TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345671217222732 ... LastLast

Thread: Tafferpatcher: unofficial complete patch for Thief 2

BANNED
    WOW!! This is a good new indeed!!

Kindly do this for DP also! It might get that cursed game run on my PC at last.

This is indeed good news! I could have used it last week.
    BTW, I like the name too. Very descriptive.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Riff View Post
    Of course I have. But it's not always text, sometimes it's a mad combination of chars, hex and decimal symbols, that seems the only way to prevent Inno setup compiler from crash during compiling. It's like you have already reached max polygon and light source count and suddenly decided to change all torches' models.
    Don't those things usually work with string tables, so that the name of the program, and everything else, is only stored once, in the string table, and reused everywhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Don't those things usually work with string tables, so that the name of the program, and everything else, is only stored once, in the string table, and reused everywhere else?
    Those things work as they are programmed . I used string tables only for language-dependent text, and the name of the ini file, backup folder and some temporary files are hard-coded.

Well, DJ Riff, this looks very, very helpfull !!
    Any time that something happens and I have to reinstall the game, I have to check again and again at the forums to be sure I did not forgot some step in order to make it work together with all the goodies this community is providing for the players all these years.
    So, the fewer the steps, the faster you get in Garrett's tap-dancing shoes!
    And what is wrong with sometimes being a little silly with a name?
    Sounds funny and it is a game after all !

I run a 23" monitor off my laptop and move back and forth between it and the laptop screen, so I run DarkWidescreen.bat once, twice a day and actually have a shortcut to it.
    Could you set this up to load different profiles?

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    I run a 23" monitor off my laptop and move back and forth between it and the laptop screen, so I run DarkWidescreen.bat once, twice a day and actually have a shortcut to it.
    You go sit in the edge case corner.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Riff View Post
    Does this patch work only with Si02's ddfix version or it can be installed independently wihout any side-effects?
    Not sure... Why don't you contact Jermi, as he's the one who posted it. though from what I know, I think it just patches the .mis files, but there's also the possibility that it's useless without Si02's DDFIX.

Jeez people, who cares what the name of the bloody thing is? It's the function that matters, not the name!!!

Let the poor guy work and stop nit picking over completely irrelevant issues.

The Architect
    It's not irrelevant when it has an impact on the likelihood of the (vast majority of) non-TTLG-going Thief players using it. If you have no idea what it is and only see a link with its title, one might or might not look at the thing based on the name.

I believe the unofficial System Shock 2 patch had just that issue because of a rather poorly conceived name. "Anomalies, Discrepancies and Outright Bugs." Few outside of the Stange Bedfellows forum discovered it because the title didn't properly explain what it was.

Finally someone is at least trying to do this. Regarding the name, I'd go with something descriptive like "Complete Patch Collection". Or "Essential" if it's not going to be a complete collection.

Even if it's just "Essential", not "Complete", I'd still rate EP as a must-have addition, regardless of the size.

I do wonder how this going to be maintained etc. When DJ Riff's interest in this runs out, will the rest of us have the possibility to continue development, or will we have to start again from scratch? How are the various mods/patches updated? How are new mods included?

My recent mods:
    • Proper Stars (t2stars) - FAM/skyhw/STARS.BIN replacement and mis file patches, no dependencies
    • Proper Moon (t2moon) - mis file patches and ddfix textures, requires ddfix, has adverse effects without ddfix
    • t2fogskies - mis file patches, requires ddfix, may have adverse effects without ddfix

All of the above will soon be obsoleted by t2skies (= t2stars + t2moon + t2fogskies + ddfix clouds + ddfix distant art).

One issue I see with including things like the Thief EP is... what happens if there's an update? Not that I currently have plans for one, but the same applies to other mods that may be more likely to be updated.

One issue I see with including things like the Thief EP is... what happens if there's an update? Not that I currently have plans for one, but the same applies to other mods that may be more likely to be updated.
    Then maybe he could implement a program that checks for, and downloads the latest mod/path versions if possible. An offline version that can updated every once in a while can be uploaded on one of the Thief file sites.

Let's hope Dj Riff uploads the source code. Let's hope he doesn't make the same mistake like LG did when they never thought to release the Dark Engine source.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian The Dog View Post
    This is a good idea, thanks for putting it together! One thing you will need to consider with DDFix is that there are seperate versions of it for x32 and x64 bit OS's, and so you'll need to include both and use a Windows Version check to see which one to apply.
    Not true. The fixed version works for both. The fix only made sure it always runs at 32bit even on a 64bit system.
    The original problem was that .net code will always run according to the cpu architecture if not specifically told otherwise. Since the gui calls 32bit code in the ddfixgui.dll it will crash when it's run as 64bit since you can't mix the two.
    The fix only forced the gui to run at 32 bit for this reason.

