TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 510152025262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Run System Shock 1 on Windows 2000/XP FAQ v 1.0

Genious. It seems to be workign so far. !start doesnt seem to work but the cdshock file works after ignoirng the com2 error. great! Cant thank you enough Drat

Thank Kolya.

Thank Kolya.

Quote Originally Posted by ripa View Post
    You can bypass your hardware's VESA implementation with dgvesa, part of the dgVoodoo glide wrapper. Running System Shock with dgvesa allows it to use the same refresh rates all Windows programs use. System Shock ran perfectly at 800x600 120Hz with doublescanning (no flicker or nasty scanlines!). You can even run it in windowed mode. Also, dgvesa eliminates the need for mouse2kv.

You can get dgVoodoo 1.40+ at http://dege.freeweb.hu/ Installing it is quite simple: just extract it to your System Shock directory. You can configure it by running dgVoodooSetup.exe. My settings: Platform: DOS; Global tab: Fullscreen mode, 32-bit, Working in VDD mode, Hide console checked, Set mouse focus to application checked; VESA tab: Use built-in VESA support checked, refresh freq 60Hz (not the same thing as refresh rate), and 4096kb video memory. Finally, to enable dgvesa, you need to run dgvesa.com before cdshock.exe and without mouse2kv. It's simple with a batch file. My cdshock.bat contains just two lines: dgvesa.com and cdshock.exe. Run the batch file with VDMsound for great audio!

If System Shock crashes with dgvesa when starting a new game, try running System Shock without dgvesa, create a new game, set it to high resolution, save the game, and finally restart System Shock with dgvesa, and load the savegame.

Your refresh rate might still be just 60Hz because of Windows XP. In that case you need to force it higher. I've always used RefreshForce, but I think it can also be done with the default ATi and nVidia control panels somehow.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5038/ohnoesxb1.jpg
    Thank you thank you thank you !! dgVoodoo was superb, fixed every little flaw for me in ss1. Everything works like a dream now.

You can bypass your hardware's VESA implementation with dgvesa, part of the dgVoodoo glide wrapper. Running System Shock with dgvesa allows it to use the same refresh rates all Windows programs use. System Shock ran perfectly at 800x600 120Hz with doublescanning (no flicker or nasty scanlines!). You can even run it in windowed mode. Also, dgvesa eliminates the need for mouse2kv.

You can get dgVoodoo 1.40+ at http://dege.freeweb.hu/ Installing it is quite simple: just extract it to your System Shock directory. You can configure it by running dgVoodooSetup.exe. My settings: Platform: DOS; Global tab: Fullscreen mode, 32-bit, Working in VDD mode, Hide console checked, Set mouse focus to application checked; VESA tab: Use built-in VESA support checked, refresh freq 60Hz (not the same thing as refresh rate), and 4096kb video memory. Finally, to enable dgvesa, you need to run dgvesa.com before cdshock.exe and without mouse2kv. It's simple with a batch file. My cdshock.bat contains just two lines: dgvesa.com and cdshock.exe. Run the batch file with VDMsound for great audio!

If System Shock crashes with dgvesa when starting a new game, try running System Shock without dgvesa, create a new game, set it to high resolution, save the game, and finally restart System Shock with dgvesa, and load the savegame.

Your refresh rate might still be just 60Hz because of Windows XP. In that case you need to force it higher. I've always used RefreshForce, but I think it can also be done with the default ATi and nVidia control panels somehow.

Thank you thank you thank you !! dgVoodoo was superb, fixed every little flaw for me in ss1. Everything works like a dream now.

This is almost a garunteed stupid question but after I install VDMSound, there is no "right click, run with vdms" or anything in my right click menu has changed. anyone have any ideas?

if not then it's ok because i got the game working with mouse2kv and mok's cdshock.exe so don't put it at any high priority.

This is almost a garunteed stupid question but after I install VDMSound, there is no "right click, run with vdms" or anything in my right click menu has changed. anyone have any ideas?

if not then it's ok because i got the game working with mouse2kv and mok's cdshock.exe so don't put it at any high priority.

I got sshock1 working fine through my previous post and through dgvesa, the problem is not the sound, everything works really well, but after about half an hour or so the game just crashes to the desktop with no warning, even after using ss1hr.exe it works fine for about half hour 45 min and then just quits to the desktop.
    I've read all 15 pages and can't find anyone else with this problem.

Specs are:
    pentium 4 3.0GHz HT
    1gb ddr ram
    80GB HDD
    256mb GeForceFX 5200 agp/8x

My Dad's computer is doing the excact same thing, and his specs are:
    Pentuim 4 2.4GHz
    1.5ghz DDR Ram
    160GB SATA HDD
    Last edited by Dirtwasp87; 23rd Oct 2006 at 22:58. Reason: spelling

I got sshock1 working fine through my previous post and through dgvesa, the problem is not the sound, everything works really well, but after about half an hour or so the game just crashes to the desktop with no warning, even after using ss1hr.exe it works fine for about half hour 45 min and then just quits to the desktop.
    I've read all 15 pages and can't find anyone else with this problem.

Specs are:
    pentium 4 3.0GHz HT
    1gb ddr ram
    80GB HDD

My Dad's computer is doing the excact same thing, and his specs are:
    Pentuim 4 2.4GHz
    1.5ghz DDR Ram
    160GB SATA HDD

I have also been experiencing desktop crashes. It crashes to desktop about 2 minutes into the game every time I try to play.

I have an XP, P4 2.6ghz machine, 512 RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro, soundblaster Live.

The game is absolutely fine, until it crashes :\

I have also been experiencing desktop crashes. It crashes to desktop about 2 minutes into the game every time I try to play.

I have an XP, P4 2.6ghz machine, 512 RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro, soundblaster Live.

