TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EURO 2012! (8.6. - 1.7.2012)

I couldn't care less about the Portuguese team. My 'rule' for international tournaments is always to support Germany (and Argentina in the world cup), and wish the worst possible for England and Spain. But seriously, is diving/faking injuries an exclusive of the Portuguese? Are we talking about the same tournament where there's a Spanish team filled with Barcelona players?

I think we've all got our own pet divers but diving teams? I'll add Greece and Croatia to those two.

And tonight our viewing choice will probably be Croatia v Spain on the basis that all the theatrics can be very entertaining.

And in other news, Bendtner has been fined 100,000 for showing his pants. Quite right too.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Arcy View Post
    But seriously, is diving/faking injuries an exclusive of the Portuguese? Are we talking about the same tournament where there's a Spanish team filled with Barcelona players?
    Oh, of course it's not just the Portuguese who do it. Greece, Italy and Spain are just as bad, and I bet that all teams have some cheaters and divers. I'm paying more attention than normally to all the fouls in the matches with any of those four teams playing, and I secretly love to moan about any dives that I see.

It's usually just one or two annoying players too who ruin the reputation of the whole team... for Portugal that just happens to be Pepe, a violent thug and a cheater that I despise more than any other footballer at the moment. I used to dislike Cristiano Ronaldo a lot, but I think he has grown up a bit - he's not the same cheater that he used to be, he occasionally stays on his feet nowadays. I still don't like his arrogant attitude and the goddamn annoying freekick stance.

I'd love to moan about Spain too, especially because Andrés Iniesta won my prestigious "Most Annoying Player" award in the previous World Cup for his diving antics, but apart from the occasional over-dramatized fall (that just about every team is guilty of every now and then), I think that the whole Spanish team has behaved quite nicely so far. Let's reassess the situation when the important games begin... (today?)

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    And in other news, Bendtner has been fined 100,000 for showing his pants. Quite right too.
    €100,000 isn't much for a top-level footballer nowadays, but when you compare that to other recent UEFA fines, I think it's just ridiculous and wrong. So, Bendtner gets a personal €100,000 fine for showing his pants on telly (OMG!) for about two seconds... At the same time, UEFA hits the Russian and Polish football associations with a smaller fine for the truly disgusting acts of hooliganism before the RUS-POL match. Same goes for racist behaviour or crowd violence or setting off fireworks (etc) during matches, the fines that UEFA have given for those have been truly ridiculous. Things like this just make me feel angry, and sadly it shows where UEFA/FIFA's priorities lie.

Yeah, I agree with that. Obviously when you put it in context it doesn't make sense and with a ban as well, seems excessive punishment. In UK football, a player is given a yellow card if he takes his shirt off when celebrating a goal which, with a smaller fine for the advertising, would have seemed more appropriate. I'm assuming the fine was for the advertising and the one-game ban for doing it. But it's excessive despite the fact they were truly horrible pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    Hahaha, that's absolutely hilarious! Thanks for posting it... *goes off to share the link all over the internet*
    It's already over 1 mln

The fine was justified. They have an exclusive deal with a betting agency and the Bendner was advertising another one, not even mentioning that all forms of advertising by players is explicitly banned.

The hooliganism stuff is a bit weird, what is the associations supposed to do, when fans go apeshit? What is their power in this? They're slapped with fines, so I guess they must have some kind of possibilities to affect it?

I can't see how an £80,000 fine for unathorised advertising compared to one of £16,700 for racism can ever be justified. Some other fines issued by Uefa.

Behind closed doors policy for fans and swine flu. In the UK, clubs, fan clubs and police work together to find and ban those responsible. Five Swansea City fans banned in April and Four . . . fans banned in June. So yes, if a club gets fined it's going to want to take action, and can.

I'm disappointed that Croatia have gone out.

I agree that the fines might not be comparable, but that's not the point. The problem is that the fines for racism etc. are too low or action to correct this is not pressed enough.

Besides, does it come as any surprise that UEFA defends it's monetary interests with more vigor?

