TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 34 of 105 FirstFirst ... 491419242930313233343536373839444954596469747984 ... LastLast

Thread: General Fan Mission Review And Discussion Megathread

Thanks for reviewing 'Forbidden Rites',SneakyJack, I was hesitating for some time if I would play it (too many choice here ) but I'm glad I finally did.

There is nothing more relaxing on a night than to hear a Hammerite whispering 'Buil-der' and falling down on the floor. Especially those glyph puzzles were nice. I noticed one odd thing though:

If I got the story right, Gregor controlled the undead, I think both the red ones and the black ones, but after you get the staff he will lose the control. That makes sense. It also makes sense that after Garrett got the staff, the black guys will do their magic tric on Gregor because they don't like him anymore. But after some reloads (couldn't get enough of that murder) Gregor spotted the black guy first and attacked him even before the black guy saw him, which was weird. How did Gregor know he had lost control? Oh well, I'm nagging again I think. It was a most enjoyable level, with a good story. Thanks again for recommending it!

Classical Master 2008
    Some bugs and predictable complexity problems notwithstanding, The Lost Crusade is one impressive mission. I am still amazed by the visuals every time I play it, especially since it brings something into the game Thief is not supposed to support so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    There's no reason you can't download the images and brighten them yourself?
    No reason at all expect pure laziness! And possibly lack of time.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    The Lost Crusade By Spoonman
    Released: 2007
    You wouldn't be taking the **** now would you SneakyJack? Those are very bright. But thank you so much for that review - how did I miss this I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiz View Post
    Gamma Panel is handy if you want to temporarily brighten the screen.
    Works a treat. Just what I needed, so thank you very much.

@ nickie: I actually had those screenshots taken, processed and prepared for posting before you had mentioned that the screens were coming out too dark, so believe it or not it was just coincidence.

I had done like a 10 mission binge over the course of a few days when I was feeling extra thiefy and still have not posted all of them.

HEHE thanks for bringing up Forbidden Rites! I was a DromEd newbie back in 2004 and I knew that my architecture would look somewhat crap, so I tried extra hard to set up good gameplay to make up for it. I think I did a pretty good job with that at least.

I also needed to condense the story down better and make it easier to understand, but I guess people liked it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Krush the Second View Post
    HEHE thanks for bringing up Forbidden Rites! I was a DromEd newbie back in 2004 and I knew that my architecture would look somewhat crap, so I tried extra hard to set up good gameplay to make up for it. I think I did a pretty good job with that at least.

I also needed to condense the story down better and make it easier to understand, but I guess people liked it anyway.
    I didn't find anything wrong with the architecture on Forbidden Rites, and in fact I really enjoyed it!

Perhaps you shouldn't be so hard on yourself It was a great mission, and will be revisited by myself many times in the future.

Thanks for all the reviews SneakyJack! I just came back from the german Thief meeting in Dresden for 3 days and you prepared some excellent stuff to read. What a great weekend

And thanks for the picture of the ship

Quote Originally Posted by intruder View Post
    Thanks for all the reviews SneakyJack! I just came back from the german Thief meeting in Dresden for 3 days and you prepared some excellent stuff to read. What a great weekend

And thanks for the picture of the ship
    A 3 day thief meet? Any stories to share?

What did you guys do?

Some games?:
    I am on a holiday and I take with me....my blackjack, my sword, my lockpicks, 3 flashbombs....

Or did you just nicked and drank Benny's booze?

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    A 3 day thief meet? Any stories to share?
    It was a very nice weekend. We were 13 people and we didn't play Thief all the time During the day we did sightseeing in Dresden and in the evenings we had previews of several FM's in development. It was a nice atmosphere, we had several notebooks with us and on each one someone gave a introduction to his/her current DromEd project.

I don't think someone would mind it, if I post the picture of us in here as well:
    Thief Meeting

Xrayalpha created some special T-shirts for the meeting and we all worn them.
    This is how they looked (front/back):
    Thief T-shirts

You should have seen the looks of people passing by....most of them thought we are some new kind of sect

This was my first Thief meeting but it won't be my last

Sounds like it was alot of fun indeed, thanks for posting that!

