TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STALKER TV series

Taking a break
    Oh look what you're done. My brain is full of fuck now.

Oh for fuck's sake...

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!

I wonder if any from our Eastern Bureau feel like giving a better translation than those subtitles. Particularly the bit where the soldier is talking to the (guys who look like) prisoners. The subs there make no sense at all.

RPS have published a small interview with GSC's Oleg Yavorsky about this TV attempt. Apparently characters will tie in with Stalker 2, not the first series. And it's all in-house funded, expected around 2012. Talk about marketing campaigns.

Taking a break
    With the release of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl in 2007 we concomitantly launched a series of the game-world-inspired novels (published in Russian and German). So far, the number of books in the series has exceeded 45 (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has been #1 sci-fi book series in Russia for the last two and a half years) with the aggregate sales number topping 5 million copies!
    Suddenly it doesn't seem that crazy anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    I wonder if any from our Eastern Bureau feel like giving a better translation than those subtitles. Particularly the bit where the soldier is talking to the (guys who look like) prisoners. The subs there make no sense at all.
    They don't make that much more sense in Russian either, I think. The subs seem about right.

This idea is filled with WIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxsmith View Post
    They don't make that much more sense in Russian either, I think. The subs seem about right.
    Great, now my head is full of fuck.

But thanks.

They can cut costs by having long scenes where the door guard says "DON'T STAND THERE, I SAID COME IN" over and over.

Taking a break
    And they can crash the episode as a cliffhanger.

Chakat sex pillow
    Or show someone unable to move when they add that last piece of irradiated bread to their very full backpack.

I'd like to see only episodes inside a bunker during blowouts, something like eaton place without the butler

TTLG.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    A stab at this:

The bit about "industrial reserves" (more precisely translated, labor reserves) and "building a happy future"?

Both are basically prime Soviet bureaucrat-speak references with some pretty dark tones, exactly as you'd expect from Stalker.

Labor reserves calls to mind two things -- first, prisoner labor, as you surmised (and implies a "need luck to survive" situation); second, the use of soldiers to try to put out the fire at Chernobyl in 1986. Various machines kept failing on getting close, so soldiers with little or no protective gear were told they each had to put one shovelful of dirt on the fire. Most of them got entertaining radiation diseases.

"Building a happy future" and phrases like it were common exhortations to work hard and endure the less-than-wonderful today in hopes of a brighter tomorrow, especially under Stalin. A particularly common/infamous example was the required chant, "Thank you, Comrade Stalin, for our happy childhood!"

Why the shooting breaks out isn't so clear; could be an execution (logical but the angles and setup look wrong), could be something else.

Ah, the slogan makes things a bit clearer. Cheers.

Not much though. I guess they are referencing a book series I know nothing about so that makes sense. My first guess was that the guys doing the shooting are stalkers, as in S.T.A.L.K.E.Rs, sent by the C group to stop people getting too close to the reactor. I get the impression somehow that it's all well before the events of the first game, you see. The explosion is recent, the Zone's not as big yet etc ( and I guess that means the newer, weirder Zone within the old exclusion zone).

Complete speculation of course. I wonder if the books are any good. I see game tie ins like that and I move swiftly on. Admittedly the one's I've seen are Doom and Halo (someone's buying them though: huge series of the things). These might be alright, once translated o'course.

Isn't the story for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. just a rip-off of a Soviet science fiction film anyway?

I seem to remember reading that somewhere...

Chakat sex pillow
    There's a movie called Stalker by Tarkovsky which is based on a book by the brothers Strugatsky called Roadside Picnic. The game borrows in turn from the book and the movie.

Worth noting that the book and film have almost nothing in common except The Zone, a stalker, a meat grinder anomaly (maybe), a wish granting place and maybe the mutation concept a little. And I guess bolt throwing.
    Sounds like a lot but they're really nothing alike. The film is a very alegorical tale of desire and the search for truth with a lot of spirituality thrown in. The book is pretty hard sci-fi about human life and progress, the alien providing the illustration of our smallness (thematically it reminds me of Solaris in that respect).
    In fiction terms the film would take place a long time after the book, the Zone's actual power as anything but a symbol having faded almost completely.

The atmosphere of the game is much more like that of the book, with scary gravitational anomalies everywhere, talk of strange beasts, black marketeers, scientific expeditions, heavy military presence etc. It's a real frontier sort of place. The basis of the The Zone itself is completely different though.

Quote Originally Posted by ZymeAddict View Post
    Isn't the story for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. just a rip-off of a Soviet science fiction film anyway?

I seem to remember reading that somewhere...

No, it's not a rip-off, but music is close Also, things Muzman wrote about, like anomalies.
    Devs obviously saw the film and read the book, but if it can be called rip-off, then only spiritual rip-off.
    Last edited by 242; 30th Nov 2010 at 18:26.

The game is the most action-y of the franchise, naturally. The book was moderately so, and the film not at all (though the party does have to get through a military cordon to get into the zone; that's about it).

This certainly looks interesting. Here's hoping they don't screw it up. I have faith!

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerman View Post
    This certainly looks interesting. Here's hoping they don't screw it up. I have faith!
    my words.

if it was an US production i'd be much more worried.

Taking a break
    Yeah? And how many TV shows from eastern europe have you seen?

Quote Originally Posted by snauty View Post
    if it was an US production i'd be much more worried.
    If you hope it will be art then leave all your hopes. Local TV shows generally are shite, they aren't art in any way.
    Last edited by 242; 13th Dec 2010 at 07:10.

I can only hope this series will bring attention to the Tarkovsky masterpiece, but I have little hope for the show itself.