TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 22 of 117 FirstFirst ... 27121718192021222324252627323742475257626772 ... LastLast

Thread: General Fan Mission Review And Discussion Megathread

Quote Originally Posted by pavlovscat View Post
    Nope. You are not alone. I'll play without my blackjack, but I'm never happy about it. The sheer enjoyment I get out of whacking everyone on the head (beasts & all) surpasses the accomplishment of ghosting. I am very patient so that I can sneak across a tile floor if I absolutely have to, but I'd rather sneak across to whack somebody over the head.
    I completely agree - I've successfully ghosted a mission or two fairly recently and didn't really get the major feeling of accomplishment that alot of folks do - the only thing I really accomplished was taking five hours to finish a mission that normally would have only taken me two hours

I'd much rather ghost some areas, blackjack in others or just go all out and leave everyone napping by the time I fill my loot sack and leave the mission.

Needed to take a short break due to busy personal life things but I still wanted to update the thread - so I ran though a couple of missions from the past Dromed Beauty contest to show off a little of what the dark engine could do. Not gonna post em all (mainly because photoshop chewed them up and spit them out when I tried adjusting them like I always do for some reason) but I'll throw a few up just for eye candy. Each mission really does need to be seen for yourself as screenshots don't do them justice. I wont be posting a full review or anything due to them being very small missions with no objectives just for visuals. Hope you enjoy.

The Cloister Of Lazarius By Alexius

Mission Thoughts: This was my favorite mission from the dromed beauty contest. The setting was great, (A Hammer cathedral) the visuals were stunning, (with a ton of custom artwork) and the epic chanting and music used for the sounds really immersed me into the setting. I just wish this mission was expanded to a multi-level mission with patrols and objectives along with a story.

Screens:

Loved the custom stained glass windows. I dont know if they were pictures of the author and his friends or what - but they looked great.

For being in a relatively small space, the place still felt huge.

I really enjoyed the artwork on the walls as well.

I believe this is the starting area, if memory serves.

More fantasy artwork.

I think a sharper texture could have been used for the walls for maximum effect, but the mission still looks incredible.

Warning: Cover your eyes if you are easily offended by fantasy artwork nudity!

Provocative!

The Clocktower By Ottoj55

Mission Thoughts: Coming in a close second for me was The Clocktower. Ottoj55 did a fantastic job with textures and objects as he always does - and I really liked the architecture of the tower. The sound of the thunder and the bright flashes of lightning added a ton to the already great atmosphere. Truly great work - everyone should give this a play through at least once.

Screens:

Welcome to The Clocktower.

A lightning flash caught in screenshot form. You really do need to see this to do it justice, its a great effect.

That book's texture is so sharp you can nearly read what it says.

From another angle.

Tools and a smaller clock inside a larger clock.

A little rope action.

The clock face on the building lights up with the lightning flashes - it looks fantastic.

Hazelshade Cemetery By Nameless Voice

Mission Thoughts: This is another mission that I wish had been made with objectives - the atmosphere is fantastic. I really like the fog effect that stays low to the ground - and since my video card makes it impossible for me to see normal fog I'm glad to see some sort of weather effect. Also liked the rain mixed in. Great looking mission!

Screens: (apologies if the mission is supposed to have normal fog, my video card will not allow it even with fixes)

Welcome to Hazelshade.

Inside here you'll find a great reflective floor effect.

Atmospheric!

Another corner of the cemetery.

The area is small - so its hard to get alot of different shots!

Wonder who is resting for eternity here?

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    Screens: (apologies if the mission is supposed to have normal fog, my video card will not allow it even with fixes)
    It doesn't have fog exactly, but it use the fog functionality of the engine for "gloom", a kind of darkening with distance.

As I recall (haven't looked at it again in a while), the gloom helped everything in the distance to not seem quite as sharp and hard-edged as it does in your screenshots... made it a little less clear that the world ends just outside the graveyard walls.

Clearinghouse

Hazelshade Cemetery

aaarrrgh there really needs to be a fog fix for Vista! At this rate I'm gonna have to buy an old XP computer just for playing Thief 2...

