TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Help! The regular video fixes won't work!

Help! The regular video fixes won't work!

I've tried all of them from the faq's. Nothing worked. Even when I tried to play the cutscenes in the Windows video player I get a "visualization", not the actual scene.

I downloaded the Klite codec mega-pack to my desktop. I double clicked on it to install it. When that was done, a dialog box appears asking me to configure this, that, and the other thing. Not knowing AT ALL what I am doing, I click all four options. Then three boxes came up: one was properties, the other two were ffdshow audio decoder and ffdshow video decoder. I have no idea what to do with any of the dialog boxes.

I'm afraid that since I don't know what to do or how, I'm going to screw something up--ruin the audio/video playback for some other program like, say, quicktime. All I want to do is play Thief:Gold. Can somebody help me, please?

I have Windows VISTA, 32 bit machine. onboard video and sound. I don't know if I have a dual core/processor.

Quote Originally Posted by jbairdjr View Post
    I have Windows VISTA, 32 bit machine. onboard video and sound. I don't know if I have a dual core/processor.
    What make and model of pc are you using...

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    What make and model of pc are you using...
    HP Pavilion m9150f
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40Ghz 2.40Ghz
    3.00 GB RAM

As you probably figured out by now you have a quad core cpu.

have you installed DDfix - thief wont run correctly on a quad core and vista without it.

With regards to klite, you need to install the standard version not the mega version, I believe its upto version 4.7.0 atm

As you probably figured out by now you have a quad core cpu.
    Yeah. That was a little embarassing for me. Sorry about that.

have you installed DDfix - thief wont run correctly on a quad core and vista without it.
    How do I do that?

With regards to klite, you need to install the standard version not the mega version, I believe its upto version 4.7.0 atm
    I'll give that a shot.

How do I do that?
    Do a search on the forum for DDfix

Do a search on the forum for DDfix
    Okay. I found DDfix. I followed the instructions to extract this and edit that. The resolution is still bad and the cutscenes don't play.

Okay. The cutscenes are playing (for now) but the resolution is still bad.

How closely did you read the FAQs and look at the stuck topics? You need the widescreen patch. Details on it are here:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117616

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
    How closely did you read the FAQs and look at the stuck topics? You need the widescreen patch. Details on it are here:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117616
    Tried that. Resolution is still crappy. To get a crisp, clean picture what should the resolution be on a widescreen monitor?

To get a crisp, clean picture what should the resolution be on a widescreen monitor?
    It depends on what the native resolution of your monitor is.

It depends on what the native resolution of your monitor is.
    1920 by 1200 is the max res for my HDMI monitor. That's the same as native res for this monitor, right? Should I set the game res to 1920 by 1200?
    Last edited by jbairdjr; 4th Apr 2009 at 06:03.

Okay, so, here's where I am:

I got the game to run w/o crashing and the cutscenes to play. Using DDfix I set the game res to the max allowed by the monitor cp. The display is still bad.

The first noticeable thing, even on the initial splash screen, is that everything looks a little "foggy." This is true for in-game as well. Also, things seem a tad bit too bit-mappy (especially the cut-scenes) and the "dark" sections of the game (places where Garrett would hide, for example) are exceedingly dark. I thought sliding the gamma adjust button would help here, but it did not.

I tried adjusting the resolution in the monitor cp to its fullest, but that did not help either.

Any suggestions? Many, many thanks in advance!

I tried adjusting the resolution in the monitor cp to its fullest, but that did not help either.Any suggestions? Many, many thanks in advance!
    It sound like thr game isnt running at the native res of the monitor...

look in the ddfix.ini and cam.cfg and make sure the resolution is set to the same in both files..

The cutscenes are going to look "bad" no matter what because they're old, thus, their resolution is nowhere near what current monitors can run. When blown up to large size, they're going to be fiercely pixelated.

Also remember that the game is quite old, and not nearly up to modern standards. Even in high resolutions, it's going to be blocky and have lousy looking, grainy textures.

Actually, it could be ddfix's fault. Doors look pixelated up close with ddfix enabled, if you're using ddfix 1.1.1.

Resolved

Okay. I got everything working. Once I got the screen resolutions fixed, playing TG on this quad-core CPU with widescreen HDMI monitor was kinda like watching an old movie on an HDTV. There were thick, black borders to the left and right of the game. Short of that, the game worked flawlessly.

Thank you all for your help! Now, I'm going to replace my mobo on another computer (the quad-core is actually my wife's) and try to get Thief to run on that.

If you install the widescreen mod then you won't have to play it in the 4:3 aspect ratio.

If you install the widescreen mod then you won't have to play it in the 4:3 aspect ratio.
    I would, but my wife kinda kicked me off her pc. Now I'm dealing with my own custom-built one.