TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 108 FirstFirst ... 234567891011162126313641465156106 ... LastLast

Thread: General Fan Mission Review And Discussion Megathread

The Seven Sisters: Night Three by Lady Rowena

This mission really threw me. I figured we'd be spending three evenings in the city following the story of the sisters from beginning to end - but it was not meant to be. Lady Rowena takes us to the woods for the third and final evening, and I'd have to say that this was my least favorite of the three - but saying that it is still an excellent mission in its own right.. just seemed drastically different from the first two and may have benefited from being its own setting and storyline.

That being said, it is still alot of fun - and has a few sections that put the fear into you with some tough enemies. I've grown to fear treebeasts more than hammer haunts after a few recent missions I've played, if that tells you anything. Treebeasts to me are terrifying due to their speed - those things are relentless.

Back to the mission - this one has a ton of very well textured tree house-like settlements that you need to navigate in search of items and profit - and quite a few surprises. Apologies if my screenshots ahead give away a few, but in the spirit of giving an accurate portrayal of the missions I like to take elements from every section. If you do not enjoy forest missions, stop at night 2 - but if this is more your thing, you will have a blast ropearrowing, jumping and the like from tree to tree. The gameplay is fun and challenging, and though the mission is set in the usually bland setting of the forest, Lady Rowena manages to keep it looking great and varied in the locations without being bland or boring. Future forest setting fan mission creators should take note of the great job done here at keeping things interesting and fresh.

Now on to the screens (Spoiler warning as with all my screenshots)

We're not in Kansas anymore.

Not pictured: Tree hugging pagans.

There are unimaginable horrors in this picture, trust me - you'll see when you get there.

Here too.

The view from above.

Tons of water arrows and a dark passageway - I'm sure nothing bad is going to happen!

Mr. Growlyface says YOU SHALL NOT PASS

I learned two things from this mission - 1. Its completely possible to have that bastard chase you into the water and 2. They do not drown. Which makes sense, being that he is made of wood and leaves.

Photobucket is killing me with its super slow load times right now, so I'll continue in the evening with the next missions. I've got a ton to post.

Ominous Bequest Screenshots

Next up we have Ominous Bequest Gold Edition by Eshaktaar

Ominous Bequest is and always will be one of the finest Thief 2 fan missions around - it was groundbreaking when it was released and it is still completely solid today.

Purely from a design standpoint this mission is very well done. The mansion is absolutely huge, the guard patrol routes are very well done and there are tons of hidden passages and attic spaces to keep your ghosting ability high. The difficulty is pretty much average - and there are some supernatural and magical elements thrown in here and there - which is always nice. There are a few clever puzzle like objectives but nothing complicated enough to be frustrating. The gameplay is top notch and you'll have alot of fun making your way through this one.

Also: The frying pan and the so-satisfying clunk noise it makes when it connects with a victim is just great.

The storyline is solid and very interesting to read - I don't want to give away any of it here - but it'll keep you hooked trying to find out exactly what went on in this mansion. Highly recommended.

Outside the massive mansion.

A look inside the main hall.

A fall from this distance would hurt. (Oh Garrett, you card!)

This guy seems to be having a fireside chat.. erm, with himself.

Amazing!

EL KABONG decides to skip the "wine and dine" portion of the courting ritual.

Next up is Broken Triad also by Eshaktaar

Eshaktaar took everything that was great about Ominous Bequest, cranked it up ten notches and produced Broken Triad.

From a technical standpoint, you will see dromed do more complicated things in this 2 mission set than you thought possible. The special effects created in dromed.. I don't know how Eshaktaar did it - but its amazing stuff. The architecture is incredible, the gameplay and texturing are both top notch as well. This mission set may be very complicated, but that does not take away from that fact that it is also extremely fun.

As far as difficulty goes - the two missions are not cakewalk. They will not frustrate you for the most part - but one or two puzzles in particular may make you want to give up if you do not search for hints. The colored floor puzzle in particular caused me quite a bit of reloads. Keep in mind though, that finishing the puzzles are made more than worth it - so continue on if things get tough.

