TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891015202530 ... LastLast

Thread: Tafferpatcher: unofficial complete patch for Thief 2

Quote Originally Posted by Fidcal View Post
    I'm reluctant to run the patcher again as it seems to do a complete install and I don't want to break anything now its working. So how do I change the possible screen resolutions? And what are 'legitimate' values? Anything my monitor accepts?
    Once you're running DDFix, you need to follow the instructions for changing the resolution in the DDFix thread - basically, adjust the resolution manually by modifying both ddfix.ini and cam.cfg.
    And if you have the widescreen mod, then you don't need to worry about "legal" resolutions - just use whatever your desktop is set to and it should work.

OK, thanks NV - I'll check that out. Must admit I didn't find out much about the patcher but tried it blindly to see if it fixed my problems and I'm way out of touch with Thief developments.

I have a horrible feeling the gamesaves will never load in this update. In Dark Mod when the code was updated which was regularly then old gamesaves could never be used again.

Mmm... a search finds numerous ddfix threads and none of them look like an 'official' info thread. I'll just take a chance and look at the ini and cfg.

OK, thanks. I got the screen res working but I'm getting slower fps in Kings Story at the start on my fast PC than I do on my old slow one! Very strange.

I'm reluctant to run the patcher again as it seems to do a complete install and I don't want to break anything now its working. So how do I change the possible screen resolutions? And what are 'legitimate' values? Anything my monitor accepts
    There's a long installation process for the first time only. If you don't choose anything additional for the second time, it shouldn't take long and shouldn't modify anything except configuration files and .exe file (which is created every time from the template according to the existing set of patches).

To change game resolution via Patcher:

1. Run the patcher, choose Thief directory
    2. Choose the preset you used before or uncheck everything
    3. If asked if you want to uninstall unchecked components, choose NO.
    4. Set the game resolution when asked.
    5. Click Finish.

If you installed Widescreen, you must use the Patcher to change the resolution, as it needs to be injected directly into the .exe file.

I have a horrible feeling the gamesaves will never load in this update. In Dark Mod when the code was updated which was regularly then old gamesaves could never be used again.
    If you made those saves on the old 1.07 version, they won't work obviously. But if you installed Premier Patch 1.18 at that time, you probably still had old versions of dark.gam and gen.osm files (they're not included in Premier Patch for some weird reason). Backup them, copy the old ones from your CD and see what happens. Consider returning the new ones once you finished the mission as some FMs may not work properly with old ones.

I'm getting slower fps in Kings Story at the start on my fast PC than I do on my old slow one! Very strange.
    Actually, DDFix greatly reduces performance as it is a wrapper. Also there were reports of horrible performance in DX6 games on some modern cards (ATI 3k-4k series AFAIR).

Mmm.. too many things for me to absorb. I'll look at this again tomorrow and start a new install without that DDfix if I can. The only reason I am doing this is to gain performance so if I can't then there is no point in doing it.

With newer and newer hardware and software, the potential for thief to work improperly are great. However, my understanding was that ddfix 1.1.1 performed faster than ddfix 1.2.6/1.2.7 (the later ones i had been using for quite a while) - I believe this is because modern gfx cards are built for dx9, but thief needs dx6/dx7(thief 2). Someone correct me if I am off base on that. The situation may still be the case, so:

Since you are experiencing lag, Fidcal, I would suggest using an older version of ddfix if you can put up with the problems that the old ones have (you would need to use 1.1.1 or lower to have ddfix use dx9.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fidcal View Post
    Not an issue in this situation - ddfix and the widescreen patch replace code in the render path, and do not go anywhere near save game code. The issues with not being able to load saves from previous versions of TDM would have been caused by significant changes to the layout or contents of save games, and either the savegame loader did not have backwards compatibility included (which would be sensible in the context), or it could not.

Actually, DDFix greatly reduces performance as it is a wrapper. Also there were reports of horrible performance in DX6 games on some modern cards (ATI 3k-4k series AFAIR).
    Hmmm. DDFix in ifself shouldn't "greatly" reduce performance. Absolutely not. If anyone has any empirical evidence of this I'd be interested in hearing it (in the DDFix thread).
    Last edited by SiO2; 17th Apr 2010 at 12:14. Reason: Fixed broken quote

Been pre-occupied with other things but thanks for feedback. If I can get this FM to work with and without DDFIX then that might indicate if it is the cause of the slowdown. The slowdown is real enough. I'm getting much slower performance at the same place in this FM on a 1GB gtx280 quad core 8GB RAM than on my old FX5900 with about 128MB and 2GB RAM. I'll start over when I get a chance.

Just wanted to say thanks to DJ Riff......this is going to help a lot of taffers...