Xrayalpha created some special T-shirts for the meeting and we all worn them.
    You should start a new fashion:

Thief-clothes now available. Many choices: The Trickster's sign, The Mechanists' sign, your favorite blackjack...

I would definitely buy them all!

@PotatoGuy

Some additional "Thief wear":

http://www.darktales.gamers.de/00000...001/index.html

You can download the design there and take it to a shop that is able to put it on a jacket, T-shirt or whatever you like.

I need to learn more languages to be able to read all these thief sites!

Online site translators arent very good

If I were you, I wouldn't do that. Otherwise they might ask you to do your reviews in all those languages as well
    But you know, if you see something interesting in german, you can always ask me or one of the other german taffers who lurk around here for a translation

If I were you, I wouldn't do that. Otherwise they might ask you to do your reviews in all those languages as well
    But you know, if you see something interesting in german, you can always ask me or one of the other german taffers who lurk around here for a translation
    Hopefully if us non-german speakers are missing anything awesome you'll let us know right?

And I doubt anyone in any other language would want to read my reviews - I don't understand why anyone reads them in english to be honest. That being said, more are on the way, haha.

Took a couple days off for burnout control - gotta keep the buffer high to make sure it doesn't happen, haha.

Insurrection By HipBreaker
    Released: 2005

What is the story?: Lately the Undead have risen out of their graves and massed what seems to be an organized army and are taking over the city. A local Lord, Leonard Krauft, has gotten hold of an antidote.. You figure something like that will be worth quite alot of money and will go to the highest bidder - Stop this insurrection, and make a profit while you are at it.

How does it play?: You can think of Insurrection as two separate missions rolled into one - both to great effect. The first portion of the mission has you sneaking through a city filled with worn down guards scarred from battles with the undead, and many of the buildings you'll enter show the aftermath of those battles. The second portion has you sneaking through the Lord's estate to find the antidote - and dealing with a ton of new perils along the way.

The city portion is excellent and thick with atmosphere. From the few guards left alive in the city to the piles of dead (and furthermore undead) lying everywhere - you will feel the sense of dread hanging over everything as if a battle could break out at any time between whats left of both sides. The gameplay here for the most part is great fun - there are some rope arrow opportunities here and there and exploring whats left of the once bustling city is a treat. There are even a few tricks up the authors sleeve in certain buildings, so look out for those!

The mansion (or estate, whichever you like) mission is also well done and full of secrets, traps and a few puzzles. I enjoyed this portion of the mission moreso than the first, but simply due to personal mission style preference. I really enjoyed finding all the hidden areas and loot - they were well placed and made for great exploration. The traps were clever, and clues left on how to deal with them were entertaining and clear. The readables throughout the mission detailing how the city fell into chaos and how the people reacted were very entertaining. One thing I also particularly used was the way marble was used - mainly squares of it here and there surrounded by wood floor that made it stand out and look nice, but didn't cause marble abuse or make it a pain to travel around the estate. That was a very nice change!

Overall a very strong mission that I couldn't really find anything not to like - there are a few very minor parts where accessing a location or dealing with an enemy seemed a bit tougher than it should have been due to level design but nothing that would take away from an otherwise fantastic mission.

How does it look?: This mission is all about atmosphere and details - and it looks brilliant. From the bodies littering the city to the excellent decor of the estate from top to bottom, everything here is pleasing to the eye. You'll see rubble everywhere, bodies floating under bridges, barricaded doors indicating struggles of the past, excellent (and gritty) texture work and more. I was impressed with the visuals in this one indeed.

How does it sound?:
    The constant sound of the lingering undead kept me constantly on edge, and overall everything sounded great.

So what is the verdict?: A fantastic mission full of atmosphere and a great story of the struggle between the living and undead - I very much recommend this to everyone.

Check this one out if you enjoy: Undead missions, city missions, mansion missions, atmospheric missions.

Screens: (some are pretty dark - I again recommend using one of the forums dark themes)

Sneaking through the city.

Another area of the city.

