TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 70 of 114 FirstFirst ... 202530354045505560656667686970717273747580859095100105110 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 2826

Thread: The Dark Mod

Classical Master 2008
    Now that's impressive, and certainly more so than forum bickering! Cool pictures ( the file is number 5 in a 6-part series ), and nice to see how TDM looks at a lower ambient light level than previous previews.

This might be amusing. Until recently we had an issue with AI becoming overly alert when seeing an arrow fly by. Mortem Desino shot this video in a WIP tavern he is creating.

http://www.filefront.com/14470535/arrowflight.wmv

It's actually a very good example of how you can use our (relatively) new sitting behaviour to create a pretty believable tavern environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Springheel View Post
    Take a deep breath. Hold it.... Ok, let it out. Feel better?
    Amazing!

I like how the light gem is understated and not distracting. Where is the health bar?

jtr7
    Always impressive.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Krush the Second View Post
    Where is the health bar?
    Only shows if it's less than 100% on top of the light gem. It's very discreet.

If there is one thing about The Dark Mod which I'm slightly concerned about, it's having to aim at the head to get a knockout. I found it fairly tough in Saint Lucia. I think it's because my mind is usually absorbed with working out my approach and considering sneaking routes instead of immediate combat.

I know things may have changed, but it would be nice to know what it's like.

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    Only shows if it's less than 100% on top of the light gem. It's very discreet.
    Yeah, I just noticed that recently. It looks very good.

We can describe and describe for you what to expect. You won't actually know what its like until you play it. It definitely does have its challenges. I do think its needed. I am so used to thief now, the AI are so very easy. Some things people will just have to get used to and get better with time as the game progresses, and the more they play. Things are new with this, you can't expect it to be just like thief, because its not. To me in a lot of ways, its better, I like both, the dark mod and thief. Call this an extension to Thief.

As for black jacking it used to be very challenging to knock out, its gotten easier. You just have to time things, and get right up on them. Sometimes I just beat the crap out of them until they go down. :P And some AI are easier to knock than others. Regardless, you can knock out, no doubt about it. Hey, we've even done frontal knockouts!
    Last edited by BrokenArts; 7th Oct 2009 at 01:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    If there is one thing about The Dark Mod which I'm slightly concerned about, it's having to aim at the head to get a knockout.
    This has been addressed and is no longer an issue. Black jacking is painless now...well, except for the poor sod getting clobbered.

jtr7
    Is that cool vid gonna be uploaded to YouTube?

The 3 missions that will be released with TDM will be one story or different ones?

Different stories. Chalice of Kings is subtitled Thief's Den II but it is only loosely related in that it takes place in another bigger thief's den (the den not the thief) and the player is the same character and it takes place just after Thief's Den I (honest!) This will be followed by an even bigger one, Heart of Lone Salvation, in which Sam, the player character's informant (remember he provided the map and pushed the key under the door in Thief's Den I?) plays a small part.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidcal View Post
    it takes place in another bigger thief's den (the den not the thief)
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

There are more FM's in the works, besides the release of the dark mod beta.

Not long before that arrowflight video, I decided to mess with every AI setting, spawnarg, and cvar I could find.

Hilarity ensues.

http://www.filefront.com/14461371/BarFight.wmv/

Do we have any idea of a release date yet???

jtr7
    A release of fists into faces, or a release of spittle.

Or maybe a specialized small fruit launching paintball gun that releases dates at high speeds?

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the release of the mod..We were told it might be out about the first week of October after it was tested by a group of outsiders..

After all if all we hear is silence we do not want people to start making Duke Nukem Forever jokes about this super awesome mod like the DNF jokes for Half Life 2.

I don't know if anyone actually said the first week of October, is there a post where one of us said that? I do know Springheel said that we didn't expect anything exciting before the end of September, and that the next time we 'update' the website will probably be to say we've given the beta to some sanity testers, and that the release would likely be 1 to 2 weeks from that point. I don't think we've given any real firm deadlines. I suppose what he said could have been interpreted as the first of October, but that isn't what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    I don't think we've given any real firm deadlines.
    Whenever you do, my copy of DOOM 3 is sitting, waiting. Lord knows I'm not going to use it for anything else ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Komag View Post
    I thought it was funny , but I was raised on my Dad's dry humor

but seriously, people might as well just sit back and wait for a bit because it's going to probably be a while yet, there's quite a bit to iron out
    Actually I also found it funny, because it was an obvious response and should have been easily identified as such from the context.

I do know Springheel said ... the next time we 'update' the website will probably be to say we've given the beta to some sanity testers, and that the release would likely be 1 to 2 weeks from that point
    Yep, and I haven't updated the website yet. As long as there's no update, you know the release is at least a week or two away yet.

We don't want to set a firm release date until we're absolutely sure we can meet it. But don't worry, things are going well.

Quote Originally Posted by Springheel View Post
    But don't worry, things are going well.
    Nice to hear time to time

Go on!

If you want some more places to host this fantastic mod can I suggest contacting these sites..

http://www.gamearena.com.au/

http://games.on.net/

http://www.ausgamers.com/

One major problem I can foresee is that if you put out a message that the mod will be released at such and such a time, because it will be so popular the two hundred million people who will try to download it will swamp the servers and probably crash them...Bit torrent is another place it could get released to...

Bittorrent is the solution, IMHO.

Page 70 of 114 FirstFirst ... 202530354045505560656667686970717273747580859095100105110 ... LastLast