TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spec Ops: The Line

Taking a break

Spec Ops: The Line

Call of Duty meets Apocalypse Now in Dubai and what?

Here's a funny one: There was supposed to be a coop mode but they felt coops are too willy-nilly-teabag and it would be detrimental to the tone of the game.

what

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    I'm definitely interested in this though.

Taking a break
    Demo is out on untermensh consoles

Demo's been out for weeks.

Taking a break
    Back in my day it was Slowpoke.

Knows his stuff
    I tried the demo a while back. The character movement and animations felt a bit stiff. Compared with Binary Domain which I'd finished just previously, the controls/gameplay felt a bit clunky. Maybe Spec Ops has some great story that'll make it worth playing through though, couldn't really tell from the demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    Here's a funny one: There was supposed to be a coop mode but they felt coops are too willy-nilly-teabag and it would be detrimental to the tone of the game.
    Co-op can defenitely alter the mood of a game. I discovered this with Dead Island, but I'm sure it applies to many games. Horror pretty much goes right out the window if you're playing with someone, which is why I'm a bit unsure about Dead Space 3's coop mode. Not that the first 2 games were terribly frightening to being with either.

Gave the demo a go the other day and I liked it. The shooting is nothing special but solid enough* with enemies going down in one of two shots, which is a big plus in my book, and your squadmate AI striking a good balance between not being idiots and not doing everything. I don't really like the slight bit of slow-mo that occurs every time you get a headshot, it seems to be at odds with the tone the game is striving for, and the generic rock music that plays, thankfully rather quietly, during combat is bleh in the extreme (the Dead Man-esque twangy guitar stuff that plays elsewhere is aces though). One cool thing that did happen was that equipping my silencer and taking out two guards quickly, let me creep up closer to the main force and overhear a conversation that I wouldn't have otherwise (if you don't take those guards out quickly or silently enough, an alarm is raised and it's on), as well as be in a more prepared position for the upcoming firefight.

So the combat is fine but what's going to make or break the game is the setting and story. From the demo it looks like they've nailed the setting - it's visually striking and captures some of that eerie, not quite of this world feel that Apocalypse Now had. Lots of nice touches like realising that during a firefight amongst airliner wrecker that the row of sets I was taking cover behind had a couple of mummified passengers on the other side, and the obligatory 'intel' collectables being context appropriate e.g. you can find the aforementioned crashed airliner's black box and hear the frantic last seconds of the crew. For the story side of things, it's just too early to tell. The writing is fine but your squad is more than a little generic (blandly handsome white protagonist, sensible black man, wise cracking white dude). In a way that is the ideal setup for a game that's looking to subvert the usual gung-ho military game cliches. The voice acting is good, however, and would seem to be up to the challenge of taking these characters deeper (there a small hints of it in the demo - your character in particular seems a little wearied at times).

Henke's right in that this is no AAA production. It's not some cheap low budget thing either, just that middle tier (I've seen it called AA in some places) that THQ's stuff usually occupies. Basically, if the reviews say the story works then I'm gonna pick this up.

* I should note that I hardly ever play third person shooters so I might not be the best judge. I've seen a few people around call it bland and coming on the heels of Max Payne 3 is probably not going to do it any favours.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Dust View Post
    I should note that I hardly ever play third person shooters
    ...third person shooters?

Yeah, you know, like the third-person shooter this thread is about?

Taking a break
    And here I was certain it was an FPS. Oh well.

Bye game, bye thread

So you didn't watch the video you linked to then?

Chakat sex pillow
    I thought it was mostly mediocre crap, to be honest. It doesn't seem to be inspired by anything much, apart from being set in a city besieged by sand and waist-high walls.

The shooting's about competent, the dialogue and narrative wasn't. True, you can't judge the entire story on the two little slices the demo serves you, but if that's what the rest of the game's going to be like, it's got more rough edges than all the sand in Dubai can paper down.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    So you didn't watch the video you linked to then?
    I did, but for some reason it didn't even occur to me the final/PC version will be TPP. Brainfart I guess.

Played the demo, seems like it's basically a poor man's Gears of Duty. Not all that amazingly interested, to be honest.

Well, sounds like it ain't half bad, actually. More importantly, it seems to do the Heart of Darkness type story quite well, to an extent.

Sweet, a few more reviews like that one and I'm going to pick this up.

