TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Day Z (Arma 2 mod)

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, I fixed that soon after posting.
    rocket's failure to communicate once again scuppers the audience. His notes on 1.7.1 didn't go beyond, and I quote:
    This update will REQUIRE the beta patch, so it is worth installing this now and getting used to it. It's pretty easy.
    No link, no indication as to how, nothing, just "It's pretty easy." Christ, the guy can be a right condescending prick at times.
    Of course, I get it back up and running only to find they've "Fixed" the gamma/brightness/post-processing/HDR tweak that actually made playing at night viable. Now all scenery is once again a solid black silhouette.
    Found a daytime server only to be confronted with zombies buried up to their waists.
    Jeeeeeesus.

At least you get a flashlight now, the arma2 beta is the cause of the increased darkness apparently.

Thing What Kicks
    Not my guy. A box of painkillers, a bandage and that's it.

1.7.1 had a few bugs, i couldn't log in att all. 1.7.1.1 made everything better though.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Not my guy. A box of painkillers, a bandage and that's it.
    It's in your backpack. If you are playing on a server when the moon is out - max bight/gamma and turn off shadows, it's somewhat playable at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahris View Post
    1.7.1 had a few bugs, i couldn't log in att all. 1.7.1.1 made everything better though.
    There is a hilarious new bug with 1.7.1.1, food/drink doesn't spawn anymore (except occasionally on zombie corpses). At the moment the only way to survive with a new char is to find a gun, matchbook, knife, axe, and canteen so you can hunt animals. And you have to do it all before you run out of your initial dose of food/drink. :-)

Thing What Kicks
    Yup, I just died of dehydration and hunger because of that bug. Don't think I'll be playing this until that's fixed, or maybe it's by design? If so, fuck that for a game of soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by MustardCat View Post
    There is a hilarious new bug with 1.7.1.1, food/drink doesn't spawn anymore (except occasionally on zombie corpses). At the moment the only way to survive with a new char is to find a gun, matchbook, knife, axe, and canteen so you can hunt animals. And you have to do it all before you run out of your initial dose of food/drink. :-)
    I'd better find me a goat then And not die leaving the Stary sobor military camp where i'm currently located... :P

Pending Hotfix: Build 1.7.1.2
    Changelog:
    * [NEW] Tone Mapping to enhance nightlighting conditions
    * [FIXED] Generic Loot not spawning (such as food etc...)
    * [FIXED] Animals stand still and HURR DURRR (they now walk around)
    * [FIXED] New blood values not being saved when a player eats (they do now)
    * [FIXED] Duplicate players not being removed (should now be removed on login)
    * [NEW] Melee Weapon introduced: Hatchet (can only drop through right click in gear menu)
    * [NEW] Maximum animals increased
    * [NEW] Melee Weapon introduced: Crowbar (can only drop through right click in gear menu)

Text in bold is for Malf
    I think Rocket's doing a great job on the updates while keeping balance between alpha testing and keeping the mod playable. His general attitude and the fact that community input is a factor for him has given me a lot of respect for him. I think the mod will only get better even if it takes time, which is understandable considering it's just a mod that's already trying to be more than a mod.
    Last edited by Ahris; 18th Jun 2012 at 18:56.

Thing What Kicks
    Oooooo, melee

El Shagmeister

Ooooh....we should definitively reform the team, no, Malf?

w00t!

The hatchet is a really good weapon, i brought the apocalypse to the zombies with one yesterday.
    I'm really happy about the changes, there are a few glitches in the new AI but i haven't had any problems surviving them even though i went melee on their asses.
    The game now gives you a reason to use your rifle, smoke grenades and flares in a different and mor active way than before, i think it's great. For me, the game has never been more fun.

I let my friend have a go with my character, which I had at Novy Sobor, and that I'd been doing really well with. He came around and really wanted to try Day Z, a lot, and I owe him big time for the pc I have, so I couldn't say no.

