TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 75 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2530354045505560657071727374757677787980859095100105110115 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 2923

Thread: General Fan Mission Review And Discussion Megathread

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    Is there anywhere that is keeping an up-to-date (and hopefully complete) database of missions?
    This is probably pointless to mention at this time, who knows, but if I ever get my own host, I've always been considering keeping an up-to-date Thief/TDM archive. When that time comes, I'll never know.
    - - -
    In other news, I finally got around to reviewing another TDM FM, though I had problems writing it for some reason, probably a rough one this time. I think I should really get around and review the others I've missed out (despite completing them all - I feel lazy)

The Heart of Lone Salvation by Fidcal & Baddcog

Actually, that's not bad at all: Google must be improving this service at last (spending a tiny % of that vast profit?)

Anyhow, ttlg.de gives a single, really up to date page, much like thiefmissions.com - as it used to be. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
    The FM d/l page at ttlg.de is right up to date, really comprehensive & very nicely presented.

Darkfate.ru is also up to date & very comprehensive, but a bit tricky if you don't know Russian. (It's also pretty slow-loading).
    But I think they're working on an English translation of the site - anyone know how that's coming?

And The Dark Wiki is coming along, but, of course, the d/l links rely on the archive sites remaining active...

The Keep has apparently been suspended - is that temporary or has Komag given it up?
    No idea about the keep - but it hadn't been updated with new missions in quite some time I don't think before it was suspended

Thank you for the links! I kept forgetting that the download page at ttlg.de exists but it looks like the best bet at the moment. Darkfate is great as well.

Southquarter.com/fms
    FYI, Southquarter was hacked, so we're trying to decide what to do with the remnants at this point. I keep meaning to get Shalebridge up and running, but it seems like I can never find the time.

Hacked? Why would someone possibly want to hack Southquarter of all places?

Southquarter.com/fms
    There's always some jagoff out there trying to mess things up. It's like people who distribute viruses, that's just how they get their kicks. The actual content of the site is irrelevant to them.

Btw, while the main part of SQ is down (the reviews/interviews part powered by Wordpress), the download page is still working.

Hacked? Why would someone possibly want to hack Southquarter of all places?
    I suspect you may be looking at it the wrong way, honestly.

There are systems out there that will search for sites using specific pieces of software (wordpress, phpBB, vBulletin, etc, etc) by going through the results of searching for identifying strings using google or other search engines. Each time the system finds a site that appears to be running software it understands, the system attempts to exploit known security flaws in the site's software. If the site is running a vulnerable version of the software, the system can automatically subvert the site.

All this can be done with little or no intervention by the person running the hacking scripts.

So there's the very real likelihood that Southquarter wasn't so much a target, more just the victim of the constant background noise of such attempts that any vaguely visible site gets (I get several hundred per day against my servers).

Tried playing a mission called The Bar (4C) By GOB recently - and I'm sorta confused. For those of you who have played that mission - are the guards supposed to be invisible and unable to hurt you? I can only find like 3 NPCS in the entire bar and 2 invisible guards who I can hear but who can't hurt me nor can I see them. They follow me around growling and attacking but to no effect.

Is it supposed to be this way or did I get a corrupted mission?

I think it's supposed to be that way. I recall playing a bar mission with invisible AI, where you have to steal Bafford's Scepter once again, I think.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I don't know if the author intended it to be that way or not, but it was released that way and I guess never corrected (if it was unintentional).

Either way its a shame - the mission looks fantastic and has some very nice looking windows and such - it just feels terribly incomplete.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    There's always some jagoff out there trying to mess things up. It's like people who distribute viruses, that's just how they get their kicks. The actual content of the site is irrelevant to them.
    Darkfate was hacked too.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    FYI, Southquarter was hacked
    GAH, this pisses me off so much! I tried to add a couple of reviews about a week ago and couldn't because the site was apparantly down, I guess this is why. That really sucks man.
    As soon as it gets fixed I'll add some new content. And I hope it does get fixed soon- don't get too discouraged dude, a lot of people around here love visiting Southquarter (even though they don't leave many comments on the site....not that I'm bitter or anything. )

Here you go Mikey, the sequel is finally out. Bring it on man, do your worst!

Thiefmissions.com

Southquarter is down, the keep seems to be dead, thiefmissions.com is not being updated anymore, the circle's database seems to be last updated in 2009.. Is there anywhere that is keeping an up-to-date (and hopefully complete) database of missions?
    You picked an odd time to post that, as thiefmissions came back to life pretty much the same day. Still have some catching up to do, though.

Tried playing a mission called The Bar (4C) By GOB recently - and I'm sorta confused. For those of you who have played that mission - are the guards supposed to be invisible and unable to hurt you? I can only find like 3 NPCS in the entire bar and 2 invisible guards who I can hear but who can't hurt me nor can I see them. They follow me around growling and attacking but to no effect.

