TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162126 ... LastLast

Thread: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    I don't see what you mean, I don't have the sliders at 100% and the game looks good.
    I'm talking about 3rd slider from the top in the advanced graphics options, it's called "Разрешение текстур" (texture resolution). The game doesn't allow me to set it in the most right position, actually it allows but keeps to reset it to 3/4 of the bar after that. Try to set it to 3/4 of the bar if you don't have the problem and you'll probably see what I mean: resolution of textures reminds me of PS2 games.

Some people write that now one needs 3Gb of RAM and 4Gb of swap file to be able to use non-downgraded textures. Other people insist that Win7 64 bit is needed. But it's a common problem now, many moan that they can't play with full-sized textures anymore (as I wrote, the textures aren't any more hi-res than in SoC or CS, they are the same as in earlier games where full-sized textures worked on my machine).

I can set them on 100% in static lighting mode however. As for "high texture option" - it's for static lighting mode only. It's a dilemma for me now: either I play in dynamic mode with horrible textures, or in static mode (without shadows etc.) but with textures of SoC/CS quality.
    Hmmm.... isn't it idiotic?

242, попробуй для исправления бага с текстурами низкого качества в user.ltx заменить texture_lod 1 на texture_lod 0
    Спасибо, но это уже всё пройдено, texture_lod 0 doesn't change anything, there will be "0" instead of "1" in the file, but actually nothing will change. There IS a way to force the non-downgraded textures to be used even when the game doesn't allow it, but it will result in serious stutters and crashes.

PS:
    242, problem solved (but Win 7 32bit only).
    I saw that, there is a way for XP too (/3GB in boot.ini file). But the thing is that it doesn't help much, because the game starts to stutter and crash with full-sized textures on the machines that don't allow to use full-sized textures normally in the game Now I wish to know exact requirements.
    Last edited by 242; 2nd Oct 2009 at 10:14.

A moderator of official forums just explained the problem.

It has to do with memory fragmentation that DirectX uses for loading of textures. In 32bit OSes (at least Win) max address space for a process is 2Gb bla bla bla, CoP needs more than that for non-downgraded textures with current size of maps, the problem is solvable if all resources are loaded anew every time player loads a save file, but it will lead to too long loadings. For 64-bit OSes 4Gb of address space is allowed for every 32-bit process, and therefore they allow to use full-sized textures in the game.

it's just quick translation, I have no idea if it does make a sense or not.

There is a way to force full-sized texture to be used on 32-bit OSes however, but stability is not guaranteed:

WinXP (32bit):
    execute command line
    bootcfg /raw "/3GB /user2500" /A /I
    or add following: "/3GB /userva2500" in the boot.ini file
    and restart computer

For Windows Vista(32bit)/ Windows7(32bit):
    execute command line
    bcdedit /set IncreaseUserV2500

I've got a question. So now with those multi-option hand-crafted side missions, are randomly generated quests gone completely? I don't know what are the opinions on them around these parts but personally I've always liked it that there's basically always some random stuff going on, even if I'm not taking the quest up. So are there still some random missions or just those 70 side quests GSC has talked about?

About generated quests I don't know, I'm refusing to play it for now with such graphics
    Look at the weapon's texture. It looks like a game from 2000, like Gothic1, when the sun comes out it looks better, but overall it's much worse than SoC. It's not just downgraded textures on my machine, but artistic and architectural design of at least the first location too - there is a huge lack of details compared to previous titles.
    Last edited by 242; 3rd Oct 2009 at 09:13.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    About generated quests I don't know, I'm refusing to play it for now with such graphics
    It captures that desolate, abandoned, worn-out post-USRR style quite well

Quests seem much more interesting though. A few I finished were not linear, and linked with some other quests. Also, a lot of new items.

my weapons don't look that bad ;(
    anyways, pripyat is the "shit". exploring every nook and cranny the game gives you hours and hours of pleasure. I'm giddy like a schoolkid, fanboy-ism got me and I won't accept any more bad words about the GOTY contender of this year
    (just kiddin')

Taking a break
    So you're playing the russian version?

GOTY contender of this year
    Next year, for most people. Seriously, screw this release schedule.

my weapons don't look that bad ;(
    anyways, pripyat is the "shit". exploring every nook and cranny the game gives you hours and hours of pleasure. I'm giddy like a schoolkid, fanboy-ism got me and I won't accept any more bad words about the GOTY contender of this year
    (just kiddin')

Obviously your system allows to use full sized textures, Win7 64-bit probably?

I played some more forcing myself to forget about the textures and lack of graphics details, and the game is interesting, interesting dialogues and side stories, interesting nook and crannies with prizes and surprises here and there. This swamp is even larger than the swamp from CS. And overall the game seems much closer to RPG than any of previous. I still have played too little to judge it properly though.

