TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 63 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1318232833384348535859606162636465666768737883889398103 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 2678

Thread: General Fan Mission Review And Discussion Megathread

Are you sure you actaully got smarter? I don't see much logic in it.

Anyways, let's continue discussing TDM

"Anyways, let's continue discussing TDM"

I've just posted this in "The Dark Mod released!!" thread [ http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129171 ], and thought I would cross-post it here, so you folks don't miss it , as I'm curious what you think about it and if you agree (or have other suggestions to TDM team regarding this):

A suggestion for TDM team:

please make run/walk/creep keys independent of each other, like in T1/T2.
    Right now, if I have "always run" option selected (set to yes), to creep I have to press THREE keys at once (inconvienient!). In Thief - only one key (and in T2 at least, there's 4th state, even slower than normal creep). Please see/compare how it's implemented in Thief. In stealth games, having toggle/modifier keys for how fast player moves is not enough (separate keys are MUCH better/more convenient). In normal shooters (like Doom/Quake), you usually simply RUN (not walk), so that setup is sufficient there, but NOT in stealth games (IMO).

(I came to this conclusion), when trying to remap all keys from my long-year tried and tested T2 setup to TDM, and I stumbled upon this. (I can post my T2 key setup - IMO VERY convinient - if anyone is interested). I think WASD setup doesn't work very well in stealth games.

I think thats a great suggestion, Hiatus. I have trouble with the footsteps in general in TDM - the guards are far too sensitive to them when you get within blackjack range and the footstep themselves take the "Garrett wearing tap shoes" problem of the Thief games and crank it up even further. In the newest fan mission The Thieves I literally had to turn my sound down because the tap shoe effect was so loud - and then I turned "always run" off and had to slow-creep my way through the entire mission just to keep from being noticed.

Again it all comes back to my "program for fun gameplay, not for simulation style realism" hopes for TDM. First and foremost it should be mechanically sound and should be FUN. Anything after that is just icing on the cake to me.

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    I think thats a great suggestion, Hiatus. I have trouble with the footsteps in general in TDM - the guards are far too sensitive to them when you get within blackjack range and the footstep themselves take the "Garrett wearing tap shoes" problem of the Thief games and crank it up even further. In the newest fan mission The Thieves I literally had to turn my sound down because the tap shoe effect was so loud - and then I turned "always run" off and had to slow-creep my way through the entire mission just to keep from being noticed.

Again it all comes back to my "program for fun gameplay, not for simulation style realism" hopes for TDM. First and foremost it should be mechanically sound and should be FUN. Anything after that is just icing on the cake to me.
    I think too the gameplay should come first above all. More than anything else that's the reason that so many games fail, but so often it's the easist thing to perfect. I'd like to see the blackjack done a little better, because it never really appears to make contact when it actually does, and when it misses the enemy that's when it looks like it hits the best. It messes me up everytime.

I'm not sure I understand the movement problem about running and walking and pressing all sorts of keys and what not. For me, it works the same way as Thief 2, except to creep forward I use CTRL+forward instead of just CTRL. All other movement is identical.

I wouldn't be surprised if in later versions the movement sounds from Thief are basically incorporated into the Dark Mod. The current sounds might be just placeholders.

I wouldn't be surprised if in later versions the movement sounds from Thief are basically incorporated into the Dark Mod.
    Since we don't intend on breaking copyright laws, that's not going to happen.

There's nothing wrong with the sounds themselves...they're just too loud at the moment. That will be addressed in the next update.

Springheel: any ETA for that update?

HEY everyone! Just finished up another Top 10 list, hope you all enjoy it.

THE MIKE'S TOP TEN FAVORITE "CRAZY" MISSIONS

You may have noticed that there is no article there. Funny thing that. You see, not to be a filthy traitor to this thread or anything, I promised Southquarter webmaster Brethren that I would give him an exclusive top 10 as a way of saying "thanks for letting me post my crap on your site". Anyway, the article is right here.

As usual, please send some comments my way if you get the time (either in this thread or under the article) since that's essentially what I work for. That and the peanuts they feed me.

Springheel: any ETA for that update?
    Hopefully sometime in January, but that's just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mike View Post
    HEY everyone! Just finished up another Top 10 list, hope you all enjoy it.

THE MIKE'S TOP TEN FAVORITE "CRAZY" MISSIONS

You may have noticed that there is no article there. Funny thing that. You see, not to be a filthy traitor to this thread or anything, I promised Southquarter webmaster Brethren that I would give him an exclusive top 10 as a way of saying "thanks for letting me post my crap on your site". Anyway, the article is right here.

As usual, please send some comments my way if you get the time (either in this thread or under the article) since that's essentially what I work for. That and the peanuts they feed me.
    Oh I see how it is.. this thread gives you the freedom you needed and first chance you get you run off into the arms of another

But seriously, great article and I really enjoyed it. Some choice quotes as a preview for those who haven't clicked yet:

I’d be lying if I said this mission ranked high on the fun scale, just because its gameplay is so repetitive and never really exceedingly thrilling (as I said, a great deal of it involves dropping salt into someone’s soup as a sort of scare tactic…cuz y’know…when I think “over-seasoned soup” my next thought is inevitably “restless poltergeists”)
    *For those of you who don’t know what “scripting” means, it’s some kind of crazy voodoo level designers use to make neat stuff happen…and to try to steal your soul through your monitor. It can look awesome but keep a crucifix handy.
    *”research” meaning I checked the first sentence of the readme file and then played “World of Warcraft” for three hours.
    Great list and good choice for number 1 I also enjoy that you are honest and up front in your reviews and not afraid to call it like it is - I do the same thing and even using examples and tact without being unpleasant it always ruffles someones feathers.

