TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TOO ANGRY FOR WORDS: Stalker 2 to have "permanent online DRM"

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine

TOO ANGRY FOR WORDS: Stalker 2 to have "permanent online DRM"

"Permanent Internet Access" For STALKER 2

"Software piracy is an issue for us, we try to fight it, but within reason… Protection from piracy? Part of the content will be located on the server and downloaded as the game progresses. Permanent internet access is required. Text information, code and quests will be loaded through that connection."

Oh. Well, if that does turn out to be the case, I guess I'm just not going to buy it then.

I'd like to see how they are going to technically pull this out.
    Oh and as silly and cliché as it sounds, if that's the case I'm not buying it either.

I just wrote out this post several times, but Dethtoll has it right enough: it makes me too angry for words. Stalker 2 is the sole game I have any interest in that is coming out in the next couple of years (aside from maybe Episode 3 lolololo). Thankfully I'm seeing a huge backlash on every games website, every forum, and the official stalker page on facebook.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'm really sorry GSC. I love the stalker games. A lot. But I won't buy your product if you ship it with this "feature."

BASICALLY STAB ME IN MY FUCKING COCK

BASICALLY

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RRRRAAAAGE

You know, I really thought they wanted my money. I guess I was wrong.

But let's not get carried away here, we should all be friends! Come GSC and give me a hug. :-3
    Last edited by Bjossi; 8th Oct 2011 at 16:17.

They'll obviously have to drop this shit at some point. I doubt many people will buy it till they do. oh sorry I mean what a cock-shitting rage I am in right now, oh boy. grr. I mean, this can't really last can it? Dethtoll's reaction has been shared by the entire internet. And unlike a lot of games, STALKER is a PC-centric, nerd-centric game where the opinion of the internet actually represents the opinion of the games core audience.

Okay, so I don't have a cock, but I am REALLY PISSED OFF ABOUT THIS. Same goes for all my Stalker friends on other forums. I honestly hope GSC gives a listen to this backlash; but then again, maybe it'll take all of us not buying S2 to make them come around.

DAMMIT SERGEI: I GAVE YOU SOME OF THE BEST MONTHS OF MY LIFE AND THIS IS HOW YOU REPAY ME?!!!??!

just fuck off then

I didn't buy Clear Sky because of how cocked up it was, so I am certainly capable of skipping STALKER games. Consider this the 2nd time that will happen.

Oh, and as buggy as STALKER games already are, this will guarantee a super fucking glitchy mess at release.

Oddly enough, you missed Call of Pripyat which was one of the most stable games I've encountered in years (not that I encounter that many)

Anyway, it's weird. Whoever runs GSCs twitter has heard nothing about any of this.

Wouldn't this also kill any modding potential?

Bjossi: There's only speculation on whether there will be any effect on modding. Most folks are guessing that since certain parts of the game; (text, code, quests etc) will be streamed from a GSC server, it will be difficult or impossible to actually mod them. I suppose if graphics and sound assets are client-side then they can be modded. Similarly, I expect the main chunk of how the game actually works will be client side. Probably...

Some of the comments on the Official Stalker facebook group through the day have been pure facepalm material . Some people seem to think that this DRM is a good thing because they've convinced themselves that it will work similar to OnLive while throwing accusations that anyone who doesn't like DRM obviously never paid for any Stalker games in the first place. Others are making wild claims (remember, there has been no proper confirmation from GSC yet) about how loading a new area will take half an hour because itll download ALL the assets on demand. We gamers sure know how to stick together, huh?

The big problem with these implementations is not necessarily the DRM itself but the fact it is never, ever patched out. As soon as a game is cracked and available on file sharing networks and torrent trackers the DRM is rendered completely useless. Yet it is never patched out, not even when the critical period of the game's life has long since passed. DRM is in its very nature a temporary solution, there is no DRM that can't and won't get cracked, it is just a matter of when. But for some reason, I suppose a financial one, this is being treated as a permanent solution.

I would go as far as to say that there should be a legal requirement to remove all form of DRM from a game when it has met certain conditions, like time since release, time since it got cracked, average sales per timeframe, etc. Since the companies lack the iniative to play fair and reasonable with their loyal user base it seems that a legal enforcement is necessary. It never ceases to amaze me how low people are willing to go just because there isn't a law that forbids it. What happened to just being nice to other individuals and enjoy the feeling of doing a good deed?

I would be a lot more willing to buy a game on release and live with draconian DRM implementations if I KNEW it would get patched out in the near-ish future. Didn't Atari promise to remove the DRM from Riddick Dark Athena? Unless I have been living in a cave the DRM is still present and that game is well over 2.5 years old and was cracked at most 0.01 years later.

I was going to complain, being that the STALKER games are among the few games of the last few years that I actually purchased. Then I remembered that Clear Sky had DRM and that I only bought it once they removed it and had a ~$5 sale on Steam for it. I'll wait for that to happen again this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ANTSHODAN View Post
    Some of the comments on the Official Stalker facebook group through the day have been pure facepalm material . Some people seem to think that this DRM is a good thing because they've convinced themselves that it will work similar to OnLive while throwing accusations that anyone who doesn't like DRM obviously never paid for any Stalker games in the first place. Others are making wild claims (remember, there has been no proper confirmation from GSC yet) about how loading a new area will take half an hour because itll download ALL the assets on demand. We gamers sure know how to stick together, huh?
    From what I've been reading on the Official Stalker FB site (http://www.facebook.com/officialstalker) it doesn't sound to me as though anybody (okay, well, ONE guy, and that was 7 hours ago) is thinking this DRM is a good thing. Are we talking about the same FB site?

GSC's response on the matter:

Originally Posted by Twitter gscstalker, via RPS

The idea of implementing DRM came in as a possible anti-piracy solution. You know the severe level of commercial piracy we have here in ex-USSR region. This said however, there is no firm decision to go for DRM with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 as of now. Be assured, we do realize how uncomfortable this solution is for the players, so we’ll continue looking for most effective, yet acceptable for all, way of protecting the game by the time of its release.

If they're so concerned about DRM they should just use Steam and be done with it. Most people would be fine with that. Some people aren't going to be happy, but better a small, vocal minority than pissing off EVERYONE.

Seconded.

Srsly.

Taking a break
    You do realize that Steam DRM is laughably easy to crack? I mean damn, even basic SecuROM provides more protection.

Yeah, but nobody really cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Oddly enough, you missed Call of Pripyat which was one of the most stable games I've encountered in years (not that I encounter that many)

Anyway, it's weird. Whoever runs GSCs twitter has heard nothing about any of this.
    No I didn't. I have both SoC and CoP on disc and STEAM.