Not at all! Uefa always seem to have a lot to answer for. And I misunderstood you so I'm glad that's sorted!

Tonight I think we might watch England v Ukraine and there's absolutely no sneaking wish on my part that Rooney will fall flat on his face because that would be disloyal and unpatriotic.

Edit: So Croatia have been fined 80,000 euros for Mario Balotelli racial abuse. That's a bit better.
    Last edited by nickie; 19th Jun 2012 at 13:28.

Group D for dull.

At least England is through, and will now face only 'marginally easier' opposition in Italy.

Sympathy Cup round 3 update!

GROUP A:
    +5 Czech Rep.
    +4 Greece
    +3 Russia
    +1 Poland

GROUP B:
    +8 Denmark
    +5 Netherlands
    +3 Germany
    -5 Portugal

GROUP C:
    +8 Croatia
    +5 Rep. of Ireland
    -2 Spain
    -3 Italy

GROUP D:
    +7 Ukraine
    +2 Sweden
    +1 France
    -1 England

Portugal:
    -1 Annoying Player Penalty! (Nani)

Greece:
    +1 Underdog Bonus! (once again everyone underestimated them, but here they are in the quarter finals...)
    -1 Cheating Bastards Penalty! (faking injuries at the end to waste time)

Ukraine:
    +1 Shev's Swansong Bonus! (this was apparently his last match for Ukraine)
    +1 Bad Refereeing Bonus! (denied a clear goal vs England)
    +1 Happy Ukraine Kid Bonus! (perhaps not so happy now that Ukraine are out, but this brought a smile on my face: http://www.kyivpost.com/content/spor...m-meeting.html)

Ireland:
    +1 Cool Fans Bonus!

Croatia:
    +1 Fighting Spirit Bonus! (I thought they were great and a bit unlucky vs Spain)

Denmark:
    +1 Fighting Spirit Bonus! (I thought they were great and a bit unlucky vs Germany...)

England:
    -1 Boring Football Penalty! (Roy, I like you, but come on, playing for 0-0 from the kick off?)

Sweden:
    +1 Too Little Too Late Bonus! (convincing victory against France, played some good football... too bad they were already out)

So now that the Czechs are out as well after losing to Portugal, all of my favourite teams have been knocked out during the last few days. What next? I'm definitely jumping on the German bandwagon now, as I don't really like any of the other remaining teams. Except for Greece maybe, but either Germany or Greece will be out tomorrow as they play against each other, and I just can't see Greece winning that game... wouldn't be the first time they prove me wrong though!

Portugal were the better team today and really deserved to go through, especially after the pathetic display from the Czech team on the second half. And apart from CRonaldo's annoying goal celebrations and the occasional glimpses of annoyance by Coentrao (sp?) I didn't find Portugal too annoying, so despite of them being at the bottom of my Sympathy Cup rankings now, I think I'd still rather see them win this tournament instead of Spain or Italy for example...

As for the England vs Ukraine match the other day, I was really surprised to see Roy Hodgson's (England manager) approach for that game. I thought that they would be a bit more positive after the Sweden game, but they looked like they were just going for a 0-0 draw straight from the kick off against a team that should be weaker in just about everything. I felt a bit sorry for the goal line referee whose only job is to confirm whether the ball goes inside the goal or not, and then the big moment comes and the guy makes a wrong decision. But I felt even more sorry for the Ukrainians who were robbed off a goal, and played so well that they would have at least deserved a draw (if not a win) from the game.

They really need to introduce some goal line technology in the game now, video cameras or some microchip inside the ball, or something, but I'll still be a bit sad when that happens. And I don't even know what's so sad about that.

Sympathy Cup round 3 update!
    Greece:
    +1 Underdog Bonus! (once again everyone underestimated them, but here they are in the quarter finals...)
    -1 Cheating Bastards Penalty! (faking injuries at the end to waste time)
    Any chance you can give Greece an extra +1 for Karagounis' reaction to getting a yellow card for diving? It made me laugh for the rest of the evening.

