TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456781318232833 ... LastLast

Thread: Tafferpatcher: unofficial complete patch for Thief 2

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Riff View Post
    Ok, here it is.
    ftp://djriff.homeftp.net/patches/thi...ferPatcher.exe

Not all features are implemented but it looks like a stable version so I'd like to share it for testing.

Currently included:
    — Thief2 installer (full installation only so far). Just specify an empty folder or create one in Browse dialog and follow the instructions.
    — Patch 1.18. Applied only on first install. To re-run this patch (e.g. if you taffed around with dark.gam and need it to be restored), choose COMPLETE uninstall on Tasks page, proceed with uninstall, then start the Patcher again.
    — all general compatibility fixes: dual-core, texture memory, free space error, etc.
    — ddfix beta 1.4.4 with optional fog fix for Vista. Thorough testing needed, is if there be any side-effects even with fog fix turned off, I'll have to include older version of ddfix too. Note that the patch won't turn on the fog automatically, so check the game options if you still have no fog.
    — object fixes: gas / wine arrow, ferns model, gas lamp etc.
    — mission fixes: dialogs in Shipping and Masks, loot location, fog in LoTP. With fixed LoTP mission there's no need to turn on "LoTP fix" in ddfix.ini with all its side-effects.
    Thorough testing needed for object and mission fixes. If there will be no negative side-effects, I consider adding them to Patch 1.18 content to save the package size, install time and have shorter patches list.

currently WIP:
    — Partial install
    — Enhancement Pack
    — Jermi's fixes for fogged missions, moon and stars
    Thanks very much, this must have been a HUGE bunch of work!

Coincidentally, I have just upgraded my PC to Windows 7, 64-bit, so I'm wondering if your awesome program will do the magic for me. Has this been tested yet, or shall I be the first?

And this reminds me: Do you plan on including this as an option in the patch, DJ? Just for those who wanna try and see if their system will support EAX?

Windows 7 Professional, 64bit

Installed in DX10 compatibility, customised package consisting of all the options offered, except for DromEd and the ATI mesh fix, with codec registration enabled. The game works right off the bat, with videos playing and textures displaying properly.

I'll report anything that I get during play, but this will likely be a while, as I have Heavy Rain and STALKER ongoing. As a general thing, though, this will be my first play through Thief II, so I'll only be able to report things that are obviously not working, not stuff that isn't working as it should but to a newcomer will seem in order (such as missing fog in various places, for instance).

A couple of bug notes:

- Using the Tafferpatcher to install the game will not add it to the installed programs listing, neither in the Windows menu, nor in the Programs And Features listing in the Control Panel. Also, the game can only be started from its own executable, on the HDD, as the autorun on the CD will not detect it as being installed.

- I don't know if this is an issue with the game itself or something resulting from your patcher, but attempting to run the game with no CD whatsoever in the optical drive will result in a cyclical error - first a "No disc in drive" message, followed by a "Please insert game disc", then back to "No disc" and so forth - regardless of the options (Continue, Retry, Cancel) clicked on either message box. The only solution seems to be to kill the thief2 process from the Task Manager. Attempting to start the game with a CD in the drive, but not the correct one, will properly result in a "Please insert game disc" error, which can be quit from with Cancel.

But, anyway, game works superbly and for that you have my thanks! I tried once before to install it on a Windows XP machine, the old fashioned way, without your patcher, and I quickly hit a brick wall that nothing in the FAQ and no one in Legacy Gaming could help me with. Again, thank you, DJ Riff!

P.S. I assume there's no harm in asking - I'm guessing, however, that seeing as your patcher applies the multi-core fix to the .exe, I'm stuck with that annoying CD check and I can't overwrite it with a No-CD one without having to re-apply the fix afterwards, right? Are there any other operations that your patcher performs on the .exe which would have to be done again if it were replaced with a No-CD one?
    Last edited by Ostriig; 28th Feb 2010 at 14:31. Reason: I'd rather preserve the CD.

— ddfix beta 1.4.4 with optional fog fix for Vista. Thorough testing needed, is if there be any side-effects even with fog fix turned off, I'll have to include older version of ddfix too. Note that the patch won't turn on the fog automatically, so check the game options if you still have no fog
    Is the new ddfix backward compatible? I mean I had no fog problems with the old one (1.3.11b) - is it safe to install the new one? I'm using WinXP and a sufficiently old video card.

Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    Is the new ddfix backward compatible? I mean I had no fog problems with the old one (1.3.11b) - is it safe to install the new one? I'm using WinXP and a sufficiently old video card.
    It's not a radical new version, it simply adds better fog rendering to the old DDFIX, so no, your not at any risk by installing it. However, if you already have Thief 2 installed, why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    Did anyone mention the infamous German SAT1 version of TMA? I believe it needs a different patch but I'm not too much into these technical issues.
    What about the Sold Out edition? I believe it also uses a different version of the patch.