The game is absolutely fine, until it crashes :\

What about this modified CDSHOCK.exe?
    Just copy it into the sshock directory, start it and play without any problems.
    And no, this is no virus or anything else. If u want, check it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/5949421/CDSHOCK.zip.html
    Last edited by kampfwurst; 4th Dec 2006 at 08:06.

What about this modified CDSHOCK.exe?
    Just copy it into the sshock directory, start it and play without any problems.
    And no, this is no virus or anything else. If u want, check it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/5949421/CDSHOCK.zip.html

when i load the game the sound is choppy, the intro looks very strange like a video with bad codecs and after i enter my name the game crashes

i got p4 2.4 radeon x1300 1gb ddr333
    Last edited by w0lfshad3; 27th Dec 2006 at 06:40.

when i load the game the sound is choppy, the intro looks very strange like a video with bad codecs and after i enter my name the game crashes

i got p4 2.4 radeon x1300 1gb ddr333

I got the same problems before I did this.
    I customized the BAT file a bit.

@echo off
    "C:\Games\System Shock\nolfb.com"
    "C:\Games\System Shock\MOUSE2KV.EXE" 640 480 10 10
    "C:\Games\System Shock\dos4gw.exe"
    cdshock.exe

This assuming you downloaded and installed the EXEs suggested in the guide. Most people probably get COM1/COM2 port errors at this point when running the game, I just click Ignore on two error messages and then the game plays flawlessly.

I got the same problems before I did this.
    I customized the BAT file a bit.

@echo off
    "C:\Games\System Shock\nolfb.com"
    "C:\Games\System Shock\MOUSE2KV.EXE" 640 480 10 10
    "C:\Games\System Shock\dos4gw.exe"
    cdshock.exe

This assuming you downloaded and installed the EXEs suggested in the guide. Most people probably get COM1/COM2 port errors at this point when running the game, I just click Ignore on two error messages and then the game plays flawlessly.

Now after i uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times when i try step 8,9 the shorcut is created as CDSHOCK.vlp file (VDMSound Shorcut) but i cannot run it, its not linked to anything and windows ask me with what program should i run it.

Ok cancel what i said after more tries the shorcut works again
    But now i can't see the intro pictures then a messy and soundless "video" occurs then nothing, screen goes black.

Anyway thats not mouse2kv command line style, it should work like:
    MOUSE2KV.EXE 640 480 8 8 dos4gw.exe cdshock.exe

wich produces a series of green dots dunno what i did the first time when the onyl problem was the "video" and the crash

... ok after all maner of weird errors i restarted pc, everything worked as the first time, then "Our systme has been shocked!! But remember to Salt The Fries" message and a general protection fault +registry dump. I can see the "video" with sound using sshock.bat as it is but it crashes when i enter game.

... finally i managed to run it using the bat directly, and it run with sound hmm..
    this is my bat:

@echo off
    nolfb.com
    MOUSE2KV.EXE 640 480 8 8 dos4gw.exe
    cdshock.exe
    Last edited by w0lfshad3; 29th Dec 2006 at 19:58.

Now after i uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times when i try step 8,9 the shorcut is created as CDSHOCK.vlp file (VDMSound Shorcut) but i cannot run it, its not linked to anything and windows ask me with what program should i run it.

Ok cancel what i said after more tries the shorcut works again
    But now i can't see the intro pictures then a messy and soundless "video" occurs then nothing, screen goes black.

Anyway thats not mouse2kv command line style, it should work like:
    MOUSE2KV.EXE 640 480 8 8 dos4gw.exe cdshock.exe

wich produces a series of green dots dunno what i did the first time when the onyl problem was the "video" and the crash

... ok after all maner of weird errors i restarted pc, everything worked as the first time, then "Our systme has been shocked!! But remember to Salt The Fries" message and a general protection fault +registry dump. I can see the "video" with sound using sshock.bat as it is but it crashes when i enter game.

... finally i managed to run it using the bat directly, and it run with sound hmm..
    this is my bat:

@echo off
    nolfb.com
    MOUSE2KV.EXE 640 480 8 8 dos4gw.exe
    cdshock.exe

That is pretty much what I did, my BAT looks slightly different though.
    As a side note I never installed VDMSound myself, the sound is perfectly fine without it, at least in my case.

That is pretty much what I did, my BAT looks slightly different though.
    As a side note I never installed VDMSound myself, the sound is perfectly fine without it, at least in my case.

mouse crashes when touched

I started a new game and for a while could move the cursor at a decent speed(grabbed all the stuff from the briefcase!) but now after loading a game if I just bump the mouse it crashes immediately!

I can't select 640x480, so I figured Mouse2kv was doing something bad(even though the mouse moved at a decent speed and stayed in the viewable area.) I changed the values to 320 200 and STILL it crashes when I bump the mouse!

Specs:
    Win2k SP4
    AMD64 4000+ 2.4GHz
    PS/2 Keyboard + Mouse
    Onboard Audigy2
    nVidia 6800GS
    1024mb RAM

mouse crashes when touched

I started a new game and for a while could move the cursor at a decent speed(grabbed all the stuff from the briefcase!) but now after loading a game if I just bump the mouse it crashes immediately!

I can't select 640x480, so I figured Mouse2kv was doing something bad(even though the mouse moved at a decent speed and stayed in the viewable area.) I changed the values to 320 200 and STILL it crashes when I bump the mouse!

Specs:
    Win2k SP4
    AMD64 4000+ 2.4GHz
    PS/2 Keyboard + Mouse
    Onboard Audigy2
    nVidia 6800GS
    1024mb RAM

How does your BAT file look like?

How does your BAT file look like?

Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 510152025262728293031323334 ... LastLast