The story here is where Broken Triad really shines. There are a few moments that will have you thinking 'what the hell?' - But after all is explained and revealed you'll realize that you just took in one of the most twisted, frightening and entertaining stories that dromed has ever been used to tell.

I can't recommend this mission set enough - if you havent given it a try, just take a look at the following shots and tell me you still have a reason not to:

This is your target.

Streetcorner at night.

Oh, this can't be good.

Don't want to end up here.

Look at that.

This will not be easy. I'm going to need a credit card and some duct tape.

My nightmares are in color.

I knew those brownies were 'special'.

I just realized I didn't screenshot the second mission, so I'll leave that for you to be surprised if you have not yet played it!

In Dubio Pro Garrett

In Dubio Pro Garrett by MH Thefreak and Dainem

In Dubio has you reclaiming stolen goods heisted after someone broke into your pad and pinning some dirt on Lord Andre - the culprit responsible.

This mission is a more simple "gameplay is king" mission - which I can completely appreciate. It isnt a bad looking mission, but the architecture is quite boxy and plain - so it may contrast quite a bit after playing missions like Broken Triad and The Seven Sisters like I did. That being said, it is by no means an ugly mission, just more simply designed.

The gameplay here is alot of fun - there are some wide open spaces that give you multiple ways to go through them should you choose - and the difficulty is on the easy side, but not easy enough to make you lose interest.

The story is good and overall this mission was fun to play.

You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

The market at night.

Gatherin' 'round the hangin' platform.

I imagine this guy doing a John Travolta in "Stayin' Alive" type walk.

I love mansions.

Green does not mean go.

I should have brought a bigger bag.

EL KABONG agrees that it is hard to find good help these days.

Thief Trinity

Thief Trinity by Theker:

This is a great looking medium sized city mission with a few bits of paranormal activity thrown into the mix that has to locating a few key items and having a run in with a secret order of Mechanists.

The city itself is great to look at and has some great design elements, and from a gameplay stance the mission is fairly straight forward but fun. There are a couple moments that may cause a fright due to them being unexpected, but thats half the fun!

The story is pretty good here and the difficulty in some parts can be frustrating due to the amount of noisy floor and the proximity to the people that can hear it - so tread lightly in this one.

Overall a very solid mission that is very nice to look at - and holds alot of fun.

Screens:

Cinematic!

Sneaking sneaking!

Thief lighting is great looking sometimes.

Why is there always a giant church? - Garrett

The rustic bar. I'm pretty sure the dress code here is flannel and construction boots.

Upstairs.

A building with a burning pentagram on top? Must be something like a Holiday Inn.

Clearinghouse

Awesome.

The Ashen Age

The Ashen Age by Sliptip

I think the first thing anyone notices is how absolutely striking this fan mission is. The textures used, the sounds (apparently lifted mostly from thief 3 according to the authors readable) and the architecture are simply a sight to behold. It looks like a completely different game engine.

This mission is rivaled only by Rocksbourg 3 in the overall look - its that good.

As far as the mission itself - It has great gameplay and fun objectives - the only problem I had is that frequently I got lost due to the similar architecture and design, but that is probably just user error on my part. I got a little frustrated when I couldnt figure out where to go next or what I needed to do to advance due to some strangely placed grate opening switches that were fairly far away from what they open.

The setting is a daytime setting, which is a nice change - and there is a good story underneath the pretty face of this mission along with a few surprises. This mission should be played by everyone at least once, it is quite impressive.

This guard will not be happy to see me.

The arches! THE ARCHES!!!

Must keep swimming, swimming swimming

Inside a home.

Sunlight and artificial light.

More great lighting!

This water fountain was memorizing to the nobles.

Final sunlight glory shot.

Way Of The Sword By Ottoj55

This mission wins a ton of originality points by trying lots of new things. It has a very interesting setting that you may not be used to, and overall has a very Samurai feel to it. Otto also gave us some different weapons to work with.

The difficulty level here is fairly high due to the spaces being very small and cramped (at least the hallways) and many of the doors being transparent. The guards have a tendency to see you before you see them, in other words. There are a few complicated puzzles (one of which can get pretty frustrating if you do not map it out to give yourself enough time to throw all the switches before it resets itself) but nothing too mind bending really.