PS: And the sky is not clear anymore, it's almost permanently murky now.
    Last edited by 242; 3rd Oct 2009 at 15:22.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    And the sky is not clear anymore

So any, you know, pics or something?

previous page are pics, for me it's raining most of the time.
    and no, I don't play win7-64, I play win7-32. (the only real bad textures are in the cracks / the small underground canyons in the swamp)
    yes, it's the russian version, but with shitty translation (that works enough to understand what to do)

PS: minefields are your FRIEND
    Last edited by mothra; 3rd Oct 2009 at 18:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post

So any, you know, pics or something?

Ok, here are some, it's all a small part of Zaton, the first map, there are much more special and interesting places on the map, it's where I just have been:

The title screen:

Skadovsk, the bar of Zaton is located inside:

This is something special isn't it? Actually, it's part of a long quest in which you have to investigate why stalkers keep to disappear. The bloodsuckers are in some kind of sleep here, and player has to pass them by in this place and not awake them (noise indicator is back):

"The swamp" anomaly:

Our friend came out for hunt:

NPZ "Krug", the place that leads to the underground with sleeping bloodsuckers and ultimately to "the swamp":

"Pine-Oak" Anomaly, I found a skeleton and PDA nearby which said there was an artifact on the tree, but I couldn't find it with my basic detector:

Concert venue:

Kindergarten:
    Last edited by 242; 4th Oct 2009 at 12:36.

I'm caught, the bloodsuckers now actually catch their prey and SUCK, the sound is proper too:

View:

Cranes:

I'm impressed with quests quality, after SoC (let alone CS) they're a big step ahead.
    Nights are pitchy dark, it's better to sleep in Skadovsk till morning, the monsters are abound at nights. There also are small dungeons on the map, they aren't additional maps, but part of the single map, so no loading.
    Last edited by 242; 4th Oct 2009 at 12:58.

Taking a break
    Damn, that looks pretty awesome. Finally original anomalies, not just areas that hurt you when you step in them in different colors.

Do weapon attachments work? I.E. can you attach the grenade launcher to more than two guns, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    Do weapon attachments work? I.E. can you attach the grenade launcher to more than two guns, etc?
    This I don't know, I haven't found any grenade launcher yet, but a scope I bought attached to my modified AK-74 just fine.

Some more pics from Zaton:

This is "the Noah's Ark", a half-mad stalker and his tame pseudodog live here:

"Noah" and Lessy:

"The circus" anomaly:

"The scar" anomaly:

The bridge:

The road-train, where player has to find container with V-agent to poison bloodsuckers:

The game now has the achievements system, player is awarded with titles for various achievements. I just got the "Detective" title for investigating and solving disappearance of stalkers:

Chimera:

"The Iron Forest":

Poltergeist:
    Last edited by 242; 4th Oct 2009 at 18:13.

I think I'm properly sold now. Some of scenery still looks a bit less polished than SoC but I love the sound of the stuff you have to do; investigation, mythical anomalies, strange characters etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Some of scenery still looks a bit less polished than SoC but I love the sound of the stuff you have to do; investigation, mythical anomalies, strange characters etc.
    Yep, the graphics and architecture definitely ARE less polished than SoC/CS, that's what you notice right away once you start CoP. But the gameplay and atmosphere are definitely better than at least CS, and the quests I've done so far are the best, conversations also are more interesting. Stalkers now collect artifacts, heal injured, ransack killed, some return to the bar at dusk and come away at sunrise. Oh, and the first map (I haven't seen others yet) is huge compared to previous titles, complete with some dungeons - it all runs without any loadings unlike Fallout3 f.e. That's why they had to reduce the details I guess.

PS: And you won't believe it, but it's............... stable.
    Last edited by 242; 5th Oct 2009 at 04:57.

Hellos!

Guys I have a problem

My monitor goes dark and I get no signal when I try to enter the game for the first time.

Where can I change this damn resolution... is set automatically too big (I think) and refresh rate is 92 khz. More than my Nokia 17"" can handle.

I've searched all the folders but I couldn't find any file except resources/configs.db... but it's too big and there's no set height and width for the monitor (just for textures).

Big help needed!

search for the file user.ltx
    use google for any variables you do not know.

Photo report from yesterday's Stalker-Fest in Kiev:

It was quite huge judging by photos.
    Last edited by 242; 5th Oct 2009 at 10:57.

Clearinghouse
    Can't see...

Quote Originally Posted by clearing View Post
    Can't see...
    yes, the site seems down for now.

PS: Works again.
    Last edited by 242; 5th Oct 2009 at 10:56.

Thank you very much mothra.

I think the problem is actually bigger.

I've found the fsgame.ltx as there is no user.ltx in CoP.
    I've set
    vid_mode [WxH]
    for example vid_mode [800x600]

but it crashes the game.

Than right click on the Stalker-COP.exe and there's a magic option there, run in 640x480.
    Badluck though... the refresh rate is automatically set even higher (98.8HZ) and black screen again.
    (Signal - not valid; Cable connected)

My specs are Vista Ultimate x32 and Palit 8800GT.
    I didn't had any problems with any games before.