TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tested some mods (S.t.a.l.k.e.r SOC)

Tested some mods (S.t.a.l.k.e.r SOC)

I get the feeling some people are annoyed by my threads and don't really like me. Most people who post replies on my threads are usually sarcastic or just straight darned nasty.
    Anyways this doesn't really bother me i just thought I should share it.

On to the goody part! These are the mods I downloaded and also just a short note on each and what I though of them, also please take note I haven't yet played any of them through but have tried to test everything in each mod.

First off is some small mods that I think just generally 'up' the gameplay, graphics and user interface:

UI Hud Overhaul v1.4 - This is a pretty decent mod self explanatory. The whole look of you inventory is better and most interactions are 'smoother'

RepairMod v2.5 - This mod works quite well and they even did a decent job at making the conversations more english friendly. Haven't found any problems with it.

Stalker forever water shader v1.0 - This is really just there to make the water shaders in SOC the same as those in COP.

Triggerhappy v0.3 - Very early version of the mod but it looks pretty nice so far. I like the smoke effects and how the grenade launchers now leave a trail of smoke behind. Not really realistic but it looks nice!

Float 32 v2.0 - This was the installer version which just installed all everything automatically and made it easier for me, it installed without nay errors and I saw a difference in game which made the game look more 'up to date'

So that is it for the smaller mods now on to the bigger mods:

Priboy Story v1.1 - Now I'm not sure if this is the latest version but Moddb.com says it is. This is a pretty decent mod with a interesting story that gives you more than enough freedom. After the first mission you can basically do what you want. The best part of this mod is the guns for me! You get some seriously awesome guns which don't actually feature in other FPS games. The main menu looks pretty cool and I like the music! Also the movies have been reworked nicely! They brought in all the removed monsters and these are cool too, they fit in nicely without anything been looking amateurishly. Also the vehicles been drivable is nice!

STALKER Complete 2009 v.1.4.3 - Now this was a real pleasure to download and try! The first thing you notice is the main menu which looks really professional. Then as soon as you enter the game and start a new game you notice the graphics! Very very nicely done! And the thing I noticed later on was the AI, I really think this is the best AI I have seen in a very long time! They run and attack, defend, hide and they throw grenades at eachother and you! Everytime a grenade is thrown it shows up on the map so you know when to RUN! And the mutants are so cool, they are stronger especially the blinds!
    So far I haven't noticed any new guns or feautures, except for the sleeping bag and being able to pick up barrels and such.
    PLEASE NOTE - I've only played until garbage on this mod so there are things I haven't noticed! (duh)

Now the mod that suits me would be one that includes a mountain full of features! That is why I am busy downloading SMP 2.4 (Super mod pack) to test it out because in the preview clips it looks really nice!
    Also like I said in a earlier thread I am still looking forward to Lost Alpha which will be my S.t.a.l.k.e.r SOC highlight for 2010!

If you guys want links to downloads or have questions I will be on daily to check! I can also upload some in game screens if you want to see certain things! Also if you can think of some other mods you want me to test and are too afraid to download first let me know and I'll see what i can do!

i didn't see any hostility, then again, I don't know what post you refer to.
    regarding your current post it could be considered unnecessary since all you posted has been discussed many times on this forum and above mods are in no way unknown, quite the contrary. But I appreciate your will to share the information, it's just that everybody can find it through google or the other excellent stalker mod sites like gsc, filefront etc....or even on this forum if he/she would take the time to search before posting. anyways, thanks for sharing.

Knows his stuff
    Yeah, on my recent, first run through Stalker I installed Complete Mod 2009 right away so I don't even know what it's like without it. I'm a bit disappointed with Stalker overall though. It was the first game on my "to play" list after I got a new computer. And, I don't know, it just started being less and less fun the closer I got to the center of the Zone. The final rush towards the sarcophagus was so difficult I gave up after dying a bunch of times.

I think I was expecting this game to be FO3, except in Chernobyl. But it was more FarCry2-ish. Without the shooting being as much fun as that in FC2, and the gameworld not being as compelling as that in FO3. There are plenty of things to like about Stalker, like sneaking around enemy territory in pitchblack darkness, or the ambiance of the old buildings. But it's too inconsistent to be an enjoyable gaming experience all the way though. I will still play Priboy Story one of these days though.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    gameworld not being as compelling as that in FO3
    Get the pitchforks and torches y'all

Dunno if Complete is a good first time mod tho. It has some neat building textures, but changes the lighting to something way too brown and gloomy, combined with the darkened earth and grass textures its like bein in a cave all time. Vanilla was too grey and rainy maybe but Complete is too brown/dark greenish and gloomy. Also iirc it gives Strelok Crysis suit gloves? Never liked it much. ><

what has fo3 to do with STALKER ?

where do the comparisons come from apart from both being buggy engines with the major exception that one is a small ukranian developer and the other one is shitting dollars for breakfast and can't even hire a decent coder or even level designer.
    Everything STALKER lacks in polish and professionalismn gets swept away by their sheer talent.
    And difficult ? you are sure you are playing STALKER the game where you are a ammosponge ?
    with a realistic weapon mod it should be even easier unless you can't aim or play this game like FarCry2.