The gameplay is alot of fun, and most of the fun comes from the puzzles and the different setting - Otto has really used his imagination to bring a different area of thief to life. His texture work and architecture fit the theme very well and are both top notch as well. If you enjoy samurai settings, feudal japan or anything of the sort - this mission will be icing on the cake for you. Otherwise, you'll still really enjoy it, I know I did.

I loved the artwork and the statues used throughout, it really added to the setting.

I've made the natives restless, it seems.

Catching up on my history.

Might as well build a house while I'm here trying to solve this switch puzzle - its kicking my behind.

I don't want to know what has went on in this sauna over time.

What is this guy doing in my garden?

Thank goodness, I was a bit chilly.

Stare into the colors and forg...... wait.. what?

Next up we have Burglary In Blackbrook by DarkAssassin

This is a seemingly wide open mission taking place in and around a giant hammer temple. The place is massive, and is filled to the brim with hammer propaganda, which is great. Everywhere you look you'll see hammer insignia, banners, floor tiles, windows - even a hammer shaped pool. The author went all out decking this place out in true hammer fashion - and it is a sight to behold. If you are a fan of the hammer faction like I am, this place will be a great fit in your fan mission collection.

The gameplay is completely solid - it is a ton of fun sneaking around the huge more or less open area of the building and avoiding the hilarious hammers (out of all the enemies, their fits of anger amuse me the most) while taking in the glorious decorations of the building itself.

The story here is also good, albeit somewhat thin - I'll leave that one up to you to discover. A few great scripted events further the story in very interesting ways once you get to the lower levels of the mission. As far as challenge - this mission is fairly easy, but can get quite hairy in some spots if you do not watch your step. Decent challenge depending on difficulty level.

Overall a great mission to play if you just need to have some fun while spending some time with one of the best factions in the game.

Those Hammers sure are classy decorators.

One example of the great use of hammers in the architecture.

More hammers!

Thats right, a hammer shaped pool. Stylish!

Let the builders brainwashing begin!

The Hammers: Destroying evil one flyer at a time.

Do the mash. The monster mash!

Hammers here, hammers there, hammers everywhere.

Shadows Of Eidolon by MasterThief3

Make no mistake, this mission is frightening. You are thrown into an unknown area armed with nothing but your flare - you will wander around in the darkness alone (perhaps!) for quite a while. I wont ruin what happens in this fan mission, but lets just say I probably won't be playing it twice - being scared for more than a half hour straight once was enough for me.

The gameplay is.. frightening. If you enjoy scary fan missions, you need to play this one. You will be freaked out once or twice I'm sure. As far as difficulty, it varies based on how well you do with the feeling that something is going to jump out at you any second. Thats all I'll say. The mission's story is second to its atmosphere, but it is pretty good as well.

I can sum up the entire mission in this one image. Step into the darkness.

What? You cant see it? Look closer. You probably won't want to take a closer look.

Its a long way to the end.

This is a factory.. shouldn't it have.. well.. workers? Something is not right here.

The only problem with sticking to the shadows is finding out whats in them.

What a view!

Horns Of Canzo: A Long Way Up by Sterlino

Ahh, HoC - how I have such a love/hate relationship with thee.

Horns of Canzo is a mostly vertical mission that takes you more or less up the side of a mountain. You'll climb and climb, and climb some more - finally reaching your destination of the hotel at the top.

There are tons of things that Sterlino does very well with this mission. An in-mission shop that you can visit at any time, vertical thief gameplay, a mixture of all sorts of location types and enemies, and a pretty good story to boot.

I do, however, experience a few frustrating things when I replay this mission - and being one of my favorites.. it can be quite often. For example, in one area you are asked to scale the inside of a tower by ladders.. and seemingly through supernatural powers the guards will not only notice and hear you through solid stone walls but will sound the alarm midway through your ascent to the top of said tower - royally pissing off the guards at the top before you get there.. even if you are absolutely silent. I've had this happen to me every time I've tried it through many playthroughs - I still don't understand how it happens.

