TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101520253035 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you making?

Ah awesome. THANKYOU very much. I'd spent the last few hours on this without luck.

[edit]
    Still gives me the error on the other PC I have in my place.

On another forum which I mentioned about this remake on, they advised doing something called static linking. Which I've been attempting to do without success so far.
    Last edited by icemann; 22nd May 2011 at 09:09.

Administrator
    It fixed the problem on both of my machines - but they already have the Visual C++ runtimes installed for all recent versions. It looks like the DLLs need a mix of runtimes. DevIL.dll appears to require two versions of the 2005 runtime, and the ftgl_d.dll (in your zip file) needed the 2008 runtime. It also looks like you're distributing some of the 2010 runtime files, but this isn't listed as a dependancy in the application's manifest.

I'd be inclined to build everything in the same version of Visual Studio where you can. I don't know if everything has a static library available - but ftgl certainly does. Build the solution in release mode and you should end up with a "ftgl_static.lib" in the msvc\build directory. Specify this as an additional dependency in your Fishing Time project settings (under linker) and you shouldn't need that DLL. The same principle may also work for the other libraries you're using.

Ok I'll get to work on that. Trying to get FTGL static compiling currently which requires a few lib files I dont have currently (freetype235.lib for one).

Administrator
    Yes - that's an old version of freetype. I got version 2.4.4 from here and built it. I then changed the library that ftgl was looking for to freetype244.lib and then built that (I had to move the library into freetype's objs directory before it would pick it up).

Well I moved across the freetype244.lib file (freetype 2 compiled no problems at all) and then specified it + its directory to the linker and now I get a whole heap of unresolved symbol errors. So trying to fix that now.

[edit]
    Done. Compiled ftgl_static.lib and move it over. Put it down as a dependency in linker. Then tried to run the game again and it still wants the dll file :S. Is there any additional settings I need to set in place before it will compile the file into the .exe? I had assumed that simply linking to the static lib file would have been enough.

Note that the static lib I compiled I had in one solution and fishing derby in another.

Do both projects need to be under the same solution file to combine successfully?
    Last edited by icemann; 22nd May 2011 at 10:45.

Administrator
    No - they can be in separate solutions, that's not a problem. Probably a daft question but have you removed the ftgl.lib (i.e. the DLL import library) from the list of dependancies from your game? If you're still linking to it then your game will still need the DLL.

And stupid me was still linking to it yes (ftgl_d.lib had still been in there). Except that as soon as I removed that I got a whole heap of unresolved external symbol errors.

Eg:
    unresolved external symbol __imp__FT_Init_FreeType

More fixing needed. Grr.

Thank you for all your help so far.

Note that earlier when I had tried to compile the ftgl_dll that that had given me unresolved symbol errors as well, but since I wasn't building a new dll file I didn't worry about it at the time.
    Last edited by icemann; 22nd May 2011 at 11:41.

Administrator
    Sent a PM to avoid cluttering up this thread even further.

@Icemann:
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_B View Post
    I don't know if everything has a static library available - but ftgl certainly does.
    Can not say with certainty - but as far as i remember everything there has either a precompiled static library available or you can compile one yourself.

To remove the win specific dll's (ie. use static linking for standard libraries): Look under C/C++ -> Code Generation -> Runtime Library.

More details: http://www.toymaker.info/Games/html/libraries.html

Ps. You can add the other libraries in source also (i happen to prefer that method as it is more convenient for me to choose what version of the libraries i compile against and can pick and choose via preprocessor), ex:
    #pragma comment(lib,__FILE__ "/../../lib/freetype-2.3.12/win64-freetype2312ST.lib")

Due to security reasons - if the path is given then it must be full path. hence why the __FILE__ "/.." part.
    ... hm ... freetype lib is outdated - have to get a new one (some important patents fell in the mean time, so the update is worth the hassle i bet).

Administrator
    Don't forget that if you want to remove the Visual C++ runtime you should make sure that ALL libraries that you statically link to are compiled in the same way. I have known situations where this isn't practical although it should be possible in this case with a bit of work.

I'm in two minds about the #pragma approach for including library dependancies. I do find it useful where a library is strongly related to a particular source file. However, it can make it harder to review which libraries are being used unless you're familiar with the source code.

Ok now this one has been confirmed as working on other peoples PCs (over at retro remakes), you'll need to have the c++ redistributable installed as well which I linked earlier.

And I went and set myself up a mediafire account.

Link to Fishing Time:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?v2cnp6vv27u0csz

I just finished the first piece of furniture for the whole set I'm planning. Target platform is TDS but it could be any engine, I guess.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5...net01sheet.jpg

Moderator and Priest
    Finally got to play Fishing Time! Went through two games, and didn't notice any severe issues, other than the shark eating my fish with it's tail.