Quote Originally Posted by GRRRR View Post
    Dunno if Complete is a good first time mod tho.
    Oh, dunno dude, it worked pretty fucking sweet for me. The shiny eyecandy was a nice cherry on top of a game I loved to bits. And if it made it any gloomier, all the better for me, I loved the gloom.
    Also iirc it gives Strelok Crysis suit gloves? Never liked it much. ><
    Haven't played Crysis, what do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    where do the comparisons come from
    Pseudo post-apoc setting, one's an open-world potentially first-person action/RPG, the other's an FPS with large, open maps, and a couple of RPG basics in the mix. Gets people in the mindset, I guess.

Knows his stuff
    What I mean by the gameworld not being compelling is partly that there isn't much to do in it, but mostly that the characters aren't interesting. It looked great and all the dudes sitting around the campfire playing guitar and conversating in Russian was atmospheric as hell, but... who the hell are these people? There's not an interesting personality or a captivating backstory between them(ok, except for Ghost). And your interactions with them seem to be meaningless. Like when you meet up with Wolf later on in the game the dude gives no indication that he knows you or that you've met before. I was like "hey! it's WOLF!" and he was like "Hello." and I was "... Hello? Is that all you have to say to me? After all this time? MAN?"

FO3, on the other hand, I gladly mucked around in for close to a hundred hours just exploring and meeting new people while putting the storymissions on hold. Stalker I started to just hope would be over and done with by the end, so I could at least say that I had played it.

both being buggy engines
    What bugs did the FO3 engine have?

And difficult ?
    The rush towards the sarcophagus while the timer is counting down and the helicopters can kill you with one rocket and you get swarmed from the front and the back by badguys. Maybe I just quicksaved at a bad point but I had hell with that section. The clock ticking out also means that I can't take my time and play it stealthily like I had most of the game leading up to that point so I'm forced to run and gun. Which doesn't fucking work. Perhaps the fact that my armor was tattered shreds by that point also worked against me but what am I gonna do about that? Go back to the bar and have it repaired? NO TIME DUDE. YOU HEARD THE MAN. YOU NEED TO GET TO THAT SARCOPHAGUS RIGHT NOW BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES. AAAAAGH I CANT EVEN REMEMBER WHY I WANNA GET TO THE SARCOPHAGUS IN THE FIRST PLACE

i never saw any connection. stalker plays in a small hermetically sealed zone, the rest of the world is intact and ppl are there by choice. fallout is the whole earth and was a full blooded rpg, fo3 put the fps view ontop and failed, didn't have any bulletmechanics and was more concerned with sidequests than its main storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    The rush towards the sarcophagus while the timer is counting down and the helicopters can kill you with one rocket and you get swarmed from the front and the back by badguys. Maybe I just quicksaved at a bad point but I had hell with that section. The clock ticking out also means that I can't take my time and play it stealthily like I had most of the game leading up to that point so I'm forced to run and gun. Which doesn't fucking work. Perhaps the fact that my armor was tattered shreds by that point also worked against me but what am I gonna do about that? Go back to the bar and have it repaired? NO TIME DUDE. YOU HEARD THE MAN. YOU NEED TO GET TO THAT SARCOPHAGUS RIGHT NOW BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES. AAAAAGH I CANT EVEN REMEMBER WHY I WANNA GET TO THE SARCOPHAGUS IN THE FIRST PLACE
    I'll do this bit first.
    It's easy to miss but the reason you're running with a time limit at that point is there's a huge blowout coming. If you're not inside when it hits you and everyone else is dead.
    I would agree that with regular blowouts removed from the vanilla version of the game and points of no return not well advertised, the point about what's happening here is lost and they're screwing good things about the game.

What I mean by the gameworld not being compelling is partly that there isn't much to do in it, but mostly that the characters aren't interesting. It looked great and all the dudes sitting around the campfire playing guitar and conversating in Russian was atmospheric as hell, but... who the hell are these people? There's not an interesting personality or a captivating backstory between them(ok, except for Ghost). And your interactions with them seem to be meaningless. Like when you meet up with Wolf later on in the game the dude gives no indication that he knows you or that you've met before. I was like "hey! it's WOLF!" and he was like "Hello." and I was "... Hello? Is that all you have to say to me? After all this time? MAN?"
    I know what you mean, but it still worked for me. I took it as a cruelly anonymous place where life is cheap and people who last long enough to get a rep are rare (like Sid and Barkeep). You're like a visitor in a foreign land. You're alone even in company. But this is more by accident than design, plus I'm imposing certain things on it. The makers certainly seem to be trying to make specific characters and want you to relate to them.
    All the same, as much as it looks like Obliviion with guns in many regards, it's really not. I wasn't really expecting a sort of Bethesda experience out of it so it didn't bug me.

Have you tried Call of Pripyat? That's very much more like what you want. The characters and so on are much more reactive and persistent; descisions have permanent consequences etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    I'll do this bit first.
    It's easy to miss but the reason you're running with a time limit at that point is there's a huge blowout coming. If you're not inside when it hits you and everyone else is dead.
    I got oddly lucky with a minor spoiler on that one - I ran over a post of Bjossi's, as I recall, suggesting the tactic of letting the military run ahead and clean out the Monolith, so I ended up taking a long roundabout approach. When they shouted over the comms that a blowout was coming I was skulking in relative silence and caught it clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ostriig View Post
    Haven't played Crysis, what do you mean?

Crysis

Stalker with Crysis gloves

Couldnt find pictures with exoskeleton armor gloves, looks even more alike in my book. This is just to answer Ostriigs question, bugged me alot but im aware its prolly a hugely opinionated nitpick.

Knows his stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Have you tried Call of Pripyat? That's very much more like what you want.
    Thanks for the heads up. I will defenitely play CoP, eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by GRRRR View Post
    Crysis

Stalker with Crysis gloves

Couldnt find pictures with exoskeleton armor gloves, looks even more alike in my book. This is just to answer Ostriigs question, bugged me alot but im aware its prolly a hugely opinionated nitpick.
    Ah, okay, I can see what you mean. Like I said, haven't played Crysis, so that wouldn't click with me. I do like the dark gloves better than the vanilla hands, personally.

Well now I never saw Stalker complete as a brownish game. But now that you said it I will take a look at it again.
    The gloves are actually annoying being so crysis like! I couldn't agree more! Good eye there Ostriig!

Okay guys so I hated Farcry2, been trying to play it and everytime after 5 minutes I get bored. The guns are nice with their jamming and textures showing the condition of the weapon. But the rest of the mechanics weren't for me.

Fallout 3 was fun, but again it was boring for me. I love these small companies who still rely on people who have ambition and try new things. Stalker made waves with me and some friends like no other game. I just bought Stalker - COP and will play it as soon as I get it. Also metro 2033!

Last note,
    I downloaded the other mod I said I would. It was almost 2 gig in size so this attracted me just to see what a mod of this size was able to do. The mod is Super Mod Pack 2.4 (2.5 is on the way if you interested)
    Now this mod made me excited as hell, new game mechanics maybe? Or some other new mixes into the game. After it installed itself and I applied the 20 patches, yes that's right it had 20 patches that fixed 'small' errors in the mod, I started the game and thought "Nice!".
    So the menu of this mod is something to notice it very unique and has a nice touch to it but the buttons and menu itself looks very amateurish. (You'll understand what I mean if you see it yourself) So I start a new game, and after about 6min of loading (which is pretty damned long) the game starts. And holy cow did it lag! My computer isn't very fast but it runs certain games like Crysis fine at about 40fps. So why does this mod make my PC so slow? There is hundreds of new strings it keeps loading as you move along in the game so I would recommend at least 3gigs of internet, 4gigs for a solid stable play.

I never played the mod for very long. It had a bunch of very unnecessary guns. Old WWII stuff. WHY? But there were some nice features like the breathing effects which is pretty awesome! And the UI overhaul wasn't too bad. The games became a lot harder also, which is always fun just to try to survive longer. But I guess if you play this mod and you get to say Military warehouses it should become pretty interesting and fun. So go ahead and try it if you want some mod which tries to change everything in the game radically and create a new game.

LAST NOTE:
    I've been playing Priboi story a bit more and testing it. The gameplay is a lot of fun and I'll say it again: The new weapons are unique and very nice! (Assault shotgun!!!) There are hundreds of unique powerful weapons hidden everywhere and the whole game is starting to look like one massive egg hunt to me. You search for these document usually about 3 hidden on each map. Also if you start running around with say a Groza OC14 you become a killing machine! So I like the mod a lot! More than Complete so far. But I recommend complete to people who are still new to stalker.
    Also you get a new map in this mod! That's all I have to say about that.