The city from above.

Your meeting with this fellow is one of the best parts of the mission - I won't spoil anything here - but its probably not what you'd expect to happen from the screenshot.

What in the world happened here?

This fellow was hiding out behind a bookcase - Clever, but not clever enough!

I really liked the look of the inside of the mansion - very easy on the eyes.

Very museum-esque decor.

Just For Show By Tumbleweed
    Released: 2002

What is the story?: Lord Bafford has been collecting rare and valuable books, and you've gotten a tip that he's expecting a shipment any time now.. Time to visit the inn that the merchant is staying at to see if you can get to this valuable item before it can be delivered the following day..

How does it play?: This mission plays very much like a classic thief mission (as do many that were released around the time this one was) and in many ways resembles the gameplay of the original missions. It is a mansion/inn style mission with a challenge - you cant let any of the guards set off the alarm (or consequently steal any items that can set off said alarm) and this 'challenge' can border on frustration at some points.

My main issue with the mission was guard placement and patrol routes. In one area there is a guard on the main floor perched right next to an alarm button - and the route you are given to sneak up on said guard for blackjacking causes you to hug the wall and sneak up to the side of where they are standing for a konk to the side of the head.

Right next to the guard hangs a giant steel plate with an alarm button on it - I think many of you know exactly where I'm going with this scenario.. Instead of swinging my blackjack and hearing that satisfying THUD and watching a body drop - I swung my blackjack (what should have been completely missing the alarm area) only to hear it KLANG against an invisible steel object that apparently was sticking out in front of the guard as an odd extension of the alarm - and twice I failed the mission knowing that I should have cleared this alarm structure both times.

That problem aside overall I just seemed to have difficulty with the marble and guard patrols working in harmony against me - I was somehow alerting folks one floor up just by walking down hallways and things of that nature - the sound in general seemed a bit wonky. There is some great classic gameplay to be had at many points in this mission - but it definitely could use somewhat of a reworking at a few points to make it less buggy overall. Adding a "return to where you started" or "return to the city streets" objective would have stopped the mission from abruptly halting in the middle of the inn when you reach the loot objective as well. I had to play the mission three times to see all of it due to me finishing it randomly.

The city parts were fun and felt once again like I was running through an original mission - which for the classic feel is always a good thing, and I liked how the guards were neutral until you gave them a reason not to be.

How does it look?: I know I've used it alot in this review already - but 'classic' is the best way to describe it. From the architecture to the texture work and beyond, this mission has a throwback feel to it, and that is not a bad thing at all. Overall looks are very solid, though it a higher res texture for rugs and such here and there could definitely help.

How does it sound?: Sound propagation seemed very iffy during my playthrough and I could alert everyone within two floors just by walking through a certain area - never a good thing on a mission that relies so heavily on the alarm objective for its challenge. Perhaps I just hit a sweet spot a few times that most will never encounter, but it definitely made the mission tougher!

What is the verdict?: For anyone looking for a ghosting challenge, this mission should be right up your alley. Its got a classic look and feel and a bit of challenge (sometimes for the wrong reasons) that will interest more hardcore players, but I don't think I'll be revisiting this one.

Check this one out if you enjoy:
    Classic style missions, city missions, human enemies, mansion missions.

Screens:

Walking through this front door is a bad idea, trust me.

This guard didn't seem annoyed that I was snapping pictures.

This one was annoyed with my constant covering of her eyes and asking her to "guess who".

A room near the inn's kitchen area.

Benny and the ol' "someone spilled some mead" story.

Strollin' with the locals.

Nostalgia By Random Taffer
    Released: 2006

What is the story?:
    Living in the poor section of town - you do your best to assist your father who has had to take odd jobs from a local noble in order to make ends meet. Things were going well and your father was making rent on time until one day everything changed...

How does it play?: This mission is very interesting in that you don't play the role of Garrett.. or a thief at all really. You are in the shoes of someone just trying to help your father out by taking care of some chores when some things happen that require you to go above and beyond your usual duties for the sake of the family.

