TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116212631 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Run System Shock 1 on Windows 2000/XP FAQ v 1.0

What am I missing?

Ok, I am going through all these steps, but it looks like I missed something, because when I open up my CDSHOCK.BAT it doesn't look like it is supposed to:

@echo off
    E:\Games\sshock\nolfb.exe
    E:\Games\sshock\MOUSE2KV.EXE 640 480 8 8 E:\Games\SSHOCK\dos4gw.exe cdshock.exe

Instead it looks like this:

@echo off
    D:\cdrom\cdshock.exe

D is my CD drive. Did I miss any steps?

Those are the modifications you need to make to it. Just make sure to keep the correct drive letters for your system.

Those are the modifications you need to make to it. Just make sure to keep the correct drive letters for your system.

Re: resolution

Originally posted by Shaundakahl
    I've searched over the forums but didn't really find an answer for this problem.

I got the intro for SS1 to work w/ good audio. The ingame audio and video is fine... but I can't play in 640 x 480 rez. When I switch to it, the screen becomes incredibly garbled and there is no way to play. Simply cannot be done; it's a chore to get the cursor back over another rez button to change back. Finally, I can get it done... only to discover that the cursor took a hike! No more cursor back in normal resolution. I have to restart the DOS program to get it back.

Does anyone have a clue what might causing it or how to fix it?

I've followed this FAQ to a T and everything works fine, I just wish to play in the higher resolution.

-Frustrated Shaundakahl
    Was anyone able to figure this one out? I'm having the same problem on Win XP. But thankfully, after the chore of getting the cursor back over the rez button and changing it back, I can play normally. I don't have the same problem he does of needed to restart the DOS program to get it back. The garbled screen also affects the cut scenes, but changing "lowres_cutscenes" in the config to 1 makes it work just fine, albeit they are low res.

Re: resolution

Originally posted by Shaundakahl
    I've searched over the forums but didn't really find an answer for this problem.

I got the intro for SS1 to work w/ good audio. The ingame audio and video is fine... but I can't play in 640 x 480 rez. When I switch to it, the screen becomes incredibly garbled and there is no way to play. Simply cannot be done; it's a chore to get the cursor back over another rez button to change back. Finally, I can get it done... only to discover that the cursor took a hike! No more cursor back in normal resolution. I have to restart the DOS program to get it back.

Does anyone have a clue what might causing it or how to fix it?

I've followed this FAQ to a T and everything works fine, I just wish to play in the higher resolution.

-Frustrated Shaundakahl
    Was anyone able to figure this one out? I'm having the same problem on Win XP. But thankfully, after the chore of getting the cursor back over the rez button and changing it back, I can play normally. I don't have the same problem he does of needed to restart the DOS program to get it back. The garbled screen also affects the cut scenes, but changing "lowres_cutscenes" in the config to 1 makes it work just fine, albeit they are low res.

Does it work?

Thats great to here at least some people, made Shock 1 run on their systems - but unfortunately not on mine. I just cant see any difference between cdshock.exe and the xp-cdshock.exe; and using VDMS seems not to help also. A blank black screen is all I see!

I dont want to ask if anybody could help (my english is way to bad to explain my problems anyways) but what i wanna know is, if Shock 1 is working on all your systems after setting it up like described here? (with working I mean anything else than a blank screen)

BTW: my first post here: hello everyone!

And maybe i should mention my specs:
    CPU: AMD AthlonXP 2000+
    GPU: GF4 TI4200, newest drivers
    BOARD: Asus A7V8X, VIA KT 400, newest drivers
    Last edited by Bronko; 25th Nov 2003 at 11:54.

Does it work?

Thats great to here at least some people, made Shock 1 run on their systems - but unfortunately not on mine. I just cant see any difference between cdshock.exe and the xp-cdshock.exe; and using VDMS seems not to help also. A blank black screen is all I see!

I dont want to ask if anybody could help (my english is way to bad to explain my problems anyways) but what i wanna know is, if Shock 1 is working on all your systems after setting it up like described here? (with working I mean anything else than a blank screen)

BTW: my first post here: hello everyone!

And maybe i should mention my specs:
    CPU: AMD AthlonXP 2000+
    GPU: GF4 TI4200, newest drivers
    BOARD: Asus A7V8X, VIA KT 400, newest drivers

Gah...

