TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug with air tower lift

Bug with air tower lift

I'm playing the version of Thief Gold that is being sold on GOG.com and I've just run into what seems like a bug in the air tower of the mage level. Apparently there is supposed to be a lift on the second floor that takes you to the third floor only there isn't one in my game. So basically I have no idea how to proceed. I don't have any rope arrows left or I'd try shooting the ceiling but I'm not even sure that would work.

Is there any way to fix this/proceed without having to restart the level? Course, I don't even know if that would fix things.

jtr7
    A classic glitch, I'm afraid. Hopefully there's been a fan-fix, otherwise you can try an earlier save, restart (Ugh!), or press Alt+Ctrl+Shift+End once you are ready to skip to the next mission.

Or send me your save game and I'll fix it for you.

jtr7

Thanks Haplo, but I decided to restart the level and I've just now completed the air tower. Looks like everything's working fine now.

jtr7
    Whew! Glad to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
    Or send me your save game and I'll fix it for you.
    Hi, sorry for necro'ing this thread. I seem to hit the same bug. Can I take on your offer instead? I can't seem to send you a PM though, so if you are willing to help me, please kindly advise on how I should send you the save game file. Is it through e-mail or should I upload it somewhere?

New users can't send pms until a certain number of posts have been made. I've sent a message for you but you might well get other offers before Haplo gets the pm.

Quote Originally Posted by tarangwydion View Post
    Hi, sorry for necro'ing this thread. I seem to hit the same bug. Can I take on your offer instead? I can't seem to send you a PM though, so if you are willing to help me, please kindly advise on how I should send you the save game file. Is it through e-mail or should I upload it somewhere?
    No problem. I will send you a private message soon.

I have not received a PM. I suppose for new users that is also limited until a certain number of post? Anyway, I uploaded the file to rapidshare:
    https://rapidshare.com/files/4002142...0008.sav?bin=1

I have not received a PM. I suppose for new users that is also limited until a certain number of post? Anyway, I uploaded the file to rapidshare:
    https://rapidshare.com/files/4002142...0008.sav?bin=1
    Yep, that's right.
    I'll look at your save game tonight.

Yep, that's right.
    I'll look at your save game tonight.
    Many thanks in advance

Many thanks in advance
    Here you go: http://www.sendbigfiles.com/ea2d3dd8...8b9358243a51e/
    Let me know if you have any problems.

Here you go: http://www.sendbigfiles.com/ea2d3dd8...8b9358243a51e/
    Let me know if you have any problems.
    Haplo, I tried the save file, but loading it crashes the game to the desktop (Windows XP).
    I am using the Thief Gold from GOG.com, applied voodoo47's TFix patch (only for the ddfix and nothing else).

I have to run now, will post again later.

I've tried a few more times and the game still crashes. I notice that the name of the quick.sav is "From Editor." May I know which editor it is you are using?

I've tried a few more times and the game still crashes. I notice that the name of the quick.sav is "From Editor." May I know which editor it is you are using?
    It says "From Editor" because I used DromEd to fix it for you.
    Private messaging is now activated for your account, I'll send you a PM tonight with some suggestions.

tarangwydion: There is a way past the air tower bug. You can enter the top of the fire tower (which key you will get from the air tower) through the door from the central tower I think. I don't remember exactly where the door is. Below is an excerpt from my walkthrough written years back. Hopefully this can help you if that savegame doesn't work.

"It is actually possible to enter the top floor of the fire tower from the outside, without ever having entered the other towers. It involves transmigration of the door (an engine exploit) and is therefore illegal in both Supreme and Ghost (only legal as a last resort in the latter). Using Lytha’s penetration method, one can easily get halfway through the metal door. Lean to the left while holding this position and you can reach the inside lever. Quickly move away and the door will open after a second. This might be interesting for players looking to improve their best time for the mission, or players with custom Ghosting rules. It is also a way past the infamous bug in the Air Tower."
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Since I am new to Thief Gold (so far I have only completed Thief: Deadly Shadows), I am not sure what Supreme and/or Ghost rules are. Also, you mentioned "(which key you will get from the air tower)" but then I encounter this bug right before the room in which the aforementioned key is located. It is rather hard to explain, and perhaps if you load my save game above it is better to see the situation.

By the way, may I have the link to your walkthrough?

Anyway, when all fail I guess I'll just restart that mission in a day or two. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Ah, silly me. The link is in your footer, isn't it?

EDIT 2: What is Lytha’s penetration method?

Ghost/Supreme Ghost means playing by the official rules outlined here. For me, that is the only way to play Thief and truly be challenged.
    I meant that at the top of the air tower you get the key to get into the bottom door of the fire tower. If you manage to transmigrate that door to reach the unlocking mechanism inside, then you won't have skipped that much since that was the next tower to go to anyway.
    Yes my website is in the footer. I have walkthroughs for all of Thief Gold and Ghost reports from T2, T2X and tons of FMs.
    Again I also recommend Tarvis79's playlists for how to solve any of the mission, if you are more of a visual learned that is.
    Lytha's penetration method is a way to partly or completely force yourself through closed doors. It is named after her since she discovered and outlined the method. She describes how to do it completely with use of a rope arrow here. However, the door in question only needs accurate leaning and mouse movements, no rope arrow. I have described a similar method in Thief Gold Mission 2 in my walkthrough, towards the end. I there lean through a banner to get some bottles on the other side.

Sounds like it is well worth to try! I will give it a try later and post the outcome tomorrow! Thanks!

@Haplo,

I just sent you a PM, but I am not sure it went through. This forum software is a bit strange for me. Anyway, in case you did not receive it, the fix worked! Editing the config file solved the crash, and if I may say so that is a ladder most beautiful!

@klatremus

Haplo sent me a PM to fix the crash yesterday, so I have not tried the Lytha's penetration method yet, but I save a copy of your Thief Gold walkthrough.

Many thanks you guys!

Administrator
    I just sent you a PM, but I am not sure it went through. This forum software is a bit strange for me.
    We limit it to reduce the amount of spam that can be sent by automated bots. You should be fine to send PMs now, but glad to know the fix worked for you and enjoy the game!

Happy to help! Hope you enjoy Thief Gold!

Thanks. I'll be sure to check your Thief II: The Metal Age walkthrough as well when I have finished Thief Gold and felt ready to continue with it in the future.

I have always wanted to try these two games for a long time, although until GOG.com sells them they were not really accessible to me. My previous exposure to the series, as I mentioned above, was with Thief: Deadly Shadows. I had a bit of a problem in the beginning with Thief Gold, due to my motion/simulator sickness with first-person perspective games (I played Thief: Deadly Shadows strictly with third-person perspective, just like in the Splinter Cell series), especially with the head-bobbing, but after one or two days I got used to it already, and now it no longer is a problem. Still, my real life schedule only permits me an hour or so everyday to play games, so it might be a while before I finish both games. Anyway, once again thanks guys for all the help

No problem and have fun!

Just a note. My site doesn't offer walkthroughs for Thief 2, only Ghost reports, explaining trouble-spots while attempting to play following the official Ghost rules. Making the walkthroughs for Thief Gold got to be too extensive of a job, so I cut down on the workload for T2.