Edit - Definitely agree about England being boring, I nearly fell asleep watching that game.

But I felt even more sorry for the Ukrainians who were robbed off a goal, and played so well that they would have at least deserved a draw (if not a win) from the game.

They really need to introduce some goal line technology in the game now, video cameras or some microchip inside the ball, or something, but I'll still be a bit sad when that happens. And I don't even know what's so sad about that.
    Let's not forget that the first pass was offside, so it's not quite as clear cut as 'a disallowed goal'. Nevertheless, doesn't take away from the fact that we need some sort of goal line technology - and pronto.

They're a bit on the slow side though. Sepp Blatter said he was going to reopen the debate back in 2010.

It is obvious that after the experiences so far at this World Cup it would be a nonsense not to reopen the file on goal-line technology," stated Blatter.
    I thought the offside in England v Ukraine was more obvious than that when I was watching but perhaps that's the camera angle in that clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian The Dog View Post
    Any chance you can give Greece an extra +1 for Karagounis' reaction to getting a yellow card for diving? It made me laugh for the rest of the evening.
    Heh, that reaction is quite funny. I hadn't actually seen that before as I chose to watch the Czech vs Poland game instead of Greece vs Russia.

However, in Karagounis' defence, I wouldn't be so sure that it was a dive actually, there was some contact with the Russian defender and him. Over-dramatized fall perhaps, but doesn't almost everyone do that nowadays...

And this brings us nicely to another topic: What's up with the referees' "no red cards and definitely no penalties" policy? There were two red cards and one penalty in the opening game of the tournament, but after that, nothing (unless I'm forgetting something). I must admit that there has been hardly any dirty tackles or incidents that would have warranted a red card, but Sergio Ramos' (Spain) dangerous tackle on Mario Mandzukic (Croatia) for example should have been a red card in my opinion, or at least a yellow. But Ramos didn't even get booked, because luckily for him the incident happened inside the penalty area... Perhaps the referees are now too scared to send players off after the red card fiasco in the Poland v Greece match (where the Greek player should never have been sent off), but you would expect professional referees to have balls to make their own decisions.

That is all.

I woke up at 4:30am to watch Spain-France. And what a boring match it was.

Yeah, I'm definitely not a Spain supporter. I surely hope they won't win the tournament with their boring as hell let's-not-take-any-chances 1-0-is-more-than-enough football. They get results, but it's no fun at all to watch. I'm rooting for Germany or England I think.

It's definitely shaping up to win the most boring tournament prize. On the other hand, the European Grand Prix was FUN and I'm pleased for Alonso winning on home ground.

Edit. Klinsmann is great!
    Last edited by nickie; 24th Jun 2012 at 14:18.

Thank god England is out. It reminds me of when Germany was uberboring in the nineties and early noughties, albeit they actually won stuff then as well.

I'm actually impressed England got as far as penalties in the quarter-finals, considering how poor their squad was. When Jordan Henderson comes on for your team, you know the quality is a bit low.

Right, because Alessandro Diamanti, last seen shitting up the Premier League with West Ham, is a real world-beater, isn't he?

It's nothing to do with the strength of the squad, which is as good as any other at these championships outside the Spanish and Germans, and everything to do with Hodgson's dinosaur tactics. It was crying out for 5 in midfield tonight to nullify Pirlo but the old man was allowed to stroll around the centre of the park like he owned it.

Certainly most teams I've watched so far kept the ball far better than England, and there was practically zero innovation going forwards either. I won't deny that Hodgson can be negative, but I can't imagine any coach would have made us champions.

The Premier League is great for entertainment and goals and action, but the technical skill on display isn't the greatest, certainly by the English players.

I agree with that - they couldn't keep hold of a ball to save their lives. I enjoyed it anyway and wasn't terribly disappointed. They need to get rid of Young though and someone else I can't remember now. It was clean, very few refereeing gaffs really, and Balotelli continues to rise in my human being estimation.

And I'm sorry Italy is beset by yet another scandal.