TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415202530 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Run System Shock 1 on Windows 2000/XP FAQ v 1.0

::bump::

People keep saying this is stickied, but it is not.

Vorn

Quote Originally Posted by Fairlight
    Thanks alot, XenivouS.

I followed your article step by step and got System Shock up and running on my Athlon XP system! It runs great.

Glad to see that my FAQ is still helping people, I havent played SS1 and actually finished it yet and ive probably formatted my pc like 3x since ive written this FAQ, and since I havent had it installed on my system for quite some time ive forgotten alot about how to install it so i guess ill follow my own FAQ to get it up and running again lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Fairlight
    Thanks alot, XenivouS.

I followed your article step by step and got System Shock up and running on my Athlon XP system! It runs great.

Glad to see that my FAQ is still helping people, I havent played SS1 and actually finished it yet and ive probably formatted my pc like 3x since ive written this FAQ, and since I havent had it installed on my system for quite some time ive forgotten alot about how to install it so i guess ill follow my own FAQ to get it up and running again lol!

hi!
    i got following problem:when i start the (vdmsound) cdshock.exe i get into a dos window.there it says loading uddloader.dll successful,then successfully loaded and initialized,then nothing else happens,no starting of the game etc.

can someone help?

*edit* now it loads quite far,seems like it wants to start the game,but then *bump* black screen.
    i have seen,that it says that it cant find the nolfb.exe or that it is written wrong,but i wrote the things correctly in the cdshock.bat file...

someone knows a solution?
    Last edited by FrenZy; 3rd Jul 2004 at 16:43.

hi!
    i got following problem:when i start the (vdmsound) cdshock.exe i get into a dos window.there it says loading uddloader.dll successful,then successfully loaded and initialized,then nothing else happens,no starting of the game etc.

can someone help?

*edit* now it loads quite far,seems like it wants to start the game,but then *bump* black screen.
    i have seen,that it says that it cant find the nolfb.exe or that it is written wrong,but i wrote the things correctly in the cdshock.bat file...

someone knows a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by ethered
    I've looked around and haven't found my question answered well enough for me to fix it. :|

Salt the fries error 2004 (resource error/ couldn't find palette).
    Set files=30

I've read on Vogons that this means the cd couldn't be found?

I am pretty sure I have followed the Guide to the letter.

So I have tried burning my downloaded copy to a CD, and changing the cyb file to E:\CDROM\DATA
    then a directory on my harddrive, changing the CYB file appropriately trying it in caps, lowercase and proper text.
    I tried putting the cdrom file into my install directory and changing the cyb.cfg
    I also tried the dosbox and got the same thing, although I couldn't understand most of the readme.
    Right now I think I am using dos4gw.197.2 I have also tried a few other dos4gws that didn't work.

My specs:
    Aopen AK79D-400VN 2200+ 512 RAM
    Radeon 9800Pro 4.4 cat
    onboard soundcard
    Aopen Cd/dvd combo
    DX9.0b
    updated drivers etc.

Well, I got it to work if anyone was interested . . . I decided to download the full(er) version from emule instead of the 100 odd meg version, and used the image with Daemon tools.

All I have in the cdshock.bat is @echo off, and dos4gw and mok's cdshock.exe paths. I set up the vdms thinger correctly, I think, but it doesn't work, so I am just running the bat. The music speed is variable sometimes, but it runs fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ethered
    I've looked around and haven't found my question answered well enough for me to fix it. :|

Salt the fries error 2004 (resource error/ couldn't find palette).
    Set files=30

I've read on Vogons that this means the cd couldn't be found?

I am pretty sure I have followed the Guide to the letter.

So I have tried burning my downloaded copy to a CD, and changing the cyb file to E:\CDROM\DATA
    then a directory on my harddrive, changing the CYB file appropriately trying it in caps, lowercase and proper text.
    I tried putting the cdrom file into my install directory and changing the cyb.cfg
    I also tried the dosbox and got the same thing, although I couldn't understand most of the readme.
    Right now I think I am using dos4gw.197.2 I have also tried a few other dos4gws that didn't work.

My specs:
    Aopen AK79D-400VN 2200+ 512 RAM
    Radeon 9800Pro 4.4 cat
    onboard soundcard
    Aopen Cd/dvd combo
    DX9.0b
    updated drivers etc.

Well, I got it to work if anyone was interested . . . I decided to download the full(er) version from emule instead of the 100 odd meg version, and used the image with Daemon tools.

All I have in the cdshock.bat is @echo off, and dos4gw and mok's cdshock.exe paths. I set up the vdms thinger correctly, I think, but it doesn't work, so I am just running the bat. The music speed is variable sometimes, but it runs fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorn the Unspeakable
    suddenly I find myself turning right constantly, and I can't find a way to get it to stop. Blarg. I can't save the world while turning right constantly!
    I recently successfullly installed, played and completed SS1 on Windows XP, and also got this occasionally. Only quitting the game and reloading helped, but for the rest the game ran fine. I don't know what kind of error this is, but as long as it doesn't occur constantly it is not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorn the Unspeakable
    suddenly I find myself turning right constantly, and I can't find a way to get it to stop. Blarg. I can't save the world while turning right constantly!
    I recently successfullly installed, played and completed SS1 on Windows XP, and also got this occasionally. Only quitting the game and reloading helped, but for the rest the game ran fine. I don't know what kind of error this is, but as long as it doesn't occur constantly it is not that bad.

Whenever this happened to me, all I had to do was hit the key that made me turn right (d?) and it would stop. don't know if that would work for anyone else, but it's worth a shot.

Whenever this happened to me, all I had to do was hit the key that made me turn right (d?) and it would stop. don't know if that would work for anyone else, but it's worth a shot.

First off, props to XenivouS for compiling an easy-to-read walkthrough that even an illiterate schmuck such as myself can follow without much difficulty. Cheers. If I were a woman I'd offer to have your babies. Though it's never stopped me before.

Anyway, I've followed it through (even did it right the second time around - momma would be proud) and everything seems to be fine and dandy but for one thing - I'm receiving the following error when I run the .bat shortcut that's created:

VDMS Launchpad - CDSHOCK
    The system cannot open COM2 port requested by the application. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

[Close] - [Ignore]
    Now, being the slave to authority that I am, I did so, and the program died. Needless to say, I wasn't best pleased, so I ran it again and this time chose to ignore the error. The game loaded up without another hitch, playing the cutscene fine with sound and music, and I was presented with the main screen.

Then I found out my mouse wasn't working properly. It recognised the clicks, sure, 'cause I used them to bypass the cutscene, but when I moved it, the cursor disappeared off the edge of the screen, and my most persuasive attempts at luring it back with Cheddar cheese failed to make it return.

I read back a few pages and saw other folks had COM2 port problems, so can I ask someone to explain to me what the hell's going on, and how can I solve it? Someone said it's to do with mouse ports, but my mouse is a PS/2 or something like that. Any help'd be greatly appreciated, and would be rewarded with spare organs in the event of a need for them. Cheers.

BIG FAT EDIT, MOFOS: Okay, so after some bored taffing about, I found that I can get a mouse cursor to appear, but it's extremely sensitive and moves in huge 'leaps' across the game screen, so much so that it's actually impossible to click on certain things, and a sudden movement can cause it to disappear off the edge of the screen for a few frantic moments. Also, the MIDI music seems to be out of sequence; I'll admit to being no Mozart, but it sounds like it was put through a blender then filtered through a sponge. There's a tune and a key there, sure, but the notes seem to hop around a lot. Kind of hard to describe. Anyway, I'll go fiddle with my MIDI settings to try and work that one out, but it's really the mouse thing that's proving the biggest obstacle.
    Last edited by Wretch; 13th Jul 2004 at 16:26.

First off, props to XenivouS for compiling an easy-to-read walkthrough that even an illiterate schmuck such as myself can follow without much difficulty. Cheers. If I were a woman I'd offer to have your babies. Though it's never stopped me before.

