TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Grimrock: 2.5D dungeon-crawling game

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Yet I found it out on the first level...

You can figure it out by doing it, but the actual explanation of that particular mechanic is in a note far later in the game.

Er, what I actually mean is, YOU DIED ON LEVEL 1 LULZ
    Last edited by Jason Moyer; 13th Jul 2012 at 21:42.

Administrator
    Knowing you can resurrect your party members via the crystals isn't a spoiler. Extrapolation of that could be, but even then I don't think it warrants spoiler tags.

It's a mechanical spoiler.

There's a note on the first level that tells you the crystals can bring back dead characters. I don't think it's even in a hidden area, just laying around near the crystal at the end of the level.

Wondering if I should have ever asked

DO YOU KNOW THE SECRET OF THE CRYSTAL?

I have resurrected my party. Now down to Level 3, bring it. This is fun, in a pseudo-retro kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by driver View Post
    There's a note on the first level that tells you the crystals can bring back dead characters. I don't think it's even in a hidden area, just laying around near the crystal at the end of the level.
    Toorum's Note #12

Location: Level 10, behind Crystal of Life (accessed from secret switch in north tunnels)

I've seen similar crystals in the temples of Nex but compared to these huge formations, they were withered and lifeless. Those crystals certainly didn't have enough power in them to bring back a fallen companion back to life.

I wonder how many times I can still cheat death?

- Toorum

I guess the note on level 1 does tell you that, although for some reason I just assumed it meant that it would heal you.
    Last edited by Jason Moyer; 14th Jul 2012 at 07:33.

Taking a break
    VI ALTAR OF REBIRTH

NEW LIFES FOR OLD BONES

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    I guess the note on level 1 does tell you that, although for some reason I just assumed it meant that it would heal you.
    Yeah, it is a bit vague. Though the note on level 10 is more of a 'found any bones? HINT HINT' deal.

Well, I bought this and now entering level 5 I think. Pretty fun, the puzzles have been fairly good this far as in they're logical and fun to solve. I hope there's tougher ones ahead though.

I went with the premade party, but now I'm annoyed that I've leveled my rogue to be a melee one, because I was thinking ranged combat would be a chore. Oh well.

A ranged rogue maxed-out with a crossbow is lethal as hell. Multiple strikes per turn with a ton of damage. Unarmed fighters end up being pretty badass too in the long run.

Still Subjective
    I'm maxing mine out but with a longbow because a. I have more ammo for it and b. I don't have a crossbow, having used a certain key to get a book instead of a crossbow - and I haven't come across another one.

My rogue throws rocks

Yes, I'm doing it wrong

Still Subjective
    What the hell?

I go away for a week and it's uninstalled itself. Yes, I haven't used the computer since last week Monday.

So I re-installed it and my saves are still there. Nice. But now it runs like a pig. Was there an update or something that did this?

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Maybe your mom uninstalled it?

Still Subjective
    hilarious

I had to laugh, sorry SE.

I've had no such problem.

Administrator
    Why? Is your mother still playing it?

Still Subjective
    Must have been the computer at the time. After restarting it's all fine.

I've a new hate - dinosaurs.

Hrmm..ok, so I've just reached the spiders on level 3, and holy fucking shit are they horrible.

Advice?

I've gone for a party with a human stabby rogue and a big ol' dumb minotaur mace fighter in the front and a wizard and missile rogue in the back row, but the missile rogue is at the moment limited to throwing rocks and shuriken coz I haven't found a bow (though she also has a comedy spear for those 'shit I ran out of rocks' moments). The mage is fire/spellcraft at the moment.

The current scheme seems to be "take them on singly, attempt to get sneak hits in before backing off, pour on the firebursts as fast as wizard-dude can recharge", but that's mostly because stabby rogue can't seem to do much damage before dying of poison, minotaur can do a fuckton of damage on the rare occasions he actually manages to hit (but mostly he just dies of poison), and the backrow do the actual killing. Specifically, the mage does. In fact, relative to the rest of my gimps, he's fast becoming stupidly overpowered, especially against those 'four in a square' legion folks, where AOE damage is king.

Given the front two often die before the spider does, the back two are also getting exp considerably faster, which will presumably make the wizard even more OP.

Since he's getting skillpoints to spare, would it be better to invest in ice magic for some crowd control?

(also, this is running on my aging laptop, so the gfx are turned down to almost DM levels: it's still a bit sluggish -a brief delay before each move-, but I don't know whether that's a processing issue or actual game behaviour)

I'd be happy to give some advice, had I managed to get through the door to the entrance of Level 3!

First puzzle that hasn't been blindingly obvious - I'll get there shortly. (Yes, I figure it is to do with torches)

Still Subjective
    I'm on the last 3 levels now.

Tips for you guys; take on creatures one at a time, sidestep them/strafe them iyswim, try not to get hit by spiders at all because that poison is just aaaaargh.

I went with the standard party set-up. Note that the rogue has skills that can allow melee attacks from the back row. I've found that throwing weapons deal more dps than bows and then you can start using your melee weapon.

If you're playing on normal difficulty don't be too cautious using the bombs you find. You do keep finding them.

And here is a great walkthrough/guide for those times when you just can't work it out.
    http://www.gamebanshee.com/legendofg...alkthrough.php

I'm pretty sure you could beat the game without much problem with any party makeup imaginable. Having some poison resistance is probably the biggest thing I found nearly essential as it's the only damage that's truly difficult to avoid at a few parts of the game, but otherwise you should be able to square dance your way to victory in most battles. The actual hard part of the game is solving some of the puzzles.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by DDL View Post
    Hrmm..ok, so I've just reached the spiders on level 3, and holy fucking shit are they horrible.

Advice?
    Find a place at least 2x2 big, face the enemy, strafe left and rotate right, hit the enemy as it's turning towards you, strafe left and turn right, hit the enemy as it's turning towards you, repeat for the entire game.

Still Subjective
    Of course this basic principle is correct but unless you've played it you won't really know how hard it is.

Have you played it?
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.