Why don't you modify the installer you did to use relative file paths instead of the absolute paths you have (on install.cfg and darkinstcfg)? It would allow a thief installation to be mobile. (in fact after reporting a bug in wine, i'm playing in linux now)

A example of a relative install:
    paulo@AIVAS:~/Desktop/TestFolder$ cat ./darkinst.cfg
    install_path .
    language english
    resname_base .\RES
    load_path .
    script_module_path .
    movie_path .\MOVIES

Also why not a option to install the
    Thief Enhancement Pack
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118999
    ?

BTW i think that DDfix is not working with wine. At least i can't run the gameworld with it installed (not that it runs fast anway - i had to disable some graphical card capabilities).

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousCallersOnly View Post
    Why don't you modify the installer you did to use relative file paths instead of the absolute paths you have (on install.cfg and darkinstcfg)?
    Mainly because T2X installer won't work with relative paths. However, if you change paths in darkinst.cfg manually, the patcher will still work even if some resource patches are already applied.

Also why not a option to install the
    Thief Enhancement Pack
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118999
    ?
    I Will add it in the next version along with Enhanced Sky mod.

BTW i think that DDfix is not working with wine. At least i can't run the gameworld with it installed
    If it's this bug you've reported, seems like it's related to ddfix itself, or wine, or drivers, not the patcher. I suppose you've already checked resolution settings in cam.cfg and ddfix, just in case.

No it's not that (that is fixed now) nor the other bug i reported:
    http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22427

I haven't reported it yet. I'm not sure if i should considering that it would only manifest (only can run) with the workaround of changing offscreenrendering mode to "directbuffer" - that has it's own problems - slooooooowww.

And no i haven't checked the resolution settings - but it seemed to work (otherwise the widescreen resolution option would only show 800x600 on the menu (like it does if i don't install ddfix)).

LF DJ Riff

Hi I've been trying to track down DJ Riff, if you read this or someone who knows him does then could he please contact me on these forums. Its related to the work Riff did on the Thief engine. Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi. your PM box seems disabled. Feel free to enable it and PM me or contact me via email:
    djriff ( at ) front•ru

And just in case there's some misunderstanding: I didn't made any changes to the engine by myself. I just merged several changes made by Timeslip and SiO2 (ddfix), weak-ling (wideascreen), changes made by imagecfg utility etc. into one installer.

hi all
    i played very well with this patch until the level of mansion Truart
    here the game is quite laggy and inside the mansion i got crash and i can't load save games that still crash istantly

Quote Originally Posted by mghZ View Post
    hi all
    i played very well with this patch until the level of mansion Truart
    here the game is quite laggy and inside the mansion i got crash and i can't load save games that still crash istantly
    Please post contents of the file [Your Thief-2 Folder]\Tafferpatcher\Tafferpatcher.ini
    What size are miss9.mis and miss9.osm files?

tafferpatcher.ini:

[COMPONENTS]
    ddfix=installed
    def=installed
    ws=installed
    dromed=installed
    stm=installed
    ssch=installed
    mesh_patch\fixedcopnoko=installed
    obj_patch\fixedferns=installed
    obj_patch\fixedgasarrow=installed
    obj_patch\fixedmecgas=installed
    obj_patch\fixedvinearrow=installed
    miss_patch\miss01fix=installed
    miss_patch\miss02fix=installed
    miss_patch\miss11fix=installed
    miss_patch\miss13fix=installed
    miss_patch\miss15fix=installed
    [SETTINGS]
    width=1440
    height=900
    FOV=100
    miss9.miss: 14,6 MB
    miss9.osm: 110 KB

Evening..

Are there any plans to include T2Skies in Tafferpatcher..?

DJ Riff great work.
    i tested this patch on windows 7 32bit and works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mghZ View Post
    miss9.miss: 14,6 MB
    miss9.osm: 110 KB
    Seems like everything installed fine and the mission files are correct ones. This particular mission doesn't have any unique features such as fog or extreme terrain/object complexity and it isn't affected by any fan-made patches. Weird. Does it behave similar when opened in DromEd?

All I can suggest is to backup mission files (miss9.miss and miss9.osm) and copy them from your CD to see if there will be any difference.
    Also you may want to try and change screen resolution to any standard one (800x600, 1024x768) if your monitor supports it or reduce FOV to 90. To change the resolution, just re-run the patch choosing the same folder, select not to uninstall anything when asked, and enter the new resolution/FOV in the dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    Evening..

Are there any plans to include T2Skies in Tafferpatcher..?

Hopefully the next version will contain it.

What do you do to get Darkloader or Garretloader to play Fam Missions?

I've install tafferpatch which I can play any original misison. But it's been a long time since I can play a FM. I've installed both Garretloader and Darkloader. Does anyone have any sugestions?

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891015202530 ... LastLast