Great review, Mike!

*cough* traitor! *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Springheel View Post
    Hopefully sometime in January, but that's just a guess.
    so it's delayed ?

Thanks for the additional pimping out of my article Sneaky...and after I went and ditched you guys. OH THE GUILT!

You know it's funny...I never laugh at my own writing until someone quotes it. What do you think, mental disorder?
    By the way, this article was a giant pain in the ass to write, so I think I'll be doing a nice easy review next. And yes, it will be posted here as well (I might even throw in some fancy fonts, just to show I still care ).

And yeah, Dark Mod, how 'bout that thing huh?! (this is my subtle way of apologizing for attempting to hijack the conversation)

After you see what I've been working on you can tell me what a true pain in the ass to write really is

I was starting to get disappointed when I didn't see Bloodmist Tower on the list, and then I got to the bottom
    great reviews The Mike

Can't wait to see what you're preparing to unleash on us SneakyJack. Hurry up with it already! WRITE MAN, WRITE!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayra View Post
    I was starting to get disappointed when I didn't see Bloodmist Tower on the list, and then I got to the bottom
    I'm a master of suspense.

Great review Mike - you know I love those top ten lists. And really, I appreciate the "exclusivity" of the article, but I have no problem at all with posting it here and there or any combination thereof. I really don't want any of this seem like a competition. Just keep those reviews coming, they're always extremely entertaining to read.

OK, a few missions I was surprised didn't make the "crazy" cut:

The Acid Trip
    Gussie's Dream
    Any of Slugg's Bestest FMs
    Yume No Rozen
    Most of the missions from the "Crap" contest
    Get all recent FMs at www.southquarter.com/downloads

Classical Master 2008
    I am missing A Simple Job Planned for This Evening from the list. It was a CTEC mission that took the whole surreal theme to a new level.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiatus View Post
    so it's delayed ?
    I don't think we ever put a specific release date out for our first update, did we? I know internally we were hoping for around Christmas, but I don't think it will be until a few weeks after that at the earliest.

Don't worry, it will be worth waiting for...there will be at least 3 new types of AI included (zombies anyone?).

Classical Master 2008
    Plus, I hope, one of those mouth-wateringly large levels?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your Top 10 list, Mike. Very, very entertaining!

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Great review Mike - you know I love those top ten lists. And really, I appreciate the "exclusivity" of the article, but I have no problem at all with posting it here and there or any combination thereof. I really don't want any of this seem like a competition. Just keep those reviews coming, they're always extremely entertaining to read.

OK, a few missions I was surprised didn't make the "crazy" cut:

The Acid Trip
    Gussie's Dream
    Any of Slugg's Bestest FMs
    Yume No Rozen
    Most of the missions from the "Crap" contest
    The main thing to keep in mind was that this was my top 10 favorite crazy missions, not just the top 10 craziest missions ever. When I started this article I actually wrote up two quick top 10s, one for my favorites and one for the top 10 most purely crazy (which every mission on your list was on). I decided that I'd rather write about the ones I enjoyed the most, not that the ones you mentioned aren't entertaining in their own special way (though I never made it out of the first room in Gussie's Dream...).

Also, there has been a lot of joking but I really doubt anyone is actually emotionally scarred from me making this article a Southquarter exclusive. I mean...this thread currently has like 20 exclusive reviews from me.
    AND I used the "exclusivity" excuse as a cheap way out of having to post it and crop all of the screenshots twice this time. THERE, NOW THE TRUTH COMES OUT.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and thanks everyone for the comments! I'm hanging each one of them on my refrigerator as we speak.

Just got around to reading that Top 10 List, Mike - great stuff, as always, no matter where they're posted

(So; Southquarter, eh? Moving up in the world! Then again, I'm sure you won't let this go to your head... )

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
    (So; Southquarter, eh? Moving up in the world! Then again, I'm sure you won't let this go to your head... )
    Well, I used to post reviews on SQ, but there was no feedback whatsoever so I gave up. Good luck to The Mike, though.

I understand that feeling sometimes - but again, as I've said before.. If you are posting reviews for the feedback or for anything other than the warm fuzzy feeling of the love for the game - you'll get discouraged very quickly as alot of people read but few take the time to comment on individual reviews. Its a very small percentage of those that do reply.

I definitely enjoy your reviews and even moreso as you are a master mission builder and designer - so I hope you do continue here at least.
    Last edited by SneakyJack; 10th Dec 2009 at 15:17.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    IIf you are posting reviews for the feedback or for anything other than the warm fuzzy feeling of the love for the game - you'll get discouraged very quickly as alot of people read but few take the time to comment on individual reviews.
    That probably goes for the majority of creative endeavours, really. Creating something - be it prose, art, levels, or whatever - for feedback, fame, or more or less any other reason than you wanting to do it for your own gratification or personal objectives is likely to lead to disappointment, discouragement, and disaffection.

Page 63 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1318232833384348535859606162636465666768737883889398103 ... LastLast