TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: thief 3 windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Elusive Paladin View Post
    So, does anyone have a simple set of steps to get T3 working on Win7 x64 then? Several people mention it being possible and then crucially omit the key information.
    im gonna be testing T3 on W7 X64 either during the week or ever the weekend, so if I have the same problems your having and be able to fix them I will have an answer for you.

So, uh, any progress with that? I've even resorted to trying Thief 3 on a virtual machine, but that won't work, either.

Once I start the game, I get an error, and it crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by scarykitties View Post
    So, uh, any progress with that? I've even resorted to trying Thief 3 on a virtual machine, but that won't work, either.

Once I start the game, I get an error, and it crashes.
    sorry dude I havent, but as your asking again I will.

have you read all of this thread, I believe its right near the top, something about the location of the documents folder..

Yeah. It took some searching, but I found the right key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows
    You want SaveGamePath, and I changed it to *directoryofThiefDShere*\Saves, but it didn't fix anything. The game still crashes just like before, sad to say.

Quote Originally Posted by scarykitties View Post
    Yeah. It took some searching, but I found the right key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows
    You want SaveGamePath, and I changed it to *directoryofThiefDShere*\Saves, but it didn't fix anything. The game still crashes just like before, sad to say.
    have you run the dual core patch..?

It probably won't work with the Savegames in the ThiefDS folder because of permission problems. Try putting the savegame folder in c:\Users\Public\*somewhere*.

Windows 7 is not the problem.

I'm running Thief 3 on my Windows 7 RTM x64 with no trouble. I think that the problem is when you run the game with a cracked t3.exe file, Thief3 crash.

There's an unprotected t3.exe file that works, they say that the file was released by Ion Storm in the editor pack. I checked the file and it's digitaly signed by Ion Storm and Eidos, so it's not illegal it's use. I also tried the file and Thief3 worked fine.

About the Documents folder issue, it's not true, I ran the game, and then saw the savegames folder created under "Documents" like always.

My sys specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
    XFX Geforce GTX285 with latest drivers
    2GB DDR3 Ram.
    Windows 7 RTM 7600 x64

I also can run Thief2 with DDFIX with no issue but fog.

Cheers.

Thanks, caqo. I'll keep that in mind.

What's this about a dual core fix for DS? I haven't run across that--does anyone have a link?

Personally DS works for me without a multicore patch (running on a quad-core), except very occasionally the physics of the game seem to 'freeze' (I can still move but things stop working), which I figure might be some sort of multicore problem but not all I have to do usually is go to menu and come back.

I'll give the editor t3.exe a try, and if that doesn't help, I'll try re-installing with a new copy I ordered off Amazon (should get it tomorrow).

I just installed the game, then I applied 1.1 patch, and the game runs fine, I played this game on XP till the end and had no issues on a Dual core CPU.

Now I installed it with the same hardware, but in Windows 7 RTM x64, and the game runs ok. The only thing to notice, is that when I did the tutorial mission, The game got partially stuck when I had to lock pick the door... after a while, the lock pick tools appears on screen, and then I got stuck trying to climb the ladder after that door.

I'm going to play the entire game to see if it's buggy.

PD: I also installed the collectors texture packas, that give the game a nice look.

I haven't played it through yet, just glanced briefly in the tutorial mission.

Using the editor's t3.exe, all works well. ALchemy hasn't fixed the EAX as of yet (based on the installed program registry key it wants to base T3 from), but it may work if I point it to t3.exe instead of the installation root registry.

I did run Thief 3 on Windows 7. However I had to use a no-Cp patch (I think from gamecopy world).

I checked this guide. Is fro Vista, but worked well with 7 too.
    http://lungfishopolis.com/2009/02/ge...-run-in-vista/

Hello! I've just clean installed T3+1.1 on a clean install of retail win7, and it is working well. Here are the things to change or watch out for:

Change the compatibility to XP.

On game launch, ctrl-alt-del, and change affinity of both t3.exe & t3main.exe to the same cpu in task manager. This stopped soundloop crashing and other odd behaviours here.

In game options, disable Vsync. This will stop the slow lockpicking/ladder issue.

Don't enable eax, of course.

My system is a dualcore amd, radeon 4870, creative x-fi xtremegamer, all with latest drivers from ati & creative (creative has a onebutton update on their drivers page, use it!). I'm doing all this as administrator, btw, if that matters.

I also migrated my savegames from XP; start a new game in win7 & save, then check where it is putting them; should be under yourusername/public documents or whereever. Just copy the xp savegames to there & overwrite everything.

Just reached The Cradle in time for halloween! Scary!

rms

I'm not sure if this thread is still being watched but I thought I'd mention that T3 is running perfect on my Dual Core W7x64 machine. All I did was the 1.1 patch, SDK and the imagecfg infinity fix (for both T3.exe and T3Main.exe). I didn't even have to change the compatibility settings.

I am getting random crashes in T3Ed and I can't play any maps I create... But otherwise the game is fine.
    Last edited by Fuod; 29th Dec 2009 at 02:16. Reason: My spelling sucks

Mine worked good after the install.

However there is one thing you could try with your install and that's the High resolution texture pack. There was a post earlier about "MyDocuments" link may need to be edited. There's no need for this as it's a game launch issue. You don't need to tweak/set compatibility as I have Windows 7 x64 bit with 8 GB RAM and Pheonon x64 2.6 9750 Quad Core AMD.

The High resolution texture pack was the only way I got it to work correctly as I had the same issue. Also, double check you drivers for Windows 7 as they may have bugs of some sort (have seen this too). If none of this works the first time, re-install and it shoudl work. And when we say uninstall, it's remove all entries in Program Files x86 Thief Deadly Shadows and "Documents\Thief Deadly Shadows.

BEFORE YOU ADD THE HIGH-RES PACK, PLEASE install v1.1 patch.
    Happy New Year and Happy installing.

As an afternote, I had to add the v1.1 patch beforehand as it still wouldn't work.

Since this thread is for Thief 3, I'm still having difficulty finding patches and configuration editing for the Thief 2 config files so they'll run good. It's something to do with the high resolution. I also cannot find a particular file that needs edited either.

http://lungfishopolis.com/2009/02/ge...-run-in-vista/

This is the above site for which it should be done w/o the extra commands.

Aceylone, how did you get the no-cd/dvd patch working? I downloaded that same patch and others; whereas, I had to re-install the T3.exe file back over to get the game to work.

Also, another note... When transferring to different levels, T3 will bounce back to the desktop but the program will eventually go back to the level loading screen and work.

Fudo, where did you find the imagecfg infinity patch/fix. I never heard about that fix and what exactly does it do?

Exact same thing happens to me

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    EVGA 9800GT
    4 GB RAM
    Q6600 Quad Core

I guess everyone has given up on solving this problem

Thief 3 on Windows 7

Installed Thief 3 on Windows 7 64bit and it works fine, even with the cutscences. My version is from the German PC-Action Magazine DVD, it can run without the DVD in the drive. Perhaps the problem lies with the copy protection of the original game.

I managed to get Thief 3 running on windows 7 64 bit by running in in compatibility mode for windows xp sp2 and using admin credentials. I also managed to enable EAX for X-FI by using Creative Alchemy. Without compatibility it wouldn't start. I have the first dvd version of Thief 3.

Specs: Windows 7 64bit fully up to date, Intel Core 2 Quad q9550 2.8 ghz, Nvidia GTX 285 driver 197.13, 4 GB ram, X-Fi XtremeGamer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast