TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thief 1/2 in 3D : install/setup instructions

Thief 1/2 in 3D : install/setup instructions

Thief 1/2 and System Shock 2 can be played in 3D with Thief 2 patch v1.19 and with the Tridef 3D driver or iZ3D driver.

Install and Setup your "usual" 3D driver
    For Nvidia 3D, TriDef 3D, and iZ3D users, be sure that 3D is setup and working properly in other games before playing Thief 1/2 in 3D.
    If you have TriDef 3D, then no need to install iZ3D. iZ3D is only needed for Nvidia 3D users

Install and Setup iZ3D Driver (only if you have Nvidia 3D)
    1. download iZ3D driver 1.13
    2. when installing iZ3D driver 1.13 , choose "custom install", select "iZ3D Monitor (free)", unselect everything else. Choose "Enable Driver". Restart and Finish.
    3. run iZ3D driver. Set output = iZ3D Monitor. Apply
    4. (Optional - for Experienced iZ3D users) Click on "Advanced" --> "In-Game Settings". turn off "Show on-screen messages". Apply

Thief 2 in 3D:
    1. install Thief 2 with Tafferpatcher
    2. To enable anti-aliasing, change cam_ext.cfg
    CHANGE ;multisampletype 8
    TO multisampletype 8
    3. rename 'thief2.exe' to 'thief3.exe' (if you wish, also update the Thief 2 desktop shortcut)
    4. start Thief 2. The main menu is 2D. Don't worry. game maps will look 3D.
    5. press Shift + Num* to turn off the iZ3D startup wizard.
    6. 3D Vision users can adjust depth using the 3D vision emitter and adjust convergence with the keyboard (Ctrl+F5 and Ctrl+F6).
    Alternatively, convergence and separation may also be adjusted with iZ3D: Num- , Num+ , Shift + Num- , Shift + Num+

Steam Version of Thief 2:
    1. install Tafferpatcher
    2. rename 'thief2.exe' to 'thief3.exe'

Thief 2X in 3D:
    After Thief 2 is installed and working properly in 3D,
    1. download and install THIEF2X V1.1 FULL
    2. copy cam_ext.cfg from "...\Thief2" to "...\Thief2\t2x"
    ....\Thief2\cam_ext.cfg
    ....\Thief2\t2x\cam_ext.cfg

3. Use the Thief2X desktop shortcut to start Thief2X (update the shortcut if you renamed 'thief2.exe' to 'thief3.exe')

Thief 1 and Thief Gold in 3D:
    1. install Thief 1 or Thief Gold
    Go to Start, type Run, then type d:\setup.exe -lgntforce
    where d: is your CD/DVD drive.
    2. (Only for Thief 1) download and install Thief 1 patch 1.33
    3. download and install TFix
    4. To enable anti-aliasing, change cam_ext.cfg
    TO multisampletype 8
    5. rename 'thief.exe' to 'thief3.exe' (if you wish, also update the Thief desktop shortcut)
    6. start Thief. The main menu is 2D. Don't worry. game maps will look 3D.
    7. press Shift + Num* to turn off the iZ3D startup wizard.
    8. 3D Vision users can adjust depth using the 3D vision emitter and adjust convergence with the keyboard (Ctrl+F5 and Ctrl+F6).
    Alternatively, convergence and separation may also be adjusted with iZ3D: Num- , Num+ , Shift + Num- , Shift + Num+

Steam Version of Thief Gold:
    1. install TFix
    2. rename 'thief.exe' to 'thief3.exe'

System Shock 2 in 3D:
    1. install System Shock 2
    2. To enable anti-aliasing, change cam_ext.cfg
    TO multisampletype 8
    3. (May be required on some systems) rename 'shock2.exe' to 'thief3.exe' (if you wish, also update the System Shock 2 desktop shortcut)
    4. start System Shock 2. The main menu is 2D. Don't worry. game maps will look 3D.
    5. press Shift + Num* to turn off the iZ3D startup wizard.
    6. 3D Vision users can adjust depth using the 3D vision emitter and adjust convergence with the keyboard (Ctrl+F5 and Ctrl+F6).