Is it supposed to be this way or did I get a corrupted mission?
    If I recall correctly that mission was one of the first to contain DEDX content but did not ship with said content. The player would have to have DEDX installed in their own Thief directory in order for things to work properly.

Hi, fellas and ladies, since this is a fan mission discussion thread I was wondering how you feel about ambient music in FM's? Am I the only one who doesn't really like it or even miss it when not there? Don't get me wrong, in some areas soft ambient in the background is great - the OM's wouldn't be the same without it -, but mostly I find it somewhat unrealistic and even annoying. It can be tastefully done, not interfering with gameplay and you can actually hear the sounds of approaching guards or their conversations. But sometimes the ambient is just way too loud for me, even when its there to set the mood and atmosphere (like the Rocksbourg series: great series, really loud music)... I hope I'm not going to get kicked out of here for saying this... For the sake of conversation, what do you guys/gals think?

Summer

I do like some good ambience playing in the background, it can add a lot to the mood considering it fits the mission. Rocksbourg series used Silent Hill tracks which I thought fit extremely well. Having no ambience play to make you feel alone works, but for me a suitable track can make me feel truely alone. Ambience needs to be subtle enough to hear it but not over power every other element in the mission.

I agree with you, quakis.

The right music can really make a mission stand out, the feel of the mission changes. For example, the OM Bafford's (can't remember the actual mission name) has an ambient that still affects me today, making me feel trepidation and anxiety - both of which make the first-time exprience a memorable one, at least it did for me

I like having good ambient music in an FM. It can really add to the mood. Especially when the music creates an appropriate atmosphere and evokes an appropriate response from me - for example, suspense. A perfect example is Eclipsed by HipBreaker (though there are many others). And many authors are very good at balancing ambients with roombrushing so you can still hear guards, etc. Yandros is particularly deft at this. Though I agree that ambient music that is too loud and interferes with gameplay isn't something I care for usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    I agree with you, quakis.

The right music can really make a mission stand out, the feel of the mission changes. For example, the OM Bafford's (can't remember the actual mission name) has an ambient that still affects me today, making me feel trepidation and anxiety - both of which make the first-time exprience a memorable one, at least it did for me
    You talking about the eerie tones? Sort of sounds like a distant wailing choir at times?
    If so, I agree. That ambient loop was brilliant and I reused it in my Anniversary contest mission, Ashes and Dust.

It's by far my favorite ambient loop in the entire Thief series. Like you, it really affected me.

Well Thief isn't all that realistic so the eerie ambient doesn't annoy me at all. Actually it's what makes me enjoy a mission much much more, due to the atmosphere it helps to create.

Oh, and I loved the sounds in the Rocksbourg series and thought that the ambient from Silent Hill fits Thief amazingly well

I love any sort of classical or theme fitting music in a thief mission that isn't overly loud and adds to the overall atmosphere of the experience.

On the other hand - I really, really don't like when someone uses something silly like heavy metal music or some jarring and overly loud extreme piece of music in a mission - it never works as intended for me unless the intention is to shatter immersion and annoy me as a player. It really makes me wonder why a few authors in the past have made otherwise great missions and decided to throw a random ridiculous piece of growly or screamy metal music in for whatever reason. If a mission is completely combat oriented or set in the future or outside the normal thief style world I'm sure it fits - but inside the thief world? Come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Taffer View Post
    You talking about the eerie tones? Sort of sounds like a distant wailing choir at times?
    If so, I agree. That ambient loop was brilliant and I reused it in my Anniversary contest mission, Ashes and Dust.

It's by far my favorite ambient loop in the entire Thief series. Like you, it really affected me.
    Exactly what I meant You start Bafford's on the street, no music, you travel to the sewers and the moment you enter the storage room - BAM! Garrett's words and the music... Totally awesome effect, set the mood right up. Still remember it today, the anxious feeling that rose from it, the beginning of a great adventure...

And BTW, your mission Ashes and Dust was really great and packed full for such a small space. Found one mask by accident, looked for the other for awhile. And yep, I did notice the classic piece of music, too Nice work!

On the other hand - I really, really don't like when someone uses something silly like heavy metal music or some jarring and overly loud extreme piece of music in a mission - it never works as intended for me unless the intention is to shatter immersion and annoy me as a player.
    Not even in Gaetane's "Happy New Year, Mr. Lambert" mission? The sight of all those snobby nobles at the party getting down to Rammstein was freakin' hilarious.

Seriously, though, I really don't like when FM authors use the loud, metal, EX-TREEEEM!-type musics either.

Page 75 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2530354045505560657071727374757677787980859095100105110115 ... LastLast