Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4914192429303132333435 LastLast

Thread: How to Run System Shock 1 on Windows 2000/XP FAQ v 1.0

I do everything the main post says, and my CDSHOCK.bat looks like this:

@echo off
    C:\PROGRA~1\SYSTEM~2\cdrom\cdshock.exe

instead of:

@echo off
    E:\Games\sshock\nolfb.exe
    E:\Games\sshock\MOUSE2KV.EXE 640 480 8 8 E:\Games\SSHOCK\dos4gw.exe cdshock.exe

I'm intrigued by this System Shock Portable...Where do I get it and how do I work it. And does SS1 not work on dosbox?

It does work in DOSBox, would recommend you use a DOSBox front end like D.O.G., available on the same page as the DOSBox downloads.

I ended up getting SS1 running without the mouse (which slowed the mouse down in game too much) and the nolfb. I just followed the instructions then changed the bat file and then overwrote the original CDSHOCK with the one from the website.

Also, to everybody, well worth a) reading the first couple pages of this thread, and b) reading the last couple pages of this thread before just leaving a message saying you cannot get it working with little other information.

I got it working using SSP, it works absolutely perfect so far (good game speed, correct mouse control, full res and working sound/music.)

It's SO HARD to control though, after all these years of standard FPS controls. It's also so much harder than the relatively easy controls of Doom or Dark Forces.

I'm also completely confused as to what I'm doing...What do beverages do, and I keep picking up stuff I don't know how to use and stuff. I need a manual or something.

P.S. How long is this game?

Quote Originally Posted by Putter View Post
    I got it working using SSP, it works absolutely perfect so far (good game speed, correct mouse control, full res and working sound/music.)

It's SO HARD to control though, after all these years of standard FPS controls. It's also so much harder than the relatively easy controls of Doom or Dark Forces.

I'm also completely confused as to what I'm doing...What do beverages do, and I keep picking up stuff I don't know how to use and stuff. I need a manual or something.

P.S. How long is this game?
    It's a good 40 hour gameplay - and there are walkthru's and FAQs out there aplenty - SS1 is a CLASSSIC after all!!!! So just Google System Shock One walkthrough or FAQ of Strategy Guide or even maybe Manual!

Quote Originally Posted by uk_john View Post
    It's a good 40 hour gameplay - and there are walkthru's and FAQs out there aplenty - SS1 is a CLASSSIC after all!!!! So just Google System Shock One walkthrough or FAQ of Strategy Guide or even maybe Manual!
    Egads, 40 hours. That will likely last me the rest of semmester :|. I better get the hang of this control scheme or it will be a long month.

Quote Originally Posted by Putter View Post
    Egads, 40 hours. That will likely last me the rest of semmester :|. I better get the hang of this control scheme or it will be a long month.
    I don't know about 40 hours. One of the difficulty options is to finish the game in 7 hours, iirc. While you can take plenty longer, you can't just skip four fifths of the game to make it in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
    I don't know about 40 hours. One of the difficulty options is to finish the game in 7 hours, iirc. While you can take plenty longer, you can't just skip four fifths of the game to make it in that time.
    It purely depend if you play games or not! I always want to visit all the areas, try and solve all the puzzles, get into the character and involve myself in the story. This goes even more if I have paid $40-50 for the game!

You can finish the game in 7-10 hours, but you will miss so much in my opinion, I don't know why you would bother to go to the trouble to get it running!

Quote Originally Posted by uk_john View Post
    It purely depend if you play games or not! I always want to visit all the areas, try and solve all the puzzles, get into the character and involve myself in the story. This goes even more if I have paid $40-50 for the game!

You can finish the game in 7-10 hours, but you will miss so much in my opinion, I don't know why you would bother to go to the trouble to get it running!
    Depends how many times you've played before. I'm not still on my original copy of the CD, for instance. I generally try to get all the logs, and I can't think of all that much you can skip in SS1. Especially if you haven't played it before, but even knowing where everything is the design is such that you have to cover most of the station. Pesky cameras and the like.

Maybe I just don't want to face the fact that I've spent so many hours on a game so many times .

Thank You

Hi guys,

First post, although I've been trolling for a bit. I played SS2 when it was relatively new and to be honest it scared the Hell out of me but I loved it. I recently dug it out in hopes of playing it again. That is when I found this wonderful site. While playing SS2 it made me wonder if I could find and play SS1 since I had never had that experience. So I read this thread, found a SS1 download for $5.00 and the rest of the programs and after a bit of research on this thread, work, and "tweaking" I am now able to say that I think I have it working. I just wanted to say, "Thank you" to everyone that has contributed to this thread and to keeping this great game alive.

Grod

grodrianst, welcome to the thread and glad we were able to help! This is such a great game, it's a pleasure getting someone else onboard to promote it to the masses!