Steam Version of System Shock 2:
    1. install SS2Tool
    2. rename 'shock2.exe' to 'thief3.exe'

HD Texture Mod:
    1. Thief 2 HD Texture Mod
    2. Thief Gold HD Texture Mod

HUD fix for System Shock 2:
    1. To increase HUD size, modify cam_ext.cfg
    change
    ;d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay 64
    to
    d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay 64

2. To make HUD a little smoother, modify cam_ext.cfg
    change
    ;d3d_disp_force_filter_scale2d
    to
    d3d_disp_force_filter_scale2d

My favourite mods for System Shock 2
    High Resolution Multiplayer Models
    Pop's Difficulty and Enhancement Mod
    SHTUP Beta 6
    Rebirth 02
    Vurt's Hi-Res Space v1.1
    SS2_Kolya_Crosshair_Invisible (with this mod, in-game 2D crosshair is invisible)

Notes:
    1. System Shock 2 mod manager requires 'shock2.exe' to install.
    2. Shutter glasses block 50% of light. Increase gamma in the main menu.
    3. 3D Vision, Tridef 3D, and iZ3D drivers are normally not compatible with each other.
    Other games or apps may not work properly when more than one 3D driver is enabled.
    Last edited by partol; 29th Oct 2014 at 02:02.

Just a thought, is it possible to assign ddfix and thief itself to different cores? That would improve performance.

No, ddfix is just a wrapper and all it does is calls to d3d, so there's no benefit from having different threads on different cores. Most likely it would be slower and/or less reliable.

I never actually looked at the code for version 1.1.1, but I assume there's no reason why it should use any more CPU cycles. Heavy CPU load might indicate that everything's not working quite right.

Is there any way to get this working with the newest version of ddfix included with the taffer fix?

Quote Originally Posted by jjjayb View Post
    Is there any way to get this working with the newest version of ddfix included with the taffer fix?
    No.

Last edited by partol; 30th Sep 2012 at 07:16.

Can you uninstall ddfix or do I need to do a clean install of thief?

Install and Setup your "usual" 3D driver
    For Nvidia 3D, TriDef 3D, and iZ3D users, be sure that 3D is setup and working properly in other games before trying to setup Thief 1/2 in 3D.
    If you have TriDef 3D, then no need to install iZ3D.

Thief 2 in 3D:
    1. install Thief 2 with Tafferpatcher and DO NOT INSTALL DDFix.
    2. download and install patch v1.19
    3. To enable anti-aliasing, change cam_ext.cfg
    TO multisampletype 8
    4. (May be required on some systems) rename 'thief2.exe' to 'thief3.exe' (if you wish, also update the Thief 2 desktop shortcut)
    5. start Thief 2. The main menu is 2D. Don't worry. game maps will look 3D.

I have tested your method and it works fine with Tridef. During installation I checked everything in Tafferpatcher, except DDFix. The graphics look excellent and combined with 3D sound they offer an unforgettable experience. The generic profile is sufficient in XP and there is no need to rename the exe. You just open the game through Tridef and it is recognized instantly. Thanks to patch 1.19 it works in my desktop's native resolution (1920x1080). I already installed the first FM with Darkloader and had no problems.

Many years ago I used to play Thief 2 in 3D using the following configuration: Edimensional glasses (page flip) + ATI card + VRCaddy XP + CRT monitor. Since my hardware changed, it was impossible to play the game in 3D.

I want to thank you.

P.S. It is a sad thing that TDS is not recognized at all by the Tridef driver.
    Last edited by zik; 19th Oct 2012 at 06:36.

Amazing! A massive "thank you" to all responsible for this, it works for me with 3D Vision hardware. I did have to rename to Thief3.exe (for both Thief 2 and Shock 2), and I have to manually activate 3d Vision with CTRL+T or the emitter button (and I can confirm it works with BenQ XL2420TX monitor with built-in emitter). If anyone else is seeing glitches when you move very close to a wall, this can be minimised using 3D Vision's 'cycle frustum adjustment' keyboard shortcut - it cycles through three options, the most extreme one eliminates the glitches entirely for me, but I think it stretches the image slightly - might be OK for Thief but in Shock2 it moves the edges of your HUD off screen so the middle setting is probably best.

Couple of issues: I constantly have an IZ3D error message in the top-left corner: "can't find stereo device." Anyone know how to get rid of it? And neither the 3D Vision nor IZ3D crosshairs work, a non-issue for Thief but could be a problem in SS2.

I'm really absolutely delighted about this, the games look great in 3D. Maybe I don't need my stockpile of 7900GTXs, e-d glasses & CRT monitor any more!

P.S. It is a sad thing that TDS is not recognized at all by the Tridef driver.
    Yeah, I tried it too a while ago and got nowhere. Works well in 3D Vision, but if you're a Tridef user that's probably no use to you. Have you tried IZ3D?

EDIT: the Nvidia + IZ3D solution works with Nvidia Surround too. I just had it working on three monitors at 5850x1080 in SS2. Plays hell with the HUD though
    Last edited by VanBurenPhilips; 22nd Nov 2012 at 12:32.

Partol or anyone else using IZ3D + 3D Vision, don't you get the "can't find stereo device" message in the corner of your screen?