Ostriig, you need to edit darkinst.cfg and install.cfg (put ";" in front of the first line, that should do it)

What about the Sold Out edition?
    I tried TafferPatcher with that version, worked like a charm
    The german version I tried had this "english" entry in darkinst.cfg and install.cfg. So I had to change that into "german".
    Last edited by fibanocci; 1st Mar 2010 at 04:28. Reason: One more note

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterShadow View Post
    Yeah, there is a special Sat1 patch for the German Thief: The Metal Age edition. I've got this edition and allways used this special patch.

There is an unofficial German TMA translation corrections patch by von.Eins too.
    I suppose it's not too difficult to implement, I just need language-dependent files from the patch to be added and some taffing around to detect that the source CD is the German version. I'll do some research on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    And this reminds me: Do you plan on including this as an option in the patch, DJ? Just for those who wanna try and see if their system will support EAX?
    So far I tried to avoid modifying anything inside system folders or registry etc. Will that work if I put that DLL into the Thief folder, not Windows'? The problem is that I don't have a rig that actually has problems with EAX in Thief.

Quote Originally Posted by Ostriig View Post
    - Using the Tafferpatcher to install the game will not add it to the installed programs listing, neither in the Windows menu, nor in the Programs And Features listing in the Control Panel. Also, the game can only be started from its own executable, on the HDD, as the autorun on the CD will not detect it as being installed.
    Well, I thought the desktop shortcut (which you can copy/move anywhere you want) is enough. If it isn't, I can add optionally all that registry, Start Menu and uninstall setings, but it still will work only for the last installed copy of the game.

- I don't know if this is an issue with the game itself or something resulting from your patcher, but attempting to run the game with no CD whatsoever in the optical drive will result in a cyclical error - first a "No disc in drive" message, followed by a "Please insert game disc", then back to "No disc" and so forth - regardless of the options (Continue, Retry, Cancel) clicked on either message box. The only solution seems to be to kill the thief2 process from the Task Manager. Attempting to start the game with a CD in the drive, but not the correct one, will properly result in a "Please insert game disc" error, which can be quit from with Cancel.
    It's not a game itself, it's an OS preventing the game to do proper CD check if CD-drive is empty. AFAIR, it can be dealt with by moving the system "Continue-Retry-Cancel" dialog somewhere aside, clicking Cancel on game's dialog, then click Cancel on that system dialog. But I may be wrong and in Win7 this workaround may be "fixed" already. BTW, you can "persuade" the game not to look for CD by adding a semicolon in front of cd_path string in darkinst.cfg.

P.S. I assume there's no harm in asking - I'm guessing, however, that seeing as your patcher applies the multi-core fix to the .exe, I'm stuck with that annoying CD check and I can't overwrite it with a No-CD one without having to re-apply the fix afterwards, right? Are there any other operations that your patcher performs on the .exe which would have to be done again if it were replaced with a No-CD one?
    See above. The .exe file is rewritten from a common template every time you click 'Finish' in Tafferpatcher dialog. It's done that way to solve lots of dependencies between exe-modifying patches. So if you re-run Tafferpatcher without adding / removing anything, it's enough to discard any custom changes made to .exe and to form it according to the current set of patches. That's why there's an option not to apply any changes to dromed.exe — to leave custom Dromed executable as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    It's completely safe as your old ddfix.dll if stored in thief2\tafferpatcher\backup folder. If you have any problems with the new ddfix, simply copy the old one to the thief2 folder. And please report about that, as in that case I should include the old version too.

The reason why I brought the Sat1 thing up is that I wonder – since the patch content should be the same – if it's possible to apply this patch content according to the different game(version)s. If I understood this correctly then you're embedding those things anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    The reason why I brought the Sat1 thing up is that I wonder – since the patch content should be the same – if it's possible to apply this patch content according to the different game(version)s. If I understood this correctly then you're embedding those things anyway.
    The issue is language string during installation and language-dependent files stored in *.crf\german\* during updating to 1.18.

It's completely safe as your old ddfix.dll if stored in thief2\tafferpatcher\backup folder. If you have any problems with the new ddfix, simply copy the old one to the thief2 folder. And please report about that, as in that case I should include the old version too.
    I tried it, and tested the beginning of LotP and Precious Cargo, and there were no problems with the fog.

EDIT: Anyway, the patch itself installed fine. At the beginning it asked if I want to make my Thief2 install into a full install, but I have the dvd re-release version, so I had to choose no. Then it installed stuff, including the 1.18 patch, even though this verison is supposedly already 1.18. But none of these were problems in the end, the game works fine.
    Last edited by Malleus; 1st Mar 2010 at 10:11.

