TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 18 1234561116 ... LastLast

Thread: GTA V

GTA V

It's official! We get a trailer on 11.2.2011. Until then, here is what PSM is expecting.

Real world LA? Financial crisis based storyline? No LA Noire face capture? Well, let's see what happens. I trust R* completely.

I only trust them to deliver a bug'n'drm-riddled, unoptimized pc version a year later. GTA4 was imo like the worst part in the series (gameplay&story), no matter how cool the tech at the time.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Just not having any of the tedious social simulator crap from vanilla GTA4 would be a step in the right direction, IMO.

I was playing The Lost and Damned earlier this week and you know what, I didn't miss any of the the pseudo-RPG feature bloat from San Andreas at all. Weight management, fitness/stamina levels, having to eat, etc. they made the right move removing that from GTA4.

Taking SA's irritating dating and making that basically the entire fucking sandbox outside of campaign missions in GTA4 though... fuck the social sim crap hard. "NIKO, LET'S GO BOWLING NOW OR I NO LOVE YOU ANY MORE!"

I did not like the dress and work-out routine of SA either but at least it was more fun gameplay/mechanics-wise imo. My favorite is Vice City though. Niko just annoyed the hell out of me.

Knows his stuff
    You didn't have to manage your weight or eat in SA. You could, if you wanted to.

I didn't like how people kept calling me in GTA4 either, but you could always just turn your phone off y'know.

For GTA5 I hope they stick to the formulas set by VC&SA. Keep the tech from GTA4 and just add more stuff and make it bigger.

Chakat sex pillow
    GTA IV was... okay. Ish. The formula is getting stale, and with all the SO SERIOUS attached to IV's narrative, it started to lose its attraction.

The dichotomy between player agenda and the plot's agenda doesn't let the two mesh, never did, but since Vice City was as hilariously fun as it was, it was never a terribly big issue. However, it's been becoming more and more egregious the more they railroad the story in one direction, and IV was the nadir of story-based open-world gaming because the sense of fun and being tongue-in-cheek was ripped out from the main plot without any care or concern.

V had better attempt a realistic choice/consequence system its Thing To Have if they continue down this road, or else they're just going to be spinning their wheels and going nowhere fast.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    The dichotomy between player agenda and the plot's agenda doesn't let the two mesh, never did, but since Vice City was as hilariously fun as it was, it was never a terribly big issue. However, it's been becoming more and more egregious the more they railroad the story in one direction, and IV was the nadir of story-based open-world gaming because the sense of fun and being tongue-in-cheek was ripped out from the main plot without any care or concern.
    Very much agreed. They was often a huge schism between the player's actions during gameplay and Niko's during the scripted campaign.

I'm playing like a psycho who drives recklessly and murders bystanders without a second thought. Niko in the storyline was initially trying (really unsuccessfully) to put his former life of crime and violence behind him and to make a new start.

If anything GTA is increasingly becoming more like linear JRPGs as time goes by.

For me, Vice City is also yet to be bettered.

Miami. Ridiculous trousers. Yellow Lambo. 99 Red Balloons. Massive amounts of fun.

Done.

As long as we get more interesting geography than Vice City... That place was painfully flat. Give me San Fierro any day. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind a GTA set in '60s or '70s San Fierro.

I don't know why they'd set it in LA/Los Santos again. GTA:SA wasn't that long ago and they just set LA Noire there. They could set it in a fictional Chicago maybe, or London if they want pedigree.

I predict a liberty city size Los Santos, with outlying countryside and wilderness similar to SA, but without the other 2 cities.

If only we knew which films they've been watching recently.

If they are going to keep going in the more serious direction (and I hope they do), what I'd like to see are multiple characters with campaigns about the length of the GTA IV episodes, that all intertwine and tell one big story. I found the level of escalation in the episodes to be much less ridiculous than in the full game and hence the narratives didn't feel as strained.

The Alchemist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulukai View Post

Miami. Ridiculous trousers. Yellow Lambo. 99 Red Balloons. Massive amounts of fun.

Done.
    Miami is just like that in real life. No seriously.

Anywho, I love the GTA series, but I must say I am way more interested in Saints Row The Third, right now. Just looks like so much goddamn fun.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    For GTA5 I hope they stick to the formulas set by VC&SA. Keep the tech from GTA4 and just add more stuff and make it bigger.
    Agreed 100% with this. GTA SA was in my opinion the best in the series, due to the HUGE amount of things you can do, rpg elements, excellent music and variance in the types of missions available. GTA IV incomparison was a MASSIVE let down. Sure the new additions of the television shows and ingame GTA internet + the strip joints were absolutely awesome, but they removed the vast majority of what was good from the games before it.