I picked the game up on launch...happy to answer any questions you might have if you're in limbo deciding on whether to get it. I'm currently on chapter 7 so I want to finish the game before passing complete judgement on it but so far:

-shooting is standard. it's functional but unremarkable. weapons feel like they have some weight but again you won't be blown away by anything (at least so far...).

-cover system is really easy to use and I haven't had nearly as much frustration as some reviewers have.

-the setting and color palette are refreshingly unique and vibrant. despite a pretty oppressively bland opening, the game really takes on a style and atmosphere of its own after the first chapter.

-the game is brutal as advertised. i found myself feeling sick after shooting an American in the gut and watching him bleed out on the floor. there's something really unnerving about shooting American soldiers (interesting since we have no problem shooting Arabs or Russians). there's one sequence involving white phosphorous that was particularly disturbing but I won't say anything more. it really feels like a marriage of a standard CoD game and something like Silent Hill.

-Spec Ops feels like an experiment...I worry that I'm going to become desensitized to all the shocking moments the game has so far conveyed, and conveyed so well. But we'll see. So far, the game has succeeded in telling a gritty storyline that genuinely feels like it's trying to show that war is hell and faithfully follow the descent into madness arc that Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now pulled off so well.

I'll follow up once I finish it...also? Multiplayer is mostly shit. But I'm assuming none of you were intrigued by that aspect of it....

Demo on ps3 was great except that beginning with helicopters, how deja vuous was that. Gara get pc version now and have sexi time with it.

Thing What Kicks
    So Steam has it listed for 29.99, but GreenManGaming are selling Steam keys for 24.99 if this has piqued anyone else's interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Dust View Post
    Sweet, a few more reviews like that one and I'm going to pick this up.
    Alec Meer at RPS was impressed:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...ops-review-pc/

the Dead Man-esque twangy guitar stuff that plays elsewhere is aces though
    Ooh, nice (also all the encouragement I need to go watch Dead Man again; it's been too long.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ROBtiVAUUI&feature=plcp

TB thought the same. It's rather fascinating.
    There's a lot of complaints that, in reviewing this people are letting mediocre gameplay slide too much. But I don't know. I really don't think RPS would give a third person cover-shooter that much attention if it wasn't doing something interesting. It's like Robocop is doing a fairly standard hero arc, but it's doing it in an interesting and subversive way. If this game wasn't a Gears clone what it's doing wouldn't make as much sense, I'd wager. (still not paying full price)

Just finished it. Wow. That was pretty intense and genuinely discomforting.

More thoughts later but I'd just like to say I actually enjoyed, although as the story progresses that's hardly the right word for it, the shooting. The mouse control is a bit off and the cover sticking is sometimes an issue but on the whole the combat, at least on hard, strikes the right note of gradually escalating intensity. As you're about as vulnerable as the non-bullet sponge enemies it's often a desperate struggle (I used blind-fire far more than any other third-person shooter I've ever played) and the lack of ammunition forces you to make your shots count as well as scramble for new weapons when required.

As I get older I'm finding it harder and harder to find games that I can enjoy as an adult. A friend and I finished Spec Ops around the same time and were able to have a lengthy conversation about the game's themes and how they related to Heart of Darkness (we're both Joseph Conrad fans). It was exhilarating actually. Now games like Battlefield and Call of Duty seem trite and kid's play (fun multiplayer aside). In fact, Spec Ops has now risen a bar for what I expect, or at least hope to see, in future military shooters.

The ending blew me away...not that the twist was anything totally shocking but just how the tone set by the rest of the game wasn't betrayed. I mean these guys REALLy, REALLY stuck to the brutality and horror of war up until the finale frame. If you're in the market for a third person shooter like this, I can't recommend it enough.

And FYI, it's 25 bucks on Amazon right now for PC.

Just finished it. Great game. Very different and very disturbing. However, it posits itself as though you have moral choices to make but you really don't. You can't not shoot, unless I missed something. I guess you can just not play...

I just finished the game too, and it was definitely better than I expected, but I still didn't like the gameplay itself. It was just a TPS, and I found the shooting tiresome and repetitive, especially with the ridiculous amount of enemies you kill. Other than that the story was great (I especially liked how the characters start to break down both in appearance and in attitude as you progress), the scenery and the locations looked good, and I "liked" the brutal imagery and the disturbing scenes. I don't get why they needed to add the slomo headshot thingy though - that together with mowing down hundreds of enemies seem to be at odds with the tone of the game ... but maybe that's what they wanted?
    All in all it was worth playing for the story, but the gameplay kind of detracted from the whole experience for me.