Judith: Where the hell you been, man? Here you are making cool stuff, and I haven't heard peep one out of you in forever.

Yep thats intentional. In the original version if a fish touches anything of the shark, then the fish gets eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    I just finished the first piece of furniture for the whole set I'm planning. Target platform is TDS but it could be any engine, I guess.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5...net01sheet.jpg
    It'd be nice if you'd donated it for The Dark Mod as well.
    Good looking furniture is always welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    It'd be nice if you'd donated it for The Dark Mod as well.
    Good looking furniture is always welcome.
    Sure, I just need model format extension and someone who would work with TDM's shaders a bit. This model begs for proper specular

426 polies? You should donate a version of that to the Thief 2 modders, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    426 polies? You should donate a version of that to the Thief 2 modders, too.
    Sure, no problem. Anyone who wants the model please PM me and leave any technical info I might need: target format, texture size limitations etc.

I'm not sure the texture will be good for T2 since the model is unwrapped. Scaling it down to something like 256x256 will loose all the detail. Still someone could retexture it.

Thief doesn't support any fancy texture types like specular, normal, bump, etc., though with the appropriate patches there's no texture size limitation any more (technically I think the limit is 4096x4096).

Target format is Thief's own model format, which can be built from .3ds.

Does it have working hinges? Those can be something of a pain to set up in Dark (not that difficult but it's a bit fiddly).

If anyone's interested, you'd probably be best to just send them the original texture and .3ds and get them to sort it all out for themselves.

The same model in motion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUJuUBuxvPE

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Man. Look at you. Getting all fancy with your pans and zooms. Looks good, by the way.

Work on my NWN tileset continues slowly and surely. Not nearly as fast as I'd like, of course. But I'm too ponderous to really speed things along.

It's gonna be a very monochromatic little town. Red and fluhhhhhh seems to be about the extent of my palette.

So I've got 3 mostly but not quite done buildings in, along with a few dirt road tiles, some ground tiles, and...two trees. Mostly what I've learned from all of this is that I suck at doing trees pretty badly. I can never make them look realistic enough to satisfy my raging anal retentive tendencies. And doing skeletal winter trees with a low poly count is that much harder.

And I gotta say, it seems to be veering more and more towards Southern Gothic and less and less towards the old Victorian style I was originally aiming for.

what the ...

My free codding time is mostly spent with the minecraft modpack (wow, been out for over half a year with ongoing extension/support!) ... anyway - i bet most of you who have spent some considerable time in minecraft lands already know that. So, not news :/ ... hm ... ah, to the point.

Well, started coding in c++ again, after quite some time, intending to make something gamey - but mostly just to re-learn stuff.

Got some peculiar errors a few hours ago that i fail to solve - yet. The compile time errors show up when i target x86 (i pretty much always have targeted x64 since 64bit win showed up) - never with x64 and i can not find any configuration differences between the two. Maybe some of you have an idea how to find out what the hell is going on.
    1) all the interlocked intrinsic functions (like: "_InterlockedIncrement") give me "identifier not found" ... ? (windows.h included with LEAN_AND_MEAN)
    2) "void *operator new( size_t n )" stuff gives "error C2373: 'operator new' : redefinition; different type modifiers \n predefined C++ types (compiler internal)(23) : see declaration of 'operator new'". delete gives similar error.

wut?

edit: ok, #2 solved - that insufferable dork demanded _cdecl for some retarded reason. (needless to say - i am very unhappy with that. any idea how to beat some sense into it?)
    Last edited by zombe; 11th Jun 2011 at 05:57.

Administrator
    At the back of my mind I think I've seen this type of issue before due to precompiled headers problems. It might be worth trying turning off the use of them for at least one source file and see if that clears up the problem with that file (not sure how large your project is).

Adding "#include <intrin.h>" solved it ... but why do i need to do that? windows.h was supposed to add them :/ ... *confused*. And why none of the problems show up with x64 target?

edit: wait, what the h* ... http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2ddez55b.aspx ... i could have sworn it told windows.h.

edit2: ah, probably sleep deprivation induced confusion with this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

edit3: i LOL'd (ie. that is NOT terribly useful):
    Windows 95, Windows NT 3.51 and earlier: If the result of the operation is zero, the return value is zero. If the result of the operation is less than zero, the return value is negative, but it is not necessarily equal to the result. If the result of the operation is greater than zero, the return value is positive, but it is not necessarily equal to the result.
    Last edited by zombe; 11th Jun 2011 at 06:30.

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101520253035 ... LastLast