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    aaarrrgh there really needs to be a fog fix for Vista! At this rate I'm gonna have to buy an old XP computer just for playing Thief 2...
    I know it may make some people question my sanity (once again) but other than not showing up in screenshots and having people ask me if I know about the fixes nearly every time I post a mission with it - I really don't miss the fog. I know it lends itself to better atmosphere but I never really enjoyed it and I'd rather be able to see far into the distance to know what's coming/my surroundings at all times. If my video card would allow I'd turn it back on for reviews and then back off again most likely.

Fair enough. I find the fog contributes a huge amount to the atmosphere of some missions. For example Precious Cargo - without fog, it's a simple island, lighthouse, piratey exploring mission. With fog, it suddenly becomes this truly damp place that you can almost feel the rain trickling down the back of your neck, and smell the mould growing in the rotten lighthouse.

Fair enough. I find the fog contributes a huge amount to the atmosphere of some missions. For example Precious Cargo - without fog, it's a simple island, lighthouse, piratey exploring mission. With fog, it suddenly becomes this truly damp place that you can almost feel the rain trickling down the back of your neck, and smell the mould growing in the rotten lighthouse.
    I completely understand and agree - I think my view is just my way of justifying that there is no fix that worked for me and I'll need a new video card before I can see fog again, so I've convinced myself that its best for me this way

After I post the new Thief: TIS thread I'll have at least four more missions to add to this thread!
    Last edited by SneakyJack; 27th Mar 2009 at 02:56.

What graphics card do you have SneakyJack? Only GPUs I know that can't render fog are some integrated Intel series.

It's not a graphics card thing, it's Vista. The only people I know of who've got fog to work on Vista have ATI cards, and even then it's a stretch and you end up with the old wall of fog problem.

It's not a graphics card thing, it's Vista. The only people I know of who've got fog to work on Vista have ATI cards, and even then it's a stretch and you end up with the old wall of fog problem.
    Yeah, its pretty much this - so we'll leave it at that. I've tried every fix out there, tried adjusting my video card settings, updating my drivers and everything else you can imagine, so I don't want to derail this thread for a third time talking about the fog problem.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Funny, I'd do this too, especially since I'm considering an upgrade right now. I wonder what's the lowest PC specs required for a machine that just needs to runs T1 and T2 perfectly without any issues at all (and still be able to max out resolution and things like that)?

Ack! There's A Zombie In The Basement! By Polygon
    Released: 2004 Updated: 2005

What is the story?: What starts out as a routine cash grab on one of the nicer houses in the area becomes a bit more complicated after you find out about a mysterious guest in the house you chose. Shenanigans ensue.

How does it play?: Though part of a small thief mission series by Polygon that won't take you more than a half hour or 45 minutes to complete - this mission was still alot of fun. You won't encounter a ton of guards or servants but the ones you do are well placed and lend to maximum gameplay enjoyment for the time you spend with the mission. There are interesting things to see and do - and I guess my only complaint is the size of the mission - a much larger mission with a fleshed out story and more objectives from this author would have been fantastic.

How does it look?: Everything looks great. The architecture of the house is interesting, the textures are really well done and the interior is well let and decorated. Everything looks good.

How does it sound?: From the minute you start the mission you'll hear - surprise! The zombie in the basement. You knew it was coming though, didn't you? Everything sounds good and I didn't notice any problematic areas for sound.

So what is the verdict?:
    Even though it doesn't require a large time investment and there arent a ton of objectives, this one is still a great mission and worth a playthrough if you want a mansion mission and are on a time budget. Recommended!

Screens:

You even get a little bit of snow before you enter - a nice touch.

Inside the home - great architecture for such a small space.

Creeping through the halls.

That looks like a fire hazard.

Don't mess with this fellow's teddy bear.

Getting warm near the fire.

Interesting table design to say the least!

The kitchen area.. soon there be zombies!!

Sinful Opportunities By Polygon
    Released: 2005

What is the story?: The 'somewhat' sequel to Ack! finds you coming across a note belonging to rival thieves who are planning a job in the very building in which you reside. Can't let them get away with getting there first, now can we?