There are also some elemental jumping puzzles that will make you want to put your fist through your monitor in frustration - but you know what? The mission is just really damn fun, and those minor frustrations can be overlooked. Is the mission perfect? No. Will I be replaying it for the next few years? Indeed. The sum of all of its parts makes this mission truly one of the best that have been produced - regardless of a few bugs that may pop up. Sterlino pushes dromed to do some things that I had never seen before this mission - and his work pays off. The in game shop was a fantastic addition - though I would have liked to have seen much more loot scattered around to use as spending money during the mission. Again, minor complaints about a fantastic mission.

Horns Of Canzo 2 is one of my most anticipated missions for the future, so I'm hoping that Sterlino is able to finish it regardless of what needs to be cut for time. I'm sure I'm not the only one, as this one will always be a favorite of mine.

These directions seem simple enough, even for me.

The great in-mission shop.

Gathering at the bar?

Oh sorry ma'am I... HAHA

Dun Dun DUUUUNNNNNNNN!!!!

I need some groovy blue water lights on my house.

This is the ladder area.. the one that has ruined keyboards.

Location, location, location!
    Last edited by SneakyJack; 28th Jan 2009 at 02:55.

Bloodmist Tower by Kfort

I don't really have alot to say about this one other than that it opened up to be a much more involved mission than I thought it would be, and that it was great fun getting through. There are alot of funny moments mixed in with frightening moments - and some very creative enemies involved.

The locations are also interesting, as is the story. The mad scientist angle is always amusing to me, and here it plays very well. Highly recommended!

Welcome to Bloodmist Tower.

This looks safe, I'll jump right in.

Oh, you scoff at it now, but I bet its delicious.

What is it with ghosts dancing in circles? You'd think they'd mix it up a bit once in a while.

I tried re-arranging these crystals to spell out something dirty, but it was not meant to be.

Highway to the danger zone.

A hammer with liquid shooting out of his head and a zombie with its head on fire. When I come up with something more awesome than that I will make a funny remark, but I don't think I can.

The sounds this woman made will keep me up at night.

Bane 1: Keep Of Deceit by TheImmortalThief

This mission really surprised me with how much gameplay goodness it packed into some relatively small areas. Lots of sneaking and a few bits of thieves highway rooftop jumping to be had - and overall this mission is alot of fun.

The architecture and texture work are very good, and the mission itself as a whole is great to look at, you will have no shortage of eye candy while finishing this one.

The difficulty can vary - I know more than a few times I alerted guards due to me being horrible with noisy floors. On the easy setting it was just right for me, I'm no ghoster unless I'm really trying to challenge myself.

A great mission with a good story that expands a bit as you go along.

What is that fellow doing?

Run thief run.

A bit of the city.

How do I get up there with no stairs?

Fancy!

Praise Karras!

Even more fancy!

I'm betting they wanted this place kept secret.

I posted this one in the announcement thread today, but might as well repost it here for archival purposes:

The Book of Prophecy - Part 2: The hidden City by Schattengilde

This mission was challenging in all the right ways and never frustrating. Very well done on the difficulty balanced with fun!

When I read the part about an underground city I figured it would be small, but wow was I wrong! Also, the story and readable are very well done, and I found myself reading everything I could get my hands on to further the story for myself. A few shocking scenes along with some great story twists and turns. Very well done, and could be a contender for best mission of 2009!

Screens for anyone interested:

Even the sewers are well built and interestingly designed!

Part of the amazing underground city.

Another city main hall.

Inside one of the more extravagant underground mansions.

The shadow guild would love to ruin your day.

Alright, thats 14 missions posted in one day - I think I've worn out my welcome for a bit.
    Last edited by SneakyJack; 28th Jan 2009 at 02:55.

Great job SneakyJack!
    You picked very good screenshots from FM's that are even better

Some of the pics are really jawdropping

I know this thread is now probably pummeling anyone not on a broadband connection and I apologize, but really.. if you are still on dialup you deserve it, haha. Its 2009!

Next I decided to re-tackle the Night In Rocksbourg series.

Night In Rocksbourg 1: New Beginning by DrK

This mission would begin one of the finest fan mission series available today. The architecture, gameplay, texturing (gritty, dark and fantastic), and ambient sounds are all amazing stuff. DrK has excellent attention for detail and it shows.