So bring back the good stuff, get rid of the annoying phone calls, make the game world as large or larger than that of SA and make the series fun to play and replayable again, cause GTA IV was not.

While I agree that the social stuff wasn't done particularly well in the game - even if you opted out, it got on your nerves - GTA IV is still my second-favourite game in the series. It probably helps that I'm a pacifist pussy and rarely if ever go on a killing spree in these games; the sort of mucking about that I enjoy is mostly vehicular in nature and light on manslaughter. As a result, the storyline works better, as far as I'm concerned. (I'm not saying that those who play as out-and-out psychos are doing it wrong, mind you, and I can see how their playstyle doesn't gel with the story and characterisation.)

I very much don't think they should try to out-Saints Row their competition - Volition is already doing that and doing it well. To my mind Rockstar should concentrate on telling a great story while incorporating more elements from San Andreas; I greatly enjoy Rockstar's storytelling, but they can improve how it ties in with gameplay.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I very much don't think they should try to out-Saints Row their competition - Volition is already doing that and doing it well. To my mind Rockstar should concentrate on telling a great story while incorporating more elements from San Andreas; I greatly enjoy Rockstar's storytelling, but they can improve how it ties in with gameplay.
    Did you play Chinatown Wars? It maintains the balancing act between the two quite well:- OTT fun sandbox gameplay with lots to do (well, within SA/VC confines, not Saints Row 2 levels by any means) and serious storytelling. CW was everything GTA4 should've been. You don't have to one or the other.

What killed murder sprees dead for me in GTA4 that it was very difficult to lose the relentlessness police at higher star ratings. Seriously, fuck the wanted circle to hell.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 26th Oct 2011 at 03:38.

Chinatown Wars is excellent, amazing to think they packed that much gameplay into a ds cartridge. Some of the mini games could even be implemented into GTA 5, the hotwiring of the cars, or the whole drug dealing thing would be good.

I haven't played it myself, as I don't have any of the platforms it's available for, but it's definitely on my list if I ever get an iPhone.

I honestly hope that they take their leads from Red Dead Redemption. That game was far more internally consistent and balanced than any GTA game I have played. I felt like that was the first time they successfully incorporated a narrative with any real substance and thematic depth with an open world. The final chapter of that game exceeded any narrative beats I'd seen from rockstar so far.

but.. but.. they are so boring!

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    You didn't have to manage your weight or eat in SA. You could, if you wanted to.

I didn't like how people kept calling me in GTA4 either, but you could always just turn your phone off y'know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulukai View Post

Done.
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Agreed 100% with this. GTA SA was in my opinion the best in the series, due to the HUGE amount of things you can do, rpg elements, excellent music and variance in the types of missions available. GTA IV incomparison was a MASSIVE let down. Sure the new additions of the television shows and ingame GTA internet + the strip joints were absolutely awesome, but they removed the vast majority of what was good from the games before it.

So bring back the good stuff, get rid of the annoying phone calls, make the game world as large or larger than that of SA and make the series fun to play and replayable again, cause GTA IV was not.
    I was writing out my post, but quoting you 3 was pretty much exactly what it said. So, yeah, what they said.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Quote Originally Posted by zajazd View Post
    but.. but.. they are so boring!
    so is this post

Yeah, chalk me up as a big fan of VC. I do think its success is due to the mechanics of the world being well established by the excellent GTA3 and then just looking to turn that into as cool and fun an experience as they could by dialling up the 80s aesthetic and mood with music etc. Of course, Ray Liotta sealed the deal.

On that note, GTA3 is probably the last GTA game that I enjoyed for the crime story side of it, and I probably got more immersed in that smaller, more manageable sandbox world than in any of the others (including VC because it was such a broad rehash of Scarface that I didn't pay as much attention to the minor goings-on).

Since VC the series has been a run of diminishing returns for me. I found San Andreas utterly boring, the story and the added gameplay mechanics left me cold. GTA4 was an amazing engine for a GTA game but lacked pretty much everything else. The story, the music, the mission design, the art, yawn. Impressively detailed, but yawn inducing nonetheless.

I'd love to see them take the GTA4 engine and just so something really idealized and fun with it, but I don't think that's where they are going with this series anymore.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

If you've become disheartened with GTA, there's other options on the market that might have what you want.