How does it play?: This mission is a bit larger (at least it feels like it was) than Ack! with a bit more to do, and this made the experience more enjoyable for me. There are a few small scenes here and there that tell a bit more story this time, though a more fleshed out story again would have made the mission feel a bit more complete. I did like Garrett's motivation for why he was pulling off the job - and I always enjoy going head to head with rival thieves. Another fun mission that won't take more than a half hour or so to complete, but you'll have alot of fun during that time.

How does it look?: This mission looks fantastic. From the texturing to the architecture and lighting - it is definitely easy on the eyes. I really liked the little touches here and there (don't want to name too many in a smaller mission to leave some for you to see on a playthrough) but the patrolling guard outside was one example - small touches like that make you feel like you are playing a smaller part of a much bigger area.

How does it sound?:
    Other than one door that can have a bit of sound trouble everything sounded good and I didn't notice any other problems.

So whats the verdict?: I enjoyed this mission even more than the previous installment in Polygon's small mission series, and I hope that there are more installments to come. Recommended!

Screens:

Cozy, eh?

Dark and ominous stairway.

This is going to be fun!

No need for alarm lady, just passin' through. - Garrett

A brief glimpse at the outside.

Patrollin' and lovin' it.

What's going on here?!?!

Snobs Part 1 By Naks
    Released: 2005

What is the story?: You've become very rich and almost legendary in fame since moving to the town of Richpoor - you've also found love. Perhaps its time for you to live the life you always wanted? Don't bet on it. Someone else has other plans for you. You hear a knock at your door....

How does it play?: Though not a perfect mission, Snobs makes up for anything it might lack in the area of charm and fun. From the moment you start hearing Garrett spout one line after another in a conversation made entirely from lines that weren't supposed to be together - you know you are in for something special. Not only does the mission have a sense of humor, but it doesn't take itself seriously at all and this pays off. If you are looking for a super serious ghosting experience full of tension, you might look elsewhere. If you are looking for an entertaining experience in a mission that might give you a few laughs, this one is definitely worth your time.

How does it look?: There are quite a few rough spots in architecture in this one that will stand out - some of it just doesn't make sense. You'll have stone walls hanging over areas seemingly at random and some texture work that just looks broken. Where the mission really looks great is the smaller scenes set up to add character and to tell miniature stories. The town is bustling with activity and people, and therein you'll find the true charm of the missions aesthetics.

How does it sound?:
    Humorous. From the edited together conversations to the guard conversations used somewhat in context - you'll have a good time listening to this one. I did notice a spot or two that had sound propagation problems (in front of the pub the most noticeable) but overall nothing too distracting.

So what is the verdict?:
    This is one of those missions that if you look at it purely with a hard edged eye you may come up with alot of complaints - but it is also one of those missions that have strengths (charm and humor) that make up for a few downfalls. (architecture) I had alot of fun with this mission and think you may as well, I'm definitely going to recommend it for at least a trial playthrough. This is one of those missions that I'd like to hear opinions on from others, as it may be polarizing indeed.

Screens:

Inside Garrett's place.

Inside the pub - I really liked the music/animation combination with the fella in the corner.

This lady was not happy that I crashed her party.

Outside one of the residences.

And inside! I wonder if she'd mind me joining them for dinner?

Strollin' down the lane.

Whoops, sorry, I didn't know you were.. well hello there!

Snobs Part 2 By Naks
    Released: 2006

What is the story?:
    Part two continues the story, and Garrett is on his way to free his fiancee Lora from evil Lord G. Needless to say, on the streets of Richpoor he'll encounter many surprises and quite a few twists.

How does it play?:
    I want to start off by saying that this mission was an absolute bear for me to finish due to multiple (meaning more than 40 throughout my entire playthrough!) crashes happening when I did nearly anything. Pick up a body? Crash. Look at an open area? Crash. Take out my blackjack in some spots? Crash. Walking along normally? Crash and double crash. I've never had a mission act this way before - and after some research I discovered I wasn't the only one.. which is a shame because this mission has so much to see and do.