Quote Originally Posted by fibanocci View Post
    Ostriig, you need to edit darkinst.cfg and install.cfg (put ";" in front of the first line, that should do it)
    BTW, you can "persuade" the game not to look for CD by adding a semicolon in front of cd_path string in darkinst.cfg.
    Thanks, both of you, commenting out the cd path in darkinst.cfg solved it!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Riff
    It's not a game itself, it's an OS preventing the game to do proper CD check if CD-drive is empty. AFAIR, it can be dealt with by moving the system "Continue-Retry-Cancel" dialog somewhere aside, clicking Cancel on game's dialog, then click Cancel on that system dialog. But I may be wrong and in Win7 this workaround may be "fixed" already.
    Scratch my previous comment, I no longer get that error. At the time I made my previous post I had installed and run Thief 2 without restarting the computer, and I got that result. Now, though, the game has added itself a shortcut to the W7 Games folder, and running it even with no disk in drive (and copy protection active) will only result in the "insert game disc" message, which reacts properly to OK or Cancel - no more system "no disc in drive" and cyclical error check.

Well, I thought the desktop shortcut (which you can copy/move anywhere you want) is enough. If it isn't, I can add optionally all that registry, Start Menu and uninstall setings, but it still will work only for the last installed copy of the game.
    It's more than enough for me, don't get me wrong. And, like I said, Windows appears to recognise the game in its Games launch folder, though it's still not registered with the programs menu or the Programs and Features listing in Control Panel. The reason I pointed it out is that I imagine that, if you're trying to target average, less technical, users as well, some of them may freak out when they decide to uninstall the game and can't find it, since one of the first things you get taught as a newbie about working with Windows is to not delete applications forcefully, but to uninstall them. Some may not realise that the game doesn't register itself with the Programs listing and is safe to delete manually, then promptly proceed to spam your inbox about it. As for multiple installs, it's probably safe to assume that the average user will only have one.

@ SinisterShadow & Beleg
    Could anyone post here contents of SETUP.LID file, from CD1 of German version? (If there is such file at all)

Sat1 version (just in case it makes a difference):
    Code:
    [Languages]
    key0=0007
    Default=0007
    count=1

So far I tried to avoid modifying anything inside system folders or registry etc. Will that work if I put that DLL into the Thief folder, not Windows'?
    Yes, the instructions actually instruct one to remove the .dll from the system files and put it only in the Thief 2 folder.

Also, read this (Read the second post)! I know your against including a no-cd patch, but this is a bit different because the exploit doesn't require modifying the games code.

EDIT: Oh wait, you've already stated a way to do so. NVM.
    Last edited by Albert; 1st Mar 2010 at 18:36.

BTW, you can "persuade" the game not to look for CD by adding a semicolon in front of cd_path string in darkinst.cfg.
    This should be a default part of the patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    This should be a default part of the patch.
    And this will make the patch to become a no-cd crack.

Trying, thank you!

After failing to do an XP style install on W7, I am going to give it a go with your utility.
    Thank you for the effort,
    BrendaEM

BTW, I was hoping that someone would do this : )

...and as far as the No-CD thing is concerned, AFAIK, T2 is unsupported software, there hasn't been a patch in almost a decade, and a lot of people would like to play T2 on a netbook, with no CD.

Hi your program worked out pretty good for me : )
    Thank You.

The only weirdness was that it wasn't clear to me the first time, what I was making folders for, so I just installed it all under "C:/Program Files (x86)/Thief 2"

Garretloader seems to be working fine.
    I run both as administrator.

Using the Nvidia co0ntrol panel I added a bit of the old Anisotropic and AA.

Thank's again : )

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaEM View Post
    ...AFAIK, T2 is unsupported software, there hasn't been a patch in almost a decade...
    A new collection of all 3 games was released this summer so it's a long way from being "abandonware" (not that this legally even exists).

And this will make the patch to become a no-cd crack.
    Oh come on. Stop dancing around the stupid legal issues. No one wants to wear out the CD by having it spinning around in the drive all day. This is a patch, it should fix all issues, and breaking your Thief disc is a pretty big issue if you ask me.

Also, this, in itself, doesn't disable the copy protection anyway. It just tells the game to look for resources on the CD if it can't find them on the hard disk. Since you're only doing a full install, you don't want to ever look for files on the CD, so it shouldn't be there.

Well, I ran Tafferpatcher.exe on my fresh Win7 64-bit install, and it seems to be working fine! I've played through the first 2 Original missions, and have not had any problems yet. Widescreen at 1920x1020 is VERY NICE!

I made the adjustment to darkinst.cfg, and still get a few popups I have to "Cancel" my way out of, but the game starts up fine afterwards, and this is a very slight annoyance.

I have yet to install Garrettloader and/or Darkloader, so I haven't tried any FMs yet, but I'll be doing that soon.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    A new collection of all 3 games was released this summer so it's a long way from being "abandonware" (not that this legally even exists).
    Reboxing is NOT support.

jtr7
    And abandonware doesn't exist without official word by the property owners saying so.

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456781318232833 ... LastLast