Quote Originally Posted by VanBurenPhilips View Post
    Partol or anyone else using IZ3D + 3D Vision, don't you get the "can't find stereo device" message in the corner of your screen?
    Yes, but not anymore. I'm not at home so I can't check, but in the options for the iz3d there is an option for turning off messages or something of the sort. I'll check it when I get home if you can't find it. By the way, thanks for the cycle frustrum adjustment tip. That is the one thing that I didn't like was the glitch when close to the wall.

Just got home. The setting is under the advanced settings on the iz3d panel. Click advanced, then go to game specific settings. There is an option there to "show on screen messages" that needs to be unchecked to make it go away.

Thanks! I feel silly for missing that, thanks for your help
    So great to see these games in 3D at last, I'm gonna have to find time to play them all again. Just had a quick look at Thief 2, my stars are not at 'sky' depth, I'm sure I've seen this mentioned before. Is it fixable?

Quote Originally Posted by VanBurenPhilips View Post
    Thanks! I feel silly for missing that, thanks for your help
    So great to see these games in 3D at last, I'm gonna have to find time to play them all again. Just had a quick look at Thief 2, my stars are not at 'sky' depth, I'm sure I've seen this mentioned before. Is it fixable?
    It's not fixable as far as I'm aware of. I'm almost finished with my playthrough of Thief in 3d. Same problem with the stars there too, but it wasn't that big of an issue for me. The game is incredible in 3d. I've played through countless times, but none were as immersive as playing through this time in 3d. Like a new game.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjayb View Post
    Like a new game.
    Yeah... I felt the same when I first got into this 'new' wave of 3D gear (I messed with PC shutter glasses years ago, but didn't play much other than GTA3. Still got them). I replayed Thief 3 and SWAT4, in 3D for the first time. The new sense of spatial awareness was just incredible, and it made the environments feel like much bigger spaces (very noticeable in SWAT, because it's generally brighter and has lots of pokey little rooms that suddenly had volume). Thief 3's not the best fit for 3D because it's so dark (and blue!) but it still worked really well. The Hammers' church was a highlight (overlooking the chapel, or outside looking down through the buttresses - looks amazing).

I have a question. Is TriDef any better than iZ3D for Thief 2? Doesn't TriDef use a launcher where you start TriDef and then choose the Thief exe? How would that even work to play fan missions through Darkloader? Does TriDef look any better than IZ3D?

I have another question about iZ3D. I installed the IZ3D 1.3 drivers as stated above but this is what it says about these drivers on their website: "Users may continue using the free Anaglyph output, but all other outputs will cease to function after the 30-day trial." Does this mean that after 30 days the output mode of IZ3D Monitor will stop working?
    Last edited by cavador_8; 21st Jan 2013 at 13:57.

Quote Originally Posted by cavador_8 View Post
    I have a question. Is TriDef any better than iZ3D for Thief 2? Doesn't TriDef use a launcher where you start TriDef and then choose the Thief exe? How would that even work to play fan missions through Darkloader? Does TriDef look any better than IZ3D?

I have another question about iZ3D. I installed the IZ3D 1.3 drivers as stated above but this is what it says about these drivers on their website: "Users may continue using the free Anaglyph output, but all other outputs will cease to function after the 30-day trial." Does this mean that after 30 days the output mode of IZ3D Monitor will stop working?
    Hasn't stopped working for me. I've been using it for several months.

What about Win8?, iZ3d crash.

Well, I can't get Shock2 to work with 3d vision. If I just run the game (with 2.4 patch) and enable stereo (ctrl-t), the emmitter starts working, but there's no second image for a different eye (as in all old games). If I rename shock2.exe to thief3.exe (i've also tried hl2.exe and dx2.exe), the game starts to run with 1 frame per 10 seconds. No 3d though anyway.

What the hell?

The trick with renaming the exe'file worked fine with Deus Ex 1 with d3d10 renderer.

DDD and iZ3D is not an option because my display is not supported (I've spent hours trying to figure it out).
    ASUS VG278, GeForce GTX465, Quadro 600, Win7-64, latest drivers

Could someone put up a youtube video of this? I'm interested, but I don't wanna uninstall/reinstall unless I love it because of all the hassle I had to go through to get T2 working in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Valet2 View Post
    DDD and iZ3D is not an option because my display is not supported (I've spent hours trying to figure it out).
    It is currently not possible to play Thief 1/2 and System Shock 2 in 3D with only Nvidia 3D.
    The only ways to play in 3D are:

1. TriDef 3D
    or
    2. iZ3D
    or
    3. Nvidia 3D + iZ3D
    or
    4. (not sure about this) Nvidia 3D + TriDef 3D

since iZ3D is free (and Tridef 3D is not free), use iZ3D with your Nvidia 3D glasses. Do you have Nvidia 3D glasses?
    I am almost certain that iZ3D does not check which monitor you have.
    If your monitor is compatible with Nvidia 3D, then it should also work with iZ3D.
    During installation, select "iZ3D Monitor (free)" and it should work.
    Last edited by partol; 24th Mar 2013 at 15:21.