Anyway, I've followed it through (even did it right the second time around - momma would be proud) and everything seems to be fine and dandy but for one thing - I'm receiving the following error when I run the .bat shortcut that's created:

VDMS Launchpad - CDSHOCK
    The system cannot open COM2 port requested by the application. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

[Close] - [Ignore]
    Now, being the slave to authority that I am, I did so, and the program died. Needless to say, I wasn't best pleased, so I ran it again and this time chose to ignore the error. The game loaded up without another hitch, playing the cutscene fine with sound and music, and I was presented with the main screen.

Then I found out my mouse wasn't working properly. It recognised the clicks, sure, 'cause I used them to bypass the cutscene, but when I moved it, the cursor disappeared off the edge of the screen, and my most persuasive attempts at luring it back with Cheddar cheese failed to make it return.

I read back a few pages and saw other folks had COM2 port problems, so can I ask someone to explain to me what the hell's going on, and how can I solve it? Someone said it's to do with mouse ports, but my mouse is a PS/2 or something like that. Any help'd be greatly appreciated, and would be rewarded with spare organs in the event of a need for them. Cheers.

BIG FAT EDIT, MOFOS: Okay, so after some bored taffing about, I found that I can get a mouse cursor to appear, but it's extremely sensitive and moves in huge 'leaps' across the game screen, so much so that it's actually impossible to click on certain things, and a sudden movement can cause it to disappear off the edge of the screen for a few frantic moments. Also, the MIDI music seems to be out of sequence; I'll admit to being no Mozart, but it sounds like it was put through a blender then filtered through a sponge. There's a tune and a key there, sure, but the notes seem to hop around a lot. Kind of hard to describe. Anyway, I'll go fiddle with my MIDI settings to try and work that one out, but it's really the mouse thing that's proving the biggest obstacle.

Ah fuggedaboudit, I got it working with help from a friend of mine. I removed the VDSM to sort the sound, plain ignored the COM2 port problems, and remembered to change the resolution , and now it's fine and dandy.

Ah fuggedaboudit, I got it working with help from a friend of mine. I removed the VDSM to sort the sound, plain ignored the COM2 port problems, and remembered to change the resolution , and now it's fine and dandy.

Hi

Thanks to the great tutorial from XenivouS I con now play SS1 on XP .

But I have sometimes the "black screen problem".

Solution: Restart the computer. Mostly it takes 1-3 restarts until it works. I dont know why. But hey it works

The mouse is a bit slow (the mouse2k parameters only work in the main menu, ingame they have no effect) but now Im on Deck 6 and I got used to it.

Btw you can use the options menu without the mouse. Esc (opts) V (Video) etc. The different mode can be selected by "1" "2" etc.

Hi

Thanks to the great tutorial from XenivouS I con now play SS1 on XP .

But I have sometimes the "black screen problem".

Solution: Restart the computer. Mostly it takes 1-3 restarts until it works. I dont know why. But hey it works

The mouse is a bit slow (the mouse2k parameters only work in the main menu, ingame they have no effect) but now Im on Deck 6 and I got used to it.

Btw you can use the options menu without the mouse. Esc (opts) V (Video) etc. The different mode can be selected by "1" "2" etc.

I've been looking for the original System Shock for ages, and had given up until somebody pointed out it was available on abandonware site the-underdogs.

It works mostly fine with the XP patch from sshock2.com, but at higher resolutions the mouse cursor moves very slowly (It's an Intellimouse Explorer, if that's relevant).
    This FAQ's not much help, unfortunately, as it doesn't excplain what these various patches and programs are for, so I don't know if I need any of them.

Can anyone help?

I've been looking for the original System Shock for ages, and had given up until somebody pointed out it was available on abandonware site the-underdogs.

It works mostly fine with the XP patch from sshock2.com, but at higher resolutions the mouse cursor moves very slowly (It's an Intellimouse Explorer, if that's relevant).
    This FAQ's not much help, unfortunately, as it doesn't excplain what these various patches and programs are for, so I don't know if I need any of them.

Can anyone help?