It wants to have My COM1 and COM2 ports before it'll open SS1 using evyerhting you've mentioned already. COM1 is my mouse due to my PS/2 ports being screwed but I don't *HAVE* a COM2..any suggestions? oh yea..I can ge tthe DOS version to work until I actually try to play. I can get the opening to play then get to the menu then I hit new game choose difficulty settings and then *BOOM*...NOT ANYMORE! I redid all the steps..got it no sound..did it again and got It WITH full sounds o___o it ROCKS! ARIGATOU MINNA! Ja matta ne minna. *runs off to play*

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.030422-1633)
    System Manufacturer: Compaq
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.2GHz
    Memory: 192MB RAM
    Card name: POWERCOLOR RADEON 9000 PRO EVIL COMMANDO
    Chip type: Radeon 9000 AGP (0x4966)
    Display Memory: 128.0 MB
    *NEWEST DRIVERS*
    Last edited by Mikeu; 28th Nov 2003 at 22:36.

Gah...

It wants to have My COM1 and COM2 ports before it'll open SS1 using evyerhting you've mentioned already. COM1 is my mouse due to my PS/2 ports being screwed but I don't *HAVE* a COM2..any suggestions? oh yea..I can ge tthe DOS version to work until I actually try to play. I can get the opening to play then get to the menu then I hit new game choose difficulty settings and then *BOOM*...NOT ANYMORE! I redid all the steps..got it no sound..did it again and got It WITH full sounds o___o it ROCKS! ARIGATOU MINNA! Ja matta ne minna. *runs off to play*

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.030422-1633)
    System Manufacturer: Compaq
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.2GHz
    Memory: 192MB RAM
    Card name: POWERCOLOR RADEON 9000 PRO EVIL COMMANDO
    Chip type: Radeon 9000 AGP (0x4966)
    Display Memory: 128.0 MB
    *NEWEST DRIVERS*

no hi-res

hello,
    got the game to run alright on win2k, following all the instructions here-except the options for the hi-res modes are blanked out! anybody see that before? thanks! j0e

no hi-res

hello,
    got the game to run alright on win2k, following all the instructions here-except the options for the hi-res modes are blanked out! anybody see that before? thanks! j0e

All this to open a weenie little game?!?!?!

Yes, in a stupid OS that was created 6 years or so later, and does not have a proper DOS system. I mean, what were Looking Glass thinking?!?

Moron.

Yes, in a stupid OS that was created 6 years or so later, and does not have a proper DOS system. I mean, what were Looking Glass thinking?!?

Moron.

Its not a weenie little game

Its one of the first really good games I played
    Bow for my hamster, your supreme lord and master!!

Its not a weenie little game

Its one of the first really good games I played

Originally posted by Macattack

That "weenie little game" is one of the best games I've played so far....so much fun!
    Ok, it was a bit too complicated for me to solve without any help...typical for me though
    Punch me and kick me and run away
    You know who you are so,
    Now look at me what do you have to say?
    Go then! Whatever's wrong with your head.
    Korn - Souvenir

Originally posted by Macattack

That "weenie little game" is one of the best games I've played so far....so much fun!
    Ok, it was a bit too complicated for me to solve without any help...typical for me though
    You know who you are so,
    Korn - Souvenir

Goggleboy
    I was going to request that one of the mods sticky this topic, since it contains information and links that would undoubtedly be useful, but it seems it's turned into another one of those "lynch the SS hater!" threads.

Goggleboy
    I was going to request that one of the mods sticky this topic, since it contains information and links that would undoubtedly be useful, but it seems it's turned into another one of those "lynch the SS hater!" threads.

THE PLANK!!
    LET HIM WALK THE PLANK!!

THE PLANK!!
    LET HIM WALK THE PLANK!!

Hey, I didn't try to kill him

I thought almost the same when SS1 frustrated me for almost 2 weeks. *I needed those two weeks to get the game running!*

Only I used some baaaad F-Words
    You know who you are so,
    Korn - Souvenir

Hey, I didn't try to kill him

I thought almost the same when SS1 frustrated me for almost 2 weeks. *I needed those two weeks to get the game running!*

Only I used some baaaad F-Words
    You know who you are so,
    Korn - Souvenir