Well, as I said, it doesn't work.

I have a 120 Hz display with built-in infra-red emitter, and active shutter-glasses nvidia 3d vision 2 with infra-red receiver. I've tried almost any combination with iz3d and tridef. Only the crosshair is in stereo.

If you can play it in 3d please write step-by-step instruction, whether the stereo is enabled in nvidia control panel, what did you chose in iz3d, what videocard and driver version, what display and glasses. Anything that could help.
    Last edited by Valet2; 19th May 2013 at 14:57.

oculus rift + thief gold

Currently there is a way to play Thief on Oculus Rift Devkit as well. Here's how (though these instructions may only be valid a short time as programs for the rift is changing often. ).

So far the only Thief Game I've played on my rift is Thief Gold, so that's what this will focus on.

1. install the game as detailed in the first post of this thread. (I got ThiefGold from gog.com because I'm giving my old cds a well deserved rest.)
    2. Install Deskope, I used Deskope 1.1 found here https://developer.oculusvr.com/forum...hp?f=29&t=1505
    3. install Tridef ( I used the free trial version with a 14 day time limit for this)
    4. Start Deskope
    5. start Tridef

Using Deskope on it's own allows you to play windowed thief in the usual 2D output using the Oculus Rift. Tridef brings the stereoscopic 3D to the party.

Start the Thief game to set the resolution to match your screen resolution (I use 1920*1200), make sure the numpad keys and the up arrow is not bound to any functions or use under game controls and then close the game.

Go to edit cam_ext.cfg and remove the « ; » in front of « force_windowed» to enable windowed mode.

Thing is, Deskope wants to play the game in windowed mode, Tridef on the other hand, wants to start side by side 3d games in fullscreen mode.
    So You have to start the game in windowed mode and change to Tridef's side by side view, after the game's started.

Start Deskope.

Start Tridef, if it does not detect Thiefgold, add it manually, and chose «Generic» 3d profile.

Start Thief in Tridef. Then start a new game. Once playing press 0 to enter Tridef options, using the numpad keys to navigate the menu, chose left/right 3d output. Exit menu. Now you see a screen with two images side by side.

Now, look straight ahead with your Rift to position your head inside the game. press shift + alt + * to make Deskope center the screen. Then while keeping this head position still, press shift + alt + arrow up to make deskope lock your head position inside the game to Garrett's head position. This will also put the two images that were side by side, together, turning Thief into stereoscopic 3D.

Now you can just by by turning your own head, look up and down and all around inside Thief, in stereoscopic 3d. Now you can be Garrett

My Deskope settings look like this

The Deskope 1.1 requires monitors to be set to extended mode to work in windows 8.
    In windows 7 which I'm using, Deskope can have monitors set to duplicate screens mode.
    Last edited by Opal-Eyed Fan; 27th Jul 2013 at 04:29.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    the only thing worse than that wallpaper is your traitorousness to fallout

and on steam, no less! for shame

Quote Originally Posted by Valet2 View Post
    Well, I can't get Shock2 to work with 3d vision. If I just run the game (with 2.4 patch) and enable stereo (ctrl-t), the emmitter starts working, but there's no second image for a different eye (as in all old games). If I rename shock2.exe to thief3.exe (i've also tried hl2.exe and dx2.exe), the game starts to run with 1 frame per 10 seconds. No 3d though anyway.

What the hell?

The trick with renaming the exe'file worked fine with Deus Ex 1 with d3d10 renderer.

I also have Asus VG278 monitor and GTX 480 graphics card, and I got 3D Vision 2 working with System Shock 2 (and Thief Gold also, for that matter).

Basically, I renamed SHOCK2.EXE to THIEF3.EXE, and I got 3D Vision display right away.

To get rid of the "Can't detect stereo display" error message, I set iZ3D Output to "anaglyph". The error would be gone, but the screen would the show red/cyan effect on top of the 3D Vision effect. I disabled "enable stereo at application startup", and the red/cyan effect would be gone also.

Click here to see my screen capture (Alt-F1) of System Shock 2 in 3D Vision. 3D Vision Photo Viewer is required.

One caveat about iZ3D is that it makes 3D Vision Photo Viewer crash on startup. You have to disable the iZ3D driver in the iZ3D control panel to fix that. Of course, you need to re-enable it to play the games with 3D Vision.
    Last edited by GamingPhreak; 30th Dec 2013 at 17:45.