Thanks for helping me out here... I tried to get SS1 working in 2000 a long time back, and couldn't... I came here to see if people had improved upon what was known when last I tried, and boy have they!

It's running pretty well for me now...

I'm just using the .exe whoever made... the patch thing... the method detailed in this FAQ ended up with really screwy audio, and slow performance for me...

Just flat out using the .exe patch works pretty well.

There are a couple things I'd like to fix though... maybe you all can help?

1.) When I start the game, it says "CDSHOCK.EXE - The system cannot open COM2 port requested by the application." I'm then given the option to close or ignore. If I ignore, and then click the cdshock.exe thing down in my taskbar... I can proceed to play the game. Naturally I'd like to eliminate this step. I don't know what is making it request anything about com2... any ideas how I can get it to stop requesting it?

2.) The music... I believe right now I'm getting midi. Is there also a CD audio format I could be using? if so, what's the easiest way for me to switch to it? What options other than midi are there for the music?

3.) Controls - Is there anyway whatsoever to modify the controls? even just a little bit? I'd love to use keypad 5 as moveback rather than keypad 2. I'd also *love* to strafe rather than turn... anything like that. I mean I guess without mouselook I need to keep it as turn... I don't suppose there's anyway to mouselook?

4.) Speaking of the mouse... it could do to be a bit more sensative. Any way to do that?

5.) Is there any way to make the game run at something like 1600x1200? Or to run at higher color bits?

Thanks for helping me out here... I tried to get SS1 working in 2000 a long time back, and couldn't... I came here to see if people had improved upon what was known when last I tried, and boy have they!

It's running pretty well for me now...

I'm just using the .exe whoever made... the patch thing... the method detailed in this FAQ ended up with really screwy audio, and slow performance for me...

Just flat out using the .exe patch works pretty well.

1.) When I start the game, it says "CDSHOCK.EXE - The system cannot open COM2 port requested by the application." I'm then given the option to close or ignore. If I ignore, and then click the cdshock.exe thing down in my taskbar... I can proceed to play the game. Naturally I'd like to eliminate this step. I don't know what is making it request anything about com2... any ideas how I can get it to stop requesting it?

2.) The music... I believe right now I'm getting midi. Is there also a CD audio format I could be using? if so, what's the easiest way for me to switch to it? What options other than midi are there for the music?

3.) Controls - Is there anyway whatsoever to modify the controls? even just a little bit? I'd love to use keypad 5 as moveback rather than keypad 2. I'd also *love* to strafe rather than turn... anything like that. I mean I guess without mouselook I need to keep it as turn... I don't suppose there's anyway to mouselook?

4.) Speaking of the mouse... it could do to be a bit more sensative. Any way to do that?

5.) Is there any way to make the game run at something like 1600x1200? Or to run at higher color bits?

hey, i tried following the FAQ and got as far as trying to install it, running INST\initial.exe using VDMSound, and i got a bunch of error messages, like the following:

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    CS:1004 IP:037f OP:63 75 6d 65 6e Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

or i can ignore, and then a bunch of similar errors come up (same but different IP and OP, whatever they are) until it just quits.

my only guess as to why this happens is that i accidentally installed the newest VDMSound (2.1.0, because it was the first one on the website) and then later did the 2.0.4, and the update, on top of it. might that be it? or is something else wrong?

also... there might be something wrong with the files i have (i downloaded System.Shock.1.CD.ace off eMule) because my INST\initial.exe was weird and wrong and i had to re-download that individual file from the underdogs. but i matched briefly all the files i have to the ones on the zip on the underdogs and it seems like i've got everything.... blah.

thanks for any help i can get

hey, i tried following the FAQ and got as far as trying to install it, running INST\initial.exe using VDMSound, and i got a bunch of error messages, like the following:

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    CS:1004 IP:037f OP:63 75 6d 65 6e Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

or i can ignore, and then a bunch of similar errors come up (same but different IP and OP, whatever they are) until it just quits.

my only guess as to why this happens is that i accidentally installed the newest VDMSound (2.1.0, because it was the first one on the website) and then later did the 2.0.4, and the update, on top of it. might that be it? or is something else wrong?

also... there might be something wrong with the files i have (i downloaded System.Shock.1.CD.ace off eMule) because my INST\initial.exe was weird and wrong and i had to re-download that individual file from the underdogs. but i matched briefly all the files i have to the ones on the zip on the underdogs and it seems like i've got everything.... blah.

thanks for any help i can get

Quote Originally Posted by TheDorkProject

Unfortunately, not that I know of. Shock 1 was a DOS game and back in those days, programs interfaced directly with the mouse port. XP does not allow this, but does emulate the behavour in DOS windows.