Yes, you're right - I just wanted to check the TafferPatcher author knew not to call the generic 32-bit GUI without checking the OS version first. I have DDFix working fine on my XP x64 but I needed to install it manually (a 64-bit GUI for DDFix has been subsequently created though).

That's why I intentionally thought of including only compatibility patches and simple bug fixes to make the game to run and be FM-ready, not eye-candy updates that may be updated soon or may have issues with FMs and other mods.

Quote Originally Posted by jermi View Post
    My recent mods:
    Thanks for clarification about dependencies. And thanks for source code, as I'll have to rewrite most of it in Pascal (yeah, it sounds like heresy, but it's the way it works).

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Then maybe he could implement a program that checks for, and downloads the latest mod/path versions if possible.
    TCP/IP? In MY Patcher? NO WAI!! Seriously though, Inno Setup doesn't provide any Internet functionality, so it'll be the same as running an external update program from EP's folder.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMis View Post
    Not true. The fixed version works for both. The fix only made sure it always runs at 32bit even on a 64bit system.
    The original problem was that .net code will always run according to the cpu architecture if not specifically told otherwise. Since the gui calls 32bit code in the ddfixgui.dll it will crash when it's run as 64bit since you can't mix the two.
    The fix only forced the gui to run at 32 bit for this reason.
    As I stated earlier, I'm not using neither ddfix GUI, nor any .net code, so x64 OS probably won't be a problem.

So you'll use something like Qt or GTK, then?

Either way, this project should be handled correctly. It has taken this long for a patch like this to be made, when the more consumer popular SS2 has had a only-patch-you'll-ever-need patch since forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    So you'll use something like Qt or GTK, then?
    I'm using Inno Setup with script written in Object Pascal. I know it's far unoptimised and clunky but it just works and I'm not a programmer.

Ok, here it is.
    ftp://djriff.homeftp.net/patches/thi...ferPatcher.exe

Not all features are implemented but it looks like a stable version so I'd like to share it for testing.

Currently included:
    — Thief2 installer (full installation only so far). Just specify an empty folder or create one in Browse dialog and follow the instructions.
    — Patch 1.18. Applied only on first install. To re-run this patch (e.g. if you taffed around with dark.gam and need it to be restored), choose COMPLETE uninstall on Tasks page, proceed with uninstall, then start the Patcher again.
    — all general compatibility fixes: dual-core, texture memory, free space error, etc.
    — ddfix beta 1.4.4 with optional fog fix for Vista. Thorough testing needed, is if there be any side-effects even with fog fix turned off, I'll have to include older version of ddfix too. Note that the patch won't turn on the fog automatically, so check the game options if you still have no fog.
    — object fixes: gas / wine arrow, ferns model, gas lamp etc.
    — mission fixes: dialogs in Shipping and Masks, loot location, fog in LoTP. With fixed LoTP mission there's no need to turn on "LoTP fix" in ddfix.ini with all its side-effects.
    Thorough testing needed for object and mission fixes. If there will be no negative side-effects, I consider adding them to Patch 1.18 content to save the package size, install time and have shorter patches list.

currently WIP:
    — Partial install
    — Enhancement Pack
    — Jermi's fixes for fogged missions, moon and stars
    Last edited by DJ Riff; 27th Feb 2010 at 05:37. Reason: some weird word-wrap issue, dunno what's the problem

Did anyone mention the infamous German SAT1 version of TMA? I believe it needs a different patch but I'm not too much into these technical issues. I've tried to catch Sinister Shadow for two days now, maybe he knows more about it.

How are you handling the installation of the official v1.18 patch?

By default, that patch installs .crf files to the root of your Thief installation, which are, of course, overridden by any custom content (which is why you can get white wedges instead of gates in Blackmail if you have an Obj folder, for example).

There are two solutions for this:

a) Move those .crf files to another folder, e.g. \Res\Patch\, and adjust the DarkInst.cfg to include them before the main .crfs (e.g. resname_base .\Res\Patch+.\Res)
    b) Merge the .crfs. Add all the files from the patch .crfs to the main game .crfs.

b) Merge the .crfs. Add all the files from the patch .crfs to the main game .crfs.
    This.

Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    Did anyone mention the infamous German SAT1 version of TMA? I believe it needs a different patch but I'm not too much into these technical issues. I've tried to catch Sinister Shadow for two days now, maybe he knows more about it.
    You tried to catch me? Huh, did not notice anything.

Yeah, there is a special Sat1 patch for the German Thief: The Metal Age edition. I've got this edition and allways used this special patch.

There is an unofficial German TMA translation corrections patch by von.Eins too.

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345671217222732 ... LastLast