That being said - the actual gameplay (between crashes for me) was excellent and I had a ton of fun. There are some questionable guard placements that may lead you to being seen more than you would like (which is at all, of course) in highly lit areas - but there simply is so much humor, wit and variety in this mission that you really do need to see it to believe it. Expanding on everything that made the first mission great, Naks took it to extremes here. There are so many custom animations, skins, textures, objects, miniature story scenes and everything else that I continued to play through crash after crash - so that should tell you something about the charm of this mission.

Sure, a few things are odd (like the mixture of completely modern objects with objects from centuries ago, for example) and again the architecture is a bit blocky in parts - but overall the mission is leaps and bounds above the first in the series. I kept playing the mission thinking the entire time "what am I going to see next?" and that was a great feeling. I simply had fun and laughed quite a few times. I also really enjoyed the camvator tour through the city before the mission begins - that was a nice touch and had many great scenes in it that are gone once you begin the actual mission - so pay attention during your flythrough!

How does it look?:
    This mission really has a charming look to it. Sure, you have modern items mixed in with ones from the olden days - but this mission knows that it shouldn't take itself seriously and that makes everything seem to fit. There are custom touches nearly everywhere you look - and all the miniature "scenes" really are a joy to watch. From a mechanist talking to a hot dog vendor to a marriage proposal scene and more - you'll smile quite a few times during your playthrough unless you take the mission too seriously, to which I'd have to ask.. why?

How does it sound?: From the conversations to the music (special notice should go to the humorous music chosen - you'll see what I mean) everything sounds good. The musical choices also added a ton of charm to the mission.

So what is the verdict?:
    I really like the direction this series is headed and I enjoyed the second mission much more than the first. I hope that Naks isn't done with the snobs series and I look forward to the next installment - As for part 2? As long as you don't have problems with crashing I highly recommend it.

Screens:

In Richpoor, we don't mess around.

I loved the man playing piano for the lady in the back who was swiveling her hips to the music - nice touch.

Care for an icy treat?

Nobles being nobles.

Gossip!

The shopping district.

This fellow was shopping for ladies shoes - Don't ask, don't tell I suppose.

She said yes! Or no.. I can't really tell but the spasm that guy was having looked positive?

And a few more random Snobs 2 screens:

This guy was really enjoying that hotdog. I mean, really enjoying it.

Domestic dispute in progress!!

You have to see this scene in action to appreciate its wackyness.

And for discussion: Everyone probably has missions that are against their normal "type" of preferred mission.. but something about the mission pulled you in and kept you enjoying what may not normally the sort of mission for you. If so, what was the mission and why did it keep you roped in?

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Funny, I'd do this too, especially since I'm considering an upgrade right now. I wonder what's the lowest PC specs required for a machine that just needs to runs T1 and T2 perfectly without any issues at all (and still be able to max out resolution and things like that)?
    The computer I had before this one played both games no problem, and even played T3 perfectly just with slow load times. It was actually about 4-5 years old. From what I can recall it was basically WinXP, 2.0 Gig CPU, 500MB RAM, ATI-RADEON 9800. The RADEON 9800 was a $600.00 card when I bought it new in 2003, but just looking on ebay I see the 9800XT going new for $55.00 and even cheaper for used ones. Of course I can't speak for what other people might experience, but I never had a single problem with that card. It served me very well -- it even played games like Far Cry, with most of the graphic options turned on. I never had a single issue with Thief in general until I upgraded. In addition, I had a nice CRT monitor which I think displayed graphics better than the flatscreen. I think I've read before on here that the old CRT monitors display black-on-black better. But, I'm so used to to the flatscreen now that I guess it doesn't bother me at all.

Anyways, that's just my two cents, to your one cent question.
    I guess it doesn't really answer your question though, since I just reread what you posted and you said you wanted to upgrade and not downgrade.

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    And for discussion: Everyone probably has missions that are against their normal "type" of preferred mission.. but something about the mission pulled you in and kept you enjoying what may not normally the sort of mission for you. If so, what was the mission and why did it keep you roped in?
    Actually for me some of the, I guess, 'less-thief' missions that Yandros (and others) have done have drawn me in. Like the Hammerite Deathmatch and one I just tried out called Mask of Agamemnon, which is actually done in the style of Tomb Raider. This is from someone who hasn't played 1 second of Tomb Raider, but I think it was pretty fun. Though I should warn you Sneakyjack, it has jumping around bits that I know you don't like. It's actually something like 'The Temple of the Tides' mixed with a little dash of 'From Beneath the Sands'. And of course it has little blue monkeys running around just to keep you entertained.

