TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 75 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2530354045505560657071727374757677787980859095100105 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 2675

Thread: General Fan Mission Review And Discussion Megathread

Oy vey...here we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Unkillable Cat View Post

If it makes you feel better, I have made a second post in the KS thread where I go into further detail of my criticism, complete with suggestions for improvements.
    Probably what you should have posted originally, huh?

People like you worry me. Really, you do.

You do not own this forum, and as far as I can tell you are not in a position to dictate what has, or has not, a place on this forum, you only have your opinion, and you have a full right to it. Just like me.
    Yeah....my opinion....which I gave. Hence the qualifier "should". I didn't state my opinion as indisputable fact like, oh for instance, "You screwed up, badly".

You're wrong. It's not free. Cheap, yes. But not free.
    ...Do you have to pass a toll bridge with a troll under it to get to your computer room?

:facepalm:

So you're trying to tell me that if I do something and I don't like it, I'm supposed to shut up about it?
    No, and if you read my post you quoted the hell out of a little more carefully, you will see that I not only endorse negative criticism- I said that I endorsed it in friggen bold print for God's sake. My whole point was, it's possible to say you don't like something without being a jerk about it.

Question 1: What do you think faceless corporate entities are made of?

Question 2: Did you (or do you still) think that John Romero needed to be taken down a notch?
    Question 1: People. Who are paid. And probably freaking hate their job and could care less how you feel about the games they were involved in as long as they get a paycheck (just speaking from my own work-force experience).

Question 2: Yes, at the time Daikatana came out I really did think John Romero needed to be taken down a notch. The guy just seemed like an asshole, and I have no problem with people being assholes to other assholes.

Based on that reasoning, I'd say Zontik is getting rewarded handsomely for his efforts. Keep in mind that there are countless people all over the world who have toiled away on their own artistic creations for months, years or even decades, only to find that when they finally release them to the public that their effort was unwelcome, unneccessary or even utterly pointless. Far too many of them even died as a direct result. Zontik's work is "only" getting a divided reception. He's doing pretty good, all things considered.
    I said in my original post that negative criticism is important, and I agree that Zontik is doing well. So uh...I'll move on I guess. What the hell was the point of this paragraph again?

I was not aware that TTLG was an online therapy session, where a group of like-minded people are to positively reinforce one another until they're ready to deal with the world at large. Oh wait...it isn't. It's a forum.

Zontik wanted opinions, he got mine. Don't like it? Tough.
    My entire point was, this board is full of intelligent people so we should therefore provide intelligent criticism. Just raging over how much you hated something is pointless- the author gets nothing from it other than discouragement. But if that's all that you can do, then by all means, continue. And I'll continue to be irritated by it.
    Last edited by The Mike; 21st Apr 2010 at 18:34.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    I'm quoting this here because its honest - something somewhat lacking nowadays. Well that and its an alternate viewpoint and we need more of those.
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post1982614

Hah, I just read that post, clearing. It's (though positive) also a good alternate viewpoint, and it was a good read.

I generally try to stay out of discussions like this because my Great Autie Matilda used to tell me, "Little bassboy-not-yet-ret, if you can't say something nice, the shut your F-ing face, A**-hole!" (sniff, she was so sweet). But I just felt I should say that before reading that one post from WhiteFantom, I was definitely leaning toward skipping Zontik's mission because I find my buttocks most often firmly planted in the "me-no-likey-frustration, frustration-bad" camp. But, after reading WhiteFantom's post, I've decided I will definitely give it a try because her reasons for enjoying it sound like reasons I enjoy playing adventure games, too. Opinions, opinions... ain't they fun...
    Last edited by bassmanret; 21st Apr 2010 at 14:53. Reason: Quoting my Great Autie Matilda, not my personal feelings.

Great review Summer! I hope that you'll continue reviewing missions, your reviews are fun to read. You also chose a great mission - Mysterious Invitation is among my favorites.

Your screenshots looked fine (definitely not too dark!) on my already too dark monitor - so no worries about that. Its great that you chose to include some! I have re-sized the images for you if you'd like to re-link your images so that they don't break forum rules.
    Thanks for your kind words, SneakyJack This was my first posting ever with pictures, so I made the mistake of uploading the images without realizing just how huge they would become. I'll do better next time

Quote Originally Posted by PsymH
    Wow, it's great to see that my first fan mission is still under discussion.
    Thank you for a great FM I'm going to tackle Ultima Ratio next

Summer

Southquarter is down, the keep seems to be dead, thiefmissions.com is not being updated anymore, the circle's database seems to be last updated in 2009.. Is there anywhere that is keeping an up-to-date (and hopefully complete) database of missions?

The FM d/l page at ttlg.de is right up to date, really comprehensive & very nicely presented.

Darkfate.ru is also up to date & very comprehensive, but a bit tricky if you don't know Russian. (It's also pretty slow-loading).
    But I think they're working on an English translation of the site - anyone know how that's coming?

And The Dark Wiki is coming along, but, of course, the d/l links rely on the archive sites remaining active...

The Keep has apparently been suspended - is that temporary or has Komag given it up?
    Last edited by Sticky Fingers; 24th Apr 2010 at 07:47.