I know this is a little dead but I is it possible to play the game on Vista with DosBox?I just can't install it,someone help me please

Sorry, I am sticking with XP (and a Win98 PC as well, for my older games! ) to avoid these problems, so cannot help. Have you tried a front end for DOSBox like D.O.G.? I don't even know if it, or any other front end, works in Vista, but you could check them on the DOSBox web page. Also, try the DOSBox forums for a better chance of Vista help.

Sorry I couldn't do better for you!

All you need to run System Shock 1 on Windows XP is the DOSBox Emulator.

1. Install and configure DOSBox (i used DOSBox Version 0.70)

I changed these DOSBox Variables:
    memsize=64
    keyboardlayout=XX (see the DOSBox ReadmeFile)

CD-ROM and Harddisk configuration :
    [autoexec]
    # Lines in this section will be run at startup.
    mount d y:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl
    mount e z:\ -t cdrom -usecd 1 -ioctl
    mount C c:\Dos ("c:\Dos" is a directory to function as a DOS-Formatted harddisk)
    c:

2. Insert System Shock 1 CD, start DOSBox and type at the promt:
    cd inst
    initial.exe (installation program)

3. after installation type:
    cdshock

This works fine on Windows XP SP2.

I tried the crap from the main post serveral times and it did not work.
    Last edited by Zaphod B; 17th Feb 2008 at 07:55.

Zaphod - I think you are being a little harsh with your comments about earlier instructions. Just like your help, everybody who posts instrcutions here are trying to help! For example, because of info a few pages back, I was able to get my System Shock running in XP SP2 outside of DOSBox and running at 1024x768! So do not diss all help, as some has been and will be very useful - if you are willing to look at a few more pages, rather than just page one!

Why do you post complicated instructions in this forum which do not work?

Using a modified System Shock installation, downloaded from some place on the internet does not help much to run the original game, which i and perhaps many others who visit the forum own.

@KillerBunny
    The instructions i posted above do work for Windows XP Professional SP2 and Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit.

i think they did it this way because it used to work at some point in time.

now i have a not so complicate solution that works for me (winXP),
    for the CD Rom Version of System Shock 1.

1: download : d-fend Reload (basically a DOSBos with a GUI in 1 software)

http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

2: Have a profile for the Initial.exe (/inst) + mount the cd-drive (via profile edit).

This ables you to install the game with sound which you need to detect before installing.

3: Finally make a new profile for "cdshock.bat" (which has just been installed) + a mount of the cd-drive (like above).

And it all works perfect, voice, music etc...
    Do not forget to change the resolution within the game tho and it shall be perfect.

Enjoy this good game.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBunny View Post
    I know this is a little dead but I is it possible to play the game on Vista with DosBox?I just can't install it,someone help me please
    Sure is.
    You have to mount both C: and your cd, in my case E:

mount c: c:\sshock
    mount e: e:\
    e:
    install

After it's installed
    mount c: c:\sshock
    mount e: e:\
    c:
    cdshock
    Alt Enter - to go full screen - this may have to be done more than once.

I still have the original disk bought in 1994.

Can you tell I love LG stuff?

SS1 works great , but ...

I'm just being picky, I know.

I'd like to know what kind of tweaking would be necessary to avoid the COM1 & 2 errors ; so that I just start the game and gets playing instead of having to crash to windows 2 times every time

If you have any ideas , thanks for sharing them.

Are you using DosBox?
    I am only using DosBox so I'd not be able to help with any other method...unless you educate me.

Quote Originally Posted by incal View Post
    I'm just being picky, I know.

I'd like to know what kind of tweaking would be necessary to avoid the COM1 & 2 errors ; so that I just start the game and gets playing instead of having to crash to windows 2 times every time

If you have any ideas , thanks for sharing them.
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117157

plus http://www.strangebedfellows.de/inde...pic,211.0.html if you want all the goodies in one neat pack.

Thanks voodoo ;
    somehow the search didn't turn up that thread for me.
    Another big thank you for the second link.

Raglits;
    mine works under XP , I get to salt the fries if I use the dosbox...

(what's the jokes behind the "salt the fries" error ? maybe something arcane , only real programmers can understand , or is it about something in the game , I'm curious.)
    Last edited by incal; 19th Jun 2008 at 06:34.

I'm confused. Too many theories. And links from the main post do not work.
    What should I do in order to run SS1 on XP at 1024x768?

I tried the d-frontend approach, but I'm getting cannot install to this directory, and when I do succeed, it says it failed to write batch file. Help?

Quote Originally Posted by Electron Blue View Post
    I tried the d-frontend approach, but I'm getting cannot install to this directory, and when I do succeed, it says it failed to write batch file. Help?

Look above at the strange bedfellows link. That is an exe, just install, read the readme and away you go.

Best way to run it on XP is: