TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 52 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2712172227323742474849505152535455565762677277828792 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 2329

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Mutant chronicles, The crazies.
    I prefer the first movie.
    The second is just another zomboid-wannabe fest.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Nevermind that it's a remake of a George Romero film.

Source Code - the script was a taut thriller and the movie was an odd amalgam of the original concept and new threads (some of which served to give the whole movie a lighter hearted tone), not sure where I stand on the comparison between script to screen but it was an effective enough movie. I'd definitely recommend it. B+

Blow-Up by Antonioni.

For the NNth time, it has been probably my favoutite movie during last 2-3 years.

I spent most of last weekend binging on all 20 episodes of Danish thriller The Killing ( Forbrydelsen). It's quite shocking that I was so late finding out about it.

The twenty hours of subtitles didn't bother me at all. I cared so deeply about the characters after just a short period of time that reading subtitles quickly became a pleasure. I am also in love with the main character but I can tell from the look in her eyes that she will never love me back.

Every episode counts as one day in the investigation. It's slow-moving but never dull and has a rollicking end credit sequence reminiscent of Twin Peaks to help you digest everything.

You'll have to find out yourselves whether it's "up there with The Wire".

Looking forward to the second season once I recover. Only 10 episodes this time though.

Oh, House MD, I wish I could quit you. Hugh Laurie makes it just about watchable, but the writing and characterisation are so goddamn lazy, it hurts.

I'm waiting for the second season of
    Spartacus: Blood and Sand.
    In the mean time I'm watching
    Spartacus: Gods of the Arena.

It happened that Blood and Sand second season shooting was delayed due the leading actor (the one on the role of Spartacus) got sick with cancer, and there was some doubts about his role continuity, but after his cancer returned, there was an obvious need for his replacement (that's why there is the prequel Gods of the arena to make some extra time while shooting the second season) :/, good luck to Whitfield, he will need it.

Re: Source Code. Always a debate what to do about an idea you have that gets made in the mean time. One of my best alt-FPS game ideas was investigating a murder witnessed by the victim through the decaying memories of what remains of his brain... And I even picked up the same mechanic from the IF game Rematch (where the same events are played over and over, but you can pick out different details each time, that help you look for new details next time. My script opens access to scenes all over his life, though; not just the last few minutes.) So now it'd look like a Johnny come lately. But in its defense I think the mechanic really cries out to be interactive & open. But it's an inherently good mechanic for suspense and letting old details emerge in surprising new ways from other perspectives, so I'm not surprised the movie got made.

Still Subjective
    The Hangover 2.

Not a good as the first one.

Shocker.

Injured my shoulder at work the other night, I work over night so i didn't want to go home and startle my wife in the middle of the night, so I sat in my truck for awhile and watched Downfall on my smartphone.

very interesting interpretation of the end of Hitler. Not often do we see things from that side of the war. I had to grit my teeth through the hitler rant sections, and pretend I hadn't seen it a million times before. It was good. I really enjoyed it. Reminded me a lot of older War movies like A Bridge too Far and the like. Lots of exposition. i would recommend to anybody who likes history and doesn't hate subtitles, (or speaks Deutche)

That's a mindblowing film. Totally riveting. You know the bunker stuff was based very closely on the accounts of the Traudl the secretary and the signals guy? Kinda makes it all the more terrifying. It'd be almost unbelievably surreal not knowing that in advance for me I think.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.

Oh God.

Why did they bother? Can't believe it's currently standing at 7.0 on IMDB, because it's terrible. 40 minutes in and I was looking at my watch. It's not funny. It's not compelling. It's not clever.

As with Alien, I'm going to pretend that some of the films in this franchise don't exist. Like the last three

Just saw The Thing again- still the same vaguely cheesy horror film, but I'm really surprised at how well the special effects have held up after thirty-some years, as it's still very visceral and horrifying without any CGI at all. I also just learned that a prequel is coming out in October, so I'm excited for that.

A couple years late, but I just watched Torchwood: Children of Earth. The kind of fucked up and dark that the first two series should have been going for instead of OMG SEX, and GAY SEX that they did.

Just saw one of the most hilariously awful post-apocalyptic movies yet: Mindwarp, starring Bruce Campbell and Angus freakin' Scrimm. How could they go so horribly wrong with those two in the movie? Bad script, bad dialog, bad acting, and it looks like it was shot on the same budget as your average 5th grade school play. It looks like it was shot with sets and props that consisted entirely of salvaged junk from the local county landfill. The production saved a fortune on dialog by only giving lines to five of the actors. Everyone else just grunts and groans while gesturing. It's like an entire cast of Frankenstein's Monsters.

It wasn't intended to be a comedy. I laughed anyway.

Still Subjective
    Limitless.

Enjoyed this. It's got a few interesting themes but I suppose the central theme was what I enjoyed most. I've come to realize that I like stories about being, our trying to be, more than you thought you could be. This, Avatar and Flowers for Algernon fit squarely into the mold.

Super hero films do too, and I think that's why origin stories are popular. Problem with the recent batch is only Batman has been of real quality.

So with that in mind I can recommend Limitless, but at the same time ymmv.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    Mic Macs A Tire Larigot French film about a man and his misfit friends who want to bring down. put out of business, or other wise screw with the presidents of two arms manufacturing companies.

Lots of fun. Comedy, action, and the ever present romance. Enjoyable to the extreme.

is Best Pony
    Ah, I have that sitting on my Sky drive, about time I actually watched it.

Yesterday I finished watching Surrogates again. What started out as a very interesting premise turned into a bland and by-the-numbers action movie at the end; it's a real shame, as by all accounts the comic was a very good and thoughtful exploration of the themes.

Quote Originally Posted by theBlackman View Post
    Mic Macs A Tire Larigot
    Meh. Jeunet has a real vision of aesthetics but the stories he tells and the way he tells them really put me off. I disliked Micmacs, Amelie, Delicatessen and The City of Lost Children to the highest degree. His only movie I somehow enjoyed was Alien Resurrection, and unsuprisingly he didn't write that one (even then, the script was no good anyway).
    But then I liked Resurrection more than Aliens so who am I to criticise.

But this made me in the mood for a french movie tonight
    Think I'll watch Bernie again. Absurd and quirky black comedy, in the vein of C'est arrivé près de chez vous.
    Last edited by Briareos H; 18th Aug 2011 at 06:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    i must be undergoing sleep deprivation madness because i've read this five times and all i can see is BARPO BARPO BARP BARP BARPIPPY BARPO CHUGGING A SEA OF COCK BARP BARP BARP.

is Best Pony
    Hey, Duckeh's headbang thread is thatta way!

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    Meh. Jeunet has a real vision of aesthetics but the stories he tells and the way he tells them really put me off. I disliked Micmacs, Amelie, Delicatessen and The City of Lost Children to the highest degree. His only movie I somehow enjoyed was Alien Resurrection, and unsuprisingly he didn't write that one (even then, the script was no good anyway).

But this made me in the mood for a french movie tonight
    Think I'll watch Bernie again. Absurd and quirky black comedy, in the vein of C'est arrivé près de chez vous.
    It takes all kinds, which is a good thing. I disliked Amelie, Delicatessen and City. But laughed my ass off at the antics in Mic Macs.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    i must be undergoing sleep deprivation madness because i've read this five times and all i can see is BARPO BARPO BARP BARP BARPIPPY BARPO CHUGGING A SEA OF COCK BARP BARP BARP.
    I would say PHILISTINE, if I thought you would understand.

Haha, because I think Alien Resurrection is a waste of film and putting it above Aliens should be a capital crime? Whatever, go forward some more chain emails.

Page 52 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2712172227323742474849505152535455565762677277828792 ... LastLast