I'll play any mission out there happily, though my preferred mission is one that is as scary as humanly possible. I want a level that is so absolutely frightening, that on the hardest difficulty only a few people finish it, and even then their lives will be shortened (yes it will affect you for life.)

I'll add, that when I played the crap contest missions, except for a few that were actually very good, the rest made me basically hate Thief. I really had to grit my teeth to get through them all. Also, there's some missions that are just kind of 'buggy' that I vow to beat just so that they don't beat me. I have to conquer them. For me, the ultimate is Midday Escape, which last time I tried it crashed my computer and gliched my video card, so that I had to uninstall both my video card and Thief and then go through the hassle of reinstalling everything, including the fixes and all the patches that are out there. That was hell, but one day I will beat it. (You better be listening Midday Escape, I'm coming for you).

Clearinghouse
    Snobs Part 2 By Naks
    I think Snobs Part 2 By Naks and TDBonko.

Quote Originally Posted by clearing View Post
    I think Snobs Part 2 By Naks and TDBonko.
    Readme said "Naks (and friends)" so I'm certainly not going to spend half my night tracking down who the "and friends" were. Thanks for the info clearing!

Quote Originally Posted by Xorak View Post
    Also, there's some missions that are just kind of 'buggy' that I vow to beat just so that they don't beat me. I have to conquer them. For me, the ultimate is Midday Escape, which last time I tried it crashed my computer and gliched my video card, so that I had to uninstall both my video card and Thief
    Great contribution Xorak! I know what you mean about finishing a mission so that it wont beat you instead - I had the same thing happen with my recent playthrough of Snobs 2. I finished that mission mainly because of its charm - but I'll be damned if 40 or so crashes in total didn't test the limits of my patience. I've never had it happen with any other mission I've played so something with that mission bugged out when it met my system apparently.

On a side note I just took a quick run through the unfinished "Thief 2 Gold" missions that were released some time ago by the developers and its a shame that they were never finished. I don't know if the community is still working on fleshing them out or not (looks to be like something is still active according to the Thief 2 gold thread here) but the "Slums" level played like it would be alot of fun had it been finished so hopefully at least that mission is finished by someone. It looked to be nearly half or more than half way done as it is.

Screens:

Hell, I had a bit of fun running through the unfinished version due to some of the sounds being there, AI running around and having starting gear.

Your Last Breath By John D.
    Released: 2002

What is the story?: After having a few shots of ale in a local pub, you heard stories of lights and other
    strange activity seen underwater not far offshore from the village. A friend of yours confirmed he saw an 'iron
    boat' surface near the area. You decide to investigate what the Mechanist are doing down there...

How does it play?: Diving is important is this mission. Good timing is necessary to avoid getting drown.
    Your sneaking skills will be tested due to the huge amount of metal floors inside the station. If you like to, you'll
    find some opportunities for your blackjack.

How does it look?: The layout of the station is well down. It looks very believable and sticks to the Mechanist
    Style. On the opposite, many of the rooms look very emtpy, in addition several rooms are completely empty. You'll only find
    one texture for the walls inside, and two types of floor which can be quite disappointing sometimes. Pipes, gauge, machines
    and gear would have made the station look much better, but most walls are just empty metal.

How does it sound?: Sound is solid in this mission. No overlapping sounds or other sound problems. But there could have
    been more ambient sounds. Only some machine noises in small areas are not enough to create the feeling of a station in use.

So what is the verdict?: A nice mission which will take you about 15-20 minutes with an interesting setting and story.
    You should play it before starting Deep Trouble or the Island of Iron.

Screenshots:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

An empty outpost...

...operated by only one Mechanist

The main engines and oyxgen generators

Builder's chapel

Page 22 of 117 FirstFirst ... 27121718192021222324252627323742475257626772 ... LastLast