Difficulty is probably around mid level - you will be challenged a bit, but with the first mission there is no frustration, and you'll have alot of fun. One thing that did bother me was the way one key was hidden - you'd never know it was there until you search for a hint on the forum or you click around on every floor to find it. Also - the architecture.. though great looking - can get a bit confusing and have you going 'round in circles looking for the one spot you may have missed.

There is a scare or two in this mission as well - so if you are faint at heart this series is definitely not for you. It only gets scarier as we go on.

Gotta love deep blue windows against the night sky.

This guy is a bastard. Even EL KABONG could not take him down with the trusty blackjack.

I love the top down views as well.

Ahh, guards with lanterns. A cruel, cruel trick indeed.

Well isnt this a big ruckus of a meeting?

The city streets.

Two guards are apparently arguing over who shall partake in "stare at the wall" duty.

The peasants love to run against barred up doors for some reason. You'd think they'd run out of juice and sit down eventually.

Night In Rocksbourg 2: Discovery By DrK

This mission looks and feels alot like the first mission in the series, and obviously continues where the first mission left off. The plague is even more widespread now and causing more panic and unrest with the people.

This mission offers an odd sense of both challenge and safety that I really enjoy - there is one main area of the city streets that you can travel and not be hassled by the patrolling guards or city folks - and it adds a ton of immersion to the mission by giving it a bit more realism as to how folks would really act toward an unknown person. A few guards even notice you and say something non confrontational, which is fun as well.

One thing I wanted to mention as well is the improvement in voice acting. The first missions voice acting was pretty rough - and this mission was a bit better. It was odd to have a custom recorded line said right before a recycled guard line by the same guard during a scripted conversation, though. The third mission in the series blows the first two away with its voice acting, so don't fret!

The gameplay here is even more fun than the first mission due to the previously mentioned safe/danger zone structure giving you that feeling of safety when you are within the metal gates - but fear when you step outside them of turning the whole city against you. That may very well happen if you are caught, so watch your step and shadows.

This mission gets even more spooky than the first, and sets the stage for the third mission well - and we all know how that one ended up. I still have to change my pants a time or two while trying to make it through that horror fest.

The second mission is more fun, more expansive and basically improved upon everything in the first - just the way a sequel should.

The lady down in front there really needs to learn how to hold her liquor.

Last time I played poker with these fellows I went home wearing nothing but a barrel and a frown.

More guards.. WITH LANTERNS!

Step right up, test your luck!

These fellows are probably arguing about wenches and such.

Nothing like a good barbecue.

Drink in the scenery.

Blood? Check. Bodies? Check. Flies? Check. Typical Friday night in Rocksbourg.

Night In Rocksbourg 3: Ink And Dust by DrK

Alright, lets get this out of the way first: This mission is pants-shittingly scary. I mean that. Its hard for me to struggle through it due to some of the enemies and scripted events being literally terrifying - and I'm an adult who can handle scary movies and jump-scare movie scenes like nothing.

The third mission in the Rocksbourg series blows the first two away in all areas. The texturing is better (if you can believe that, the bar was set high already!) the design is better (more fancy effects, scripted events and varied enemies), the voice acting is above and beyond the first two (almost professional grade with some very cool voice effects on the souls) and so on.

The souls themselves steal the show - from their great look to the creepy (and funny if you listen to the fellows discussing scrolls and such) sounds they make - Its a shame they aren't part of thief canon.. they very well should be the next faction. I find them more interesting than the keepers at least.

This mission gameplaywise kicks my ass as far as difficulty. The souls themselves are a terrifying foe - and once you anger them you'll have a very hard time matching them in speed or skill.. in other words - they will gang beat you until you reach for the reload button.

The locations housed in this mission are so varied and interesting (but again, scary.. wait until you see the dark zone.) that I encourage everyone to try it once just to see what was accomplished in dromed for this one. Give it a spin - you may need a change of pants or two - but it is more than worth it.

With these screens I left alot of stuff out - it isnt right to spoil the best surprises in this one.

Just to give you an idea of the sheer size of this place.

The upper floor of the massive library main area.

