TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 311 FirstFirst 12345678910152025303540455055105255 ... LastLast

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

by destroying the reactor. That is the power source for the human base. With out it, their armory won't work, their medistation won't work, and all of their defenses are useless as well.

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    HOW CAN THEY CUT THE POWER?! THEY'RE ANIMALS!
    What do you want me to do, fetch your slippers for you?

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Would you, sir? I'd like that.

psst, lost_soul: go watch Aliens you boring bitch

is Best Pony
    Nnnnngh look into my eye.

Looks like love at first sight to me.

is Best Pony
    Oh, he likes you, Burke.

We're on an express elevator to hell, going down!

Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up with current events, but we just got our asses kicked pal!

Sure, I've seen the Alien movies. Aliens was my favorite by far. It has been like a decade though.

This game totally captured the feeling of that movie. I've been an alien dretch hiding on the wall in a dark corridor, watching an unsuspecting human roaming the level. Then I silently drop down behind him and bite! lol

The only problem with the game is that everyone only wants to play one map, ATCS. This particular map is symmetrical just like 2fort. There are lots of other great maps that sadly are rarely played where you can really get creative with base construction, there are multiple paths through the level, and they just look a whole lot prettier.

is Best Pony
    I say we take off, and we nuke the map from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by lost_soul View Post
    Sure, I've seen the Alien movies. Aliens was my favorite by far. It has been like a decade though.
    It's not like people don't quote Aliens liberally.

But do watch them again.

If just one of these quotes come from lost_soul you can kiss all this goodbye!

Get away from her you BITCH!!!

KWARRRR!!!

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by dexterward View Post
    (I`m pretty sure I could even skip most of the lol-upgrades and still win all the battles anyway)
    The upgrades to the Normandy are pretty plot critical. I.e. Expect characters to plotline-die if you don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Sounds like some people need to get better at games...
    this.

btw on topic im currently playing Dead Island and lots of it. also picked up Commandoes 1 since its only 3 bucks on GOG... idk when i will get back to DXHR.

The problem with some of those D&D games is that they've got crap learning curves. They suggest at first that you're absolutely free to create any party you like, but in practice you'll find that unless you go for a small number of preferred builds (or switch to lowest difficulty) you'll be slaughtered by a bunch of retarted kobolds armed with raw potatoes. And the game doesn't give you enough feedback for you to know whether the problem is your strategy, your party build, your equipment etc., which isn't particularly good design (and saying, "Get better at games!" is disingenuous"...). I love Baldur's Gate II and Planescape Torment to bits, but without some previous understanding of how D&D works it's frustrating to be thrown in at the deep end.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I love Baldur's Gate II and Planescape Torment to bits, but without some previous understanding of how D&D works it's frustrating to be thrown in at the deep end.
    This.

The IE games were my first contact with D&D as well, and while I now love all of them it took me a looong time to really get comfortable with them. It doesn't help that I played PST first and spent most of the first half of the game running around thinking "Where on earth can I buy a proper set of armour for the Nameless One!?!"

Aside from that though, there's definite issues with the mechanics* and the lore** that are simply counter-intuitive, especially to a D&D novice.

* lower armour class = better, WTF!?!
    ** I most remember the quest in the Umar Hills where a dude asks you to kill a Silver Dragon. The game gives you the option (or even asks you) to kill various dragons throughout it, and it's never a problem to any of your companions, but as soon as you agree to kill the silver one there's all sorts of uproar. Nowhere in the game beforehand does it explain that killing dragons = good, killing silver dragons = bad. Admittedly, this whole quest is about you trying to obtain armour made of human flesh, so I should have guessed something foul was afoot, but still.

Nevertheless, if you can get past all these issues I think all the IE games are well worth a playthough.

is Best Pony
    Didn't a number of those games (I think Neverwinter Nights and possibly Baldur's Gate II also) come with gimped manuals in the UK, with a lot of the mechanics explanation cut out of them? Wouldn't help matters, certainly.

I'm not sure, I got some re-release versions of these games without a paper manual (pdf manual only, I believe). Don't know whether those were gimped.

Done with DXHR. Will post my thoughts once I'm capable of thought.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    ** I most remember the quest in the Umar Hills where a dude asks you to kill a Silver Dragon. The game gives you the option (or even asks you) to kill various dragons throughout it, and it's never a problem to any of your companions, but as soon as you agree to kill the silver one there's all sorts of uproar. Nowhere in the game beforehand does it explain that killing dragons = good, killing silver dragons = bad. Admittedly, this whole quest is about you trying to obtain armour made of human flesh, so I should have guessed something foul was afoot, but still.
    see i call that a learning experience. i know now that theres dozens of forgotten realms books, still havent read them, but its not like i read any of them before i played BG1. everyone had those experiences if they didnt know DnD or forgotten realms. the only way you learn the lore is to find out -

"why do they hate Viconia so much..."
    "why cant my gnome be a paladin..."
    "whats wrong with killing a silver dragon to craft armor from human flesh...?"

....and thats how you learn things.

Or...

They could've included this lore in some form or another within the game (or atl east in the manual). That way you can learn first and then make an informed decision when you're asked to kill a Silver Dragon, as opposed to going in blind.

I know ingame tutorials weren't as ubiquitous back then as they are now, but there's a reason games nowadays have them - to get you to learn about the game (setting, story, mechanics, etc.) so you've got foreknowledge for when you are confronted with having to make a decision.

Well, one of the reasons, at least.

Unless the game designer intended you to not have any foreknowledge.

Which isn't really the case with the Umar Hills example.

is Best Pony
    Do any party members comment on it before acceptance? I can't recall.

Not before, merely with disgust afterwards, from what I recall. It's been a while since I played the game, admittedly.

I find myself replaying the ridiculously short demo of HardReset over and over again. I still fail at insane though. I have high hopes for this game and this short section seems to deliver on: EVERYTHING MUST EXPLODE

Page 5 of 311 FirstFirst 12345678910152025303540455055105255 ... LastLast