TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318232833 ... LastLast

Thread: Tafferpatcher: unofficial complete patch for Thief 2

You can install thief gold manually, Albert. Can't go into detail here.

I have my thief gold executable set to compatibility of "windows xp service pack 2." Also check Run this program as an administrator (In properties of the exe.)

Ah, nevermind, got home today and the installer started... FINALLY.

Why does it take so long for the damn installer to start?

Ah. Well it's talked about in the FAQ, but I'm not sure why it happens exactly. Something to do with windows I guess.

Well, I've got it all pimped up, now. I think a Tafferpatcher (ugh! Sickening name!) for Thief and Thief gold would be great, though, because it's a bit of a hassle to find the old patches (besides the Thief EP).

Need help with file location. In darkinst.cfg we have these strings:

cd_path
    install_path
    language
    resname_base
    load_path
    script_module_path
    movie_path

So which files' location is determined by each string? So far I know:

resname_base — *.crf, *.zip or unpacked resoures
    language — optional subfolder for *.crf, etc
    movie_path — *.avi, *.srt

What about miss*.mis files? miss*.osm? other *.osm files? saves? config files?

BTW, is there a limitation for a string's length? (not the paths in it, but the string itself)

Or... maybe I sould ask in Editors' Guild about that?

Which version of ddfix was used for tafferpatcher? I suppose it was 1.4xx? Which one exactly?

ddfix version 1.4.4.

After installation, you may replace this ddfix.dll with any other one. Then add the additional options from the new ddfix.ini to the old one if there are any.

BTW, I did the research and figured out the file placement:

Last edited by DJ Riff; 23rd Aug 2010 at 05:58.

Thanks a lot!

The length of the entire path list can't be more than 255 characters.
    Well, that's not good at all. But better to know it now than stumble upon it later.

That's why it's a good thing to use "." and ".." and other relative paths!

Would it be possible to "localize" the next version of the TafferPatcher? If I use the Installer with my german version I always have to change darkinst.cfg and install.cfg before playing because the Tafferpatcher installs english as the default language. This causes Thief 2 to crash so I must manually change "language english" to "language german" in the cfg-files.

Quite possible and easy since I've found a good way to determine the CD's language (SETUP.LID file). Next version will have this feature. Are there any German files that should be installed instead of English ones with the 1.18 patch?

Except for the two files everything works fine.

Finally made another totally fresh attempt to install T2 on Vista using this patcher and it seems to be working OK. Leastways I played the first quarter of the first OM with no hitches and half of one small FM. I don't know what was different from last time apart from I suspected my old CDs and gave them a good wash in warm soapy water. Menus, videos, all working OK. I settled for 1024 x 768.

I copied the install just in case of some future screw up so I can more quickly create a fresh install. I now have quite a few FMs to catch up on. Don't know if I 'll be able to play King's Story but if any problem then at least I doubt it will be the install. If I play it I think I'll start afresh.

Thanks to DJ Riff and others who contributed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidcal View Post
    Finally made another totally fresh attempt to install T2 on Vista using this patcher and it seems to be working OK.
    Me too, with Alpha 0.7.0!

After a few days' play I'm tired of having to keep putting the CD in the drive so I searched back through my own stuff and found a cd with the no-cd crack and my own notes. I see I need to replace two files no problem also replace thief2.exe. Will this conflict with anything the tafferpatch did when installing?

Well, I guess I can try it. I'll back up the three files first. But I'd be grateful if someone could confirm it's safe.

Sorry, not able to search for no cd or no-cd.

Damn! All my gamesaves don't show! What does that mean? I just finished When Still level 1 yesterday, started 2 and saved near the start. None of that shows now but the files are still there. The save path is not listed in those cfg files.

Any ideas anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Fidcal View Post
    After a few days' play I'm tired of having to keep putting the CD in the drive so I searched back through my own stuff and found a cd with the no-cd crack and my own notes. I see I need to replace two files no problem also replace thief2.exe. Will this conflict with anything the tafferpatch did when installing?
    thief2.exe patched via TafferPatcher has no CD protection already. Just replace darkinst.cfg or add a semicolon in the beginning of its first line and it'll be fine.

And yes, replacing thief2.exe will conflict with all installed patches that require changes to .exe file (ddfix, multi-core, widescreen).

Damn! All my gamesaves don't show! What does that mean? <...> None of that shows now but the files are still there
    No idea. Did you try to start thief2.exe directly, not via Darkloader?

No, I'm using Darkloader. Anyway, I've done as you said and now I see the gamesaves again and it works without the cd. Many thanks DJ Riff.

I just wanted to post and say Thank you very much!
    A bit over a year ago, I got a large, wide-screen monitor. Try as I might, I couldn't get everything working and looking right with Thief and my system. I tried everything, but I guess I never got it all set up correctly. I would try and try again now and then, through various computer upgrades, to no avail. New vid card, Win7, I was pulling farther and farther way from my beloved, aging Thief.

So I sighed, sat back, and consoled myself with the eventual release of TDM. I came to this forum less and less, because it felt like salt on the wounds. But I stumbled in one day, and stumbled onto mention of this.

AND IT WORKED.
    Thank you, DJ Riff, and thank you to everyone whose hard work created the components packed into Tafferpatcher.

This works well thanks for taking the time to make it.
    My only criticism was it asked where to install tafferpatcher when it also meant where to install thief2.
    Just a bit confusing there but not a huge deal I can always move it.

Definitely made it a lot easier to install and get it working properly

Yes, I found that confusing too. Plus if you don't realize it's asking for your Thief folder and give it a path to install itself separatley then it complains it can't find Thief.

Just a note of thanks to DJ Riff. After building a new machine and installing Win 7 64 bit, I was frustrated to find that I was unable to get T2 to play. Even after all my usual tweaking, patching ect. TP worked flawlessly, and everything is taffing great! Now I can catch up on all the FM's I missed over the last few months! Thanks again

Thank you DJ Riff! Such a great job you had done!

Thanks, DJ Riff, for all your hard work!

With so many fixes and patches etc. etc. it's hard to keep track of them sometimes...

Question: Which version of DDFix is used in the Tafferpatcher? I believe the latest is Jermi's DDFix 1.5.4., but I could be wrong...

If the Tafferpatcher uses an earlier version of DDFix, will there be an update?

Summer

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318232833 ... LastLast