Darkfate.ru is also up to date & very comprehensive, but a bit tricky if you don't know Russian. (It's also pretty slow-loading).
    But I think they're working on an English translation of the site - anyone know how that's coming?
    You can also try Google translate to help with non English websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
    No, but in the meantime: http://translate.google.com/translat...darkfate.ru%2F

Is there anywhere that is keeping an up-to-date (and hopefully complete) database of missions?
    This is probably pointless to mention at this time, who knows, but if I ever get my own host, I've always been considering keeping an up-to-date Thief/TDM archive. When that time comes, I'll never know.
    - - -
    In other news, I finally got around to reviewing another TDM FM, though I had problems writing it for some reason, probably a rough one this time. I think I should really get around and review the others I've missed out (despite completing them all - I feel lazy)

The Heart of Lone Salvation by Fidcal & Baddcog

Actually, that's not bad at all: Google must be improving this service at last (spending a tiny % of that vast profit?)

Anyhow, ttlg.de gives a single, really up to date page, much like thiefmissions.com - as it used to be. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
    The FM d/l page at ttlg.de is right up to date, really comprehensive & very nicely presented.

And The Dark Wiki is coming along, but, of course, the d/l links rely on the archive sites remaining active...

The Keep has apparently been suspended - is that temporary or has Komag given it up?
    No idea about the keep - but it hadn't been updated with new missions in quite some time I don't think before it was suspended

Thank you for the links! I kept forgetting that the download page at ttlg.de exists but it looks like the best bet at the moment. Darkfate is great as well.

FYI, Southquarter was hacked, so we're trying to decide what to do with the remnants at this point. I keep meaning to get Shalebridge up and running, but it seems like I can never find the time.

Hacked? Why would someone possibly want to hack Southquarter of all places?

There's always some jagoff out there trying to mess things up. It's like people who distribute viruses, that's just how they get their kicks. The actual content of the site is irrelevant to them.

Btw, while the main part of SQ is down (the reviews/interviews part powered by Wordpress), the download page is still working.

Hacked? Why would someone possibly want to hack Southquarter of all places?
    I suspect you may be looking at it the wrong way, honestly.

There are systems out there that will search for sites using specific pieces of software (wordpress, phpBB, vBulletin, etc, etc) by going through the results of searching for identifying strings using google or other search engines. Each time the system finds a site that appears to be running software it understands, the system attempts to exploit known security flaws in the site's software. If the site is running a vulnerable version of the software, the system can automatically subvert the site.

All this can be done with little or no intervention by the person running the hacking scripts.

So there's the very real likelihood that Southquarter wasn't so much a target, more just the victim of the constant background noise of such attempts that any vaguely visible site gets (I get several hundred per day against my servers).

Tried playing a mission called The Bar (4C) By GOB recently - and I'm sorta confused. For those of you who have played that mission - are the guards supposed to be invisible and unable to hurt you? I can only find like 3 NPCS in the entire bar and 2 invisible guards who I can hear but who can't hurt me nor can I see them. They follow me around growling and attacking but to no effect.

Is it supposed to be this way or did I get a corrupted mission?

I think it's supposed to be that way. I recall playing a bar mission with invisible AI, where you have to steal Bafford's Scepter once again, I think.

I don't know if the author intended it to be that way or not, but it was released that way and I guess never corrected (if it was unintentional).

Either way its a shame - the mission looks fantastic and has some very nice looking windows and such - it just feels terribly incomplete.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    There's always some jagoff out there trying to mess things up. It's like people who distribute viruses, that's just how they get their kicks. The actual content of the site is irrelevant to them.
    Darkfate was hacked too.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    FYI, Southquarter was hacked
    GAH, this pisses me off so much! I tried to add a couple of reviews about a week ago and couldn't because the site was apparantly down, I guess this is why. That really sucks man.
    As soon as it gets fixed I'll add some new content. And I hope it does get fixed soon- don't get too discouraged dude, a lot of people around here love visiting Southquarter (even though they don't leave many comments on the site....not that I'm bitter or anything. )

Here you go Mikey, the sequel is finally out. Bring it on man, do your worst!

Southquarter is down, the keep seems to be dead, thiefmissions.com is not being updated anymore, the circle's database seems to be last updated in 2009.. Is there anywhere that is keeping an up-to-date (and hopefully complete) database of missions?
    You picked an odd time to post that, as thiefmissions came back to life pretty much the same day. Still have some catching up to do, though.

Tried playing a mission called The Bar (4C) By GOB recently - and I'm sorta confused. For those of you who have played that mission - are the guards supposed to be invisible and unable to hurt you? I can only find like 3 NPCS in the entire bar and 2 invisible guards who I can hear but who can't hurt me nor can I see them. They follow me around growling and attacking but to no effect.

Is it supposed to be this way or did I get a corrupted mission?
    If I recall correctly that mission was one of the first to contain DEDX content but did not ship with said content. The player would have to have DEDX installed in their own Thief directory in order for things to work properly.

Page 75 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2530354045505560657071727374757677787980859095100105 ... LastLast