TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 114 FirstFirst ... 234567891011162126313641465156106 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Mod

Quote Originally Posted by jay pettitt
    There is an unexpected feature with sound occlusion and doors in theif 3. Leaning against a closed door will fix the bug and the sound will occlude properly once you lean away. Shame that.
    I guess that carries throughout the game.

Well, a question with regard to that, if anyone knows - does that affect only the player's hearing of sound, or does it also affect AI hearing of sound, and thus their behavior? If the former, it's a cosmetic annoyance. If the latter, that is a major defect ISA needs to fix.

It's cosmetic. I don't know for sure if AI are affected, but it certainly doesn't notice.

for those worried about framerates in areas more wide open than most of the corridors throughout the first 80%+ of doom3, you should know that the last part of doom3 takes place in hell, which has considerably larger open spaces with higher poly counts, jagged rocks and cliffs and pits of lava, and it still runs just as well out there

Moderator and Priest
    Plus you have the monorail ride over the surface of Mars, that's the highest poly portion of the game and comes close to rivaling UT2k landscapes as far as details go....but there isn't any AI on display there besides the guy in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic
    Plus you have the monorail ride over the surface of Mars, that's the highest poly portion of the game and comes close to rivaling UT2k landscapes as far as details go....but there isn't any AI on display there besides the guy in the back.

yeah i noticed that it looked quite nice and still got great fps.. i wish you could have ridden outside for a little longer to watch the scenery

Moderator and Priest

I think you're all forgetting the most important thing.

Will there be rope arrows??

You'll have to see.

As will we....

looking good Renz. You're importing these as meshes rather than fiddling around with radiant right?

Moderator and Priest
    Nope, the bed and chairs are just patches done inside of Radiant. I'm slowly getting more and more acquainted with Max, so it won't be too long til I start importing meshes from there.

If you import tham as meshes, won't you be able to apply physics to it?
    Can you do that with a patch?

Do you guys REALIZE how much @$$ this kicks. This kicks not less than 90 different types of @$$. Between this and NightBlade I wont even have to buy Thief 3. MMMMM MODS. I think Im going to have to go out and buy doom 3 JUST so I can play this.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese_thief
    If you import tham as meshes, won't you be able to apply physics to it?
    Can you do that with a patch?
    That's a good question. I haven't even begun to dive into the physics engine yet so I can't give you a definitive answer, but if it's something as simple as applying a trigger to an object then you could use it on any type of geometry the game is capable of supporting.

I'll go look it up and see what I can do with it.

Well, the patch just came out. Here's hoping the SDK will quickly follow

DarkMOD? Very good idea. Great idea exactly. But please be careful with EMBM to avoid the "plastic look".

My best wishes to you!!!!
    Mistakes in the post are intended and were made for the amusement of the audience...

Rock and Roll aint noise pollusion....

Excuse me for not reading through all the pages, but will the shadows be as black as Doom 3s?

Example:
    http://w1.500.telia.com/~u50025293/D...arkshadows.jpg
    Can't remember but it seemed that AIs cast shadows that are just as dark (can't see anything).
    Last edited by Kaleid; 29th Sep 2004 at 11:28.

Moderator and Priest
    Some will, but not all. Doom 3 doesn't seem to use much in the way of ambient lighting, which makes the shadows appear more stark and contrasted.

Edit: Here ya go, a basic ambient light entity keeps the shadows from being fully dark.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 29th Sep 2004 at 12:28.

well.. shadows should be dark
    not completely black, but not just "slightly darker areas" like in dx2

Renzatic
    Thanks for the pic, that shadow looks good and not too dark.
    Good luck to those that are involved.

Nice door, too, eh? Nice door.

Nice floor

looks very promising. so much in fact its gotten me into doom3 modding. doom3world.org is getting at least 20 hits a day from me alone.

if ya dont mind me asking, is there a specfic texture pack you are using or do you guys make your own?

also the patch work on those chairs/tables is damn nice, I've worked with max and (briefly) with patches in radiant, and its seems like a bitch and a half to do that in radiant.

Moderator and Priest
    lol, that door represents my greatest textural achievement. Blackthief provided it and it was just too good to do a rush job on, so after about 7 hours of combined work, a load of normalmaps, and 15 specularmaps later...DOOOOOR!

I learned alot over those couple of days, my days of dooring it up.

Quote Originally Posted by picklocke
    If ya dont mind me asking, is there a specfic texture pack you are using or do you guys make your own?

also the patch work on those chairs/tables is damn nice, I've worked with max and (briefly) with patches in radiant, and its seems like a bitch and a half to do that in radiant.
    We're using a few textures from the free Blade pack I found awhile ago (forgot who the artist was, but he's good), but most of them are either culled from random places around the the internet (wallpaper and home decor sites are good) or taken on the spot during Blackthief's wanderings around Germany...the door is an example of the latter.

Working with patches in Radiant isn't all that hard once you get used to it, but if you really want an excellent example of props done in the editor you should check out Rgun's work...my stuff is more or less inspired by his.

Edit: For Rgun's stuff. If he finishes up his mod it'll be at least worth a look.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 29th Sep 2004 at 16:22.

ThieveryUT

Rgun's stuff is interesting, seems quite Thief I'ish. Blackthief's textures sound intriguing.

Though... the Doom3 engine from those shots (haven't played it yet, new computer next week though), doesn't impress me terribly. Environments seem low poly and a bit angular for my taste, the one dimensional feel of the lighting doesn't help.

Err, that's not a criticism of anybody in particular, just that the unified lighting system requires too many compromises for my taste.

It'd be great if U2K4 had bump-maps, though, they're very useful visually.

Anyway, back to work.. keep up the good work anyway!

tchao

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, my map is a little low poly...but that has more to do with not having enough detailing textures than it does with the engine itself. It can't approach UT2k3-4's polycount, but it can handle a fair amount.

But the lighting, I have to disagree with you on that. With a some care and attention to detail you can produce lighting that puts just about everything out there to shame. When you finally have the game play around with the editor a bit, once you get used to all the nuances of the engine you might end up being impressed.

Page 6 of 114 FirstFirst ... 234567891011162126313641465156106 ... LastLast