Within 30 seconds he had run to a village and aggroed everything. Another 30 seconds and all my ammo was gone. A minute later he was dead.

gg

So I had the best session of DayZ yesterday that I don't think I'll ever top.

Helicopter vs Helicopter.

Very nice. It makes me want to get into DayZ.

Looks like you've got a nice group.

I don't know which one you were, but here's a fun tip for taking down a helicopter if you have a clean shot: The tail rotor is the weak spot. A few well place hits and it will lose control.

Taking a break
    Shouldn't that depend on the helicopter type?

I'm too used to facing Russian aircraft so I loaded up the editor with a flying Huey and it is a lot tougher. Aiming for the tail rotor seems to be the best bet if you can't get a good hit on the pilot. It doesn't work too well with a sniper rifle, though.

Another episode.

OK, I promised I wouldn't watch any more DayZ series, but now I have to watch the rest of this one. Especially to find out how you folks seem to have the run of the place, doing gillie suit raids on castles etc.
    -bus stowaway get himself into surrender position- "What do we do with this guy?" *bang* "Oops!"

Any TTLG folks still playing this? Watched some youtube vids and this looks pretty fun. Not sure if I have much interest in Arma 2 (is it any good on it's own?), but I'd make the buy for some zombie fun.

Edit: Been pretty entertained watching this series: The Days Ahead
    Last edited by Brethren; 16th Aug 2012 at 20:47.

I'm still playing dayz, one of the best game concepts fuckin ever. Now that it has become so popular though the hacking is getting outta hand. Twice in 2 hours I was teleported(along with every other player on the server) to the top of the map, and then dropped.
    Sounds like a bit of a laugh, but not so funny when its a 3 week old character that has really good gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Any TTLG folks still playing this? Watched some youtube vids and this looks pretty fun. Not sure if I have much interest in Arma 2 (is it any good on it's own?), but I'd make the buy for some zombie fun.

Edit: Been pretty entertained watching this series: The Days Ahead
    ArmA 2 is a lot of fun for me, but of course it's a matter of taste. It's heavy on the simulation side of being a soldier, in the mission design -- you're moving very tactically in an open space (in the sense of not a corridor shooter); if you raise your head at the wrong time you're toast; you're radioing in some mix of arcane orders... You can see most of the actual gameplay in the videos I think. If that kind of thing sounds interesting, you'd like it.

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    I'm still playing dayz, one of the best game concepts fuckin ever. Now that it has become so popular though the hacking is getting outta hand. Twice in 2 hours I was teleported(along with every other player on the server) to the top of the map, and then dropped.
    Sounds like a bit of a laugh, but not so funny when its a 3 week old character that has really good gear.
    Happened to me once too. My friend Alt+F4'd as soon as he realized what was going on, and avoided death that way.

Played a little bit last night - wow, it's pretty intense, especially playing solo. Between the threat of zombies, other players, and just starving to death, it's pretty much the most realistic survival game I've played to date. And the permadeath really motivates you to stay alive, even with minimal gear on a newerish player. Still, I think I died in my first five attempts or so before I even found an item to pick up. So far it seems like 90% of the game is running, which I suppose is pretty damn realistic (for a zombie game anyway).

Great fun, can't wait to get back to it. I initially picked a server with low population so I could get my bearings without getting PKed, but I imagine the servers with 40-50 people are quite a trip.

Edit: Also, love the Stalkerish feel of the environment, makes it all that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    ArmA 2 is a lot of fun for me, but of course it's a matter of taste. It's heavy on the simulation side of being a soldier, in the mission design -- you're moving very tactically in an open space (in the sense of not a corridor shooter); if you raise your head at the wrong time you're toast; you're radioing in some mix of arcane orders... You can see most of the actual gameplay in the videos I think. If that kind of thing sounds interesting, you'd like it.
    For a reason. The game was designed as much for use by the military (their version is called "Virtual Battle Space") as it is for civilian use. Realism is more of a priority for them than entertainment.