TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Creative stuff here

http://soundcloud.com/palimdrones/predator

Hey guys I made a track that I think sounds like predator dance music.

memememe

Quote Originally Posted by witherflower View Post
    That was pretty darn good. I was on the edge of my seat all the way through, actually. And the comedy relief was well executed too. Well directed and performed by the actors, especially the lead girl. With better lighting it would truly shine imo. Good work! Would see it again, absolutly.
    Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    that was really good, could have been a little tighter though.
    Ahh you're too kind. It suffers from the same problem as the Phantom Menace actually; all the bits tie together in such a way that it all needs to be there, so when some of it doesn't work very well you're stuck with it. And then you're shooting for continuity.... If everything isn't blocked and timed to perfection things start to get slack. And it's a comedy of sorts too.

I'd be curious to know where the lighting was bad. I mean, I know it's bad in several places it just varies as to where people find it.
    The actors are very good generally. Any fault with their performance can be aimed squarely at me really. Although Rachel doesn't do phone acting very well (which isn't easy) and she's incapable of getting enough rage to yell at Dave/Jeremy properly. She's just too damn nice to the core really. It's a bummer as they're the things that you really see first and it takes the shine off everything else, which was generally great. She actually 'got' the film better than most of the crew.

Anyway I could tell interminable tales about this one (that house was going to be demolished. It was completely empty. It also had more walls, fewer doorways and a smaller bathroom before we got to it. I wonder if you can spot the scenes where it cuts between day and night shoots...

ok finally got around to listening to some recently posted stuff.
    Fingernail - sound quality much better, I felt the song Boston Marriage was a little meandering, lost interest a little. Still totally reminds me of the Smiths, and for some reason the band Pulp.

Frozenman - I like little bits of this, but there isnt enough content, or meat for my tastes, I would like to hear more melodic and riffs, hooks and things like that. Just my opinion, of course.

Polytourist - godamm this is good, very nice crisp, clean production. Are you using a drum machine, cos thats what it sounds like, there are some things you can do to make a drum machine sound a little more organic. What I have listened to gives me a real easyrider John Mayer sort of vibe. Cruisy, with a bit of groove. Great guitar tones, I really like the 2nd track "Breathing Beautifully".
    Is this a solo effort?

also more of you should watch Muzmans short film, no one has posted anything of this quality before (cept for me of course)
    Last edited by PigLick; 16th Jun 2010 at 00:10.

ok finally got around to listening to some recently posted stuff.
    Fingernail - sound quality much better, I felt the song Boston Marriage was a little meandering, lost interest a little. Still totally reminds me of the Smiths, and for some reason the band Pulp.
    Yeah, that in particular is hardly my A-game, just messing around really.

Also you can hear me chewing as much scenery as possible in a cover of Delilah, made famous by Tom Jones. I couldn't tell you what possessed me: http://fingernail1.bandcamp.com/track/delilah

Woah Muzman. I saw that video on the Brains? website. That is fucking odd to run into a fellow Perth filmmaker on TTLG of all places. Were you by any chance at the Empyrean on Wednesday night?

Reason I'm in this thread is I just finished editing my latest showreel:

http://vimeo.com/12723968

Nothing too flashy in there, just my old student films updated to include recent stuff I've shot on my 5D, which is all available light stuff. Ungraded too as post is not finished. Hope to get some funding soon and make a proper film with lights and dollies and shit.

Pity you didnt make it when we met up a few weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey-Lo View Post
    Woah Muzman. I saw that video on the Brains? website. That is fucking odd to run into a fellow Perth filmmaker on TTLG of all places. Were you by any chance at the Empyrean on Wednesday night?
    No, Debbie didn't invite me I've helped with their stuff and everything.
    No, really it's organised on facebook and things so I don't usually hear about it. Stuart was there apparently (although I'm not sure if he meant the last one or some previous).

Anyway, looks cool. Excellent elephant effects there too. Are any of these films floating around?

This thread kick ass. I just checked out Piglick and Fingernail's music and had a blast! Thanks, guys.

OK, here goes. Here's some stuff I've done recently in my home "studio" (read: edge of the couch after wife and daughter are in bed). Some of it's tongue-in-cheek, some's more serious, and some was just for the pure stupid fun of it. All of it is really just me wondering if I can half-way pull it off. My recording equipment's crap, and I'm still figuring out how to use it to best advantage, thus the quite variable recording quality and volume.

Pink Moon (Nick Drake)

No Idea--about an old friend

Fireflies--for my daughter who likes to watch the fireflies outside the window

Original G--my first foray into open G tuning, live without a metronome (eeesh)

Obscured By Clouds (Pink Floyd)--stupid fun category

Cheshire Grin--about working with assholes. NO IDEA why it came out so bassy.

One Of These Days (Pink Floyd)--more in the stupid fun category. Acid-rock original meets 80's pop and Kool and the Gang at a twink-fest gay bar...

Al Cumplir Los Cinco--for my son on his birthday. Fucking new strings.

Over The Hill--a fateful trip to Santa Cruz

Spare Tape And Extra Time--started as an exercise in making standard tuning sound like open tuning, but turned into an extended 10-minute Comfortably Numb-esque vomit fest. Ended up throwing in everything but the kitchen sink. Useful to me as an occasional soundbed for internet browsing, but it sure was fun.
    Last edited by Sombras; 25th Jun 2010 at 06:34.

some of those links dont work my man. The ones that do I like though, nice smoky low key vocals. Man I need to get some better mics cos my guitar tones that I am recording are shit at the moment, unlike yours.

some of those links dont work my man.
    Huh, no clue what happened to those links, but they're working now after cutting-and-pasting the very same URLs.

Thanks for listening, man. I had to resort to "cheating" a little with the acoustic. I couldn't get stable volumes with just the cheap recorder mics, so I ended up installing a K&K pickup with an in-guitar mic through a K&K preamp straight into the board. That helped a lot.

Yeah some of them just sit there and spin. Maybe Box is anti Perth. Who knows.
    Cheshire Cat is really rather nice. You've probably heard this a million times but get a drummer and

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Yeah some of them just sit there and spin. Maybe Box is anti Perth. Who knows.
    Weird weird weird. They open perfectly for me on both Firefox and IE7 (work).

Cheshire Cat is really rather nice. You've probably heard this a million times but get a drummer and
    Ha! No, I hadn't heard that, but I know that I should have. I hate my drum machine. Don't get me wrong--it's a good machine, but we just don't get along. You never know how hard good purcussion is to product until you have to make your own.

No, Debbie didn't invite me I've helped with their stuff and everything.
    No, really it's organised on facebook and things so I don't usually hear about it. Stuart was there apparently (although I'm not sure if he meant the last one or some previous).

Anyway, looks cool. Excellent elephant effects there too. Are any of these films floating around?
    No, none are publicly available on the net (unfortunately), other than the music video I directed while at uni. Got put up on rage a couple of times.

Hooray, the opus is done. Not mine exactly, but some large involvement on my part I think I can say.
    It looks like youtube has screwed the aspect ratio a bit, so maybe I should wait til it gets uploaded again. But whatever.
    Also the footage might a be a little dark and DVD mix it has might be a little quiet, so amplify and black background if you're so inclined.

I promise it won't change your life, but it's amusingly flashy for a lo/no-budget effort.

Revel in the exploitation delights of Blind
    Muzzie, that was COOL! I'm not an action-movie fan and I watched the whole thing and loved it. The '69 Charger was a very nice touch! (Amazing how much they resemble cheap Fords when they crash, though.) I also liked the use of flashbacks. I hope you keep us informed when new stuff comes out.

Knows his stuff
    Yeah, Blind kicked ass. Muzman, you know what program you guys used for all the particle effects? The muzzleflashes and bloodmists I mean.

Would be very fun to see a making-of feature on this one. A lot of it looked very professional for a low-budget production.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombras View Post
    Muzzie, that was COOL! I'm not an action-movie fan and I watched the whole thing and loved it. The '69 Charger was a very nice touch! (Amazing how much they resemble cheap Fords when they crash, though.) I also liked the use of flashbacks. I hope you keep us informed when new stuff comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Yeah, Blind kicked ass. Muzman, you know what program you guys used for all the particle effects? The muzzleflashes and bloodmists I mean.

Would be very fun to see a making-of feature on this one. A lot of it looked very professional for a low-budget production.
    Thanks fellas. I'll pass on the praises. The car thing: Hah! That's the first time someone's mentioned that. I've been thinking "We can't have gotten away with that, can we?"

The effects are stocks you can buy or pick up from demos around the place. As far as I know they are all live elements; muzzle flashes, exploding blood bags and impacts shot over black screen etc. Some of them might be particles (probably the blood and some impacts if anything, I'd have to check). The fire we did ourselves (some at least).

(people should watch the other one more dammit. I know it's somewhat less digestable, but reactions intrigue me. Yes, suffer through my long winded nonense for my entertainment/enlightenment).
    Last edited by Muzman; 7th Jul 2010 at 16:46.

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    Super job. I have DLd both and blended them into a single film. I'm impressed. Keep it up and one of these days we'll see your Feature on the big screen.

Our completed EP is now up on our bandcamp site. It includes new recordings that I haven't posted here, and we've tweaked the old ones to hopefully sound better. Right now it costs $5 to download (gotta make the people at our shows feel like their download cards are worth something) but as soon as I can find some free wifi I'll upload it to rapidshare and post the link here for everyone. Because I love you all.

Meantime, you can listen at the usual place:

http://ghostcousin.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    Our completed EP is now up on our bandcamp site. It includes new recordings that I haven't posted here, and we've tweaked the old ones to hopefully sound better. Right now it costs $5 to download (gotta make the people at our shows feel like their download cards are worth something) but as soon as I can find some free wifi I'll upload it to rapidshare and post the link here for everyone. Because I love you all.

Meantime, you can listen at the usual place:

http://ghostcousin.bandcamp.com
    I really like the sound you got on "Otter"! I'm hoping to be able to achieve that "lush" sound with my sketchy set up. Your songs here are going to inspire me to do better. Thanks!

Chakat sex pillow
    Awesomeness, Ayj! Haven't listened to everything yet, but I will be! Otter's got a very Fleet Foxes vibe going on there at the beginning, love the vocal harmonies and interplay (and a chord sequence inspired by Norwegian Wood at 1:57 and thereabouts? ). Flaming otters! Heh.

And Sombras, I don't know how you could describe your setup as sketchy when it's got a beautiful, rich guitar sound to it along with the vocals, arguably the most important parts in the music you've shared so far.

Thanks guys. Fleet Foxes is definitely a bit of an influence; don't own Rubber Soul, though.

As promised, here's the EP in full, no charge:

Landscape of Animals

Preview here: http://ghostcousin.bandcamp.com/albu...ape-of-animals

I really enjoy tinkering with 3D, but I kind of feel that I've reached a plateau as far as lighting goes. That's the most difficult thing for me. I feel like I'm so close to getting it right...but it's still "off." I haven't touched Maya in about 6 months, but I last created this scene.

Some photos and a bit of video from my recent trip to NZ.

haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owdUwHDFEx8

Watch it before it gets flagged

edit- Too late (Stu just never learns about boobs)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bkzbMktJ1I
    Last edited by Muzman; 7th Jan 2011 at 06:06.

ok not bad, but some serious criticisms here...1: no zombies I mean wtf?!
    2: see no 1