought that the film was a subtle critique of war? Holy shit. It was about as subtle as Hot Shots 2.

Anyway, finished the official translation of roadside picnic, it is an incredible book (although the fan-tran I read made more sense in some bits - 'Gnat Bald-Spot' rather than 'Mosquito Mange' is easier to understand, i.e. a spot on the ground where there is no midges or other flying insects, because they've all been pancaked). I am certain the hollywood will get as far as 'Aliens land, romantic scallywags get into scrapes with overly beaurocratic police' and cover the rest in a dung-heap of explosions and machinegun fire. And also that Monkey is replaced with a blond american little girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    You thought that the film was a subtle critique of war? Holy shit. It was about as subtle as Hot Shots 2.
    That was intended. Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers is actually a satire of both Heinlein's book (which the director reportedly hated) and pompous propaganda movies (e.g. Triumph of Will) and corny war movies of the 40-50s.

But you can also see it as a futuristic "300" with a strong political subtext.

BR796164
    Verhoeven sucks in subtle critique. He sucks in film humor for that matter. No, I mean he sucks in moviemaking completely but has incredible talent to turn his B flicks into cults, which seem to be more than they are, but in reality they aren't.

That said, I confess I enjoyed Starship Troopers like afternoon tea, but it has no place in my collection.

did you see turkish delights ?
    that's a true good movie and gem. robocop is awesome as well.
    starship troopers only recycled those and was a little too "safe" to be really a good satire but I enjoyed it pretty much.

BR796164
    I acknowledge his beginning in Netherlands was notable, but once he hit Hollywood, he became what he became. Having a Raspberry isn't really flattering, but then perhaps it's his cooperation with Esterhaz what was dragging him down.

Quote Originally Posted by BR796164 View Post
    Verhoeven sucks in subtle critique. He sucks in film humor for that matter. No, I mean he sucks in moviemaking completely but has incredible talent to turn his B flicks into cults, which seem to be more than they are, but in reality they aren't.
    A satire is not subtle to start with.

And Verhoeven, sucking at moviemaking? Please...
    Last edited by JohnnyTheWolf; 19th Jul 2008 at 21:45.

BR796164
    That's it, only a refined artists can do subtle critique. It's easy to make obvious satire. But he's got a Raspberry and he deserved it.

Subtle critique, subtle critique, subtle critique... what are you, a broken record?

Once again, Verhoeven got a Raspberry only for Showgirls. Get the fuck over it. Even Verhoeven did (he gladly accepted his Razzie).

Seriously, you must really suck at moviewatching to bash the satire genre. Even "refined artists" make satires for comedic purposes and no one complains about the lack of subtle critique!

Heck, even Kubrick did Doctor Strangelove, a HUGE satire of the Cold War with enough sexual innuendo to make you lose interest in sex for ten years. Oh, but wait! Lemme guess... this movie sucks as well, because it's not a subtle critique and Kubrick is not refined enough as an artist!

*Sigh*
    Last edited by JohnnyTheWolf; 21st Jul 2008 at 09:15.

BR796164
    I like Kubrick but I take Dr. Strangelove as one of his weaker works.

But some Verhoeven fans suck even more than Strangelove.

that's funny, i like him as well (but nowhere near a master) and found Dr.Strangelove his most accomplished work while the usual suspects like clockwork Orange, Full Metal J, Shining or EyesWS pretty bland and overrated.

verhoeven's work of late is pretty bad, his movies neaver reached the high bar in entertainment and intelligence he set with his first features.
    but in comparison to Kubrick he's still in kindergarten

Black Book was pretty good, but it did have a lot of RL atmosphere to fall back on. Other than that (and the standout 'they'll fix you' line in robocop) evidence for Verhoven as an autere is pretty thin. He has a nice line in ridiculous, but I've yet to see a film of his which genuninely impresses me (even Starship Troopers dropped the ball. If Rico had actually died when that arachnid thiny stuck its mouth thingy in his guts it would have been an ace 'fuck you, audience!' plot twist).
    Besides, satire can be subtle. Why not? there's got to be something to seperate Gormenghast from Young Frankenstein.

Showgirls is a masterpiece, too.

Subtlety isn't a good thing per se.

And Hollow Man really really really sucks.

Miscast

Travolta will definitely be a miscast. Also I suspect that he will force script change so he will not be sacrificing the youth in the 'meat-grinder'. It would be funny if instead of room that grants wishes, the room had L Ron Hubbard sitting there with one of those electrical gadgets scientologists use to drive away ghosts.

The movie should focus more on the gadgets discarded by aliens and the weird vibe of the Zone. I would hate to see Travolta 'act' for 75% of the movie while spending the remaining 25% running around the zone while his 3 chins and man-boobs shaking like a bowl of jello.

I have this personal feeling that travolta isnt the right actor for any scifi movie. Except ofcourse if he isnt like a central character in the movie. No ways he just never fits into them. Let him stay with action stuff.
    Someone who might have ideas to which actors would make great characters from the book?

Quote Originally Posted by snauty View Post
    Oh please let's just wait and see you naysayers and Hollywood-haters by default.

Yes, Tarkovski's movies are art and all and blah blah, but Lem didn't like his Solaris movie and to me it never ever matches his book either. Some people never dare to dismiss Tarkovski's work and are keen to point their finger to Hollywood no matter what. Tarkovski's Stalker movie is self pretentious, flat, dull and boring. Again, no match for the Strugatzki novel. But of course the "connaisseur" would never admit that in public. It's actually nothing but a sequence of images. Meanings and layers are only found - or rather projected into - in this movie by the viewer who has read the book. An interesting concept but by no means a good film..
    Does that mean a book equals to a movie?
    Now that's usual hostile attitude toward art films, those "sequence of images" may mean nothing to you, it doesn't mean it's meaningless to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Keeper View Post

That said, I confess I enjoyed Starship Troopers like afternoon tea, but it has no place in my collection.
    Robocop, Total Recall, Starship Troopers...

I love each of them.

Me too. Starship Troopers in particular is one of the few movies that if I stumble upon it on TV, I almost always end up watching the rest of it, even if I don't really feel like it.

Wait, how did we get from film adaptations of books to Starship Troopers? That hardly counts as an adaptation .

/troll

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerman View Post
    Wait, how did we get from film adaptations of books to Starship Troopers? That hardly counts as an adaptation .

/troll
    I guess in the hopes that thats the kind of film Roadside Picnic could become (one that is pleasing and awesome everytime you see it). Honestly, if what-his-name has anything to do with the movie theres no way it could feel like that for any of us. I love pulp fiction for instance, and the only redeeming part of the movie is that he gets machine gunned. And at that time (early 1990s) Tarentino could have had no idea that John Travolta would turn into a giant idiot. So thus, I love pulp fiction anyway. But that is not so in this case. If you just see Travolta in the movie, it'll kill it the spirit of the story. It'll muddle everything about it. Kinda sad that his tentacles could get rapped up into something as amazing as roadside picnic.

Quote Originally Posted by icarus-liquorice View Post
    I guess in the hopes that thats the kind of film Roadside Picnic could become
    It would be a horror, in the worst sense. Those movies you like are totally opposite to artworks that inspired the game series, on different end of movies spectrum.