TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: EURO 2012! (8.6. - 1.7.2012)

Admittedly, Italy deservedly won that game in the end, but seriously? Penalties, again? I'm half expecting Ashton Kutcher to jump out and yell: "You've been punked!" As an added bonus, people would then probably proceed to punch Kutcher repeatedly in the face.

Ah well, at least Germany can now look for some payback...

Well I thought there might have been some sort of Tomi update by now.

I think we're rooting for Portugal on the basis that we'd like to see the planned Spain v Germany final upset by either Portugal or Italy or both. And I'm very pleased that the last 3 matches will be on BBC, so no adverts and lots of scintillating conversation from the pundits. And hopefully Alan Hansen will remain reasonably sober 'cos he was pissed as a fart the other night.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    Well I thought there might have been some sort of Tomi update by now.
    Me too! Sorry, been way too busy for the last few days.

Sympathy Cup quarter-final update!

Portugal vs Czech Republic:

Portugal (total -6 points)
    -1 CRonaldo Penalty! (he's like a mystery bag full of annoying surprises)
    +1 Guilty Bonus! (I felt a bit bad about having to give so many minus points for Portugal, they're hardly that annoying )

Czech Rep (total +4 points)
    -1 Boring Tactics Penalty! (maybe Portugal were just so much better, but the Czechs didn't even have any shots on target)

Spain vs France:

Spain (total -4 points)
    -1 Boring Tactics Penalty!
    -1 Annoying Player Penalty! (Cesc Fabregas)

France (total +0 points)
    -1 Annoying Player Penalty! (Samir Nasri)

Germany vs Greece:

Germany (total +4 points)
    +1 Nice Football Bonus! (4 goals vs Greece, an enjoyable match too)

Greece (total +6 points)
    +1 Fighting Spirit Bonus!
    +1 Nice Football Bonus! (good game vs Germany, they weren't even close to being the most defensive team in this tournament)

England vs Italy:

England (total +1 points)
    -1 Goalless Match Penalty! (first 0-0 game of the tournament, boo!)
    +1 Roy Sympathy Bonus!
    +1 Yet Another Penalty Shootout Loss Sympathy Bonus!
    +1 Great Defence Nickie Special Bonus!

Italy (total -3 points)
    -1 Goalless Match Penalty (first 0-0 game of the tournament, boo!)
    +1 Cool Player Bonus! (Andrea Pirlo - what a performance, and THAT penalty kick...)
    Last edited by Tomi; 27th Jun 2012 at 16:31.

So, the semi-finals look like this:

Portugal (-6) vs Spain (-4)

Germany (+4) vs Italy (-3)

It shouldn't be hard to guess what team I want to win Euro 2012 at this stage.

However, despite of Portugal having the most minus points, I kind of want them to surprise Spain in tonight's match. I just couldn't stand all the Spain hype for two more years if they go on and win the tournament. Germany vs Spain final would be a rather epic repeat of the 2008 final though...

And indeed, I want Germany to beat Italy in tomorrow's match. I'm quite happy to say that I like the current Italy team more than any other Italy team since 1994, but I still want to have a clear favourite in the final to make things a bit more exciting. In fact I haven't found any team that annoying so far (only some individual players) which is quite unusual but a good thing, I suppose. Hate will get you nowhere.

Fast and furious and the most entertaining match so far although starting to degrade into el classico cheatio.

Snippet of information from rubbish BBC commentators. The referee was selected by the head of UEFA referees who also happens to be head of the Spanish FA and is Spanish.

And thank you for the fine update though I think England could have had a +1 for a great defence.

+5 to Spain for denying Ronaldo the chance for a penalty shot

Thank you Tomi. But you know, poor old England no longer has a hero so perhaps they might deserve another sympathy bonus.

I thought that was a cracking match, full of drama and perhaps the first one to hold my interest all the way through. I think Portugal deserve a +1 for Ronaldo not crying. In fact, I liked him better in that match than pretty much any other I've seen recently.

I'm now reminded of and madly searching for a really excellent article written several years ago about the order in which penalty takers should take their penalties for the best results. I can't remember now what order it was supposed to be so can't make up my mind whether Portugal did or didn't read it.

Roll on Germany v Italy.

Edit. Fibreglass reveals his successful penalty-taking secret.
    Last edited by nickie; 28th Jun 2012 at 05:11.

Balls.

Still Subjective
    Well, at least the final will be amusing.

That was great. The Germans haven't been fucked that hard by a black dude since Jesse Owens, 1936.

Well, it seems you can always bank on England choking early and Germany always choking right towards the end.

What you all fail to realise is that this was a cunning ploy by the Germans to determine who will receive the next lot of bailout money.

That was a bit of a surprise. Still, the final should be fun and we'll probably be supporting Italy as underdog.

Congratulations to Spain.

England v Germany: Goal-line technology decision imminent.

Football's world governing body Fifa and other organisations are preparing to vote on something many fans of the game have been crying out for: goal-line technology (GLT).
    Apparently they're voting on Thursday with the choice being between Hawk-Eye (English) and Goalref (German).

Still Subjective
    At last.

What a final. I almost felt sorry for Italy, but then remembered everything and didn't

I am now officially taking credit for Spain's win. I was drinking Peroni for three days running after the Germany v Italy semi-final; on Sunday I switched to San Miguel.