TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 114 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328333843485358108 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Mod

I think Half-Life 2 might be a better platform in some respects; the scale of levels in general can be a lot larger and expansive, it has a more established community (many things from HL1 still apply in HL2), and the ability to display many more characters / AI's on-screen than D3. However, it doesn't have a universal shadow system like D3, which is probably important for a game like Thief that relies so heavily on the mechanic. I am also unsure of details for the sound systems in HL2, while D3 is confirmed to support these features.

But, these are still only assumptions, compared to concrete results with D3; we still have to wait until HL2 is actually released, of course. Great job on the work so far though, captures the Thief atmosphere nicely.

Sure wish Ion^H^H^H id would hurry the hell up with the SDK.
    Whoa creepy... and there it is. Move out! Go! Go! Go!

Doom 3 SDK

Hmm...

*idea*

"Sure wish Ion Storm would hurry the hell up with the SDK."

Moderator and Priest
    \/

as well as this: www.iddevnet.com

Now go implement rope arrows and combinable items. Pretty please?

I encourage everybody to check out the latest render of the Thief model - detailing is coming along very nicely, if I do say so myself.

I don't understand something here - how is it that when we make Fan Missions for thief we're allowed to use the likenesses, but for the Dark Mod, another non-profit project, we have to use generic characters.

Erm...go ask a lawyer. Seriously though, in your fan mission, take whatever risks you like, call em Hammers, Garrett, Keepers. Do whatever you want. It's your mission. I'm sure no one will stop you.

However, we can't release that intellectual property as a direct competition to Thief 3, now can we? Don't worry, our likenesses will be close enough for you to be able to call them whatever you like. You can set your fan missions in the City, or in your crazy own world. Do whatever.

The campaign which the Dark Mod team will move on to once the main TCing is done, will very probably be an entirely different universe to the Thief universe. But that's just because we want to take it in new, exciting, more liberating directions.

Because we would be taking their intellectual(or otherwise) property from the Thief 1/2 game and using it in ANOTHER game.
    When we make FM's we are still using it with THEIR game.
    I haven't lost my mind,
    I have it backed up on disk.
    Oops bad sectors! Damn floppys!
    ICQ#1747197

So we could get sued for using intellectual property in a manner that gives us absolutely no financial gain?

That's kinda like me getting sued for drawing a picture of Garrett and posting it here.

Yep - it takes away from projected sales, basically. All Ion Storm (or Eidos) would have to prove is that they could have made money by making a Thief game for the Doom 3 engine. Thus, we'd be taking away from anticipated sales.

Moderator and Priest
    Not only that, but if a company doesn't protect it's copywrites they could potentially lose it and have it become public domain, if they let a few infringements slip by and go after another later they won't have as much legal grounding to stand on. If it keeps happening then eventually they won't be able to do anything at all and the property goes up for grabs. That's one of the many reasons why most of the big publishers go after even the smallest mods based on their intellectual property.

Oh, and according to Nexenizer and Fingernail, the SDK is more than we could've ever hoped for. They seem to be more than pleased with what it's capable of.

Well maybe I'll just make MY FM under an anonymous username. You guys wouldn't rat me out, wouldja?

Bah Fingernail posted while I was editing :P
    I haven't lost my mind,
    I have it backed up on disk.
    Oops bad sectors! Damn floppys!
    ICQ#1747197

There would be no ratting.

Still Subjective
    So what is the SDK capable of? Will you be able to do everything you wanted? And more? Rope arrows? That you can swing on?

DeepOmega - I've been following that model over at CG. It's arms and legs are look short. For the arms it's the upper arm that is too short, the forarems seem ok.

Whats the exact purpose of Thief Character model? Will Dark Mod support Third person mode or this model is just a concept art? what about body awareness, any plans for that?

Talking just about model sketch, DeepOmega, the "plate" thingy between legs does not suit much...can't it be made more blending and pleasing?

Quote Originally Posted by Aditya
    Whats the exact purpose of Thief Character model? Will Dark Mod support Third person mode or this model is just a concept art? what about body awareness, any plans for that?

Talking just about model sketch, DeepOmega, the "plate" thingy between legs does not suit much...can't it be made more blending and pleasing?
    We do intend to give body awareness a go, but we are not supporting 3rd person, the editing tools will be following T1 and T2 in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic
    Oh, and according to Nexenizer and Fingernail, the SDK is more than we could've ever hoped for. They seem to be more than pleased with what it's capable of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect
    So what is the SDK capable of? Will you be able to do everything you wanted? And more? Rope arrows? That you can swing on?
    I was going to ask the same: rope arrows, swimming, AI responding to sound and light and dark, mantling, and teh like?

We have all kinds of exciting plans. But don't worry, swimmable water and rope arrows are definitely on our radar. Not to mention some new things, like guards with multiple weapon choices, lantern-carrying AI, and some new equipment for our thief.

Ooh, ooh! Glass-cutter with suction cup!

*cough* Better leaning!

Still Subjective
    I think the 1st port of call(s) has to be recreating all the Thief gameplay elements like proper leaning, rope arrows, blackjack knockouts, swimmable water etc. THEN go on to the other stuff.

Doesn't D3 already have body awareness?
    There is an option in the config.ini, ShowPlayerShadow, or something, that shows the players shadow, but no player model, or is there?
    The way shadows are cast in D3 lead me to believe that there is actually an invisible player model beneath you that casts a shadow, so maybe body awareness is in...

Moderator and Priest
    It can....sorta. The player model isn't invisible, the camera is actually floating a little in front of it so that you never see it ingame. I think it was Nex (not too sure, it's been awhile) that positioned the camera directly in the model's head to simulate a rough form of body awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic
    It can....sorta. The player model isn't invisible, the camera is actually floating a little in front of it so that you never see it ingame. I think it was Nex (not too sure, it's been awhile) that positioned the camera directly in the model's head to simulate a rough form of body awareness.
    Yeah, I tried that awhile ago. LOL Didn't work too well, but now with the SDK, hopefully it will work out much more nicely.

Page 8 of 114 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328333843485358108 ... LastLast