Anyone want to see some shots or want to know something else? Just reply and I will try my best!

Thanks guys.

I'm playing priboi story too. It's quite nice but I'm used to the Oblivion Lost mod, where the mutants are much more dangerous and interesting. Priboi has unfortunately weaked them quite a bit, but I still poo myself a little when I see a controller. You should definitely try OL, it's the old story but with different AI etc. It has the new guns btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenkahubu View Post
    I'm playing priboi story too. It's quite nice but I'm used to the Oblivion Lost mod, where the mutants are much more dangerous and interesting. Priboi has unfortunately weaked them quite a bit, but I still poo myself a little when I see a controller. You should definitely try OL, it's the old story but with different AI etc. It has the new guns btw.
    Yeah I've read about it quite a bit unfortunately I only got decent internet recently. Africa is known for taking its time with everything.

Some updates since the last time I was on:
    Played Metro 2033 and enjoyed it. But it was sort of choppy in a way. I enjoyed the feeling of loneliness you get even when you are at some station. You always feel like a outsider. Graphics is just wow and it has S.T.A.L.K.E.R written all over it in my opinion. So a good game.

Also I finished COP in a way. I was sort of let down by this one. It was much better then Clear skies and game play features, like the revised hud and inventory was refreshing and made it so much more user friendly. I loved the maps, even though there was only 3, they were big and had almost every building open and explorable. Except for Prypiat. The guns they seemed to have changed again. No new weapons except for the Striker? Or whatever it's called. And then a couple of unique weapons. Some missions were really interesting and they are going in the right path again with this one. But again I feel they just missed the target. It's hard to do with a game like this and with so many people backing the classic SOC. They deserve credit for trying and really making it interesting. I have to say I hated the 'open' stashes though.

Now I have been following Lost Alpha with lots of interest and it's making me more and more excited! They said they might have it ready by December. Which sounds cool to me. I'm sure it'll refresh the modding community for SOC... Who knows? Any opinions on this, if you could add more weapons and other features to Lost Alpha would you?

It looks like this forum is dying a slow death. I mean the whole forum webpage and I am sad about this. I've always enjoyed following the threads and reading everyone's opinion. Please tell me I'm wrong here...

You're wrong - there are plenty of people here who enjoy talking about STALKER incessantly, and the rest of the subforums are far busier than this one. Have you looked at the other threads? There's a thread on Call of Pripyat and Metro 2033, too.

I am a massive STALKER fan but I have only played SoC twice, both times Vanilla (I tried it with complete once but didn't enjoy the decreased difficulty), so a question for you, Axon1988 - what is the best "total conversion" mod? Oblivion Lost? Priboy? Or is there something else big I am missing? Is Lost Alpha something to do with OL?

edit: I recommend this mod if you ever play CoP again:

http://stalker.filefront.com/file/SADIST;111143

From the readme:

Code:
    ------------------------
    S.A.D.I.S.T. by SirDan3k
    ------------------------

S.A.D.I.S.T. is based on three simple ideas: Difficulty through arbitrary non-gunplay changes, the zone is a bitch and I hate you.

------------------------
    Installation instructions
    ------------------------
    If this is your first mod A: You're crazy B: Go to your Stalker: CoP main folder and open fsgame.ltx. Change the line that reads
    "$game_data$ = false| true| $fs_root$| gamedata"
    to read
    "$game_data$ = true| true| $fs_root$| gamedata"

Then extract the gamedata folder into the same folder.

Start a new game on Master, you are here for the pain right?

--------------
    Change Log 0.4
    --------------

- Now requires starting a new game.

- Ammo- Prices readjusted. Traders pay less for ammo. Bullets are now dropped in minuscule numbers or not at all. Ammo boxes contain 12 rounds on average. Explanation provided for ammo rarity because nerds like me had a hard time understanding why ammo would be so rare. Read the description.

- Grenades- aren't a locust plague.

- Supplies - Bandages, medkits and coagulant drop again but at lotto odds. All meds cost more. Food is more expensive and more rare.

- Tools- You can now buy the calibration tools from someone semi-logical after they are your broseph. Fixed a typo that made the tools cost only 30,000.

- Armor - Exo-suit is toned down to next lower armor�s impact and armor resistance. It�s still got better everything else and lets you carry more so I don�t consider it �nerfing�. Upgrades cost more across the board.

- Weapons -Upgrades cost more across the board. Traders pay less for them. So just drop anything you don�t want to use on the ground after stripping the ammo out of it.

