TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: Profane Ascension (July 13th, 2004)

T2 FM: Profane Ascension (July 13th, 2004)

While the author ( Tomi ) is at work I am glad to announce that the Deadly Darkness remake for Thief 2 ( now known as Profane Ascension ) is available at Cheap Thief Missions site http://thiefmissions.com/ - I see that quite many has downloaded it already

Download links (added by nickie):
    Cheap Thief Missions - http://thiefmissions.com/m/ProfaneAscension
    The Circle - http://thief-thecircle.com/missions/
    The Keep - http://keepofmetalandgold.com/fmarchive.htm

So post your comments and questions here. Tomi will reply probably when he comes back from work.

If you wonder who the heck am I, well I'm simply the one who made the briefing for PA and did some betatesting also. So if you have any thoughts or comments about that briefing ( which is my first one I have ever done ) you can post them here also.

Behalf of Tomi I thank you and enjoy Profane Ascension.
    Last edited by nickie; 3rd Jul 2012 at 12:55. Reason: Updating links

Ye forgot to warn those taffers' with weak hearts!

Oh yeah sluggs is right
    You better prepare! Keep some nitros available while playing
    Last edited by Izeman; 15th Jul 2004 at 11:18.

Very good briefing Izeman. I thought it was great and had some nice atmosphere. I just finished this FM again.

My only complaint is that some of the things i listed as needing fixing in the Beta version just hadn't been done, like the phantom lights and the floating walls.

Yeah, that's right. Finished the mission last night and epithumia has uploaded it on his website while I was sleeping.
    As Izeman already mentioned, this mission is a remake of Deadly Darkness - my first fan mission that saw the daylight (or moonlight?) in January 2002. But even if you've played the original (for Thief Gold) you might still want to try this, because I've pretty much changed everything. In 2001-2002 I reached the limits of the old Dark Engine and couldn't make everything I wanted to... Now, with the slightly improved engine and more DromEditing experience, I was able to do much more. You probably won't recognise the old mission anymore. I hope so.
    I'm glad that I can finally forget this project now and probably move on for the next challenge. I have three 'nearly finished' FMs under construction, but only time will tell if I ever get this far anymore.

Thanks for posting this thread, Izeman. The briefing is excellent, I thought that one have to be a professional video guru with expensive professional tools to be able to make something as good as your briefing.
    Keep the feedback coming please, about my mission and Izeman's briefing.
    That's the only 'reward' me (and Izeman) will get from this.

Here's the direct download link.
    Izeman - could you edit the first post and put the link there as well?

http://thiefmissions.com/info.cgi?m=ProfaneAscension

Quote Originally Posted by sluggs
    Very good briefing Izeman. I thought it was great and had some nice atmosphere. I just finished this FM again.

My only complaint is that some of the things i listed as needing fixing in the Beta version just hadn't been done, like the phantom lights.
    Huh?
    What's wrong with the phantom lights? I thought I really fixed them... at least they worked on my computer now!
    What other things you noticed... I tried to fix all the bugs that you found.
    BUT... Remember, all those weren't bugs - some of them are features.

They still appear when walked into i'm afraid. The other things were really minor, like banners back-to-front. The biggest one for me is the floating wall just after the start of the mission, past the first entrance. It looks crazy!

Don't worry Tomi, these don't spoil the mission at all. I should just shut my big gob. But then again... This is what you hired me for... It's a funny old World it is!
    Last edited by sluggs; 15th Jul 2004 at 09:15.

my combined forum/PM reply to sluggs

Quote Originally Posted by sluggs
    They still appear when walked into i'm afraid. The other things were really minor, like banners back-to-front. The biggest one for me is the floating wall just after the start of the mission, past the first entrance. It looks crazy!

Don't worry Tomi, these don't spoil the mission at all.
    Damn. I tried to fix those banners, but I'm terrible at noticing those things myself! I also think that I fixed the floating wall... Well, hopefully no one pays attention to it when playing. I believe they might have better things to do on the Courtyard!!
    Oh, and thanks for the moon. It really does suit my mission.

*blackjacks Sluggs*

Ouchies!

Okay you scared the **** right outa me

Weak hearts indeed. Catacombs, didn't expect her.

Nicely done, I remember the old fm and you outdid yourself my friend.

None of us expected that!

Christ, I thought nothing in Thief games could ever scare me as bad as the Cradle, but
    spoiler:
    ghost at the entrance of the Catacombs
    nearly made me fall of my chair

Ooh yeah , gotta check this one out .