Novices studying hard as to not get yelled at by Captain Spooky Voice. (Soul Thales, I think was his name)

Soul: Know your role.
    Novice: Aww shucks.
    Just paraphrasing there.

Captain Spooky Voice gives me my briefing, along with another pair of briefs. Trust me, you'll need them where you are going.

The creepy statues.. just wait.

Great color schemes throughout that stand out against the dark settings.

The dining hall - this guy apparently was assigned to fireplace guard duty.
    Last edited by SneakyJack; 29th Jan 2009 at 13:58.

And to take a break from posting tons of reviews and to get back into discussion - I really enjoyed replaying Rocksbourg 3: Ink And Dust due to the Souls being a new faction to the thief world.

I cant think of many fan missions that create their own groups of enemies - can anyone else direct me to any?

"Curse these glyphs, they make a FOOL OF ME!"

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Finally you made screens of my missions, awesome
    They look incredibly good, sharp, with high definition. It almost looks like you cleaned the textures ! And they show how the first missions lack of details and harmony in colors and textures compared to the third...

And Captain Spooky voice is made by Quincy Jones Wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    The souls themselves steal the show - from their great look to the creepy (and funny if you listen to the fellows discussing scrolls and such) sounds they make - Its a shame they aren't part of thief canon.. they very well should be the next faction. I find them more interesting than the keepers at least.
    Thanks a lot !
    Last edited by DrK; 29th Jan 2009 at 09:50.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack
    Its a shame they aren't part of thief canon.. they very well should be the next faction. I find them more interesting than the keepers at least.
    Especially those lame T3 keepers... ungh... The Souls are actually closer to how I represented the keepers to myself when I first played the TDP when it was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Taffer View Post
    "Curse these glyphs, they make a FOOL OF ME!"

Exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about. Even their mumbling sounds were amusing to listen to - partly because of the strange inflection of the voice effects used.

Quote Originally Posted by all View Post
    Especially those lame T3 keepers... ungh... The Souls are actually closer to how I represented the keepers to myself when I first played the TDP when it was released.
    I agree, the Souls are much more mysterious and less.. well - "safe feeling" I guess than the keepers. With the souls you are actually frightened of the people you are trying to help. Well, that and the fact that they keep horrifying and sometimes invincible monsters in their home is a bit unsettling as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Finally you made screens of my missions, awesome
    They look incredibly good, sharp, with high definition. It almost looks like you cleaned the textures ! And they show how the first missions lack of details and harmony in colors and textures compared to the third...

And Captain Spooky voice is made by Quincy Jones Wannabe

Thanks a lot !
    All I did to your screenshots were crank up the contrast and brightness to make them visible like I do all of the screens to attempt to make them "pop" - other than that, I didn't even use a smoothness filter or anything that I recall. Thats all your excellent texture work my friend

Quincy Jones Wannabe did a superb job with the voice acting of course - but the amazing vocal effects (the part where he first begins talking to you and starts to get angry with multilayered spooky voices... yikes) made the character both scary and likable at the same time.

It took me a while to post shots from the Rocksbourg series due to me knowing I'd have to play through Ink and Dust again and I had to mentally prepare

Edit: I just got an error that I included more than nine images in my post with this one - smilies really don't need to be included as images.

I think the most frustrated I've ever been with a fan mission had to be my recent playthrough of Calendra's Legacy Part 2: Midnight At Murkbell.

Just about everything I dislike about a fan mission was thrown into this one all at once.

* Timed objective? Check.
    * Forced ghosting? Check.
    * Both at the same time? Double check.
    * Completely unarmed? Check.
    * Undead everywhere? Check.
    * Putting undead in every main location entrance without giving you any weapons on easy difficulty? Yeap.

I reloaded about 20 times after being massacred by hammer haunts and finally gave up. I replayed it for screenshots knowing that I did not enjoy it the first time - so what can you do, really.

I'm sure ghosters loved this mission series and it is very good looking well built - but its not for me. Seeing that it came out around 2000 I bet it was amazing for its time, though. The area is absolutely huge.

Page 6 of 108 FirstFirst ... 234567891011162126313641465156106 ... LastLast