- Artifacts - Are all traded for less. Beard�s special requests still pay the same.

---------
    0.4 Fixes
    ---------

- Fixed a mixed up ltx that had Beard paying normal prices for everything.

True S.A.D.I.S.T. 0.2 configs included.

****IMPORTANT****
    Joke artifact descriptions caused game crashes due to slopy formatting. Joke not funny enough to warrant the effort of fixing. If re-intalling delete gamedataconfigstextengst_items_artefacts.xml file.
    ****IMPORTANT****
    -------------------------
    Installation Instructions:
    -------------------------
    Install S.A.D.I.S.T.

Then copy the gamedata from the True S.A.D.I.S.T. directory and let it overwrite.

-Ammo- The new requirements for ammo have reduced suppliers to one cancer ridden guy in a basement with a second hand reloader, a ballpen hammer and a pile of artifacts. It doesn't get dropped, it doesn't get sold you get the ammo you strip out of the other guys weapon and that is it.

-Supplies- A crack down on medical supply theft has stripped the zone of nearly all supplies. No bandages, medkits or coagulant drop. You have to buy them, find them or get them rewarded to you.

-Artifacts- Until Beard gets a request for one of those radioactive pet rocks they are treated as just that, radioactive pet rocks. Nobody wants to buy your stupid pet rock okay?

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Axon1988 View Post
    It looks like this forum is dying a slow death. I mean the whole forum webpage and I am sad about this. I've always enjoyed following the threads and reading everyone's opinion. Please tell me I'm wrong here...
    You're wrong. Here.

spoiler:
    That's a lie, you're right of course. Even GGaming is a shadow of its former self.

And yes, SADIST will be a must for me once I'll be replaying CoP, which I plan to do when Complete is released. I bet the mods will be incompatible with each other.

Yeah SADIST looks interesting, definitely for hardcore fans! These kinds of mods make sneaking around so much more fun.

Vernon, koki both you guys are quite big S.T.A.L.K.E.R fans, and I hope I am wrong too. Could you guys maybe link me some nice other forums where I can also check on the game?

Well there's so many mods out there, I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a mod. Take Prypiat story for instance, it adds a new storyline, more weapons and tweaks almost everything in the game. So it makes the game easier yeah, but it adds lots of new content. So it's a new experience in a familiar world.

Oblivion Lost and Alpha lost have nothing in common. As far as I know OL is quite old and well known. I heard it makes the game quite hard and also adds lots of content.
    Here's a download link and some more info on OL 2.2: http://www.gameupdates.org/details.php?id=2810

Alpha Lost is also trying to get the game back to how they planned it when it was still in alpha stage. When the game had over 13 maps to play in and you could drive vehicles and when the lights were still destroyable (small thing to some people but it adds a interesting twist to gameplay for me) They are creating a brand new story also, and all the maps are being redone. This is the mod I am looking forward to. The one I want to play. It really does look awesome!
    Here is some more info: http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha

Otherwise, Complete is awesome but if you don't like it then maybe try out Lurk? It has some huge graphical tweaks. But if you want to check out a whole bunch of mods go ahead and look here: http://www.moddb.com/games/stalker/mods

Thanks. I'll probably try Oblivion Lost on my next replay. Have you tried browsing the GSC forum? TTLG just has a Stalker forum because a number of people here like it. If you want to talk to dyed-in-the-wool Stalker fans, then the GSC forum would be a better place to visit I guess

I've thought about it but just never get round to it. Let me know what you think of oblivion lost and maybe I'll give it a try too.

On a side note the newest large mod for Call of Prypiat I could find quickly seems to be: AtmosFear 2

It really looks interesting and the blowouts looks amazing! Mostly a skybox mod and then they also up the graphics, due to my super quick pc I won't be able to try the higher resolution textures though.

i never leave home without atmosfear, has become a obligatory mod for me, most "all-in-one" mods incorporate it. the COP blowout is beautiful.

Yeah those pics look so amazing, I have a question, those red 'effects' do the actually move around or is it just like a picture?

the background is more or less static, only moves a little (percspective I think) when you change maps but the way clouds move or appear, the low mist in the morning and especially the blowouts are all exeptional. and oc the nightsky. needs lots of RAM in HD and if you have other texture/high res mods installed.

Yeah that's why I cant play it with that mod. I still have a core2duo. I'm happy with my old bucket of bolts, keeps me gaming and can still handle all my designs.

On another note, Lost Alpha just released the September calender of theirs. It's quite an amazing screenshot taken in dx8 rendering. I really can't wait for them to release the mod.