Just downloaded, I'm off to play... really looking forward to this one!

Archivist
    Great news Well done Tomi for converting your mission to Thief 2. I hope that more Thief 1-Thief 2 conversions from other authors will follow. Its just great to play an old TDP mission that is remade for Thief 2.
    Downloading the mission now!

You should all play this, even if you played Deadly Darkness. It's greatly improved and has changed a lot. It has some really neat stuff added and I had a blast betatesting it. As has been noted above, if you have a weak heart, take your medicine BEFORE you play it.

Congratulations, Tomi!

Oh epithumia edited my first post before I had the chance. Thanks Jason

Stupid work.

Gotta be here all day and then I have a performance tonight so won't be able to see/play/experience this until midnight at least.

Grrrrrrrrrr.

Stupid real life getting in the way of new missions.

Oh yeah, Congrats on the release Tomi...can't wait to try it!

help

eh, could someone tell me where i can find this message Lacator has hidden in his quarter's I checked the grandmaster's quarters, no secret switches, nothing. There is a diary though but my objective hasn't ticked off.

Quote Originally Posted by shadows
    eh, could someone tell me where i can find this message Lacator has hidden in his quarter's I checked the grandmaster's quarters, no secret switches, nothing. There is a diary though but my objective hasn't ticked off.
    Remember the room in Lancaster's quarters with the bath tub and all of the tile flooring? To the right of it is a room with a dead body, look inside there for a hidden lever (it isn't all that hard to find).

Anyway, this mission was great fun. And I have to admit...I was another victim of the big heart attack-inducing jump moment.
    spoiler:
    I KNEW something like that was coming too! The moments where something quickly appears in front of you followed by a loud sound effect ALWAYS get me! I also jumped out of my skin when that huge face appeared in the vault in Ominous Bequest.
    Great work- my only complaint is that with this many torches and zombies I could of used more than a handful of water arrows...ah well...I guess that's what the holy sword is for.

A couple other great moments no one has mentioned yet:
    spoiler:
    When the dead body slams against the skylight in the library, and when you pick up the mask in the catacombs and get blinded. That last one sent me into kind of a panic, hehe. I also loved the idea of having to follow that ghost in the kitchen holding the lantern into the secret tunnel if you wanted to know where you were going.

Thanks Mike!

Good mission. Nice effects - especially that
    spoiler:
    ghose coming at ya

YAY! This mission's here! Well, not on my computer yet. Gotta wait an hour for it. Ah, the wonders of dial-up. But still . . . YAY!

Did I see holy sword in this thread?

She's not a maniac, a raving thing, she just goes a little mad sometimes.
    I'm not suffering from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

*drool*

Awesome! Just finished it with over 15,000 damage dealt. God, that one part is jumpy as hell all right. I knew I had to watch out for something in the catacombs, which made sense, but I thought that I'd have to get passed a locked door before I was in any danger. Plus, when I went down the stairs, I didn't realize I was heading for the catacombs. Then, I opened the door, and about 20 years got shaved off my life. I absolutely ADORE the blue haunts, I love 'em, I love 'em! Cool idea!

But now that I've had the living shit scared out of me, I need to unwind. I need to play a nice, tame mission that's nowhere near as scary. Let's see . . . Return to the Cathedral on expert, why not?
    Last edited by TheNightTerror; 15th Jul 2004 at 17:56.

Hehe, it's funny how all the testers and now you have mentioned this scary little thing. I played with this idea three years ago but I never knew how to make it work properly. Now it works... I suppose!
    Thanks for all your comments and feedback so far. What do you think of the briefing? (everyone has seen it, right? if you're on Windows XP, it might not work without a little fix)

I guess we all mentioned it because some of us keep a list of top 10 scariest moments in an FM, and that moment knocked whatever was in 1st place down to 2nd. Plus, I don't think anyone's ever done anything like that before. There's been a few moments in other FMs, good ol' Ominous Bequest springs to mind, where you go through a door and are greeted by something that appears out of nowhere, but it doesn't charge you while screaming.

The briefing was awesome, though, the picture quality was good, there weren't any massive blocks in the picture, and the sound was pretty good. Definitely gets from me. The whole FM does, though, but still. BTW, I'm running XP, and it played just fine.

Is it just my mind going crazy on me again, or was that Lonestar who did the voice acting for Garrett in the briefing? I thought he'd retired from voice acting, but maybe I'm horribly mistaken.