In short, MIDI is the only music you'll get out of Shock 1 - they filled the CD with the (rather excellent) voice acting instead. This isn't unusual - most games of this vintage (Doom II, Sam 'n' Max, Descent) only had MIDI music. Personally I think the realism factor is upped substantially by turning the music off, but that's just me.

If you have a card that has both high-quality wavetable General MIDI, and SB16 DOS emulation, then you can up the quality of the music substantially by using that rather than VDMSound, but I don't know what the stability would be like on your machine.

Inability to remap the controls is one of the most common bugbears about the game. Remember that it has a different heritage than most First-Person games (it uses a control system based on Ultima Underworld rather than id's Wolfenstein 3D), so strafing is (as far as I know) out.

You may be a ble to find a program on the 'net that remaps keys, but again, I don't know what that would do to the stability.

As for mouselook, remember this game was based on an engine that predated Doom - in fact in its original incarnation it predated Wolfenstein! There wasn't an accepted way of doing keymappings and movement back then. If you're trying to avoid getting shot while taking a pop at a bad guy, try hiding behind a wall and leaning out - personally I find this a far cooler way of getting hits in than strafing (Neither Shock is a straight-ahead FPS!).

That's what the "E:\Games\sshock\MOUSE2KV.EXE 640 480 8 8" line in the startup sequence (CDSHOCK.BAT batch file) on the first page of this thread is for - Mouse2KV is a program that essentially tricks the mouse routine into thinking it's running in VESA 640x480.

As I said before, it's a *VERY* old game (1994) - those graphics modes didn't exist outside Silicon Graphics workstations backl in those days!

So basically no.

Hope this helps though.

Tc.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDorkProject

Unfortunately, not that I know of. Shock 1 was a DOS game and back in those days, programs interfaced directly with the mouse port. XP does not allow this, but does emulate the behavour in DOS windows.

In short, MIDI is the only music you'll get out of Shock 1 - they filled the CD with the (rather excellent) voice acting instead. This isn't unusual - most games of this vintage (Doom II, Sam 'n' Max, Descent) only had MIDI music. Personally I think the realism factor is upped substantially by turning the music off, but that's just me.

If you have a card that has both high-quality wavetable General MIDI, and SB16 DOS emulation, then you can up the quality of the music substantially by using that rather than VDMSound, but I don't know what the stability would be like on your machine.

Inability to remap the controls is one of the most common bugbears about the game. Remember that it has a different heritage than most First-Person games (it uses a control system based on Ultima Underworld rather than id's Wolfenstein 3D), so strafing is (as far as I know) out.

You may be a ble to find a program on the 'net that remaps keys, but again, I don't know what that would do to the stability.

As for mouselook, remember this game was based on an engine that predated Doom - in fact in its original incarnation it predated Wolfenstein! There wasn't an accepted way of doing keymappings and movement back then. If you're trying to avoid getting shot while taking a pop at a bad guy, try hiding behind a wall and leaning out - personally I find this a far cooler way of getting hits in than strafing (Neither Shock is a straight-ahead FPS!).

That's what the "E:\Games\sshock\MOUSE2KV.EXE 640 480 8 8" line in the startup sequence (CDSHOCK.BAT batch file) on the first page of this thread is for - Mouse2KV is a program that essentially tricks the mouse routine into thinking it's running in VESA 640x480.

As I said before, it's a *VERY* old game (1994) - those graphics modes didn't exist outside Silicon Graphics workstations backl in those days!

So basically no.

Hope this helps though.

Tc.