The first part of the mission before the mystery begins plays a bit like your typical fetch quest - get this item, bring it here and exchange it for that item.. but when things change and you are thrust into unfamiliar territory, the mission really takes off with exploration into the unknown. Your ghosting skills will be tested here due to you being absolutely defenseless - so if ghosting isnt your thing you may be in for a challenge in the later half of the mission.

The mission itself is rather short but fun - it can probably be completed in less than a half hour if you know where to go and what you need to do. The city looks and 'feels' fantastic, but it left me wishing there were more buildings to enter and more to do before you are thrust into the ghosting portion of the mission.

Special mention should go to the actual characters in the city itself. Most AI will 'greet' you with a line or two of spoken dialog when you come near them which really added to the immersion factor of the city and made it feel much more alive. I really enjoyed this effect - from your mother greeting you in your home before you leave for the day to the bank teller asking how they can help.. even the man at the fish market telling you to put your money in the box to get the fish your father asked for - it was a really great bit of effort put into breathing life into the AI.

How does it look?: This mission looks really great. From the skins used on the AI (one woman in particular had a very impressive skin that is much more detailed and realistic than the usual thief 2 AI) to the gritty textures of the city streets, I really enjoyed the look of the mission.

How does it sound?: Sound is one area where this mission really stands out. From the excellent music used in the mission (Really set the mood for me) to some great voice acting work by a handful of folks from the community - most of this missions personality comes from its sound and it is well done. Some of the conversations (such as a Hammer getting riled up about being locked out of his own temple) were very funny as well.

So what is the verdict?: If you dont mind stepping into the shoes of a non-thief and still going on an adventure, this mission will provide you with a (somewhat short) dose of fun - and everyone should give it a runthrough at least once if just for the music, conversations and visuals. Recommended!

Screens: (please don't mention fog - seriously)

Thief 2 from the top down perspective! This shot was taken during the excellent opening narration and camvator sequence.

What are your parents doing on this roof??

Basso.. I mean, your father - gives you your chores for the day.

Inside the city.

This poor fellow sits in the dark all by himself. I sat with him for a while and listened to his stories about swashbuckling and such.

I gave this guy a gold coin to help him out and he screamed "damn kids nowadays!" I have no idea what he meant, I mean - hey, gold coin right?

I wanted to push this fellow over the side and run away cackling to myself in glee.

Since when did thief AI start looking so detailed? Much better than the usual boxy female AI.

In re Insurrection, I thought http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92966 was interesting. Good thing he didn't just delete it all.

The female AI in the last screenshot from Nostalgia is actually a Thief 3 AI, that's why it is looking much better than ordinary Thief 2 AI's.

It's too bad Targa didn't port more of them back to T2 before going AWOL again... I wonder if someone else could do it?

Hey, SneakyJack.

Just a word to say thanks for all of your mini reviews. I often find myself not sure where to start with playing FMs so it's nice to be able to browse through before going on a shopping spree on SouthQuarter.

The female AI in the last screenshot from Nostalgia is actually a Thief 3 AI, that's why it is looking much better than ordinary Thief 2 AI's.
    Its been so long since I've played Thief 3 that I wouldnt have even noticed

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    Hey, SneakyJack.
    Just a word to say thanks for all of your mini reviews. I often find myself not sure where to start with playing FMs so it's nice to be able to browse through before going on a shopping spree on SouthQuarter.
    Your kind words are appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    It's too bad Targa didn't port more of them back to T2 before going AWOL again... I wonder if someone else could do it?
    It definitely adds a ton to Thief 2 visuals - and mixed with some high quality texture work could bring people further away from thinking the Dark Engine is hard to look at.

Classical Master 2008
    I'll be the dissenting voice here and say I don't like that AI model at all. The models from the first two games, low poly as they were, looked like the people who would inhabit a gritty steampunk city. This girl, on the other hand, has that creepazoid Everquest-style-generic-fantasy-meets-Realdoll look. It must be the blandness. The serving maids from TDP had more personality in much fewer polygons and only 256 colours.

Page 34 of 105 FirstFirst ... 491419242930313233343536373839444954596469747984 ... LastLast